“Great Relaxation Place”

Hibiscus Lodge Hotel
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 27 December 2005

I stayed there for 4 nights in 2004. I went for my Cousin's wedding. The establishment is a great place for R & R. The food however is not the greatest. The staff are VERY pleasant and helpful. Although, the owner was very unwelcoming. I would however go back because the environment was very well kept up and the Staff is AMAZING!!!

• Stayed: June 2004
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 17 November 2005

i have just come back from a week at the hibiscus lodge 8/11/05 and thought it was perfect. I was a single female and felt more than safe with the security day and night.resturants,bars and clubs are just 2 minutes away.... the staff are all very friendly and helpful. breakfast was included in the room rate was delicious and varied... the pool was always clean and a good temp and if there is any water sports you wish to do just talk to the lifeguard who will be happy to help. pretty, well cared for grounds. the views were stunning. had a great time and brought back some wonderful memorys...and will returning in 2006.....HAPPY HOLS PEOPLE

• Stayed: November 2005
10  Thank DEBBIE29406
Reviewed 6 September 2005

We utilized Tourwise for our trip to Ocho Rios. They booked our airport transers, wedding day transportation, and all of our attractions. They were perfect for the week! Sue Warnke at Tourwise was awesome. Gave us restaurant recommedations as well. Her email is ----. They made our week outstanding!

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank genesett
manchester england
Reviewed 30 July 2005

Me and my fiancee stopped at hibiscus lodge for 2 weeks from 14 july 2005 . First impressions when we arrived were very good, small but organised rooms , lovely setting overlooking sea and a cracking breakfast . Then first thing in the morning i decided to take a walk , no sooner did i take 2 steps out of hotel grounds i was approached by a local asking if i wanted drugs the first of many occasions and as i made my way through the town it just got worse begging and any other means of extracting money off me i would like to add at this point that my fiancee had no trouble except for the odd elderly lady askin for lunch money a polite no was accepted from her but didn't seem to work for me.
within the hotel,the staff were very friendly and obliging to every need . the hotel owners always had time for us and we spent many a hour putting ocho rios to rights . over all i would definately stay there again if the police could eradicate the hustlers that spoil the beutiful island and hotel .

• Stayed: July 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 July 2005

I stayed at the Hibiscus Lodge July 12-18th, 2005. I traveled with a group of 9 women.

Let me start by saying that my situation seemed to be an isolated incident because the other women in my group liked there rooms and didn’t have any problems.

My first night was pre-paid in May. Check in was not a speedy process. I later found out that the check in process took so long because the rooms that were specifically selected and paid for back in May were possible given to another party. We were also informed that they didn’t have rooms for all of us for the nights that we requested.

After checking in, the first room I was assigned was Rm. 11. Initially the room looked clean. After further inspection I found a massive trail of ants. I began walking the furniture from that point on. I looked up and saw a lizard at the top corner portion of the wall. I went to the front desk to let the staff know that I had ants and a lizard in my room. The person at the front desk said “A lizard in your room” as if that was something that couldn’t be fixed. She told me that someone would spray the room and relieve the ant problem. I went away from my room for approximately 4 hours. When I returned, the ants were still marching from the front door and bathroom to the door leading to the ocean view verandah. Most all rooms at this hotel are ocean view with verandahs.
I had a long day and figured that housekeeping either hadn’t got around to spraying or the room was sprayed but the ants returned; I didn’t smell any chemicals. I stayed in the room for the night but made a point to go to the front desk first thing the next day. The front desk/reception area shuts down sometime after 9pm. The front doors to this hotel are locked and closed from that point on.

The next morning, I told the front desk once again that the ant problem had not been relieved and that I would like to change my room if any were available. No other rooms were available and I was told that the ants would be taken care of today. After returning to my room late in the evening, the ant path had tripled in size. I rushed to the front desk and requested that my room be cleaned with bleach if they couldn’t move me. A staff member came to my room with ant powder. After shaking some in the bathroom he realized ant powder wouldn’t solve the problem. He got on the cell phone and was instructed to change my room. I was then moved to Room 6. Room 6 was no better. It looked like the room no one else wanted when compared to the others in that that particular building. I asked for my room to be cleaned for 2 days. Once again, I walked the furniture; the floor had some minor debris throughout the room, and there were tiny bugs crawling on my nightstand. On the second day I asked the front desk to please move my room. They once again minimized the situation, asking me “So you like room though, you just want it cleaned?” At this point I am so furious with them not trying to accommodate the customer. I guess I made a mistake tipping the maid in the beginning; I did it as an incentive. The gentlemen at the front desk said that he would speak with the housekeeping supervisor. After that day, my room was clean but I was still ticked and felt a bit creeped out (The outdated bed linens didn’t help). The tree frog that made its way into my room didn’t help either.

Breakfast at the hotel in excellent. Dinner was often tasteless, but due to Hurricane Emily I had to dine in more often than not on Saturday. Reilly works in the restaurant and always presented excellent service with a smile.

The hotel grounds are beautiful. There is a bird aviary adjacent to the steps leading to the ocean.

