“Fantasy Island”

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Black Hawk, Colorado
“Fantasy Island”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Words cannot express how awesome this place is! It truely is Fantasy Island! The staff are terrific. They are the most friendly, happy people you will ever meet and work very hard to accomadate your every need. If you really want to spoil yourselves, book a butler villa. On top of the awesome staff, your personal butler is on hand to insure that there is nothing for you to do but to relax and enjoy! Everything, is taken care of! The other vistors to the resort help to make this a fun and enjoyable place, you will meet people from around the world who are also being pampered to the hearts content. The food is excellent, and the chefs create some of the most amazing dishes. The chefs truly want to please you in everyway, and will leave you with a satisfaction that is, well filling. We are travelers of the Carribean, and always have some kind of adventure to fill our vacation, but not this time. We did not leave the resort. The was no need. This is a first for us, no tours, no excursions, no wild adventures with the locals. Only rest and relaxation for 7 days. If you had to much of a good time the night before, and want to do nothing but order roomservice and swim in your private pool all day, no problem. If you want to entertain some new friends poolside at your villa, no problem. Call your butler and they will arrange it for you. If you want to have the time of your life, come to this place, and leave your worries behind!

Room Tip: Book the butler villa with the private or semi/private pool, the service is beyond expectation and t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christopher H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,508)
Lufkin, Texas
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We had a great time and loved the beach side of the resort. The resort is beautiful and relaxing.
We had the concierge service and loved it. Lydia booked our massage, snorkeling and excursions. We just told her when we wanted to go. Kerian was really sweet too.
Best bartender at the swimming pool by Bella Napoli. Andre! The Andre and superman drink were the best.
Best photographer was Ricardo. We wanted to do some fun pics and he was more than happy to suggest some. And he just kept taking pics so made it hard to decide on which ones to get.
Best Soon Come back representative was Kareema. She helped us book our next trip to SGR.
Best waiter at Kelly's was Spicer. Such a sweet guy and he remembered me the next day when he was working at Mariners.
Can't forget Natalie the gift shop manager. She sat with us at the returning guest dinner and did not forget who we were after seeing her the next few days.
Rhonda our made. She made towel animals for us everyday.
Favorite food was the breakfast at Kellys and coconut shrimp at Mariners.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Relaxing, beautiful, so much fun. We never left the resort, we wanted an all inclusive that was entertaining in itself. From the beach to the pools, to the restaurants, to the evening entertainment we felt like we couldn't make a wrong choice. Food was fantastic, be adventurous and try the goat. We didn't have a butler, not our thing. Everyone at the resort is so accommodating and kind. The only down side was the drive from the airport. But worth the drive for the views from the restaurants, to the beach and the service you get at Sandals. I'm dreaming of my chance to return. Its that good.

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are awesome! Quiet secluded, not in the main hotel, and worth the walk.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AprilF
Sacramento CA
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This was a great trip. The price was right and the hotel and staff were outstanding from start to finish. From the time we arrive the great service started. The nightly shows were outstanding. The front desk was great with any questions or concerns. Our in room frig stop working. And it was replace before we arrive back in our room from an outing. The food at the restaurants was outstanding. I know it seems that this is not possible to have such a perfect spot. But for me and my wife this was outstanding. We went Zip lining over the jungle. Fun Fun Fun. Very safe and enjoyable. They also have a bobsled ride through the jungle that was a blast. Go you want regret it......

Room Tip: Take the rooms facing the beach.
1 Thank Josepf W
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 6 October 2013

After countless hours of research and Sandals Stalking (SS) we decided to get married at this resort.
We are so glad that we picked SGR!You really do get more bang for your buck here, but I can see how some people write bad reviews because of not choosing the correct side of the resort to stay on and being without a Butler and maybe not ordering/eating at some of the more popular places (more on that later). You REALLY do need to do your research on the forums here and read the reviews before you go to ensure that you have an AMAZING time and realize that the beach here is not some huge stretch of white endless sand, so know before you leave what you are getting into. Some may say that you should'nt have to do all that research, but the reality is, is that you do. TIP: Go check out Fans of Sandals Grande Riviera on Facebook too!

