“*****Awesome Place*****”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 13 March 2008

My wife and i love this place! we were married there 3 years ago and have returned there for last 2 years for our anniversary as well! We have made great friends there that look forward to our return. Garfield in the banquets department served us and sang to us at our wedding reception 3 years ago, took time out of his busy schedule this past year to serve us a candlelight dinner on the pier tower! He is amazing!!!! Mr. Patrick Drake one of the managers also super! I have a tendency to be a chatter box and he always took the time to speak with us for the last couple of years, he even sent us a anniversary cake and champagne on our anniversary to our room! The people are awesome! Go there relax don't be uptight, or sweat the small stuff they will look after you! Keep up the amazing work! We love ya! The Aldred's
everyting be irie mon!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank The_Pool_God

Reviewed 12 March 2008

Sandals was one of many locations we carefully researched for our destinaton wedding. And after many months and wedding expo's etc... we settled on Sandals Grande Ocho Rios.

It was exactly as the web site said it would be. We, in fact, we were upgraded upon arrival to the Romeo & Juliet Suite! We had our own pool and hot tub in our private suite! On top of that we booked a private butler which ended up making the entire stay perfect! We even visited Sandals at Dunn's River Falls one afternoon and it couldn't begin to compare to Sandals Grande Ocho Rios.

The resort is two seperate sections: the "Manor" up in the hills, and the Riviera which includes the Beach Club and Orchid Gardens ets... The property is huge and very nice. Drinks were awesome! Food was very nice. Beach and pools were all fantastic. Staff was incredible! Plenty to do and see. Our butler booked us a private shopping trip in town, where we enjoyed local shopping including Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville! What a blast!

We were there 10 nights and wanted 10 more. Returned rested and refreshed.

We are booking our next stay at Beaches and taking the kids, then it's back to Sandals Ocho Rios!

We're sold! :-)

6  Thank brandonpugh
Reviewed 12 March 2008

What a vacation! I know I haven't been there in more than a year, but felt it necessary to write a review after reading some that are less than positive.

More than 30 of us went for a wedding and what a week we had! The worst part of the entire trip was the drive to and from the airport. It was much longer than expected. In the future I would have stayed an extra day had I known we wouldn’t arrive until late-late afternoon. The service was outstanding - the resort was so clean and lush. The pools were fun, always a pool volleyball game to join. Yes, we are in our early 30's and like to... let's say... take advantage of the "all-inclusive" portion of the beverages, but we're certainly not loud drunks by any means.

The breakfast buffets were just fine. I typically had a cooked to order omelet every morning. (This was my choice as there were many other options) We ate at three other restaurants during our five night stay and each was really yummy! It's hard to comment on the wait as we had such a large group and tried to sit together in clusters. We usually just got a couple of bottles of wine and enjoyed meeting new people and the weather which was perfect. The grill by the beach that was open until 1or 2am was okay in the day, but PERFECT come Midnight when we needed a little nosh to soak up the days fun.

It only rained for about 30 mins the second day we were there. When that happened we were at one of the pool bars closest to the beach. The bar tenders had us all sit at the bar and proceeded to play a hilarious drinking game. So much fun. That's what I mean by great service. They could have easily sat there and enjoyed the rest and calm - but they turned a stinky situation into a great memory.

My best friend who was married there enjoyed her experience. The spa was great and my hair turned out just like I asked. We all loved the piano bar on the beach side. You would have thought we were superstars! We only spent one day/evening on the Manor side. The pool there is fun with the cabana's - but kind of a trek taking the shuttle back and forth.

All in all, we LOVED Sandals Grande Ocho Rios. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
7  Thank macgal2008
Reviewed 11 March 2008

Sandals Grande is an exceptional hotel, with the size you would think that the beach would be crowded although this was not an experience we had. There was always plenty of room on the beach as well as the swim up bars. We met some wonderful people, go and meet Joe at Beverlys Bar, he is a favorite of ours. Orlando at the Reef Terrace is a very knowledgable young man and will go far. Ariel one of our playmakers always seemed to be there and keep a person active he was another of our favorites. Food "Oh my god" it was wonderful. Valentinos had the best breakfast steak & eggs otherwise for a more conservative breaky you could visit the Bayside. San Generos and Valentinos had excellent Italian Food while you could also go to Arizonas on the beach & have chili and western style food which was great. The Reef Terrace as well had excellent food. Can't say I had anything that wasn't great food. The Marketplace was also another great food experience for lunch. Didn't get up to the Main Manor too often as we were in the Riviera and there was plenty to do and see without having to travel up the hill. The maintenance and clean up people were some of the freindliest people, they would explain what things were which was a great help as alot of the sites did not explain themselves. Our room was always clean, every once in a while they forgot to restock the fridge or coffee altough housekeeping was always more than willing to supply any missed items. I was a little disappointed in the laundry service as the stain on my shirt was still there after the wash although what the heck I can't even get the stain totally out now that I am home. Be prepared to get up early in the morning as there is nothing more beautiful than waking up to the sunrise which you could experience from the double swings on the warf. All in all it was a wonderful experience once again. Sandals Resorts are certainly bar none when it comes to friendly people, great service and exceptional food.

Lynn & Ted - Red Deer, AB Canada.

• Stayed: February 2008
6  Thank CanadaAlberta
Reviewed 9 March 2008

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Ocho Rios for a week while on our honeymoon. My first piece of advice based on our experience and talking to others is NOT to have high expectations. Sandals is a good place for people that are just looking for warm weather, a small beach (100 yards of beach) lots of drinking and average food.

Once we landed in Jamaica we were escorted to a 'Sandals" only room where there was free beer! (My husband liked that!) We waited for 30-45 minutes for others to arrive that were going to the same resort. We then loaded our stuff on to a bus where it took 2 hours to go 60 miles because of a flooded road. There was 1 gravel road and we made one 10 minute pit stop to get a snack, drink or go to the bathroom. Luckily for us it was a nice sunny day...had it rained (as it did 3 days later) it would have taken 6 hours to get to the resort from the airport.

Once we arrived at the resort we noticed that the resort was essentially split in 2. One half was across the busy road that you could only get to by shuttle and where the huge pool was and the other half was beach front (the side we were on.) Our room was an ocean front room and was nice. It had a large king size bed, fully stocked bar and a descent balcony. The bathroom was small with bad lighting.
***Extremely important to note is that in the room there is a safe - USE IT! I had a pair of small diamond earrings stolen as I had taken them off before I fell asleep and put them on the nightstand and forgot to put them away the next morning before heading out to the beach. We alerted the hotel mgmt and an "investigation" wad done. No surprise I never saw those earrings again...

The most disppointing thing for me was the food. I expected seafood on the menu since we were on the ocean - NOT the case and this is probably one of the ways Sandals keeps their cost down. The only seafood that was offered was Conch and shrimp (sometimes.) Every breakfast and lunch was food from the restaurants the night before and was the same every day. The restaurants for dinner were a little better, but nothing to write home about. All together the food is very very average, if not less than average. We did like the late night burgers and fries :)

We did like the "couples activities" and the water activities. We did not like how small the beach was. You can not walk on the beach for miles and miles, you maybe have 100 yards. It's roped off on one side and the other is a cliff.

We did the Dunn's Riverfalls excursion and that was fun. Do NOT do the shopping trip excursion. You are harassed like crazy and after they ask you for your name, wedding date, etc they have carved it into something and guilt you into buying it b/c "they can't sell it to others as it has your name on it!"

We would NOT go back and I don't see how any of the other Sandals would be much different. As I mentioned this a descent place if you don't have high expectations and if you have never been to a nice resort previously, you would probably think it is ok.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kwil1124
Reviewed 8 March 2008

Wow! 110 Acres of a beautiful location in Jamaica! We went for our Honeymoon to this resort, I'm a return Sandals guest! Our check in was horrendous... they dropped the ball completely and gave us wrong room and forgot it was our Honeymoon completely. However we chose a room on the Manor side of the Resort - the best and most comfortable side. Our Butlers were Denton and Marvin and THEY WERE THE TRIP! They absolutely catered to our EVERY need and we truly appreciated all their attention.... their patience and smiles made us feel so welcome! Denton moved us to a new room quickly and smiled the entire time... Marvin took us on a flower tour of the resort. They were there to pick us up anytime we called and did so with a smile and a story about something Jamaican! Food on resort was great... Manor Restaurant and our server Carrie-Anne and Arizona best to eat at! Room service was good, they did forget some little things we asked for but were overall well suited to our needs. The Cabanas to rent at the pool - $125! - what a joke! If they brought the price down more people would enjoy it!! Also the price for the "Snapshots" although #31 took great shots were outstandingly overpriced.... however #31 was awesome at his job! Our Spa experience was amazing.. I had the most amazing facial EVER! Our massages were acceptable, though not on the beach as requested. My mani/pedi were great and my husband agreed to a first time pedi that really helped his skin and feet too!
Our room was kept spotless by Lamar our attendant. Valentino's was good service but lacked in the "pomp" it claimed and they lost our reservation, frankly the girl at the front desk there was rather rude as well though at the urging of our Butler who personally came to check on us she seated us. Chukkah horse back riding at beach was FABULOUS!!! Do NOT forget to take cash for tipping because anyone, everyone, EVERYBODY expects a tip off the resort. It's kind of sad to be honest as we spent some wedding gift money on tips however I guess it's part of the experience. So bring 1's and 5's because you will be ignored for service if you don't! Dunn's Tour on the KATT was a great deal.... fun folks running the boat with great smiles! Do not blow off taking the KATT and climbing Dunns Falls... it was the most amazing experience though the cost of buying water shoes should have been in the KATT price, no need to gouge for another $10 to be honest with you! Lamar who was our room attendant was also our whitegloved server for our Beach candlelight dinner which was pathetically overpriced by all means however she was a great server.... in the end we felt we paid a bit more then necessary for the trip and Air Jamaica was a less then pleasant experience to fly - 4 hours late out of Baltimore to start our Honeymoon was not acceptable - and no upgrade to 1st class on our Honeymoon? Bah! Heck even US Air upgraded me on my last flight when it was my Birthday! I think that Sandals needs to step their game up and get guests checked in to their Airline before they depart.... that is a courtesy that US hotels like Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn give for free. Sandals should know better and handle this for their guests to avoid the 45 minute wait in line at Air Jamaica in Montego Bay! However as previously stated Denton and Marvin were worth our time.. they made our 8 day Honeymoon seem like 8 weeks and that was what relaxation was all about!! Many thanks to them!!! We would consider returning to this location with friends too, it would be fun as there are so many activities to do and so much to see... our private, Romeo/Juliet Honeymoon suite was well worth the upgrade Sandals stepped up to though not worth the $ they wanted to originally charge for it. Overall, it was a fun, intimate Honeymoon that we would do again! As long as Denton and Marvin were our Butlers though!!! Thanks again to them!

6  Thank MaggsnDrSteve
Reviewed 7 March 2008

After reading some of the submissions about Sandals Grande O.R. we were concerned...but our concerns soon evaporated on our arrival. We were greeted by warm and welcoming hosts, the grounds and buildings were very inviting, and our villa was clean and nice. Our stay couldn't have been better. Oh wait! It could have been...had we only been able to stay longer!!! I have to say the scuba diving crew are the best...please consider doing that during your stay. And go to Sandals Grande expecting the best...you will not be disappointed! And I am just a northern MN gal...no special interests here...so you can believe what I have to say! IRIE!!!!!

6  Thank MNNonni
#8 of 64 in Montego Bay
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!