“Great Vacation!”

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Resort in Ocho Rio Sept.7th-14th, 2012 for 7 nights in one of the Romeo & Juliet Honeymoon Sanctuary One Bedroom Butler Suite with Private Pool. We stayed in this Sandals Resort in May 2008 for our 20th Wedding Anniversary and decide to go back and check out the updates, etc. We stayed in the same accommodations again and our room was updated with a new bed, new flat screen TV's, new paint, etc. very nice. The entire property was updated in some way by either new paint, new furniture, etc. They also added a new beach area and some new restaurants that were very nice additions to this property. Its a very big property the mountain side and then there is the beach side both are very nice but we like the mountain side because it is more quite. All the restaurants we went to the food was very good the only one we did not like was the Bayside, well at least my husband did not like what he had but it could be because it was our first night at the resort and we had been traveling all day and just want to relax...we should have just order room service and stayed in that first evening! Our Butlers were Moria and Ray and they did a great job. I always go onto the Sandals website and fill in the butler information so they know what we expected; what we like to eat, drink, and do while on vacation and the butlers paid attention to detail. One day Moria arranged for us to have a lobster lunch in our room and she went way above and beyond we had a full meal (more like dinner) she also read my mind and even brought a plate with a bunch of different kinds of sweets for us to have afterward. My husband had pitches of bloody mary's mix made-up a head of time and in our refrigerate every day for him to drink while swimming in our private plunge pool. The butlers also had a plate of cut up fruit and cheese and crackers in refrigerator beside all the wine, champagne, etc. One evening Ray decorated our bed and setup a nice hot bubbly bath for us with all kinds of flowers and candles lite up. It was not a special occasion this time but they sure made it feel like it was...thanks again Moria and Ray. The Entire Staff at the resort did a great job, bartenders, waiter & waitress, maids, drivers, cooks, etc. As always the people of Jamaica are very friendly and helpful and I'm sure we will be back again this was our 3rd visit to Jamaica and it will not be our last! The weather was awesome the entire time we were at the resort.
Have been to other Sandals Resorts – Jamaica-Negril & St. Lucia, we have stayed at sandals resorts multiple times because we got great service all the way around even when it was not a special occasion.
Other resorts we have stayed at Dreams Resorts – Cancun Mexico, H10 Resort – Cancun Mexico, The Reserve Paradisus Palma Real – Punta Cana, and NCL Cruise's.

Room Tip: Rooms on the mountain side are quite and much more private! We also love the bulter service if you...
3 Thank Becky P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,479)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Sandals Grande Riviera was amazing , because of the top of the line staff recommending this resort to others would be no problem from the bar Derron was so friendly and remembered my name the first day that made me feel like my needs really mattered his level of work ethics is well commended very professional friendly he even made me a special drink that became my resort drink , Bishop and his mountain climber, Tavar Peter and Andrew were very friendly as well , the dive shop made me feel like family their hospitality made up for the lack of fish I didn't see Geno Aretha Kevin and Chad showed excellent costumer service , the play makers where my everyday friends because I wasn't there with a spouse I really would like to thank Kamarley Anton Julia Natalia and Joel for helping me to have fun , Debbie from front desk was what we needed after that long stressful drive from the airport she made checking in so easy and how can I forget her friendly personality Tanya the lady who cleaned the room did a fantastic job she cleaned the room better than everyone else I can't wait to Come back

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Corsan77
Camden, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

This was our first time to visit Sandals at Ocho Rios and must say it was delightful in every way.
The service was outstanding from the day we arrived until we left. Some of the ones who were outstanding were Nakita, Kenroz, Richard, Nemo, Michael and Ashley. Thank you so very much for all of your attention to our needs. The water, the flowers, tropical plants, and grounds made it just an unforgetable place to vacation. The Chocolate Buffet was unlike anything we had ever experienced! I would highly recommend Sandals Grande Riviera for your next vacation.
Emily and Clyde Jones, Camden, South Carolina, USA.

Room Tip: "Rooms on the beach side were our preference - we did tolerate late music at night from Bar bel...
2 Thank emilychambleejones
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012 via mobile

We have been traveling quite a bit over the years. First time to Jamaica and first time to Sandals. This resort has the best service I have ever experienced at an all inclusive. From the time we got to the airport to the day we left the service was perfect. The staff was the friendliness I have ever seen in the Caribbean.
For example: I was having a cogniac, Remy Martin VSOP, by the pool by the quiet beach. The pool bar supervisor chatted with me for a sec noticed what I was having and without me even asking said that they don't have that drink at the pool bar so he is going to send someone across the resort to get me one. Wow!! That's service! I love Sandals. This is just one example of many.
Sandals you have something really special here!

