“Fabulous, fun, and romantic week with Renewal of Vows at Sandal's Grande Riviera” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Hoquiam, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

My husband and I treated our 4 adult children to a week of fun and sun in Ocho Rios, Jamaica over Thanksgiving break. We celebrated our 32 years of marriage with a renewal of vows ceremony. It was one of the most amazing romantic experiences that I've ever had. We were treated like kings and queens. Everything was so organized, the wedding Coordinator was experienced and friendly and made our day so very special. We got to choose the site for our exchange of vows, and the restaurant for our reception and the other amenities that made our day special.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Ochi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Grande Riviera. We're so thrilled to hear you had a wonderful stay and vow renewal with us. We can't wait to welcome you all back for another incredible visit in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,451)
Hoquiam, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

We had a GREAT time at Sandals in Ocho Rios. The staff was exceptional, and was very accommodating. A shout out goes to the entertainment staff, Shauna in particular for putting in extra time to send me a playlist of all the songs that played at the pool even after our departure. She also took the time to wish us a Merry Christmas even a month after we departed Jamaica. Also,Sanj Carnegie, the cook at the grill was very friendly and was a great addition to our trip. Great experience!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kari, thank you for your review of Sandals Grande Riviera. We're so glad that you had a great stay at our resort. Our staff works very hard to offer an amazing stay to our guests and I'm more than happy to know that you enjoyed the superb hospitality. We look forward to your return in the near future!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Just got back from a fab time the resort was really lovey the room was great and our two butlers jeromy and richard made our holiday they really did look after us getting us everything we needed they book the best tables in the resturants, and truley looked after us. they arranged our golf tennis and excursions, also our aiport transfers and vip lounge at the airport. the food was so good at the resort from the on site bakery which supplies the resort with amazing breads and cakes to fine dinning and sushi. staff friendly and helpfull we had an amazing time and will definatley return to Jamicia in the future, we are book at sandals grenda next december cant wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of Sandals Grande Riviera. We're so glad to hear of your stellar stay at our resort. We can't wait to welcome you to Sandals Grenada in December for another great vacation.
Loganville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Sandals Grande Riviera

My husband Jim and I have been vacationing at Sandals resorts since 1999. The resorts we have visited include Dunns River (twice), White House, Royal Bahamian, Emerald Bay, Grande Antigua, Grande St. Lucia and Beaches Turks & Caicos. For our 2013 vacation we decided to visit Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, West Indies.

We are frequently asked if we had a favorite Sandals resort. It’s hard to say because each one is the best at what it offers and each resort offers something uniquely different. I guess that means they are all our favorites.

But this article is about Sandals Grade Riviera. I’m not sure why we chose this resort except we absolutely love Jamaica and the Jamaican people and the value couldn’t be beat.

We chose to have butler service for our vacation. We enjoyed butler service at Emerald Bay and were excited to experience it again. We wanted to get the maximum relaxation and pampering from our vacation. I read everything I could about the resort and its offerings; I was able to give our butlers a heads-up on our preferences.

Our tickets arrived right to our door and were encased in a chic and useful portfolio and included our itinerary, transfers, tickets, trip insurance (a must-have) and two beautiful Sandals ”sandals” luggage tags. You can keep all your important papers in one place and throw it, your wallet and passports in your room safe when you arrive and forget it until you leave. Remember to lock your safe!

The bus trip from Montego Bay to the resort was about 90 minutes with a refreshment stop somewhere in the middle. The time went by very fast as we used this opportunity to meet other guests. The roads had improved greatly from our first visit in 1999. The bus was modern and the driver informative along the way.

We were met at the resort by beautiful young men and women who offered us a refreshing, scented towel and our drink of choice. Very soon one of our butlers (Robert Poyser) came to escort us to our villa and suite. You are transported from your villa to the Great House (and back) by jitney and from seaside to villa side by shuttle.

A word about jitneys and shuttles: It may sound cumbersome but it definitely is not. You just call your butler for a pickup as you leave your room or walk to a nearby "bus stop". The shuttles leave every 5 minutes or so, so there is virtually no waiting!

Right away we made friends on the resort; not with other guests first, but rather with the staff. There are so many people just waiting to serve you. We made friends with other guests as well and hope to keep in contact with them now that we are all back to reality.

First and foremost we must thank our butlers, Robert Poyser and Akeem Fongkin. I cannot say enough good things about our butlers. Robert and Akeem were always there when we needed something and even anticipated things we didn’t even know we wanted yet; they remembered our preferences without having to be reminded. We were surprised with a poolside fried lobster luncheon which was the envy of other guests. Two days later Robert surprised us by planning a romantic afternoon starting with a patio luncheon of grilled lobster prepared especially for us, staging a beautifully decorated bed completed with “towel art” and flowers and drawing us a fresh bath, all accompanied with tasty Mimosas. We have booked again for next year and have already requested this dynamic duo.

