“Newbie to the Sandals properties.”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Ontario
“Newbie to the Sandals properties.”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We traveled to this resort for the very first time with 3 other couples all of whom had never been to a Sandals property before. Every person that we came across in Jamaica was very nice....things really are "no problem man" I will be returning to Jamaica for sure.

When we arrived at the airport in Montego Bay we had our own Sandals lounge where we could grab a little snack, a cold beer and change into some lighter clothes if we wanted. We sat in the lounge for MAYBE 10 mins before we were asked to head to our bus. The baggage guys already had our luggage on a cart so we just decided to let them take it and we gave them a few bucks. The bus ride I found to be nice because we arrived during the day so it was a nice way to see some of Jamaica as you drive to your resort....yes it is over an hour but I personally did not mind the drive. We stopped for a washroom break and you could buy a cold beer so this allowed us to stretch our legs and reload for the remainder of the drive. Upon arrival to the Sandals property we were promptly greeted with a nice fresh towel and a welcome cocktail. One of the front desk associates went over the check in and gave us our package and then we were guided to our rooms. Check in is normally 3pm so some of the couples in our group did not have their room ready so they had to check back closer to 3pm. Bring your sandals and a change of clothes in your carry on so you can at least change if this ends up happening to you. I found right away that the staff was very nice and would not even let you lift your baggage because you are on holiday's

ROOMS: We booked to stay on the Riviera Seaside because we wanted to be at the ocean and central to the activites. Our room was the "Garden Of Eden" The bedding was nice the room was clean, we had a balcony facing a garden view, there was a free safe in the room, a mini fridge that I thought for sure being a Sandals premium resort it would have some beer in it but NO!! I was a little surprised at this because this was a Sandals property...the ultimate in all inclusive right?? We had asked a few people about getting some beer in the fridge but we never did until we came across the guy that loads the fridge. We asked for a few beer and we got a couple for two days and then nothing for the rest of the week as he said they are hard to come by?? It's just always nice to have a couple cold ones if you decide to head back to the room a little early and relax on the patio. I found that our room was cleaned everyday and promptly but we had one couple in our group that did not get their room cleaned 2 times and when it was cleaned she did not reload the sugar at the coffee station so they didnt have some for the next morning......little things I know but this all makes up the experience as a whole. I know in our room we always had fresh towles, turn down service and the bed was always made.

PROPERTY: The property was well manicured and the gardens and pathways are very beautiful. They have several hot tubs and some nice pools. We spent most of our time on the seaside but we did venture up to the Manor side to spend a day at their big pool. It was nice but I like being by the ocean or sitting in the pool and looking out to the ocean and the manor side does not offer that. They really have lots of areas to choose from depending on what your feeling like. I am not a smoker but I did travel with a few smokers and it seemed that they were always looking for an ash tray. The property is gated so if you want to go from one side to the other you just have to catch the bus and it will take you up the hill and around the bend to get to the Manor side. I believe the bus only ran from 7am until 2am so if your one to party it up to the wee hours you might want to say on the seaside so that you dont have to worry about making the last bus so you can get back to your room. If you are a beach walker do not come here as there is just a tiny stretch of beach and you can walk it in 3 minutes.

NIGHT LIFE: The evening entertainment was great. I found that there was more shows I really wanted to see compared to other resorts that we have gone to. I found that they had some nicer options such as the beach party, the white chocolate party and the steel drum band. The playmakers really do a great job. You could also head to the sundeck on the Riviera side that overlooks the ocean and sit on the nice comfy benches and enjoy a cocktail or you could head down to Jamies and dance the night away--- I loved this disco because it was open to the outside so you could dance bare feet in the sand or in the ocean and it was great. Jamies really took on a nightclub atmosphere come 10pm so if that's not your thing you can take a walk and find a nice fire pit to sit by or grab a beach cabana to lounge in while looking up at the stars. There really is options for all.

