“Woderful!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Lunenburg
“Woderful!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2008

We just arrived home from a wonderful 2 weeks at Sandals Grande Och Rios! We read alot of comments on this resort before we left. This being our second time at this resort, we decide to form our own opinions. So here it is....
We had perfect weather!!!! I do mean perfect. Sun for 14 days.
The food was wonderful. Mind you, there were things we didn't like but it was personal taste. The staff at this resort were as kind and accommadating as they were last time we were there. We stayed on the Riveria side, which is beach side. It is also the quieter side. We spent time on the Manor side as well. It was fun but it is much more lively. To much going on to sit & read.
The only negitive thing I could say is at times housekeeping was a little slow. 2 nights our room didn't get cleaned until turn down time. Both those were weekends, so I can assume that it was due to the large number of check outs & check-ins. We did live through it! I would recomend this resort to all. It is a wonderful, friendly, all adult resort. AND NO TIPPING!!!!!

• Liked — The Staff are always there to assist.
  • Disliked — Housekeeping was a little slow at times
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank hubertdianna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,441)
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2008

I was married at Sandals Grande Ocho Rios this summer. Prior to my visit I read every view on trip advisor so I feel I should post a review about what I would have liked to have known ahead of time.

I think it is helpful to know a little about the person writing the review. When I would read the reviews I would wonder about the people writing them. Had they ever been to a different resort before? Do they have really high expectations or no expectations?

I am 24 years old and a recent college graduate. I have stayed in hostels in Europe and in five star resorts all over. With most all-inclusive resorts you aren't going to get the same kind of luxury and service as you would if you were to stay at upscale resort where you pay for everything. So don't expect that.....if you have stayed at a Westin or Hilton then don't expect your room to look like that.

1.) My advice would be to book the lowest-grade room. My husband and I made a lot of friends and saw the different room grades and in my opinion it doesn't make a difference. Even if you are planning on being in your room a lot the lower grade rooms are just as nice.

2.) Stay on the Riveria side. I'm a very active person. I'm a dance teacher and I work out a lot. My husband and I spent our first night on the Manor side because from the reviews I read it was nicer. It does have a very nice pool, but that is it. Our room was out in the middle of no where and we had to walk forever on these trails to get to our room. Personally, I just want to relax on my honeymoon, not hike! Our room was a honeymoon sweet with semi-private pool. Our room kinda creeped me out. The windows don't have screens. They just have vents that don't shut all the way. Don't leave the light on when it's dark or you will have bugs everywhere! Also, the pool was really dirty. Too dirty for me to swim so I asked for it to be cleaned, but after we went to dinner and came back we found a huge cockroach in our room. I totally freaked out. I mean I know it's not going to hurt me and I realize we are in Jamaica, but I was on my honeymoon. I knew I couldn't sleep there so we switched over to the Riveria side. I was so much happier there. No bugs because it's not in the jungle like area that the manor rooms are in. It's by the beach and although we didn't have a private pool we were very close to a cute little pool. Our new room was fine, but our friends stayed in a much less expensive room in the Riveria building with a view of the beach. There room was SO much nicer!! If I were doing it again I would just book a inexpensive room in the Riveria building. There is just so much more on the Riveria side, the beach, pools, watersports and you can easily take a bus right over to the Manor pool and spend most of the day there if you like.

3.) Eat dinner early! Seriously! There is no wait when you get there early and such a long wait when you go to dinner late. Then you have to listen to people moan about how long they've been waiting and that's never fun.

4.) Don't feel nervous to do any of the watersports. They are very safe at Sandals.

5.) If you are getting married there. Relax! Don't stress, they do a great job with everything. I had my hair and makeup done there and it was fantastic. I loved it. The photography was fab and worth the price. While I am pretty I am not very photogenic and my photos are lovely. I was worried because it was so hot and my husband I were sweating, but they are just great. We ended up buying a lot more photos then we had plan so make sure you have some extra money for that.

6.) If you really like the nightlife you won't find it here. They have fun nightly acitivities and the bars are open late, but people crash ealry...about 11. Which was fine by me, but if that's not fine by you you can leave the resort. There is Margaritaville which looks like tons of fun.....we went during the day.

7.) The drive to the resort is crazy and long, but I had fun....others did not. It's a great chance to see the island or take a nap and you can see the island and your way back to the airport :) I would recommend getting to the resort as early as possible in the day. That way you can figure out how everything works. It can be a bit tricky at first. The two sides really are totally seperate. Don't try walking on your own between the two. My husband and I did and almost got ran over.

