“Amazining/Breathtaking/Oasis/Perfect/Romantic/One Of A Kind!!!”
Review of Jamaica Inn

Jamaica Inn
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston
“Amazining/Breathtaking/Oasis/Perfect/Romantic/One Of A Kind!!!”
Reviewed 11 May 2010

After spending the first half of our vacation at a large all-inclusive we wanted the remainder of our trip to be nothing but laying on the beach under the sun. The Jamaica Inn offered that and much much more. The positive reviews on Tripadvisor and other sites are 100% true about this place. The facilities and grounds in itself are amazing and brings back the charm of traveling and staying at a top-notch hotel from days long past.
Every-room overlooks the private beach with a its own balcony or terrace. The furnishing are top grade with beautiful wood furniture and a spacious bathroom and walk in closet. There is nothing more romantic than having a bottle of wine with your dinner while the sun sets on your terrace overlooking the blue warm ocean!
The beach in itself is worth the trip. We have traveled to many places in the Carribean and this is by far the nicest beach we have been to. The sand is white, the water is shallow warm and blue. You can grab a pair of snorkles and swim off to the nearby reef and see some beautiful fishes...And it is literaly only fifty feet from the Beach-bar! We saw more fish there than we did renting a guide to take us. Toney, the local fisherman took us out on his boat for some evening fishing one day. Fifteen minutes into our excursion I caught a twenty pound Kingfish and the chef was kind enough to cook the fish for me for dinner. Nothing better than eating something you caught two hours before...definetly one of the highlights of the trip for me. Thanks Toney!
Like previously stated, the hotel is top notch, the beach amazing and meals were spectacular. But what sets this place apart is the staff and management at the Jamaica Inn. This is a family business and has been so since the days of Marily Monroe and Hemingway. Peter and his brother run the Inn now with the help of Mary. We had the pleasure of meeting both Peter and Mary during our stay. That is a common theme there, the staff are exceptionally helpful and seem to know who everyone is that is staying with them....always a smiling face will be my lasting impression of the staff. And of course Teddy the legendary mixologist at the BeachBar for over fifty-two years! Teddy is an encyclopedia, storyteller and the maker of one of the best piña colada I have ever drank....he Man has stayed with the same employer and spent over a half century doing one job...you can trust him with your drink! YouTube him - the Man is not only a Jamaica Inn institution but a Jamaican institution.
With all this said, please keep in-mind that the Inn can be expensive and not for everyone. But for the price, you are staying at one of the nicest hotel in the Carribean, on one of the best beaches, and spectacular food. Also, if you are expecting a place where MTV will host their next springbreak party this is not the place for you. The clientele at the Inn are repeated customers who want a low-key place to enjoy a Red Stripe or two under the sun! The Inn will always have a special place in my heart since it was on their terrace a few nights ago under the beautiful sky overlooking the ocean that I proposed to my fiancé. Thank everyone for your hospitality at the Inn, as we are planning our next trip back already!!

4 Thank Chau81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
Warwickshire
Reviewed 10 May 2010

We transferred to Jamaica Inn from Strawberry Hill, Kingston (also highly recommended). The first glimpse of the sea through the open plan reception area was magical. As we checked in the receptionist knew where we'd just come from and within seconds we were also greeted by Peter, the owner. Only a few moments later, Mary, the manager came up to introduce herself and I & I the resident spaniel. A warm and personal introduction to the ambience that pervades this hotel. It is charming, elegant,intimate and friendly. That personal touch continued throughout our stay.

Nothing disappointed. The rooms are wonderfully relaxing with their views and proximity to the beach and sea. The food is varied and classy. The beach and sea are paradise and uncrowded and free from the hassles of a public area. The staff an service are impeccable. Guests are encouraged to mingle as if at a country house party but without feeling under any untoward pressure.

We took a boat trip to the falls with Tony and Marvin and were treated as VIPs, being guided up personally unlike all other groups who were in a chain of 20 or more. We hadn't asked for this and so it was clearly down to where we had come from or who had brought us.

Clearly many guests were regulars which added to the overall atmosphere of relaxed bonhomie.