Airport:
We are so glad that we didn't pay for Club Mobay ( we were on the fence) because as soon as we landed there were no lines! Now, maybe at a different time of year it would have helped, but in Sept. it was not worth it. We were quickly greeted with a Sandals rep as soon as we turned the corner with champagne, sandwiches and a clean restroom. We had a server and I wasn't sure if to tip him or not so I have him 2$ and he gave us to go cups. We were only there for 15 min max. and we were ushered out to the van with a luggage guy that we tipped but the other couple didn't. Make sure you bring lots of small bills with you for tipping. We brought $100 in 1/5/10's. The van was so HOTT & really run down. I was disappointed because I think that it just depends on who drives as to what kind of shuttle you get. This guy was nice, but not talkative nor did he stop or offer to stop for us to use the bathroom. We were mentally prepared for the 2hr ride, but damn it was hot. I hope next time we get a better van and personable driver.

Arrival:
We were quickly taken to the Butler lounge and met with cold towels, offered drinks in cool A/C. I saw at night a group of travelers come in and they were not offered any cold towels and they're arrival looked unorganized, so I took a mental note to always arrive early =)

Rooms: (I posted lots of pics on both the fans of SGR site and here to compare the rooms).
We stayed on the Manor side (mountain side ALL Butler Villas) in the Honeymoon suite. Originally I was hoping for an upgrade, but we were not offered one. I'm So glad that we stayed at the bottom of the hill in Villa 26 room 7301 which was one of the few double occupancies villas at the bottom of the hill. All the other villas were 4 couples to a villa which meant at one time you could possibly have 8 people in the private pool. We really lucked out! The room was nice and modern with entrance into a bar/sink and full length mirror, 1 bed room and large bathroom with double sinks. Super modern looking! I took pictures and posted them on here. The pool was really nice with awesome outdoor chairs and cool pool light at night. They did have a couple of cats that were out a few times and nats at night.
We were upgraded to the other room, 7302 a few days into our trip which was much bigger 7302 that had a separate living area and bedroom with an additional flat screen TV and large bathroom. I liked the separate living area it seemed a but nicer that we could eat in the room. Otherwise we had to eat on the patio because the other room didn't have an area to eat at. We were so lucky to have THE WHOLE Villa to ourself! At night we could be a loud at the pool and play music since we were not sharing the space anymore! Thats why I think next time I'm going to request a double occupancy nextime to ensure we arent with 3 other couples. I liked being a short walking distance from the Manors resturants and main pool. We rarely used the Jitneys.

Restaurants:
You must eat at Kimonos with TEX! He makes the restaurant! You can requests this on your Butler request form as well as at check-in
We had lobster every night, all you had to do was order off the menu and they got whatever you wanted to eat. No problem mon!
Sabrina's was good I had the lamb chops and lobster. Couldn't decide what to order so they gave me both, this happened every time we ate dinner. It was so nice to try a bit of everything.
Valentino's was AWESOME! Best at the resort! Glenroy was our server, you must ask for him he was so nice and knowledgeable about everything. The Italian Kiss drink was our favorite.
Reef Terrace was romantic, but hot outside, great seafood!
Kelly's Dockside, was our least favorite. It was so hot outside and service super slow.
Ate at Neptune's daily, the coconut shrimp and jerk chicken was great!

Bella Napoli (pizza) was delish too! Real woodoven pizza-no frozen pizzas!

I've read other reviews that the food was cold, but thats not true at all, sometimes I had to wait for it to cool off!

We ordered alot off of the room service menu which was super fast and the breakfast the best!

I need to mention this particular persons name because he is a real gem at the resort, he's only a food delivery person, but he would not let me lift a finger when he setup our breakfast-ODAVE is a real star and I can honestly see him making Butler oneday!

I'm so glad that did the Candlelight dinner on the beach, it was a perfect ending to our wedding day! It was setup so beautifully and our server Pansy was sweet and kind. It was worth the extra money-the food was great too, I was skeptic at first reading the reviews but I'm glad we did it. I even requested to be seated under the tree and I wanted pink sheers and it was all granted.