The bartender Nicely (that’s his name) took care of every beverage need no matter how complicated.

I would probably return to the hotel, but I would be specific in asking for a room. The rooms with 1 bed instead of 2 seemed to be nicer and in a more recent renovated building. Rooms that are clean with a great view are Rooms 14-17 and 23-26. Any rooms that are in the building with Rm. 6 and 11 are questionable. Rm. 12 also had ants a huge flying cockroach. Room 6 doesn’t hold up well after a rainstorm. Room 24 is currently being remodeled. Rooms 16 and 17 have adjoining verandahs.

There were 4 weddings during my stay.

• Stayed: July 2005
9  Thank mikata
Reviewed 20 July 2005

We arrived on a Sat. night - downtown Ocho Rios was teaming with people. Our car made it thru the throngs and to the Hibiscus Lodge. After a day of travel we decided to stay and have dinner at Hibiscus' restaurant the Almond Tree, having heard many good reports. There was a wedding reception inside, so we were seated on the patio. We had a very hard time reading the menu in the very dim candlelight. The service was spotty and slow (i.e. Jamaican). We decided on 2 different fish dishes. They were okay, but not outstanding considering the price.

Our room, #25, was at the end closest to downtown. The partying went until after 3:00am - we could hear the loudspeaker and music very well from within our room with the TV and A/C going. Even if it had been quiet, the bed was so hard and uncomfortable, I doubt we'd have slept very well. Our room was upstairs; there are no elevators and the stairs are a little on the steep side. Have someone help you with the bags - worth every penny you might tip. To be fair, I must add that elevators don’t seem to be the norm in Jamaica – even at the Sans Souci they didn’t have elevators.

After having been out all day Sunday on a tour of the surrounding area, we arrived hot and ready for a cool room. Unfortunately the power was out (there had been a few clouds and light rain that day which seems to affect the power supply in Jamaica). The Hibiscus offered to find us another room if the power didn’t come on soon. Thankfully cool air was blowing once again in short order. Except for this short time of no A/C, it worked extremely well. The first night we couldn’t believe finding a blanket on the bed and just laughed. In the middle of the night we were so glad to have that blanket – it was cold! There are no room phones, which would have been okay, but the hotel phone system was out for 2 days. The desk clerk was kind enough to make calls on her cell phone for us to arrange the bike tour.

The bathroom lacked an A/C vent (using a hair dryer made it quite warm so I moved out into the main room to dry hair), and the sink was in one spot and the mirror over to the right - a little unusual. They have a nice little closet with bottom shelves (no hangers), but the door wouldn't open more than 8-10" due to the bottom of the door not being able to clear the rug, so we really couldn’t make much use of it. The room could use some sprucing up; they were painting the room next door so perhaps they are in the process of updating the rooms.

The complimentary full breakfast is served on a delightful covered patio overlooking the water. While the choices for breakfast are not large, the portions are ample and the food arrives hot. Additionally, a plate of fresh fruit, choice of pastries and a slice of delicious cheese is promptly brought to your table upon being seated. An almond tree, the namesake of the restaurant, grows right up through the breakfast area. The food and service were both very good. They remembered us and saved the same table for us every morning (3 mornings). The Hibiscus has a nice bar and they accommodated us one evening and let us order a hamburger without going to the restaurant. The bar is known for the "swing" chairs instead of the usual bar stools. Don't drink too much while sitting on these moving chairs.

The view of the ocean was glorious. Early in the morning men would slowly row across in front of us and just a little ways out past them you could see the cruise ship slowly make its way to port.

The grounds are attractive; there is an aviary with a couple of parrots included and a nice pool area. There is a small man made "beach" you can walk down to that is actually a bricked in raised area, with some chaise lounges. Never saw anyone down there.

This would be a good location if you were interested in exploring downtown.

The staff was courteous and accommodating, but I wouldn't call them overly friendly.

Our stay was satisfactory, with a few minor annoyances. If we were to go to Ocho Rios again, we'd probably try other non-inclusive lodging just to compare.

14  Thank najune
England
Reviewed 25 March 2005

We'd heard mixed opinions on the Hibiscus Lodge from both Tripadvisor reviews and other people on the island. You have to take it for what it is, and it won't suit everybody. This is not an all inclusive hotel, and it's not expensive. The room we stayed in was fine. It overlooked the pool and sea, and was perfectly comfortable. It wasn't special. The Almond Tree restaurant, on the other hand, is special. Every night the food was excellent, and the staff were very friendly and attentive. The shrimp in cream and pepper, which was flambéed before our eyes, was fantastic, as was the chateau briand, and the plantation rice, a kind of Jamaican biryani, was the best jamaican dish we had anywhere. The other attraction of the hotel is the atmospheric garden, with waterfalls, bridges over ponds with numerous fish, turtles and a couple of caged parrots. We took our little boy for numerous walks round the network of paths - he loved it. The hotel pool area is very nice and there is a private beach, albeit artificial, from which snorkelling trips are launched at your convenience. It's not the lap of luxury, but it is good value and the food is to die for. We stayed in February 2005

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member