We can't wait to go back. Whilst there's always an attraction in trying somewhere new the fact that with Jamaica Inn you know how beautiful it will be, how unspoilt the beach, how well you'll be treated, makes an irresistable call.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PapaBirdWarwickshire
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I am writing this review on our last day of our 10 day stay at the Jamaica Inn with my partner. The trip was a birthday gift to me from my other half and from the moment it was booked in 2009 I have waited with great anticipation as to what the Jamaica Inn would be like. It was our first ever stay in Jamaica only having been here for a day trip off a Celebrity Cruise back in 2006. Peter, my other half read about the Inn in a Sunday Times review piece and knowing I love the luxury of boutique hotels thought he would treat me in great style to a stay here. Thanks to the Volcanic Ash incident our first attempt to get here was aborted but thanks to Caribtours (our tour operator) and staff at the Jamaica Inn we were able to travel the following week which was greatly appreciated given the circumstances

We arrived as weary travellers on 24 April and here we now are on the 3 May, rejueventated, rested, totally pampered and very grateful to the whole ambience of the Jamaica Inn which has made our stay so memorable. Our room No 30 is a superior balcony suite and when we awoke on the Sunday after arriving in the evening we opened the balcony doors to enjoy the most fabulous vista of the idyllic beach and blue shades of the carribean right on the doorstep. Everyday we have taken in this view of the private beach, which is never crowded, there is so much space and the lovely sunbeds, beach towels in abundance...., sea water sports, beach bar, great bar and beach staff mean you want for nothing when you are there. The ocean just invites you in for regular refreshing dips and although a small, but adequate fresh water pool is available just behind the beach, the sea swimming in the safe secluded sandy bay is the best I've experienced.....it even beats my memories of Mauritius, Barbados and Cayman Islands where we have enjoyed similar opportunities.

Our suite although not one of the biggest or luxurious certainly lives up to the 'welcome home' ethos the hotel creates every part of your stay - we viewed all the other options of rooms yesterday (all have fab sea views), from suites to private cottages (all possibles for a return stay which is definitely the way we are thinking at the present time), but even when Mary - the very attentive and professional General Manager offered to upgrade us to try the luxurious Cowdray suite we realised the location and facilities offered in room 30 were all we wanted. The balcony has a luxurious sofa to lounge on in the afternoons, we have enjoyed breakfast on our terrace and the fridge has been stocked with our favourite drinks and we have grown to love the familiar greeting and daily chat with the lovely housekeeping staff who have looked after our room so well, so moving would have taken us away from that...... The white and blue decor complemented by the dark antique furniture with the fresh flowers, candles and luxury towels make this a real haven. i loved the dressing room facility and although the bathroom is a little dated (however all the other rooms we viewed had newly refurbished bathrooms so our guess is this is likely for our room eventually) - it was fabulously clean and everything accommodated for. The only suggestion I would make is possibly the fitting of a better hairdryer which can be used away from the bathroom and this is only personal as I have long hair which takes a while to dry and therefore means the other half cannot have his time in the bathroom without me?

I dont feel I have enough time to really give this review of the Jamaica Inn justice really except to say that if you value high level customer service, that lovely feeling of being part of a small community (some guests have been repeat visitors for many years and some of the staff such as Teddy & Donald worked here for nearly 40 years!!) and want to chill out, rest and enjoy paradise this is the place for you. I loved the fact the building is steeped in history (Marilyn Monroe has stayed here and Noel Coward often used to frequent the bar to name a few!) and has a wonderful elegance, antique and colonial feel. If you want all mod cons, purpose built facilities then maybe this is not the place for you, but I would find it hard to understand anyone who fails to have a wonderful time here.

We have enjoyed the spa facilities, a sunset massage for two overlooking the ocean - fantastic...... we especially loved the boat trip with Tony & Marvin from www.sunshinewatersport.com who are the hotels preferred supplier in this area - they did a personal trip for us to Dunns River Falls, Laughing Waters and took us to some snorkelling spots - looking after us every step of the way, making sure we got ahead of the cruise ship customers who take over Dunns River falls when a ship is into port - Tony basically is a 'man in the know' and having just completed our first every fishing trip with him this morning (he motivated us to get up at 6am!) where we caught 4 large tuna fish, one of which the hotel is cooking for us tonight - we would certainly recommend his services.

Another highlight of our stay was our garden tour with Mr Henry the head gardener - he personally took us around the lovely gardens and thanks to his lovely presentation of the gardens made us really appreciate the beauty of this tropical island plus all the effort that goes into the fine landscaped lawns of the Jamaica Inn.

Afternoon tea is served daily on the terrace of the Inn, and you can even have it served in your room for a $5 charge - we did this on more than one ocassion, watching the ocean and enjoying our books. Tuesday Evening is the night your are invited to a welcome drinks party on the lawn and Mary and her team make you feel most welcome... We particularly enjoyed chatting with Charlene (Mary's assistant) and Nicole (Marketing Manager) who recommended things we should do, talked about life in Jamaica and their enjoyment at working for the Jamaica Inn.

