Because we are flying out from Kingston, we decided to try SGR after a great experience at SMB, Ocho Rios is a logical stopping point for us. We were surprised to find stay 3 and get 1 night free last minute deal at SGR, so we booked a Club level Rivera room, however the service and quality of food really reflects in the price of the resort as compare to SMB.
Staff are not very professional for a "5-star" resort, the following were the service issues we experienced.
1. when we check-in, they transferred us to 3 different places, asked for our name 3 times, and finally i have to logged on to internet and retrieve the internet confirmation so she actually understands what room we have booked.
2. Our luggage didn't arrive in our room after spending an hour for lunch at Kelly's dockside, we had to call them to locate our luggage.
3. Our villa room door never lock itself even when you slam the door. My husband have to hold it for 3 seconds by brute force, which means i can never be last to leave the room, i'm just not strong enough.
4. We asked for room service menu which never arrives, and we have to collect it at concierge lounge finally. We also specifically asked for breakfast to deliver at 8 so we can go diving at 9, roomservice arrives at 8 30 with a totally wrong order.
5. Unlike SMB, there are no event host to get people to do stuff, even there were beach volley ball listed on the activities board, no one was there to get people to play. SMB was a lot more fun.
Food is our worse nightmare at SGR:
1. Kelly dockside for dinner - this supposed to be butler or club level exclusive restaurant at night, the standard starters were like leftover wraps or buffet food from lunch, we ordered pepper and whitewine sauce to go with our grill meat, they both taste worse than the stock cube. They should just stop trying and offer jerk sauce only.
2. Bayside grill - my husband ordered Surf & Turf and i went with Beef Filet only. My filet was good and i have no complain. The lobster tail that my husband ordered has a texture of a cod, which means either the lobster has been frozen, defrost and frozen again, or it is actually cod, in either case, we didnt eat it.
3. Kimono - was the only okay dinner we had, it has about the same quality of a doggy chinese takeout in London, with undercooked deep fried wonton which they shamefully called it beef gyoza?! And chewy beef in the mixed of fried rice.
I understand this is all inclusive and we can't expect too much on food, but overall, the food is worse than plane food and compare to SMB, it is noticeably worse.
Finally, diving is not as professional as SMB, our dive instructor is very good, but in all of our dives, he is the only one leading 10-12 divers, it was lucky that most people in our dives are very good, in our opinion, it is just not very safe, should limit to 5.
The only positive thing was the room is nice, bed was comfe and they transport us from SMB and to Kingston safely.
We thought we had a bargain at SGR, but it isnt really . Sandals should clearly state this is a different category resort. Or we could be just really unlucky, but we will never return!
Please also note that some guests staying in this resort behaves like springbreak college kids, they tend to invade the pool bar after lunch time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Situated on over 100 acres of lush hillside gardens overlooking the Caribbean Sea•529 villas, luxury rooms and suites with fantastic mountain and ocean views•94 pools (7 large public pools), 22 whirlpools•16 dining options including room service for butler serviced suites•2 luxurious Red Lane Spas•Complimentary golf at Jamaica’s most elite and popular golf course, the Sandals Golf & Country Club (Transfers to the golf course are included)•Over 5,000 sq. feet of first class meeting and conference facilities•Recently completed US$60 million renovation/refurbishing exercise•Voted Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand”, 18 years in a row•Voted Sandals Grande Riviera ‘Jamaica’s Leading Resort’ ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Destinology, Travelbag, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandals Ochi Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Riviera Beach And Villa Golf Resort
- Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Hotel Ocho Rios
- Sandals Ocho Rios
- Ciboney Ocho Rios
- Sandals Ochi Beach Resort Jamaica/Ocho Rios