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Miguel_3675465453
Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

My husband and I are a young couple that really enjoys traveling the Caribbean/West Indies, we have been to several islands in the W.I. and chose Jamaica for our second anniversary because we were dead set on Sandals and had already been to Sandals in St. Lucia and Antigua, it was a toss up between Jamaica and the Bahamas, we decided Jamaica ultimately thinking we would have more exposure to different dive sites. We have been to one other all inclusive resort unaffiliated with Sandals, and having been to Sandals first, the other all inclusive did not compare on any level! I will break down some travel tips from what we learned while in Jamaica and at this particular resort, however there are 3 to choose from on Jamaica and I can only speak for this one.

PRIVATE AIRPORT TRANSFER: Since going to Sandals St. Lucia and staying at The Grande and enduring an included 2-3 hour transfer from the airport, we decided from then on that we were willing to pay extra for a private transfer and just chock it up as a travel expense rather than a luxury. This go round, our resort was about 90 minutes away, Sandals offers a private shuttle for nearly $400 round trip stocked with wine and beer, we thought that was outrageous and booked a private taxi through JUJU Tours (It's on tripadvisor for Jamaica) and we paid $100 each way with beer and rum punch. It was a taxi, not an impressive limousine, but it was comfortable and private and drinks were provided upon request. If you are looking at staying at Sandals Montego Bay, the complimentary shuttle is perfectly acceptable, the resort is less than 15 minutes from the airport.

BUTLER SUITE: When we were booking our accommodations, we compared many rooms, our goal was to get there and stay for as inexpensively as possible, we decided we wouldn't spend that much time in the room anyways, so let's just get there for the best price possible, after spending days doing different room combinations and dates we ultimately found a special on the honeymoon orchid poolside butler suite, after all of the discounts it was cheaper than a low or mid grade room. We got lucky, but I would encourage anyone on a budget to do the same. Once we arrived, the butler greeted us immediately, gave us a run down on what to expect and what they could do for us... it was a very nice touch, however, we weren't very comfortable making a ton of requests, if you will utilize your butler, its an amazing feature, but on this particular resort, which is divided by a highway in Ocho Rios, if you stay on the manor side (which we did) they are limited by not being able to cross the street often if you prefer to spend your time on the beach side, which we did. So if you want to spend the money just to be waited on, I'd say try another resort, as I said, for the price, we couldn't beat it, and we enjoyed getting to know the butler's personally and we did enjoy what we requested of them when we did.

RESORT: We enjoyed the seaside of the resort the most, you can take the bus, which is under 2 minutes away, (it's just a safety precaution to cross the street) and get off either at "Ochi beach club" or at the main lobby for the seaside of the resort. We mainly enjoyed club ochi, the western most beach was more private and secluded, there was a crowd that enjoyed more of the social scene and they hung out more around the main pools with swim up bars and DJ's or at Jamie's sports bar which was beach front and also hosted a DJ and games and competitions. It was entertaining at times, but we enjoyed the seclusion of the other beach. The amphitheatre is fun and has nightly entertainment... you should receive a schedule of events for every day.... one of the best things we did was a friday night chinese flying lantern release for the sandals foundation which benefits the less fortunate in the caribbean.

FOOD: All of the food was tasty and pretty much as described on the menus. The made to order omelets at breakfast every morning were an indulgence as well as all of the pastries! The breakfast buffet on the Seaside is better than the one at Market side, you will have access to both, since our room was located on the Manor/Market side, we would just catch the little bus over and grab breakfast on the seaside before spending the day either paddle boarding, diving, sailing, snorkeling or lounging on the beach which is nearby. We also loved the jerk chicken and rice and peas available at the "snack" spots.

BEVERAGES: The drinks are great, there will be a drink of the day, and we sampled it everyday! I loved the planters punch, it is really strong, 1-2 and you're good. The main reason I put this subject in here is because we saw someone who had a genius idea!! Bring your own "tervis" style insulated cup with a lid and straw for bar refills so you have to get up less often, the staff will be there to wait on you and refill your drink, but depending on when and where you are, you will likely just get up and get one yourself before they make it back around. If you forget to pack one, the resort gift shop even sells some, the bar tenders shouldn't have a problem filling it for you. This mainly came in handy when enjoying shows in the amphitheatre, the nearest bar is a small walk away, but you'll make multiple trips during the show if you don't bring your own large sippy cup!! Genius!!