It is not often you meet the owners of a hotel, but Peter Morrow one of the co-owners came and introduced himself early on and he is often seen mingling and chatting with guests around the Inn. Mary (and her sidekick 'I&I' a beautiful impeccably behaved black spaniel) are great hosts and nothing seems too much trouble and it is clear that Mary motivates her team well to ensure that the customer journey whether you are a loyal convert of the place of a first timer here, you are given the same warm smiles and levels of service.

i know some people will say that well you pay for luxury - but yes this is luxury with a difference, service, smiles and chat all seem so genuine and it is hard to describe how nice it feels to be part of a place that welcomes you to that extent. I could keep rambling on, but special thanks to all the staff who made our stay here so memorable, especially, Smurf on the beach, Johnson, Alvin & Chin at breakfast, Teddy at the beach bar (cocktails recommended), Patience at afternoon Tea, and Georgia with the lovely fruit/rum punches at 11.30 - need I say more??? Can't wait to plan the next trip....

4 Thank Son21
Armonk, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I just had to write and let you know that our recent visit to Jamaica Inn
was truly memorable.
Mary philips ( the manager for the last 9 years) and the staff (and owners Eric and Peter Morrow) are to be congratulated on maintaining the incredible style that has been evident on each of the 10 times we have visited since 1988.
Ms Philips' personal responsiveness to several requests was most appreciated.
The food service was without doubt the best it has ever been and the
fact that one could order a la carte was much more user friendly
especially with changing eating habits these days.
Of course we all miss the amazing buffet lunches of yesteryear but my
nutritionist is very happy!!!
I also appreciated the fact that the piano was recently tuned!!
Highly recomended.

1 Thank rheath9142
Boston
Reviewed 18 April 2010

Years ago, while sitting in a jacuzzi in snowy Vermont, I heard some people talking about the Jamaica Inn. Their description of the hotel piqued my interest, and I've wanted to visit ever since.

I finally got my chance last month, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. The Jamaica Inn is a lush, beautiful and very classy place -- a perfect little gem that's great for rest and relaxation.

The setting, grounds and gardens are lovely (and the hotel's blue color quite unique); and the rooms are charming and comfortable. The outdoor terrace attached to our room was a particular treat. With its couch, reading lamps and large sitting area it had the feel of an outdoor living room. I was perfectly content to spend hours there, just hanging out, relaxing and taking in the tropical view. (Note that all the rooms have these large terraces, in one form or another.)

I would also add that the service at the hotel was impeccable -- the best I've ever experienced anywhere. Most of the staff have been with the hotel for years (always a good sign). Their love for the place really came through and they were always extremely helpful and gracious -- without being obsequious or obtrusive.

The Jamaica Inn is infinitely nicer than the gargantuan all-inclusives one sees on the island (or the Couples San Souci down the road, where the management rudely declined our request to take a walk around their grounds). As others have noted, it's got old fashioned charm; however it's the kind of place that will never go out of style, because its beauty and ambiance are classic.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bequia1
New York, NY
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Jamaica Inn has old school charm that maintains it's original personality from the 1950s. Each room is private, spacious and has postcard-like views from your terrace. You won't find an unhappy customer here, mostly because the clientele has been returning for 20+ years. The owner, Eric, was friendly and intriguing and Mary, the Manager, was in a whole other league. Mary went out of her way to invite us to events (a local polo match) outside of the resort, introduce us to other guests and give us insider info on where to eat and explore. The staff was truly exceptional. Toney, our boat Captain, brought us to local beaches, waterfalls and knows pretty much everything about Ocho Rios. He can be (and should be) hired from any of the hotels in the area (http://sunshinewatersport.com).

If you are looking for R&R, gorgeous pristine beaches (my first requirement), a fabulous spa and to get the feeling of old-world charm in a hotel, this is it!

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sunsandsurf83
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 22 March 2010

The Jamaica Inn delivered on everything promised in the brochure, and had a couple of additional pleasant surprises. An ideal spot for anyone looking for privacy, and comfort. The hotel's staff and management paid close personal attention to us and made us feel very special, which I appreciated. This hotel is located very close to the cruise ship port town of Ocho Rios, but we never left the hotel as we were looking for relaxation and a romantic getaway.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!