8.) Overall, amazing time! It will likely be more amazing if you take my advice :) or not..... the cockroach makes for a good story to tell friends rather than bragging about your week of pure fun and something to laugh about later. Would I go again? I have the rest of the world to explore, but maybe for a 5 or 10 year anniversary.

If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them: afarr2@hotmail.com

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
12 Thank sexybride2b
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2008

OK....before I get into how great our trip was..let me say this...before we went to Jamaica, i read ALMOST ALL the reviews on this site..and to be honest..i was really upset and put off by some of the negative reviews...having said that...IT WAS AMAZING...as with anything in life, it is what you make it. Sandals is mostly for couples, so if you are looking for some out of control frat party or spring break vacation, look elsewhere!! We went for our Honeymoon and were totally satisfied! we stayed in a honeymoon villa on the Manor side (the mountain side) of the resort. it was so so so fancy and we were so well taken care of! we did not have a butler or anything like that, and our experience with the staff was still so great. Shout out to Hume, our housekeeper and all the other staff we chatted with and had a blast! Keep one thing in mind here, these people are employees of the resort, NOT SLAVES and as long as you are polite and respectfull to them...they will bend over backwards to get you anything you ask for! I could go on and on..basically, the food is really good..not gormet..but remember this is not a 5 star resort, we did not order anything we didnt like..and we are picky...just go with an oopen mind and plan on enjoying yourself and relaxing..and guess what...YOU WILL. Hello to Jenn and Dana, our wonderfull Canadian neighbors...we loved getting to know you as well!!! SEE FOR YOURSELF THIS IS A WONDERFULL COUNTRY TO VISIT AND SANDALS OCHO RIOS IS AMAZING!!

• Liked — EVERYTHING
  • Disliked — OTHER GUESTS WHO WERE RUDE TO STAFF
8 Thank almostamrs
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2008

My wife and I were married on the 16th of February and took our honeymoon at the Sandals Grande Ocho Rios from February 19th - 26th, 2008. We has an fantastic time at this resort and would deinately go back

Airport/Bus to Hotel - Sandals seemed very organized and efficient at getting you and your bags on the bus. The bus ride was long but just enjoy the scenery. Ride took about 2 hours with a pitstop for red stripe.

Check in - We booked concierge so were taken into the concierge office where we signed in and then were put on a shuttle to the Rivera side where were were staying. Conciege was waiting for us on our floor with keys and our bags were not far behind

Room - We booked an Oceanview Rivera Conciege room and could not have been happier. Top floor overlooking the ocean with our own private balcony. Bar with Rum, Gin, Vodka, Scotch and redwine and a fridge stocked and reloaded DAILY with redstripe, pop, juice, water and white wine. King size bed with newly renovated bathroom. Rooms were cleaned everyday and turned down every evening. Latest we had service was around 430 but it was a big turnover day.

Food - Food was quite well and portions were perfect to allow multiple courses without being stuffed. We ate at Valentinos (x2), Bayside, Reef Terrace, Arizona's, Orchid's and ate the Jamica Buffet on friday night. Orchids, Valentinos and Arizonas were our favorite. We mostly did buffet breakfast and lunch and it was ok...typical buffet.

Service - Service for the most part was really good. We had a few servers who you could tell hated their jobs, but how is that different then home? Concierge was very helpful and answered all questions we had.

Beach/Pools - We mostly hung out at the beach club. Lots of chairs, not too crowded. Not the biggest beach, but fit the bill for us. Other pools were nice but too hot to lay on a chair over concrete when it is that temperature.

Tours - We did a mountain bike tour through Chukka tours. Got to see villages up close and even visited an all ages school in the village of Mt. Zion. Really neat experince for us. Guides were knowledgable, but equipment was a bit shaky....

Overall we had a great honeymoon and are already planning our next trip to a sandals property. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

6 Thank E-towntraveller
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2008

My husband and I stayed at this resort from 2/14/08 - 2/20/08. This was our 2nd stay at this resort. We paid for a Romeo and Juliet Suite on the manor side. When we arrived our butler, Bertram, said that none of those suites were available and they took us to a room one category below that. When we saw the room we were HUGELY disappointed because it did not have a private pool, whirlpool, or roman tub like the Romeo and Juliet Suite. Bertram said we would be moved the next day, which we were in the middle of the afternoon. The new room was MUCH, MUCH better; however we had to consistently follow up with our butlers and the concierge to receive a credit for the one night downgrade.