SHOPPING: This is where we went wrong... we hired a cab driver and asked for shopping in the Ocho Rios area, we also used him for an airport transfer (details above) so we trusted he would hook us up.... however, I think he wanted to hook up his fellow locals.... which is understandable... we don't mind helping support those who rely on tourism, we really enjoyed their country, but we also don't like being made fools of. We were taking to a place called "Rainbow" market or store or something.... it is so outrageously priced!! We were shocked and felt pressured to buy things... we spent over $300 in this one "souvenir" store.... RIDICULOUS!! Now I know we could have said "no", but we didn't. We also went to a really run down looking outdoor market when we asked for a "craft" market.... we weren't given a name of this place, but it is just a block or so from the "rainbow" place... also a huge rip off... we later realized that everything we bought (most available was junk) was available in our Sandals gift shop for a fraction of the price, in my experience, I am used to resorts marking up their prices, however, this was not the case, even the alcohol for sale in the Sandals gift shop was $5-10 cheaper per bottle on the resort. LATER at the airport, the duty free was more than 50% less than what it was at the resort... we felt so ripped off!!!! And we are usually pretty savvy travelers, I think the poverty and pressure we felt in the markets really influenced us, so I'd say if you want that off resort shopping experience, unless you are willing to pay for it tenfold, skip it.... maybe just take a cab ride around rather than shop or speak to any of the locals. UTILIZE THE DUTY FREE!!

SIGHT SEEING: We went against the advice of only booking tours through the resort and took a local fishing boat out for some fishing and Dunn's River Falls. Probably one of our best decisions!! We have known from our first vacation together that we are not crowd or tour people, we usually will only book a tour if it is private rather than getting shuffled along with 30 other tourists, so we tend to find things to do off the beaten path, in this case, on vacation day 1, we were yelled at by some locals docked at the sandals boat dock, they will also be selling shells, etc. The resort will tell you to ignore them, we aren't very rude people so we chatted a bit and decided to try an early morning fishing trip on a small local boat followed by a boat ride to Dunn's River Falls. We spent a fraction with these 2 guys "Gary & Capt. Bob" we caught 2 black fin tuna and something else that was huge and ultimately got off our line. Later at the resort, our butler said we did good because people will go on fishing charters and not even get a nibble @ about $200p/p. The falls were amazing... I would recommend that everyone do them!! You can do the walking trail or you can get in the water and climb them, which is what we did!! Totally worth it and only $20 per person!! See the pics attached!! We also really enjoyed the Cayoba Gardens, it's only $10 p/p to get in, we took a cab and had the place to ourselves, a gentle very old man was our tour guide, he was knowledgeable and friendly. We garden and were fascinated by the flora and fauna, if that's not for you, might not be fun, but the views of Ocho Rios are stunning and there is access to a piece of the falls.

DIVING: VERY IMPORTANT!!! If you want to dive without any hassle, do NOT check any of the listed conditions on the waiver!! My husband and I were completely honest on the form and had to forego the first few days of diving due to trying to obtain a doctor's release via fax back from the states saying we were fit to dive. Simply just put "no" in all of the blanks and sign and move on. Once we were cleared to dive, it wasn't very impressive if you are an avid diver, if you only get to go occasionally, you will likely enjoy the clear water, pretty reef and good conditions. We were only slightly disappointed in the lack of wildlife that we saw.... there were several tiny reef fish, including the smallest lion fish I have ever seen, 1 flounder, 2 huge spiny lobster and about 1 dozen king crab in 1 location. Not a bad dive, just not the best if you have ever been to a premo diving spot.

MOBAY DEPARTURE LOUNGE: $30 per person, includes wifi, a full bar and some snacks, a speed pass through security and check in. Worth it? Eh... if you need the wifi and will indulge in the drinks... the snacks are ok, but not worth the price, the lounge could have been more comfortable than regular airport seating, but was so crowded that it wasn't any better than sitting at your gate. We were too exhausted to indulge in drinks, much less to make up for our $30 entry fee. The fast pass was a nice touch, especially if you're traveling on Saturday (busiest day for caribbean flights) and during peak hours, but still not sure if it was $30 worth. You decide.

Anyway, we had a dreamy vacation!! We were in love with the island and pleasantly surprised by how beautiful it was and how friendly the resort staff was. Sandals never disappoints!!

8 Thank Maria C
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Sandals Grande Riviera, and we had such an amazing time. It was as if we had never truly been on vacation until then. And that means a lot to us because I grew up in Hawaii.

It was the all-luxury-included aspect that made the whole thing come together. I thought I had previously been to "all-inclusive" resorts, but apparently not. Everyone we met in Jamaica was so friendly, happy, carefree, and that wonderful energy transferred to the tourists. Everywhere we went and to everyone we spoke, we got the same responses, "Why not?", "No problem," "Yeah, Mon." The staff at this place seemed to bend over backwards to make us happy and fulfill our every whim. It was almost embarrassing at times to receive such extraordinary service. Oh yeah, and they are not allowed to accept tips, which totally removed that "how much should I give?" anxiety.

