“Horrible service & a great place to lose some weight!!”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
London, United Kingdom
“Horrible service & a great place to lose some weight!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Because we are flying out from Kingston, we decided to try SGR after a great experience at SMB, Ocho Rios is a logical stopping point for us. We were surprised to find stay 3 and get 1 night free last minute deal at SGR, so we booked a Club level Rivera room, however the service and quality of food really reflects in the price of the resort as compare to SMB.

Staff are not very professional for a "5-star" resort, the following were the service issues we experienced.
1. when we check-in, they transferred us to 3 different places, asked for our name 3 times, and finally i have to logged on to internet and retrieve the internet confirmation so she actually understands what room we have booked.
2. Our luggage didn't arrive in our room after spending an hour for lunch at Kelly's dockside, we had to call them to locate our luggage.
3. Our villa room door never lock itself even when you slam the door. My husband have to hold it for 3 seconds by brute force, which means i can never be last to leave the room, i'm just not strong enough.
4. We asked for room service menu which never arrives, and we have to collect it at concierge lounge finally. We also specifically asked for breakfast to deliver at 8 so we can go diving at 9, roomservice arrives at 8 30 with a totally wrong order.
5. Unlike SMB, there are no event host to get people to do stuff, even there were beach volley ball listed on the activities board, no one was there to get people to play. SMB was a lot more fun.

Food is our worse nightmare at SGR:
1. Kelly dockside for dinner - this supposed to be butler or club level exclusive restaurant at night, the standard starters were like leftover wraps or buffet food from lunch, we ordered pepper and whitewine sauce to go with our grill meat, they both taste worse than the stock cube. They should just stop trying and offer jerk sauce only.

2. Bayside grill - my husband ordered Surf & Turf and i went with Beef Filet only. My filet was good and i have no complain. The lobster tail that my husband ordered has a texture of a cod, which means either the lobster has been frozen, defrost and frozen again, or it is actually cod, in either case, we didnt eat it.

3. Kimono - was the only okay dinner we had, it has about the same quality of a doggy chinese takeout in London, with undercooked deep fried wonton which they shamefully called it beef gyoza?! And chewy beef in the mixed of fried rice.

I understand this is all inclusive and we can't expect too much on food, but overall, the food is worse than plane food and compare to SMB, it is noticeably worse.

Finally, diving is not as professional as SMB, our dive instructor is very good, but in all of our dives, he is the only one leading 10-12 divers, it was lucky that most people in our dives are very good, in our opinion, it is just not very safe, should limit to 5.

The only positive thing was the room is nice, bed was comfe and they transport us from SMB and to Kingston safely.

We thought we had a bargain at SGR, but it isnt really . Sandals should clearly state this is a different category resort. Or we could be just really unlucky, but we will never return!

Please also note that some guests staying in this resort behaves like springbreak college kids, they tend to invade the pool bar after lunch time.

Room Tip: If you like watersport, stay in the beachfront Bamboo building, even rivera room on the beachside is...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank penpen
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Ochi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
We're so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard and we would like to correct the situation and make things right. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and offer the luxurious experience for which we are known.

Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,478)
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

