Transportation to and from the airport
Out arrival to Montego Bay was on time. Reception to Sandals Lounge was warm and Red Stripe helped pass the short time until our bus was readied. Once on the bus we waited for almost an hour for a few more passengers. The bus was about the worse 2 ½ hour ride ever. At one point I thought we’d have to get out and push the bus up the hills.
We had a suite on the 4th floor on the end of the building. Spectacular as it looked over the lagoon and just above the outdoor restaurant. As we are early risers to play golf, the noise setting up breakfast was not an issue. This must be one of the best suites on the property if you want ocean-front.
Had a sitting room and a bath room with a shower and Jacuzzi tub. Never did use the tub.
This is something that came with the suite we wanted. We did not use this service very much but was underwhelmed when we did use it. Our golf clubs were not always ready for us in the morning and had to store them ourselves when we returned.
The butlers did show us to a table for any meals we asked but we always got the next table available. I expected to have the best table reserved ahead of time. The bed was nicely decorated a few nights when we returned from dinner or the entertainment for the evening. When we drank a bottle of Champagne from the refrigerator it was replaced quickly. All other beverages were also replaced on a timely manner. There was a sparse plate of fruit and cheese in the fridge.
Food and Drink:
We ate in many of the restaurants and a couple of them twice.
The Bayside Grill was where we took all breakfasts and most lunches.
Kelly’s Grill on the pier that surrounded the cove is where we ate twice. They had Great fish and appetizers.
The sushi was quite nice and as expected not overly creative but adequate. We had to ask for wasabi and pickled ginger.
The Teppanyaki was terrible. It had the show you’d expect but the food was not very good and overly salted with regular soy sauce. Luckily we had visited the sushi bar before this meal.
The Italian restaurant was a nice change from the less formal restaurants. Typical Italian but with good creativity.
The golf course is in the worse shape I have ever seen it. We had played this course when staying at Couples and Grand Lido Braco. The teeing grounds are somewhat spotty, the fairways wet and soggy with over watering and no earification in recent times. Some of the greens were half covered with grass and very inconsistent. The greens with grass have two or three varietals of Bermuda and could not tell how the ball was going to break. This lead to higher scores with no idea how the break was going to affect the ball. We had Sophia and Michael for all of our 5 rounds. They were great.
On our way to and from the airport the other courses in the area appeared to be in much better shape.
My Bride of 30 years and I are into snorkeling. We went on an hour excursion to an off-shore reef that was quite nice. The rest of the time we stayed in the lagoon off the beach. A little bit of stale bread form the dining room thrown into the water would bring the fish up close and was a mini feeding frenzy.
The overall trip was quite enjoyable and well worth the money we spent. It could have been the best of 7 trips to Jamaica if it had a clothes-optional beach like the others we have visited; Breezes twice (before it became a family resort), 3 couples, and Grande Lido Braco.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Situated on over 100 acres of lush hillside gardens overlooking the Caribbean Sea•529 villas, luxury rooms and suites with fantastic mountain and ocean views•94 pools (7 large public pools), 22 whirlpools•16 dining options including room service for butler serviced suites•2 luxurious Red Lane Spas•Complimentary golf at Jamaica’s most elite and popular golf course, the Sandals Golf & Country Club (Transfers to the golf course are included)•Over 5,000 sq. feet of first class meeting and conference facilities•Recently completed US$60 million renovation/refurbishing exercise•Voted Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand”, 18 years in a row•Voted Sandals Grande Riviera ‘Jamaica’s Leading Resort’ ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Sandals Ochi Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Hotel Ocho Rios
- Sandals Grande Riviera Beach And Villa Golf Resort
- Sandals Ocho Rios
- Ciboney Ocho Rios
- Sandals Ochi Beach Resort Jamaica/Ocho Rios