The Grande Riviera was a particularly special Sandals resort, in itself. Special thanks go out to Jermain and Erron, the bartenders at Ethel's, who regaled us with great stories about their island home and about Sandals' founder, Gordon "Butch" Stewart, who we then enjoyed reading about. Ethel's piano bar overlooking the beach here was originally Mr. Stewart's grandmother's home, and where he grew up as a child. Aside from the sun and all the luxurious amenities, the history of this resort and the St. Ann's Parish area made our stay much more meaningful (Bob Marley, Christopher Columbus, Ian Fleming, etc).

We are totally sold on the Sandals experience, and would gladly give them our money again in exchange for the elusive and intangible gift of time and happiness.

Room Tip: For more peace and serenity, choose a villa nearer the top of the hillside up Hummingbird Lane.Or ch...
3 Thank Candabar
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

I was NOT at all looking forward to staying in a Sandals property, actually never have just always thought it would be filled with snot-nosed children running all over! I had been using Jamaica as a destination since 1997 and I have stayed at both the Ritz Carlton, Half Moon Bay and a number of times at a resort in Ocho Rios by the name of Cibboney(sp) Cibboney was a Randison managed property and though it was at best a 3.5 to 4 star resort, the villas, staff and food 24/7 were always great. Cibboney seemed to drop off the earth June 2001, why I don't know?

So here we go. Landed on time (thank you Delta) had no baggage to collect and went right through customs and out to the greetings hall. Found the Sandals check in area/room and poof was whisked to a van and off we went to the resort, took a good 1.5 hours first thing I noticed that since my last trip to Jamaica the roads have been GREATLY improved. So my rum punch didn't spill a drop. I always like the drive and turning right into Cibboney and up the hill to the Manor House, speedy check in and then get the Jitney up to my Villa, take a quick dip in my private pool unpack walk out on my balcony and took at the view of crystal blue waters. Paradise found. Not all villas have ocean views so be smart when booking and tell them exactly what you want.

So last week when I was on the van to a Sandals resort I was just going to make the best of it!!! You know what, the van turned right and my heart filled with joy. Sandals bought the Cibboney resort after they fall into Bankruptcy in 2001. I felt like I was going back to my class reunion, I was taken into the Concierge lounge, check in told ALL ABOUT the property! NO bracelet needed they take an imprint of a major CC incase you want to shop in the gift shops or use WiFi... A sweet lady check me in by the Name of Shanikwa(sp)

I am shocked beyond anything that I remember from Cibboney they upgraded beyond belief without taking the charm away. My Cibboney is now 5 STARS!!!!! Just under a different name.

This new Cibboney is super deluxe all the way, staff are ALL happy and excited to see you each and every second of the day or night. Sandals has added more restaurants and Im eating my way threw them ALL!! The only complaint is my rum punch seems to get emptied faster then they can get me another... In Jamaica having to wait 10 seconds to refill is crazy... JOKE. They have added new pools new swim up bars in the pools fire pizza oven and BBQ area at the main pool and their is wait servers everywhere looking for ways to assist you!

Guess what it get's better, my Cibboney had a very tiny old beach and pier, that's all gone and a new hotel has been built with I think 6 more restaurants, areas to lay around picture perfect water and yes more gracious staff falling all over you.

I was able to see a few rooms in the new property, the rooms are stylish, amanitas perfect and the views mind blowing!!! The difference between the beach side and the villa side is quite different. The villas are all perched on a hill side very jungle-esk you can stay in a private villa, two bedroom villa or a four bedroom villa, all have private pools, above a private villa you share the private pool (4 rooms max) chairs etc. two flat screen tv's fully stocked mini frig and FULL bottles of liquor. Glasses and wine glasses for the two bottles of wine all replaced when finished EVERYDAY. Now the bathrooms. Gorgeous amanitas, LOVE THE TUB, and full size product. No mini bottles. And for you ladies or gentlemen that want to see the pours on your face they have magnifying "make-up" mirrors.

The GM's name is Brian and his side kick Mark. Make sure to meet them, you will find brain in the fitness center 24/7 and mark will be at any of the buffet's 24/7. These two men are why the staff here is happy, gracious and hard working!!! I had the great pleasure to have dinner with Brian and learn how this property came to be. I won't tell you more here just meet him yourself he loves what he does and it shows.

Don't do what I have done for yours and think/thought Sandals was for families with children under 18. There is so much to do and see here, not to mention EAT here as well. The guests love it here and a swim up bar is the perfect place to meet new friends!!

You never need to leave thins property but if you do, there is 24/7 activity staff to help you find whatever activity you can dream up...

Ok must sign off, have a private scuba dive in an hour and need to get my suit. Oh yes Im still here sitting and writing this right now... Have to go home in 3 days, BUT will be BACK!!!!

Go online, book a room, suite or villa and relax in the comfort and style you expect!!!

Travel smart/safe and enjoy. B

P.s. I have ton's of photos to add later, I forgot to bring my cable to down load from my camera to MacBook...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,748 reviews
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!