The wife and I just returned from our honeymoon of 6 nights in the Butler Villas. We had an awesome time! The Hotel Manager, Vishal Vaswani, is a class act and is a big part of the reason our stay was so nice because he is ultimately responsible for employee performance and attitude. Our butlers, Simone and Nadine, were sweethearts and very helpful setting up our dinner reservations. This place is huge and you could just wander around and get lost on the compound! I couldn't even tell you how many pools this place has because every time I took a new path I would stumble across one. The beach is beautiful, water pretty, and activities abound. We never had a bad meal. In fact, being from New Orleans, we were pleasantly surprised that we enjoyed every meal. Everyone was so friendly but I feel the need to single a few people out for going above and beyond. Jason at Jamie's Bar on the beach kept the Crown Royal flowing, never made us wait, and put on an entertaining show. Ruered (I'm sure I'm butchering the spelling but it's close to this and he pronounces it like Rohan) is a phenomenal waiter at Kelly's Dockside and is also in Butler training. Marlon (who must be cross training because he was a Playmaker organizing games in the pool one day, working the Talent Show at night, and was decorating the Christmas tree in the gift shop) was phenomenal at putting a smile on our faces whenever we ran into him. I would like to finish my team member review by saying that I saved the best for last. The majority of our time was spent at the Ochi Club Swim-Up Pool Bar on the beach. Alex and Tyronne have the best personality of anyone at the resort and were the single biggest reason for me writing this review. These two would remember your name, remember your drink preference, would refill you when you weren't even looking, and organize fun bar/pool games. If you happen to come across them during your stay, please tell them BLAZE FIYA says hello...(don't ask). Anyway, do yourself a favor and book your trip to Sandals Grande Riviera. The Jamaican people have amazing personalities and will make sure you return...I know we will.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Grande Riviera. We're delighted to read that you had such an amazing stay with us. We're happy you enjoyed our beautiful resort, the exquisite dining and the genuine hospitality of our staff. They all will be thrilled to hear of your kind mention.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay!

Happy Travels!
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We were in SGR from the 17 till the 24 of November 2013.This was our second visit to Sandals Grand Riviera. The last was 2 years go when my wife and I had a great time. This occasion was equally as enjoyable.
To those who have not been there, the resort is huge .....so much so that it comprises of the Riviera (beach) side and the Manor House (hill) side.
We had a Butler Room on the Manor House side , which was lovely. Our Butlers were Nicola and Kemeshia. They were wonderful. We were given a mobile phone and were in contact with our Butlers constantly satisfy our whims and fancies. They were very very helpful in arranging our dinner bookings, arranging our pickups ( sometimes driving the buggies themselves to pick us up), bring our breakfast in our villa etc.
The Staff at SGR are very , very friendly. They are always helpful and engaging. I have a small story to tell which shows the efforts taken for customer care. We vacated our villa on our last day at 11am. As our flight was at 830pm, we requested and were kindly assigned a different villa to change and freshen up before leaving for the airport. After getting back to The UK and unpacking, my wife noticed that a ring given to her by my parents on our wedding day (of great sentimental value) was not on her finger. All hell broke loose as we looked everywhere to try find the said ring, but to no avail. I then phoned SGR and spoke directly to Vishal, who is the Manager of The Manor House , explaining the situation. By this stage, if I am being truthful , my wife and I were resigned to the fact that we would not see the ring ever again. Vishal set into action by speaking to the staff who were in the villa after we left but no one came across a ring. Vishal even went to the villa himself to make sure that nothing was missed. He phoned us back later saying that nothing was found and for us, we just accepted that that was it. We thanked Vishal for his endeavours and efforts and were just thankful that he tried. A day later, my wife was just putting away the jewellery pouch ( which she checked when she was frantically trying to find the said ring) and there it was, in the pouch. We were overjoyed in finding it .......it was unbelievable . We then emailed Vishal to tell him the good news and he phoned us back immediately to say hat he was very glad that the ring was recovered.
We are returning again in February 2014.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
We're so thrilled to read of your incredible stay at Sandals Grande Riviera. We're even more excited to hear that you were so impressed with our level of service. We always strive to uphold the highest levels of service and quality and we appreciate you taking notice. Thank you for your review.