I would not pay for a butler level room again. We requested that they unpack for us, which is included in the service and they said they wouldn't be able to do that unil the 2nd night of our stay?!?! so we just did it ourselves. Then...on the morning our departure, our butlers did not even know we were leaving so there was not enough time for them to pack so we did it ourselves. Also, we didn't get turndown service unless we asked for it. It's included in all rooms so I was put off that we had to request it in a butler category room. I guess that makes me a room/service snob. :)

Besides the room snafu, everything else was great. The restaurants were good and the weather was beautiful. We did rent a cabana by the Manor Pool for 75$ for the day and that was an awesome experience. They left a cooler of water, Red Stripe and other assorted drinks in the cabana for us and also stopped by every 20-30 minutes to ask us if we wanted another drink, etc. They gave us a personalized menu for lunch, which was a nice touch. In addition to the padded lounge chairs in the cabana, they reserved 2 lounge chairs for us in the sun. There are ceiling fans in the cabana, which was nice after laying in the sun for awhile.

We did the Ocean Safari tour and took a snorkeling trip at the resort and we enjoyed both experiences.

While we like Sandals (this was our 4 trip), we may try some other all inclusive resorts to see how they compare. Feel free to email if you have any questions.

• Liked — weather, restaurants, excursions
  • Disliked — butler service
7 Thank holmes96
Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2008

We had a heck of a great time at this resort. The staff treated us so well, and we made some great friends when we were there. To be honest, the staff made our whole vacation way above par. It seemed like they really cared whether or not we had a good time, and really went out of their way to see that we did. A few other guests at the resort would do very well to remember some manners, a please and thank you would go a long way sometimes. This was select few though.

We had a villa up on the hill on the manor side, which was decorated quite nicely. We had been upgraded for free to the concierge service, to be honest, I didn't think that other than having a fully stocked bar in our room, the concierge service made any difference at all. I appreciated the upgrade, but wouldn't pay extra for concierge. I'd just get a bottle of my favorite for the room. Having the suite with small kitchen and living room was fantastic. (hint, if you have bar service, put a couple of bucks in the fridge to make sure it's super well-stocked daily). If you run out during an evening of drinks, call concierge, they'll bring you more.

We appreciated the privacy we had at the villa, and found no troubles at all getting the "Jitney's" (shuttle) to the main manor, or a bus to the beach side. They ran very regularly. (hint, call the front desk for a Jitney if you really need one fast, they'll be right there).

Beach was small, and enclosed by the dock, we kind of liked this, not sure why. Just did. Grounds were astounding. Kept very clean and lush.

Rooms were very clean on arrival, and kept clean throughout stay. I noticed that they washed the bedspreads between guests, that's appreciated, hotels in North America certainly don't all the time.

Food was good. Not "incredible", but good and plentiful, and served with a smile. Husband's fave was Arizona, where they turn the beach into the restaurant. Ambiance is very lovely there.

Was it ultra luxurious five star? No. But it was way above par, we did go to Dunn's river, and it was nicer for the building (not the grounds), but seemed more... stuffy somehow. We liked the ambiance, and the fun at our resort. There was always something wonderful to do. A great mix of people.

Thanks to Willie the bartender we'll never forget, Nicholas at the late night snacks, Mr. Mackenzie, the security guard with the amazing mind, and Charmaign at the swim up bar, manor side.

As a previous poster said, the secret handshake is a great thing when you feel it's warranted. At this resort, no one will ever ask you for a tip. That didn't stop us from showing appreciation for ultra extra effort.

One last thing. After looking at all the info on Trip Advisor, we elected to take a private ride (Clives Transport, $80 + tip each way) instead of the bus. We feel this was a great decision since we arrived at the resort alone, and didn't have to check in with a group. Highly recommend this route.

• Liked — Staff, and the grounds
  • Disliked — nothing
8 Thank Jamaica_Feb_08
iowa city,ia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2008

we recently spent a week at sgor, 2/2-2/9, this was our 4th week at this hotel, our 14th week at a sandals. we have always liked sandals and the upgrades we received as returning guests. we certainly hope sandals is not doing away with this, as that is a main reason we kept coming back. we were initially placed in a room above the manor house, overlooking the car park, but did not feel that was acceptable for this marking our 98th night at a sandals resort! the entire registration process seemed very disorganized this time, many people who had paid for room upgrades did not receive them, yet many first-time guests receiving room upgrades! we are booked for 4/26-5/3 at the whitehouse, and all i would like to request is a 2nd floor room, (i would also like to remind them that this will be our 15th week at a sandals, to see if that means anything?) and i have been unable to find out from sandals how to do this! does anyone know? a year ago, we stayed at a couples resort, and they had an easy access on their website to make requests.

also, we did not recognize a single employee from our stay at this hotel 2 yrs ago. why are sandals employees leaving? that is one thing we always enjoyed, is feeling like we were coming "home" to family.

2 Thank iowacityfriends
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,147 reviews

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!