FOOD: We found the food to be very good, some portions to be small so I would suggest ordering an appertizer, a starter soup or sald and then your entree just to ensure you leave with a full belly. If your a guy and you want the steak and the chicken entree then you can ask for both and they will bring it, your not limited by what you can order so order away. I found some meals came to us luke warm but the flavour and presentation was there and the food was really good. I did not like that there is no option for a buffet dinner so all of your dinner meals had to be a la carte and you cant make reservations so it's first come first serve sort of seating. The only 2 places that require a reservation is Kelly's Dock Side and Kimonos. We tried to get in to Kelly's but it was fully book for the rest of our stay so if you really want to eat here book it the day you arrive. We got in at Kimonos and found the food to be good but our chef did not put on the show that we have seen at other Japenese Steak houses.....no fire or knife throwing or shrimp tossing. She basically just banged around the flipper and had us do the entertaining with singing and dancing. I was hoping to be the one being entertained. We found that we would go to the resturant for opening and get in to ensure that we could get a seat. I had heard from others that if you decided to head to a certain place to dine for 7 or 8pm but they already had a waiting list they would not allow you in so you would have to go and try somewhere else. We just found it was easier to do an early dinner. Dinner service is also on Jamican time so the early dinner worked out well anyways because we still had the evening afterwards to enjoy before it was time for bed. We ate dinner at the Reef Terrace two times, Neptunes two times, Kimonos, China Doll, and Vallentino's. I enjoyed all of my meals. For lunch they do offer a buffte but we never did the buffet because we were normally in our bathing suits so we opted to enjoy some of the grill and pizza options. We had awesome made to order pizza, coconut shrimp, chicken or beef quesadilla, jerk chicken, rice with beans, jamaican patties, nacho's, burger, fries. Breakfast was a buffet and it had your typical breakfast items.....we ate well everyday. The beer is cold the wine was nice and the drinks are plentful, if you want your drink stonger you just ask because in Jamaica it is "no problem" They have your premuium liquors and a nice selection of fruity drinks.

FYI: Unlike other resorts where you go to the gift shop or the spa and you can just pay cash for your service right there well Sandals does not work like that. They may ask for a credit card at check in as they will charge everything to your room and then at the end of the week you can pay up your final bill. We did not give our credit card number (I refused) because we pay cash. So if I wanted to buy something from the gift shop I had to go from the gift shop get the girl to right up a tag, take it to the front desk, pay cash, they issue a receipt and then I take that back to the gift shop and show the lady and I can leave with my purchases. The only people at this resort that seem to deal with the cash is the front desk so just keep that in mind. I did a spa treatment and they added it to my room so I went right after my treatment and paid the front desk for that service so that it came off the tally for my room. At check out my balance was 0.00 because I paid cash for things as I got them. This meant a trip back and fourth everytime I made a purchase at the gift store but at least I was able to pay with the cash and they did not have access to my credit card. Upon check out a heard a couple disputing a charge on their room for a golf trip that they did not take so this just confirmed my decision to not give them my credit card number.

Overall this was a nice trip. We had great weather...7 days of pure sunshine, the food was tasty, the people were great and the resort offered lots to see and do.

I would not put this Sandals property as the best of the best. I have been to other 5 star resorts and I can honestly say that I have had comparable top knotch service, wonderful food and beautiful rooms with a fully stocked bar fridge and liquor counter so to me these are little touches that Sandals should have had covered. Also the internet was not included and was $50.00 for the week so this was something else that I would have thought Sandals would have had in their ultimate in all inclusive package. I will return to Jamaica hands down but I don't see myself rushing to head back to a Sandals when there are lots of other 5 star hotels to try. Maybe down the road I would like to try the Sandals in St. Lucia.

Room Tip: Riviera Seaside if you want to be near the ocean and central to the water sports and nightly enterta...
4 Thank gurlly16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,508)
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed on the beach side of this resort and loved it. It's about a 3 minute ride from one side to the other,so it's easy no matter where you are. I laughed when I read the reviews that said it takes 15 or 25 minutes. Where were these people going?
The food was very good, and the room, though small, was very pretty with a new, beautifully tiled bathroom.
My only real complaint is that they're always running out of beach towels. It sometimes took trips to 3 towel stands to get them.
One huge plus here is that there's an abundance of chairs at the beach, and plenty of shade. This was a real issue at Sandals in Antigua, and is the sole reason we won't return.
The staff was wonderful. Every day many people came up to us and said hello and asked if we were having a good time. I disagree with reviewers who said they asked for tips. The bus driver did, but he is NOT a Sandals employee. We actually offered tips to a few people who we felt went out of their way for us, and they all refused them.
We have done a lot of traveling, and we loved this resort. No, it's not the most deluxe place we've ever stayed, but it was the most fun.