We look forward to seeing you back in 2014!
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

My husband and I visited for our 5th anniversary and from we got checked in at club sandal it has been great, the concierge team was superb they made our stay grand and even beyond our expectations. You have Kerian, Horatio (the kool male of the pack), Shadine, Lydia, and Verona , they took care of our needs and was very prompt. Especially Verona, girl you made us felt like we were on top of the world, thank you for your professionalism and always being on the ball keep it up it will get you places.We felt extra special when they all remembered our anniversary date and each time we visited the lounge we were greeted and our names were remembered. The restaurant staff was amazing at kelly's Davion and Kevin with their recommendations for my husband to enjoy red wine and coffe that was AWESOME! At Soy we erre served by Tameka who was very pleasant and she recommended choices for us since it was my husband's 1st time trying sushi and my 2nd but it was just delightful that she gave such excelkent suggestions. I had the higway roll and my husband got the dragon roll ohh and their signature cocktail 'a shot', the saki cruise, fantabulous. Then we went to Kimonos can I say AAAAMAZING! Romaine was the chef and Hank our server and I tell you the pair was very entertaining and the food was just to die for, thumbs up guys. Then the Mariners Grill was just lovely, coming from the pool to lunch with beachy ambience wonderful. Demar was very friendly and made us feel good. You also had Carlando a kool brother on the beach he showed us a real Jamaican welcome, good going guy keep it up! We are jamaicans and we assumed that we would have been treated differently but I tell you everyone was so on point even the other hotel staff were friendly that is great and I will recommend everyone I know to visit your location. Ohh my how could I forget the fabulous bar staff, Dwayne at the pool bar by Mariner's , Rush at the pool bar by the amphitheatre and Okema by Sundowners and Jaimie's. Guys keep on doing that tremendous job good going it was great meeting you guys, drinks up....lol... Even your housekeeping staff was wonderful, Chantelle especially, she was so patient and kind. I will be back!! We stayed in the penthouse from 11/28/13-12/1/13 next time we will be there for a week. Thank you all you guys were perfect!!!! From the Fyffe's room 4521, you guys rock!!!! Loads of hugs and kisses!!!!

Room Tip: Choose the penthouse suites, very relaxing, free wifi, free room service and a great concierge team...
1 Thank Tahlia H
Thank you so much for your great review! We're so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Grande Riviera. Your anniversary trip seemed to be an amazing one and it's truly an honor that we were able to be a part of your experience.

We look forward to your return for another wonderful vacation with us!
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Didn't realize there were two areas to this resort which was okay because you could pretty much get a shuttle every 10 minutes or so to go back and forth. I myself was glad I was on the oceanside instead of the hillside. Most things were on the oceanside but there were 4 restaurants, a grill & pizzeria and a huge pool on the hillside and all the rest of the restaurants were on the oceanside. I like the beach that's why I preferred that side. Although the beach was not that big but there was excellent waitress service on the beach side. We rarely had to go to the sports bar for a drink because our favorite waitress Annalee was always there when we needed a drink. There were a lot of stair walking down to the beach and then up to the restaurants and back down again for people who may not be able to handle going up and down stairs all the time. It was good exercise to work off all that food and drink. Overall I had a great time and really had nothing to complain about. The food at all 3 of the grills was fantastic for daytime eating. We never did make it to any of the buffets for lunch. Great burgers, jerk chicken, coconut shrimp...lots to choose from for lunch.

Room Tip: We had an oceanview room but I know it is always nice to have concierge service which means there is...
1 Thank Waligirl
Thank you for your review of Sandals Grande Riviera. We always strive to create amazing vacations for our guests and we're thrilled to read we were able to do that during your stay. Our team will be so happy to hear of your kind words.

We all hope to welcome you back very soon!
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We have checked into Sandals Grande Riviera for Thanksgiving week 2013, in a one bedroom suite villa, through the timeshare section of the property. The one bedroom suite has a king size bed, one bath, small living room, and small adjacent kitchenette space with a bar size fridge and coffee maker (no microwave). The fridge was stocked with water and juices, no alcohol.

Once we cleared customs, we turned left and the Sandals office is right there, they will take and tag your luggage, and you can get a beer or cold water drink while you wait for your bus driver to call you. Ride from the airport was about two hours, included in the cost of the accommodations, but it is customary to tip the driver, as well as the luggage boys from the airport (they will be very explicit about that). Driver usually makes a stop where you can buy a beer and eat some local jerk chicken, which we did, but it was a bit pricey, if not to hungry, wait until you get to the resort (we paid $20 with tip for two beers and small portions of jerk chicken).