Butler:
Ok, after reading reviews and asking about who to pick as our Butlers we selected a few people as were given Burtram and O'neil as the number 1 butlers over and over again. I was happy that our request was granted. Let me say this, they were both very lovely people and sweet, but I think that having Burtram at our age (mid 30's) was like having your dad as our Butler. Bertram is VERY well respected all over the resort people know him or of him. He has been a Sandals employee since the day it opened in the early 80's. All of our requests were granted I believe because of him. He is getting older and with that forgetful. When we checked in for example he went over everything with detail but forgot to give us room keys as well as a few other times was in general forgetful. I could see that he was sweating profusely and felt bad for asking him to do anything extra for us because I could see he wasn't feeling well as he stated he went to go see the nurse on the property. Don't get me wrong, we got all the towel art and drawn baths like evryone else but I could see that he wasn't in the greatest condition to do alot of extra stuff.
O'neil was great! Super funny and I kind of liked it better when we were with him, and he did a few extra surprises for us. The day we were married we didn't hear from Bertram at all nor did he congratulate us, weird. I think he honestly forgot we were getting married. lol

Wedding:
The wedding was great and the planner Sanchia was super sweet and made us feel comfortable. I LOVED my hair! Melisa at the Red Lane Spa did it and it was fantasic! I didn't know who to request so I was scared, but she was honesly the best! Ask for her! I also had a bridal attendant named Toyphia who was so great and I'm glad that I had her! I really lucked out because another lady who was getting married was there as well and her attendant didn't offer her lunch or anything to drink. Toyphia insisted that I eat and calmed my nerves. When we got back to the room she even got on her knees and put lotion on my feet! lol
I'll always remenber her.

Photos:
Micha was our photographer, he took over 200+ pictures of us! The VERY next day they were ready to look at! we spent over 2 hrs. picking and choosing pictures. TIP: Buy the pictures on DVD so that you can do what you want with them when you get home. We bought 18 for $355 then additional $130 for 24 total when we couldn't decide on just 18.

Ochi beach club was our favorite spot because of the lay down beds and bigger beach area as well as the servers, Anna-Janelle and Andre!!! They have the best spot to lookout at all the way up top on the bluff above the Sandals sign, its so beautiful up there and I don't think alot of people go up there at all bc its empty all the time.

Room Tip: Get a double occupancy villa on the Manor side instead of a 4 Villa
9 Thank Maria504P
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Sandals does it right again from arrival at Kingston International to arrival at Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Golf Resort was excellent although the trip through the mountains to Ocho Rios was interesting. Having been introduced to O'Neil our butler who said 'if your tea cup is too heavy he would lift it for you' true he would have. Loads of restaurants to choice from super service an enjoyable time was had by both of us. The weather was even sunny whilst the pools were cool. Customer services in resort could not have been more helpful as they immediately sorted a minor issue with a personal visit to our accommodation. Thanks for an excellent holiday

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Orangesub5
Lindon, UT
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My husband and I spent 4 glorious days at the Sandals Grande Riviera. The staff was fantastic, the room was gorgeous, the food was good (China Bay was exceptional), the beach beautiful and the whole experience memorable. Our favorite part were the water sports. The snorkeling reef is in great shape. We've snorkeled all over the world (Fiji, Cancun, Aruba, Belize, etc) and this was as good as anywhere we've been. The reef was generally very healthy with bright corals and sponges as well as a great variety of colorful fish--really fantastic and included in the amenities. Kudos to the Glass Bottom Boat Captain who was very helpful and went out even if we were the only ones signed up. He was very accommodating and service oriented.

The best thing we did was to try Scuba diving for the first time. All I can say is "WOW!" Wish we'd started years ago. However, then we would have missed out of having Richie as our dive instructor. He was fantastic: Fun, energetic, easy to understand, patient, really a wonderful teacher. Can't say enough good things about him! If you decide to take a class, ask for Richie and you'll have a great outcome. One of the other couples taking the certification was having trouble getting through the course because the husband kept trying to breath through his nose. Richie was so patient and helped them along so kindly and encouragingly. I was impressed by his instruction. We caught on super quickly with his help and always felt safe and looked after. It was fun to dive every day and found it out of this world.

Evening entertainment was very good. Chocolate Bar was disappointing. Generally, I felt like the desserts were the resorts weakest points. However, the breakfast croissants made up for it. Most of the people at the resort were couples honeymooning or celebrating an anniversary. We were the only couple we talked to who were just there on vacation. Fun to meet couples from all over the world. Highly recommend this resort.

2 Thank PTAMommy
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,788 reviews
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!