• Stayed January 2012
8 Thank Beentheredonethay
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The Resort was amazing, the service was incredible, the staff were the friendly people I have ever met. I could walk around for days and not see the same thing twice. Always amazing events going on at night, and activities durning the day. The Beach was great, over 90 pools, and a dozen big pools. one right on the beach with a swim up bar. The Playmakers where great. I would go back in a heart beat. This was my wife and I's best time of our life. The only complaint I had was the beds, not that they were bad, but just a strong firm bed and I am use to a plusher bed.

Room Tip: Both sides of the resort are good, but the Beach side has more restraints than the Rivera side
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Well ladies and gents, I just returned from my Jamaican holiday on Friday, January 27th having stayed at the Sandal Grande Riveira resort in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. This resort did not disappoint. We stayed on the Villa side, and despite what I see about other reviewers have said, the shuttle ride did not bother me AT ALL. In fact, it was great! I loved be driven around, meeting the resort staff and learning about them. Plus, it was not that long a ride. A few mins from my room to the Great House, and a few mins more to the Seaside resort.

My room was fabulous! My brother had a room on the Seaside half of the resort, so I was able to see both types of rooms. Yes, his had an oceanview and was closer to the beach and most of the action, but the Villa's were HUGE, and they each had a semi-private pool..... which is practically private because I saw nobody in mine (or anyone else's). It had a nice sized living area, sperate bar, huge bath room and huge bedroom. And best of all, it was so quiet and private! Nothing but the crickets to be heard at night! So romantic! A hop skip and jump on a the shuttle, and you're at the beach.

The food was fantastic. There are 15 different restaurants and if you're staying for only a week, it's impossible to eat at all of them! And the cool part is, all but two of them are walk-in (no reservations required)! The food was elegant and presented beautifully, and it tasted so good! I especially recommend the Bayside or Kelly's Dockside! Both international cuisine sure to please if you and your spouse have different tastes.

The entertainment was great too, but I am more of a "go back to my room after dinner" kind of girl, so I only saw a bit of that, I'm afraid.

The resort staff was great as well. Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. There was not one thing I asked for that they could not assist with.

Overall, this resort has been the best I have ever been too. It's a lush paradise that leaves you feeling that your money was spent well. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying themselves here.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet, private room, choose the Villa side. if you want to be close to the majority o...
1 Thank Th3Jennifer
Kingston, NY
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This was our second trip to Sandals, but first to this location. Everything was perfect. The service was impeccable. The staff was friendly and engaging. It never felt too crowded. You could find a secluded area or be right in the middle of the action. We stayed on the beach side of the resort which I would reccommend. It is where most of the restaurants are, and of course the beach. The one thing we didn't know that there was an hour and a half hour bus ride to and from the airport.

Room Tip: Choose the beach or riviera side rather than the villa side.
2 Thank PamandSam
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Sandals Grande was a very nice and clean property. I thought the food and entertainment were good, and the staff was very friendly. The rooms were spacious and the beds were nice, but my only complaint was waiting on the 'shuttle' to the beach. If you have a beach front room, you will probably love it. I just didn't like how this property was set up as much as ones where everything is right there next to the beach. A nice property, but if your going to Ocho Rios, I'd recommend the Couples resorts. I've been to Couples Tower Isle and liked it better than Sandals.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brad B
Victoria
Reviewed 29 January 2012

This is one of several Sandals resorts in Jamaica, and my impression is that it's one at the lower end of the Sandals/Beaches spectrum.

The resort is composed of what looks like several vacation properties that have been merged together. An upper Manor side which is actually 2 roads away from the beach and then a Grande Riviera side that's on the beach. Even the Grande Riviera side, though, appears to have been cobbled together from 2 or more resorts.