Once at the resort, we were checked in pretty fast. When using the timeshare, there are no butler services included, we could have added that for $1,000 more per week but decided not to, which turned out fine. Butlers are very nice and they make reservations for dinner (although only one restaurant, Kymono's, requires one), they could surprise you with breakfast on your patio or arrange flower petals on your beach chairs and dinner tables, they give you rides in their golf carts when you need it or they call you a jitney, etc. However we did not feel like we lacked on anything by not having one, and in fact we met a few folks who were running away from their butlers, who kept harassing them with phone calls and looking for them diligently at the beach, it was actually pretty funny.

The timeshare villas are all located up the hill in "butler village". The entire resort is very vertically set up, so it may be difficult for those with mobility issues. There are two sections - a beach section (Riviera Seaside and Ochi Beach Club) and the hill section where we were (Great House and butler village). The one bedroom villas in the timeshare sections are four villas in a building, two downstairs and two upstairs, and they share a private pool each. We never used it, we took off and spent the day at the beach or main pool.

Jitneys can be called by calling the front desk or dialing the phone from the jitney section, and they will come get you and take you to Great House, where the lobby, restaurants, and main pool are. Some butler village villas are within walking distance down the hill to the Great House, others are further away. Going down the hill is easy, coming up is a bit of a problem especially after dinner and drinks, but you can get a jitney from in front of the Great House, or call your butler to take you, if you have one. Shuttles come every few minutes and connect Great House and the beach section, with two stops at the beach section - Ochi Beach Club and Riviera Seaside.

The resort is very spread out, and vertically set up, and there are many stairs everywhere - but with the jitneys and buses and without special mobility issues, we did fine.

Tipping is not allowed at the resort, we have tipped our maid - you must leave tip next to her card for her to take it. Maid service was excellent and every day she made another towel figure for us. We have also seen people slipping away tips for excellent service, but I hear it can threaten an employee's job if they are caught. The staff here is amazing, best I have ever seen, they remember our names what we eat, everything we talked with them about.

Foodwise: best breakfast is Valentino's a la carte. Breakfast and lunch buffets suffered from cold food, flies, and bees. Avoid the buffets at all cost. Best lunch for us was ordering fresh made food at Mariner's Grill (during the day you can sit at the wood tables on the beach which at night become Neptune's restaurant). Dinners are very good, the best were Kymono's, Manor House and China Doll. I found Valentino's to be subpar and couldn't really call that authentic Italian food. Others have spoken highly of it. Portions are very small which is great, because you can always ask for more, and you are not wasting any. Try jerk chicken at the Mariner grill, sirloin steak and curried goat at Manor House, and anything at China Doll. Also Bella Napoli pizza next to the Riviera pool is very good, and the guys there are great. I was disappointed with food and service at Dino's pizzeria by the Great House.

China Doll was my far our favorite. The team there - Ramona, Gellian, Kerry-Ana, Jeffrey, Varnal, Jamie, Durrant, Carleen at the bar - we got to know all of them and it was like family going back every time. Also the playmakers - Taneisha and Joseph - went out of their way with energy and service. Kirk at the Bella Napoli pizzeria, Milton at Manor House, Andre at Jaime's bar, Julia at the front desk - it's like the Oscars, you want to mention everyone's names but still forget some, you can't thank them enough.

The vegetation is luxuriant and so beautiful, like living in a botanical garden. The noise of the forest at night in insane - crickets, critters, tree frogs, very loud like in the amazon, we enjoyed it, it was relaxing to hear. There are bugs, plenty of them, and mosquitos, bring your repellant and use it, I have had over 20 bites and they are itching like crazy.

