“Great deal for the price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hibiscus Lodge Hotel

Hibiscus Lodge Hotel
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
California USA
“Great deal for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2006

We were very pleased with our room. We paid an extra $20-$25 for an ocean view and it was amazing! The room had a private lanai that looked straight onto the ocean from atop the cliff. The grounds were lush and tropical with exotic birds located throughout the grounds.

The hotel is conveniently located to markets and late night food vendors, if you dare to walk on the streets late at night. The staff was friendly enough and cleanliness in the room was average but overall our stay was comfortable.

The downsides were that service at breakfast was a bit slow (probably on Jamaican time) and that being atop the cliff there was no beach access. However, there are stairs that lead to the water and we did see people snorkeling just below.

4 Thank stilla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2006

I stayed at the Hibiscus from December 27, 2005 until January 6, 2006. I brought in the New Year in the most incredible place I have ever stayed. The staff at The Almond Tree Restaurant are gracious servers of incredible Jamaican Cuisine. Marvin, the lifeguard, is a very patient, caring person who shares the depths of the ocean reefs and teaches about sea life, anemones, fish, and coral. He makes snorkeling an amazing experience as you swim through coral channels. Make sure to bring an underwater camera!
The rooms have a tropical feel with ceiling fans, full baths, comfortable beds, and air conditioning. Steve will bring you fresh ice and water, and Mosquito will always be there to ask you if you need anything. Polly, the housekeeper, will make sure you have all that you need. Dr. Tennis will teach you tennis lessons.
The staff are more than accommodating, the gardens are filled with a variety of Ginger, palms, coconut, and bread fruit. Colorful MaCaw's say "Hello" as you walk through.
I carry pictures of this place and made a huge scrapbook of the memories. It was a trip that changed my life and I will be returning as much as possible.

• Stayed December 2005, travelled on business
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2005

I stayed there for 4 nights in 2004. I went for my Cousin's wedding. The establishment is a great place for R & R. The food however is not the greatest. The staff are VERY pleasant and helpful. Although, the owner was very unwelcoming. I would however go back because the environment was very well kept up and the Staff is AMAZING!!!

• Stayed June 2004
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SOUTHAMPTON,ENGLAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2005

i have just come back from a week at the hibiscus lodge 8/11/05 and thought it was perfect. I was a single female and felt more than safe with the security day and night.resturants,bars and clubs are just 2 minutes away.... the staff are all very friendly and helpful. breakfast was included in the room rate was delicious and varied... the pool was always clean and a good temp and if there is any water sports you wish to do just talk to the lifeguard who will be happy to help. pretty, well cared for grounds. the views were stunning. had a great time and brought back some wonderful memorys...and will returning in 2006.....HAPPY HOLS PEOPLE

• Stayed November 2005
10 Thank DEBBIE29406
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2005

We utilized Tourwise for our trip to Ocho Rios. They booked our airport transers, wedding day transportation, and all of our attractions. They were perfect for the week! Sue Warnke at Tourwise was awesome. Gave us restaurant recommedations as well. Her email is ----. They made our week outstanding!

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank genesett
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2005

Me and my fiancee stopped at hibiscus lodge for 2 weeks from 14 july 2005 . First impressions when we arrived were very good, small but organised rooms , lovely setting overlooking sea and a cracking breakfast . Then first thing in the morning i decided to take a walk , no sooner did i take 2 steps out of hotel grounds i was approached by a local asking if i wanted drugs the first of many occasions and as i made my way through the town it just got worse begging and any other means of extracting money off me i would like to add at this point that my fiancee had no trouble except for the odd elderly lady askin for lunch money a polite no was accepted from her but didn't seem to work for me.
within the hotel,the staff were very friendly and obliging to every need . the hotel owners always had time for us and we spent many a hour putting ocho rios to rights . over all i would definately stay there again if the police could eradicate the hustlers that spoil the beutiful island and hotel .

• Stayed July 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2005

I stayed at the Hibiscus Lodge July 12-18th, 2005. I traveled with a group of 9 women.

Let me start by saying that my situation seemed to be an isolated incident because the other women in my group liked there rooms and didn’t have any problems.

My first night was pre-paid in May. Check in was not a speedy process. I later found out that the check in process took so long because the rooms that were specifically selected and paid for back in May were possible given to another party. We were also informed that they didn’t have rooms for all of us for the nights that we requested.

After checking in, the first room I was assigned was Rm. 11. Initially the room looked clean. After further inspection I found a massive trail of ants. I began walking the furniture from that point on. I looked up and saw a lizard at the top corner portion of the wall. I went to the front desk to let the staff know that I had ants and a lizard in my room. The person at the front desk said “A lizard in your room” as if that was something that couldn’t be fixed. She told me that someone would spray the room and relieve the ant problem. I went away from my room for approximately 4 hours. When I returned, the ants were still marching from the front door and bathroom to the door leading to the ocean view verandah. Most all rooms at this hotel are ocean view with verandahs.
I had a long day and figured that housekeeping either hadn’t got around to spraying or the room was sprayed but the ants returned; I didn’t smell any chemicals. I stayed in the room for the night but made a point to go to the front desk first thing the next day. The front desk/reception area shuts down sometime after 9pm. The front doors to this hotel are locked and closed from that point on.

The next morning, I told the front desk once again that the ant problem had not been relieved and that I would like to change my room if any were available. No other rooms were available and I was told that the ants would be taken care of today. After returning to my room late in the evening, the ant path had tripled in size. I rushed to the front desk and requested that my room be cleaned with bleach if they couldn’t move me. A staff member came to my room with ant powder. After shaking some in the bathroom he realized ant powder wouldn’t solve the problem. He got on the cell phone and was instructed to change my room. I was then moved to Room 6. Room 6 was no better. It looked like the room no one else wanted when compared to the others in that that particular building. I asked for my room to be cleaned for 2 days. Once again, I walked the furniture; the floor had some minor debris throughout the room, and there were tiny bugs crawling on my nightstand. On the second day I asked the front desk to please move my room. They once again minimized the situation, asking me “So you like room though, you just want it cleaned?” At this point I am so furious with them not trying to accommodate the customer. I guess I made a mistake tipping the maid in the beginning; I did it as an incentive. The gentlemen at the front desk said that he would speak with the housekeeping supervisor. After that day, my room was clean but I was still ticked and felt a bit creeped out (The outdated bed linens didn’t help). The tree frog that made its way into my room didn’t help either.

Breakfast at the hotel in excellent. Dinner was often tasteless, but due to Hurricane Emily I had to dine in more often than not on Saturday. Reilly works in the restaurant and always presented excellent service with a smile.

The hotel grounds are beautiful. There is a bird aviary adjacent to the steps leading to the ocean.

The bartender Nicely (that’s his name) took care of every beverage need no matter how complicated.

I would probably return to the hotel, but I would be specific in asking for a room. The rooms with 1 bed instead of 2 seemed to be nicer and in a more recent renovated building. Rooms that are clean with a great view are Rooms 14-17 and 23-26. Any rooms that are in the building with Rm. 6 and 11 are questionable. Rm. 12 also had ants a huge flying cockroach. Room 6 doesn’t hold up well after a rainstorm. Room 24 is currently being remodeled. Rooms 16 and 17 have adjoining verandahs.

There were 4 weddings during my stay.

• Stayed July 2005