There's a lot of reviews of this Sandals already so I'll just mention the parts that I think are important.

We had a room in the Manor building. It was basically a standard hotel room. It was a bit small but very comfortable. The bed was fantastic (I've NEVER said that about a hotel before). The bedding was great too and there was a plasma display on the wall with lots of programming. The shower was great - lots of hot water and good pressure - and the room was very clean and well maintained. Turndown service came every night.

Our room was quite a ways down the hall and so it was quiet. Others who had rooms closer to the stairs to the lobby complained that their rooms were VERY noisy.

There is no elevator in the Manor house - if you're not mobile do not stay here - there are a lot of stairs to contend with.

The property is clean and well maintained - the buses that move you from beach side to manor side run continuously and I don't think we ever waited more than a minute or two for a bus. At first I was disappointed our room wasn't on the beach side but it soon became a non-issue for me and I was quite happy with our accomodation. It was definitely not very 'Caribbean' but I don't spend much time in the room so I don't really care. Some of the people we traveled with had villas with private pools which they never used.

THE RESTAURANTS
There are a lot of restaurants. So many it's hard to get through them all in a week. If you don't book at the two that require reservations within a day or two of arriving then you won't get in to them. Honestly that's not much of a loss. One of them is a Teppanyaki restaurant that's ho-hum and the other is 'fine dining' on the dock which is also quite ho-hum.

None of the restaurants are particularly good. The Bayside is very popular and has long waits because it serves Lobster tail. Noone seemed to much care for the Italian one - Valentinos. The sushi bar was quite good though the selection was limited. I quite enjoyed Neptunes on the beach. Both the pizza places made great little pizzas for lunch/snack.

All in all the food is fine. I don't expect much more than that when you're trying to feed that number of people so it was about as good as I could have expected.

THE BARS
There are bars everywhere. They all serve the same crappy slushy syrupy sweet drinks that tourists seem to slurp with wild abandon. But to their credit they'll also pour you a shot of something good if you ask for it. The bartenders were, without exception, very friendly and helpful.

THE BEACH
What beach? Well... there's a little bit of beach but don't be expecting to walk anywhere on it. There's maybe 60ft of beach on the west side, another 100ft in the middle closed in by dock/walkways so it doesn't open into the ocean, and another 50-75 feet to the East where you can take out Hobie cats, long boards, kayaks etc. You can't walk down the beach here at all. The beach is, in a word, disappointing.

THE EQUIPMENT
The sports guys are great. They'll take you out sailing if you ask, they'll help you with long boards or kayaking, you can take the sailboats out yourself if you're capable. All the equipment is very nice and in good condition.

THE ENTERTAINMENT
This is the same as any all-inclusive. Pretty dull but when there's nothing else to do then that's what you do. One night was the dating game - a bunch of suggestive questions designed to titillate the audience and embarass the contestants - another night was the gender game - men versus women - again with a suggestive component. There was a reggae night that was OK, a talent show that was meh. If you've been to one of these things you've been to all of them. We gave most of them a miss.

THE STAFF
We didn't find the staff to be instantly warm. They had a bit of a chill exterior. However the moment you engaged them they would come around and in fact were pretty nice and warm. We had some staff we really liked and some we liked but none that we didn't like.

THE GOLF COURSE
We golfed three times there. It's included with your stay as is the transport. You pay $17 for a caddy if you're walking plus you leave a tip anywhere from $10 to $30. We left $20 for each caddy each time. The caddies were great, the golf course was pretty nice. I've paid to play on courses worse than this one. We quite enjoyed the golf and the experience of playing with a caddy as we'd never done that before. It's no Torrey Pines but we had a good time on it and it was in decent shape. It's only a 10 minute drive from the resort. We were picked up at 7:20AM - played at 8am and were back in the resort by noon.

K - so there it is. Would we go again? Nah... not likely. Did we enjoy it? Yeah - quite a bit.

I gave it a four because it definitely isn't a five but it's better than a 3. If I could give it a 3.8 or something like that I would.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,780 reviews
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!