Chocolate night on Wednesday is lots of fun. The atmosphere at Great House pool is nice and overall more upscale than the beach area. The beach are has two-three different areas, the one in the middle by Riviera hotel suites is guarded by a dig/dock, so water is clear and calm for swimming, and snorkeling is great, you can feed bread to the fish and they will all gather around you. The other side Ochi Beach Club has nicer padded chairs but there is not much of a breeze and the beach is not as nice. Overall the beach is narrow and short, no place to walk on the beach for leisure walks.

Would we return? Absolutely, with lots of repellant for bugs, and outside the rainy season (we did get a bit of rainy days).

4 Thank aprata
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Grande Riviera. We're so happy to read that you were pleased with our gorgeous property, delicious food and friendly staff. We strive to create amazing experiences for our guests. Therefore, your comments make us proud and confirm that we are on the right track!

We look forward to welcoming you back for another fantastic vacation in the near future!
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at SGR from Nov 13-22, 2013. Although we enjoy new travel experiences, this is the first time we have ever returned to the same resort. With so many wonderful places to see around the world, it certainly says something about this property and MOST importantly, the staff and service.

We booked on the Manor side in a Butler Village Honeymoon Poolside villa room and requested our butlers upon booking, but unfortunately one had moved on to Sandals Turks & Caicos. Our disappointment was short lived when we met Shawn and Scott. Since this was not our first Sandals butler experience, it was difficult not to make comparisons, but suffice it to say, these two gentlemen exceeded our expectations in every way and have become our favourite butlers. I would not hesitate to recommend Shawn and Scott for your stay.

We quickly settled into a comfortable rhythm, rising early to enjoy coffee on the patio, then off to either breakfast at China Doll (a butler service perk) or room service served by Shawn or Scott, followed by settling in to loungers by the Manor pool. After lunch at either Sabrina's, Dino's pizzeria or something served poolside by our butlers, we usually ended up back in our room to enjoy the shared pool. We basically had the Villa's semi-private pool to ourselves during our entire stay.

Our last visit was a year-and-a-half ago and there have been some subtle changes. Poolside loungers and Cabanas are not longer reserved by your butler, but we had no difficulty finding spots on our own. If the towel station was empty, we simply asked the nearby attendant and he quickly brought some more.

We also noticed the distinct absence of Management at various events (Manager's cocktail party, Sandals Select cocktail party, etc.). In the past we have enjoyed the opportunity to speak with managers about their resort and staff. One notable exception was a gentleman we saw constantly throughout the Manor side, interacting with all levels of staff. We now know it was Vishal, the property manager and our only regret was not introducing ourselves to commend him on the operation.

As for the resort highlights, there is little I can add to what previous posters have mentioned. Yes, there are two distinct sections to the resort, but jitneys, butler golf carts and shuttle buses ferry guests around quite efficiently.

Dining: We like to dine out and I must stay, there wasn’t a bad meal the entire trip. Our favourite restaurants are Valentino’s (prepare to enjoy the experience at a relaxed pace), China Doll, The Reef Terrace and Kelly's. I also enjoyed the sushi at Soy.

Entertainment: We enjoyed the nightly entertainment, especially the Silver Birds steel drum band and musical performer Peter Lloyd, a very talented gentleman!

Staff: I would be remiss not to mention the incredible staff we met - Davion at Kelly's, Brendan at The Reef, Renick and Alex at the Riviera poolside bar, Anthaniel at Miss Ethel's, hostess Marvelene at The Reef and Valentinos's, Darren and Basil at the Manor swim-up bar, Jennifer and Donette at the spa and Topal at the Soon Come Back Desk.

We enjoyed our time at SGR so much that we’ve planned to return the same time next year!

Room Tip: Manor side is quiet, but the Riviera side is closer to the beach.
3 Thank K-Mark
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Ochi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Grande Riviera. We're so happy that you had another great stay with us. It was a pleasure hosting you and we truly appreciate your comments and observations. We can't wait to welcome you back next year for yet another amazing experience!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,749 reviews
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!