All reviewsalmond treebreakfast was includedswinging barincluded in the room raterooms are cleanjamaican breakfastocean viewclose to townport antonioocho rios townackee and saltfishour honeymoonweddingreefgourmetbartender
Reviewed 12 December 2010

I stayed here after the air conditioner gave out in the first place I booked. There was little water pressure and no working toilet for the first day. The housekeepers were very nice and kept the room clean but the beds were very hard. My biggest problem with H.L. is they hire unfriendly staff to man the front deck. Really bad attitude, quarrelsome and indifferent all at the same time. I have Jamaican friends who have stayed there who had to pay cash upfront even though they had valid California credit cards.
It is an unusual property with beautiful views.The reefs are mostly dead and snorkeling is poor unless you go out in a boat.Jamaicans have pretty much destroyed their shallow water reefs, if you can find them, the fish are beautiful.
Would I stay there again? I`d rather find a place that treats all respectable people the same, so probably not.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank KatNevadaCity
Reviewed 29 March 2010

My husband and I spent two nights at the Hibiscus Lodge when we were on our honeymoon in 1999 and loved it, so we decided to stay there again for one night on our tenth anniversary trip in 2009. I had lived in Jamaica for a few years when I was a child and we are somewhat adventurous people, so on both trips we chose to go with the "Fly/Drive Jamaica" package. With this package, you get a rental car and vouchers to stay at any one of about 55 different hotels around the island, including the Hibiscus Lodge. On our honeymoon, we spent a little extra to upgrade to a nicer room and ended up in a room on the second floor with our own private patio and a lovely ocean view!

We didn't pay extra to upgrade in 2009 but were still very pleased with our room. This was the fourth or fifth hotel we had stayed in during the tenth anniversary trip to Jamaica and each hotel had various issues (such as uncomfortable bed and/or pillows, no hot water and/or weak water pressure for showers, thin towels, broken air conditioner, mosquitoes, holes in window screens, etc.), so when we got to the Hibiscus Lodge, we felt like we had found paradise! The room was spacious and clean, the air conditioner worked, the towels were fine, there was hot water for showers and the water pressure was great, and best of all, the bed and pillows were comfortable! The pool was nice and the hotel gardens were lovely and well-maintained (a great setting for weddings, as other reviewers mentioned). We especially enjoyed watching the sunset from the hot tub, having a drink at the "swinging" bar (the seats swing), and eating a delicious breakfast on the lovely patio overlooking the ocean.

This hotel is on a cliff and does not have a beach, however, there are stairs leading down to a small platform by the ocean, and stairs from the platform into the ocean. The snorkeling here is great! There are reefs a short distance away but we actually saw some of the best fish right by the stairs. Unfortunately we also saw several young Jamaican men walking on the reef while fishing--I hate to think of the ecological damage they were doing!

Ocho Rios can be a little scary but the Hibiscus Lodge is an oasis and we felt safe there. Another reviewer mentioned that someone broke into their room at night--the hotel does have a security guard but you have to be sure to use all of the locks on the door when you're in the room!

All in all, we loved the Hibiscus Lodge and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank panda_fanatic
Reviewed 14 March 2010

there are no phones in the room! i found this strange. there is no beach but there is a swimming area at the foot of the cliff. Amazing view of the caribbean sea if you get an ocean view room. the breakfast is good and service in the breakfast area is excellent, they take a little long though. the property is a little old and it somewhat shows, but it is not awful. the rooms and bathrooms are ok. one point to note, there is not always someone at the front desk, that person leaves in the night and they also lock the gate, so if you are out till late getting in may be a little challenging and since there is no phone in the room, you have to walk to the front desk with any question you may have.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2010

Hibiscus Lodge is really a quaint small hotel in the heart of Ocho Rios town perched on a cliff overlooking the beautiful caribbean sea. It has one of the most afforabale prices you will ever get in Ocho Rios. As you drive, the huge canopy trees muffles out the noise of the busy ochie market street nearby with locals and a warm smile from the receptionist standing on wooden mahogany floors will greet you. The butler will take your lugggage and escort you to your a room and as you pass the lush green garden and small avairy with the colourful squawking parrots you will be glad you came here. Our room was located on the ground floor at the corner overlooking the sea with the jacuzzi and pool just a few metres from our doorstep. The rooms were old fashioned, no telephones or flat screen tv but despite the hotel's age it was well kept. Dinner at the Almond Tree Restaurant (located on property) or drinks at the bar downstairs with swinging chairs was extremely superb. In the morning, we woke up to complimentary full Jamaican breakfast or a light american/european style b/f your choice, while sitting on the cliff shaded by almond trees looking at the divers and local fishermen way below. We also ventured to the foot of the cliff with a small spining stair case that met up with the blue caribbean sea, blue beach lounge chairs awaited us below but we chose to take a brief peek in the cave at the bottom of the cliff. It was truly a magnificent trip with me and my boo. If you are truly just looking for an afforable getaway that will make you feel rejuvenated , I would most definitely choose here.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chrissyandkirk
Reviewed 19 January 2010

last April I got married and had my wedding reception at the Almond Tree Restaurant at the Hibiscus Lodge Hotel. Prior to the wedding some of my family members including myself had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel. It was lovely. I couldn't get over the "REAL" Jamaican breakfast we had each morning. The staff was great and they took care of my every need. When I was looking for a venue for my wedding, I wanted someplace spectacular and I found that at Hibiscus. The grounds are remarkable. Members of my fmily who stayed there had all had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: January 2010