All reviews almond tree breakfast was included swinging bar included in the room rate rooms are clean jamaican breakfast ocean view close to town port antonio ocho rios town ackee and saltfish our honeymoon wedding reef gourmet bartender
Reviewed 12 January 2011

Got to the hotel, and i was quite nervous because i didnt know what to except. when i go to Jamaica i always stay with family, but for this trip i decided i needed to change. When myself and my partner got to the hotel, the first impressions from the outside was that 'this looks nice'. When we entered our room I was amazed the place was so clean and the view we had was amazing. The staff at the hotel are lovely and i felt like i was looked after.I would definately reccomend this hotel

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank krystal1990
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I stayed at this hotel when I came home for my 21st birthday with my bf and my cousin. We had a blast....the owner was really nice and friendly and took pride in making sure that our needs were met. The people at the front dest were nice also. The major issue I had was the long wait for the breakfast in the morning. It just frustrated me. The veiw from our room was awesome. Oh and the fish on the little swimming are was so pretty. I loved it I would definately recommend it to anyone who is lookin for peace, comfort and privacy. I have been to all inclusive hotels and let me say they have nothing on this little hotel....It was AWESOME!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank sIMoNEJamiaca
Reviewed 12 December 2010

I stayed here after the air conditioner gave out in the first place I booked. There was little water pressure and no working toilet for the first day. The housekeepers were very nice and kept the room clean but the beds were very hard. My biggest problem with H.L. is they hire unfriendly staff to man the front deck. Really bad attitude, quarrelsome and indifferent all at the same time. I have Jamaican friends who have stayed there who had to pay cash upfront even though they had valid California credit cards.
It is an unusual property with beautiful views.The reefs are mostly dead and snorkeling is poor unless you go out in a boat.Jamaicans have pretty much destroyed their shallow water reefs, if you can find them, the fish are beautiful.
Would I stay there again? I`d rather find a place that treats all respectable people the same, so probably not.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank KatNevadaCity
Reviewed 29 March 2010

My husband and I spent two nights at the Hibiscus Lodge when we were on our honeymoon in 1999 and loved it, so we decided to stay there again for one night on our tenth anniversary trip in 2009. I had lived in Jamaica for a few years when I was a child and we are somewhat adventurous people, so on both trips we chose to go with the "Fly/Drive Jamaica" package. With this package, you get a rental car and vouchers to stay at any one of about 55 different hotels around the island, including the Hibiscus Lodge. On our honeymoon, we spent a little extra to upgrade to a nicer room and ended up in a room on the second floor with our own private patio and a lovely ocean view!

We didn't pay extra to upgrade in 2009 but were still very pleased with our room. This was the fourth or fifth hotel we had stayed in during the tenth anniversary trip to Jamaica and each hotel had various issues (such as uncomfortable bed and/or pillows, no hot water and/or weak water pressure for showers, thin towels, broken air conditioner, mosquitoes, holes in window screens, etc.), so when we got to the Hibiscus Lodge, we felt like we had found paradise! The room was spacious and clean, the air conditioner worked, the towels were fine, there was hot water for showers and the water pressure was great, and best of all, the bed and pillows were comfortable! The pool was nice and the hotel gardens were lovely and well-maintained (a great setting for weddings, as other reviewers mentioned). We especially enjoyed watching the sunset from the hot tub, having a drink at the "swinging" bar (the seats swing), and eating a delicious breakfast on the lovely patio overlooking the ocean.

This hotel is on a cliff and does not have a beach, however, there are stairs leading down to a small platform by the ocean, and stairs from the platform into the ocean. The snorkeling here is great! There are reefs a short distance away but we actually saw some of the best fish right by the stairs. Unfortunately we also saw several young Jamaican men walking on the reef while fishing--I hate to think of the ecological damage they were doing!

Ocho Rios can be a little scary but the Hibiscus Lodge is an oasis and we felt safe there. Another reviewer mentioned that someone broke into their room at night--the hotel does have a security guard but you have to be sure to use all of the locks on the door when you're in the room!

All in all, we loved the Hibiscus Lodge and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank panda_fanatic
Reviewed 14 March 2010

there are no phones in the room! i found this strange. there is no beach but there is a swimming area at the foot of the cliff. Amazing view of the caribbean sea if you get an ocean view room. the breakfast is good and service in the breakfast area is excellent, they take a little long though. the property is a little old and it somewhat shows, but it is not awful. the rooms and bathrooms are ok. one point to note, there is not always someone at the front desk, that person leaves in the night and they also lock the gate, so if you are out till late getting in may be a little challenging and since there is no phone in the room, you have to walk to the front desk with any question you may have.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple