“Great resort!”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We went in late September and the resort was fairly quiet which made it great for making dining and excursion reservations! Restaurants were very good, views from room were great and the fire pits by the lounge chairs made for a great setting after the sun went down. The beach and water were great (with the water up to your neck you could see your toes!).
We booked with Joanne at Beach Bum Vacations and she recommended the MOBAY VIP services package which allowed us to skip the long lines at customs when we arrived. It was definitely worth it!!! Sandals had a nice lounge at the airport where we could get some drinks before the ride to the resort. Everything was very smooth getting to and from the resort and we will definitely be back!

3  Thank Jeff L
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Ochi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thanks for your review, Jeff. We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Grande Riviera. We always strive to offer splendid vacation experiences to our guests and it looks like your stay was indicative of the norm.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We just returned from the Sandals Grande Riveria. We were there from Sept 22nd to the 27th for our honeymoon. It was remarkable, and the resort is beautiful. We stayed on the butler side. OShane and Damian were great the entire trip. They took care of all our dinner reservations, booked our excurions, and brought us snacks by the pool. We even got a courtesy call from OShane to make sure we arrived home safely. It was so nice to have them take care of everything. If I was booking again, I would for sure book with the butlers even though it took us awhile to get the hang of everything.

The entertainment was awesome at the resort. There was always something going on. One day, we played some games by the Great House pool and had a blast. Racquel was hilarioius and she kept us entertained. She was also at the shows every night at the ampithere, and she greeted us welcomingly everytime and made sure we had amazing seats. The one thing I have to say about Sandals is the service was remarkable. My husband became friends with Martin at the Polo Lounge, and Martin always remembered what drinks we liked and created some new ones for us. My husband was impressed, because no matter what we had another drink without having to ask for a refill. He would even make drinks to go for us to take to our room.

The food was amazing. Our favorite was Valentino's. On our first night, our butler had already taken care of our reservations, and he had us a wonderful table overlooking the pool at the Manor. You must order the crab cakes there. Just a note, they do make their drinks very strong, so you for sure get your money worth.

As for excursions, we did the catamaran dunn river's fall and the Blue mountain bike tour. The catamaran was a blast. It is a giant party boat on the way back. Blue montain bike tour was beautiful, but you might want to be prepared for a long bus ride. We got to see a lot of the small towns in the mountains.

Our room was always clean and our butlers would leave us special surprises. We had a room with a semi-private pool, but the pools were never that crowded at the great house, so didnt use our pool often. Our A/C unit was leaking when we first arrived, but we didn't even have to say anything to get it fixed. Our butler OShane had it fixed before we came back from dinner that first night. I was shocked at that amount of service.

We did the club Mobay on the way home, and I would highly recommend it. The shuttle has to leave so early to get you there so you have a lot of time to kill a the airport. It was nice to have some food and drinks. You dont really need it arriving. As soon as we got through customs, we were taken to a sandals room where they had refreshments while we waited for our shuttle. We only had to wait about 15 minutes.

We will for sure be returning in the near future to Sandals. It is true once you go Sandals you dont want anything else.

Room Tip: Get a room with the butler service. It is worth every penny.
4  Thank Amy M

It's wonderful to know that you had a remarkable honeymoon at Sandals Grande Riviera. We're so happy that Oshane and Damian took excellent care of you and Racquel made such a great impression during your stay. They really showcased the genuine hospitality for which we are known. Thank you so much for your review.

We look forward to your return in the near future!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We spent 8 days in Sandals Grande Riviera Ocho Rios. We were there for our wedding and honeymoon. It was an absolutely amazing and beautiful experience. I could go on and on but I am going to try keep it simple and to the point. We stayed in the Honeymoon One Bedroom Suite which was immaculate with the most beautiful views of the ocean and gardens. Our butler JAZELLE and FERNANDO were the BEST!!! Catered to our every request..which were minimal because we aren't picky...but they SPOILED US!! They escorted us to breakfast and dinner every day and night..Reserved our dinners every evening...and often contacted us to make sure we were ok and that we didn't need anything. They were the most friendly loveable guys. I cant wait to see them again when we return. Because we had a weddingmmon there I think we were extra spoiled..We were often surprised with our room being decorated and bubble baths and champagne..It was so exciting!! We always had a stocked bar and treats left for us. Our wedding planner was Kerry-Ann..who was also AMAZING!! She planned our day exactly as we wanted it and was there every step of the way. LOVED HER!! Our photographer from Snap shots was a gem and helped make our day special. Our favorite bartender on the grounds is Omar who we met at Jamie's bar which is the main beachfront bar..He is one of the friendliest guys we have ever met and fast became friends with him. So if you go to Sandals Ocho Rios..go see him and give him a hug from Rob and Angie from Vegas. There are so many memorable people..A-N-D-R-E..You will know him when you find him...and Bishop.."Why..Why..Why not!!!!" You will also know when you find him. Alex at the Club Ochi bar..Jaclyn from Jamie's...Everyone was friendly..Food was very good..Valentino's was our favorite and Soy was soooo good!! I can't wait to return and miss this place already!! MOre than happy with our experience..It was top notch!!!!!

3  Thank Angie F

We're so thrilled to hear of your outstanding stay at Sandals Grande Riviera. Our highly trained staff work hard to ensure that our guests enjoy every minute of their precious vacation time spent with us. So it's great to hear that your stay was such an incredible experience, especially your interactions with our staff members. Thank you for your review!

We can't wait for you to return for another amazing vacation!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We travelled from the UK to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday with our daughter and her boyfriend who are both in their 20's. We booked Honeymoon Estate Poolside Villa's with Butler service as there was a special deal going. We were extremely lucky as return guests to have been upgraded to a beautiful one bedroom suite with a wet bar, I do not know which room it was to be honest as they are all basically the same, I think its just the view that is different. This is our fourth visit to a Sandals resort, have been to Antigua, Grande St Lucia and the Whitehouse and if I am honest I would say this was our least favourite but only because we loved the others so much and in fairness, this Sandals was a lot cheaper from the UK.

Room

The room was fantastic, like I say we got upgraded which was lovely and it was so nice to have a separate bedroom and sitting area, we also like the wet bar area. We didn't really use the pool, if I am being honest I didn't find it very inviting. The bathroom was quite basic but very clean, the shower was in the bath and was powerful enough. Maid service was good and fresh towels etc were replaced.

Butler Service

We only had Butler service as it was such a good deal, I would not usually bother with a Butler as we are not the type of people that feel comfortable with people chasing around after us. We basically used our Butlers just to book restaurants and they used to take us to dinner. That said, they were very good and would have done anything we asked them to do...I'm afraid it's just not us. Our Butlers were Ray and Andrew and they were lovely, nothing was too much trouble..I think they probably classed us as very low maintenance guests!

Breakfast

We had breakfast mainly in the buffet at Sabrina's market place which is a buffet with a made to order omelet station, there was plenty of choice here and it was always quite peaceful which is nice first thing in the morning. We tried the Al a Carte breakfast at China Doll twice, again very nice but the service is very slow...to be honest, that doesn't bother us...whats the rush, your on holiday! We also tried the buffet breakfast once at Bayside and it is not a patch on Sabrina's, ok it has a better view but the food/omelet station was just not as nice and there was a lot of flies, for some reason we never had this at Sabrina's.

Lunch & Dinner

We alternated lunch at the great house Cafe, Dinos, Bella Napoli and Neptunes. Every lunch we had was lovely although it was at Bella Napoli we came across the only rude waitress for the whole holiday. We ordered the spicy steak chips instead of fries that we had previously had and when they arrived my husband just said in a joking way...what is the difference then, these look the same as fries (which they were) she gave him a look and told him she was just going to get the spices to put on them, she never came back and we saw her talking about us to other staff and blatantly refused to come back to us and sent another waiter. We are the most laid back people you could have on holiday and I am still quite amazed at how she behaved, maybe she just doesn't like brits, who knows! it turned out that the steak chips had run out, all she had to say was sorry about that, they have all gone. She made us feel very uncomfortable on the return visits, she wore a baseball cap with long hair....don't upset her if you eat here lol!!!! We loved Neptunes for lunch, what a fab view and having lunch with your feet in the sand, what more could you want. Our only gripe was the music, sometimes it was a bit much. I know they are trying to create a kind of beach club but Ibiza tunes pumping out doesn't really go with the setting, if we wanted that we would have gone to Ibiza! Shame cos it ruins it. Neptune's looks beautiful at night, sadly we do not eat Seafood so didn't go here at night. I was very disappointed with Valentino's, it is stifling hot in there, I don't think the aircon was working properly and it was just unbearable which spoiled the meal. I think maybe they should relax the dress code for men in those circumstances. The only other meal we were disappointed with was Kimonos, we asked our butlers if he could book us a table with Tex, sadly we didn't get him and the chef we had was awful, he just did not want to be there. Tex was on the next table and they were having so much fun, was a real shame but there you go, we were in and out in about 30 minutes!!!! We loved the Sundowner bar with the fire pits, so lovely but so quiet, a shame there was never anyone there really so the atmosphere was missing. The Polo lounge was too hot, no aircon so again empty! we spent nearly every evening in Ethel's Piano bar (only bar with aircon), the bar tenders there are the best! Martin and Tyrone...they are hilarious, they mix the best drinks and always find time to chat and do magic tricks...and they love to give you lots of shots!!!!! The piano player was fab, always a good singalong...try and get to see Big Bamboo being sang, cant remember which nights it is..I think it was Thurs and Sundays...hilarious!

Beach

We were slightly disappointed with the beach, I think it may be because last year we went to Antigua and that was just the best, the beach here is split into three parts. There are no palapa's or umbrellas although there is an area on the beach that is totally shaded...you either had to bake in the sun or sit in the shade, this is a bit awkward when you all like different things, I like the shade but my husband loves sitting in the sun so unless we want split up for the day one of us has to give..was usually me and I just kept going in the water, was soooo hot tho. The beach waiter service was superb and the sea in front of Jaimie's was gorgeous, nice and warm and clear.

Pools

We spent a lot of time around the Riviera pool, huge pool and the very comfortable sunbed's..plenty of floats altho you still get the hoggers who think they own them and put them by their sunbed's when not using them!! don't be ignorant and selfish, put them back in the pool for other people to use! The swimup bar was great, and the waitress service was also very good...never had to wait long for a drink and always with a smile. There was a lot of entertainment going on in this pool so it was quite noisy at times but there are lots of places to disappear too if it got too much. We are not ones for joining in with this type of things, the thought of running around the pool in my swimsuit makes me feel quite queasy lol...I did find them a bit pushy sometimes trying to make you join in, I think they need to remember that not everyone likes this and some people just like to watch.

All in all, we had a great holiday and all the points I made are minor and in no way would spoil a holiday. Our main gripe was literally there were not enough air con bars and in July it is just so hot and sticky that you really need it. The Polo lounge was so nice but you just melted in there. I don't think I would have liked to have stayed on the Beach side, the Riviera side was so nice and the shuttles and bus to take you to Beach side were constant. We never had to wait long except a couple of nights but we were going back late so you have to expect it.

We stayed for two weeks from the 10th July. Not sure I would go back to this particular Sandals resort, there was just something missing for us as apposed to the other properties we have been too.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me, there is loads more I could say but I think the review is long enough!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michelle W

We're so glad that you and your family had such a lovely vacation at Sandals Grande Riviera. You enjoyed your well-appointed room, the delicious dining and the superb hospitality of our staff. It was an honor to celebrate such a special occasion with you all. Thank you so much for your review!

We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

hi every one just back from sandals in ochos rios stayed for 10 days in butler suite.i will start with the good points villa suite very nice clean &tidy grounds are very clean & tidy denton our butler was fantastic staff are ver friendly and helpfull. (bad points) boil down to 2 things first of all was the food. the food was awfull not a great choice very poor qaulity apart from restaraunt under piano bar sorry cant remember what it was called was the best place we ate from the starter to the dessert so well done to the staff there.2nd bad point was the entertainment there was very little and what was on offer was very poor the thing that confused me most was with sandals being a couples only resort i could.nt understand why entertainment i.e beach party finished at 10pm every table was full everybody having fun and atmosphere was fantastic so party ended with no were to move onto except jamies bar which was empty this for me made my mind up for giving this place a 5 out of 10.this was me and my wifes first time away from the kids in 15 years and expected alot more. i would return to jamiaca no problem but i would.nt go back to sandals o,i just 1 more thing the tranfer to the hotel from airport was 1 of the most scariest things i have ever expierienced there seems to be no rules to driving any one just about to arrive in jamaica and has transfers i wish you luck' you.s will need it this was my honest opinion

4  Thank michael l

We regret to hear that we did not meet quite your expectations during your stay. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our delectable dining options and exciting entertainment. However, as hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

We are always looking for ways to improve our resort and we are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities, therefore, I will be sure to send your feedback to the General Manager and relevant departments.

We hope to welcome you back in the future for a stay that will surely exceed your expectations!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Honestly I am always one to read reviews but I have never written one before. My husband and I went for our honeymoon in May of this year, and it was the best time of our lives! Thank you to Sandals for upgrading us to Butler service, our butlers Dennis and Nadine made us feel so at home and made our honeymoon so enjoyable. THEY ARE THE BEST! I've never been anywhere that the staff were just so welcoming and always willing to help you in any way possible. The food there was great, yes they had some small portions but you were able to eat as much as you wanted. There were so many options to choose from when it came to food, and I'm happy the staff was so polite and nice that it made us more comfortable to trying new things. Always ask your waiter or waitress what the special drink is at each restaurant or what they suggest, trust me it always something really delicious. Make sure you make reservations to Kimonos if you want to eat there, they get booked fast. I was worried about the transportation between both sides or from our rooms to the main area, but they are very fast and efficient. Definitely go check out the Ampitheater for some really fun nights. Thank you to Racquel who made sure we always knew what was going on each night. The spa is also amazing! To wrap it up the rooms are always kept clean, food is great, staff is awesome, and it is so beautiful there. We can not wait to go back =) p.s. bring bug repellant, in the rooms it was no problem but if you were going for a walk or go on excursions you will be happy you brought it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

We're so happy that we were able to make your honeymoon such an enjoyable and romantic experience. We always strive to offer the best in service, dining and luxury accommodations. I'm so glad that you had an exceptional stay with us at Sandals Grande Riviera. Thank you so much for your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another great trip very soon!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed at this Sandals property on the Manor side in a villa room #7275 Sept. 12-19. Loved the deck area. Butlers Jermaine and Dwight were awesome! You exceeded our expectations! They were full of surprises and went the extra mile without asking. My husband and I were there for our anniversary and birthday. Special shout out to Sasha the Entertainment Manager, You Rock! Denise Patrick & Chakera Nesbit at the Soon Come Back, you are Diamonds !

We love the Sandals Resorts, this is our 6th visit to a Sandals Property. Different resorts offer different vibes. We were here at this property in 2008. We stayed on the beach side. The villa side became all Butler in Feb. 2013. However, we like smaller resorts. Between the golf carts and shuttle buses to and from the Manor to Beach sides, to us it made the resort too busy! It takes away some of the quiet and romantic atmosphere of the resort. There are a lot of steps on the Beach side and on the Manor side which is hilly. This is not a good fit for people who are limited with mobility issues. Remember if you use the Spa services, there are extra service charges! Bring insect repellent and anti-itch medication for "just in case." Remember if you need a butler team ask for Jermaine and Dwight. Talk to them when you arrive, so they will know your likes and dislikes. You will enjoy your stay with "no worries and no problems."

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your great review of Sandals Grande Riviera! Dwight and Jermaine are truly two of our best butlers and guests always boast about how they always go above and beyond to fulfill every need. We're glad you enjoyed your 6th amazing stay with us.

We can't wait to welcome you back again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
#8 of 64 in Montego Bay
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!