Our favorite jitney drivers, Nicco and Fabian, drove us from the manor to our villa. They always met us with smiles and good humor. All of the jitney drivers were plentiful and eager to drive you to your villa.

There were plenty of places to eat, plus 24-hour room service. The food was absolutely awesome. Kelly’s Dockside was one of our favorites with their great steaks and jerk chicken wings. Neptune’s during the day had awesome gazpacho soup. Valentino’s prepared Italian food with white glove service. There was sushi, burgers and fries, pizza and much, much more. Sabrina’s was where we started our day with eggs prepared by the Omelet King, Dwayne. Some of our favorite servers included Hank, Carlangelo, Jermaine, Tyrone, Thosae, and many, many others. Romaine delighted us with his handling of the grill at Kimono’s.

We discovered these mouth-pleasing Jamaican beef patties for the first time. I had never tried them before. My bad, ‘cause they are to die for! We looked forward to Robert bringing us a plate by the pool along with fresh drinks. Boy do I miss those pies!

There was nightly entertainment, including a piano bar, several bars, a cultural celebration, talent show, steel drums, and my favorite, Peter Lawrey, who’s Reggae delighted our ears and his history lesson tickled our brains.

We attended the Returning Guests Dinner scheduled for the middle of the week which coincided with white night and this wonderfully decadent chocolate buffet. We were recognized for our 58 nights and awarded with a pair of gold “sandals” charms. Following the dinner, we put on our suits and hit the hot tub. It was a beautiful night and someone must have ordered falling stars because we had a short but exciting light show.

The Red Lane Spa is so peaceful. We enjoyed our couples’ massage which was included in our package. I also had a second massage. Jennifer and Nicca are wonderful at their jobs. There’s also a sauna included.

There are water sports included in the package; they looked to be lots of fun but too much work for these two older folks so we watched from the beach. There is a group of beautiful young people, Playmakers, whose sole purpose is to make your stay fun. There is also snorkeling, scuba diving (2 dives a day included), and golf and deep sea fishing (both extra). You can go on tours and excursions (for additional pricing) and the trip to Dunns River Falls is a must.

There are pools with swim-up bars and hot tubs. There are private spots with comfy lounge chairs. There are hidden hammocks. The beach is pristine and beautiful. There were at least 2-3 weddings every day.

The resort also offers SnapShots which features photos taken by resort photographs all over the resort. You can also book private photograph sessions to memorialize your vacation. There is a fee to purchase the photos, but no fee to have your picture taken.

Before closing, we also want to thank the hundreds of staff that made our staff perfect but that we never saw. Housekeeping always seemed to know when we were out of our room (probably thanks to our butlers) and we always came back to a fresh and well-stocked room. The grounds were beautiful and well-maintained. The common area bathrooms were always clean and smelled really fresh.

I am sure I have forgotten something. Oh, yes. I have to find something that was not just perfect. I tried hard and can only say that the WiFi reception is only passable. But that’s okay, ‘cause there’s too much to do to be surfing the net anyway!

Before leaving, we stopped by the Soon Come Back desk and Chakera helped us book our vacation for 2014. We decided we wanted to bring friends with us next year and we booked again for the Grande Riviera.

Checkout went smoothly and the bus trip back to the airport was filled with nostalgic tales from those of us sadly returning home.

We are already counting the days …

8 Thank VirginiaHappy_Face
We're thrilled to hear of your wonderful stay at Sandals Grande Riviera. We strive to offer amazing and relaxing experiences to our guests and I'm glad you had a wonderful stay filled with pampering and fun. Thank you so much for your review. We can't wait to welcome you back again next year!
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Finally getting around to doing this, as we visited this resort October 3rd-8th of this year. Overall we really loved the resort, this was our second time visiting a Sandals Resort. The first was Sandals Montego Bay where we spent our honeymoon, this resort also put our expectations very high. As far as grounds/resort compared to Montego Bay, Grande Riviera blows it out of the water, as they just had many renovations.

We are a very laid back couple so overall we did really enjoy our stay, there were a few minor hiccups along the way. Mainly with the first day, as everyone should be aware that it is a 90 minute drive from the airport to this resort, which isn't terrible, because you get to see the beautiful countryside. But after traveling since 5am we didn't get a speedy check-in that would of really been appreciated. We got there, and got upgraded-which we were beyond surprised and appreciated dearly, the room we got upgraded to got us closer to the action and the beach. But with that said, our room wasn't ready when we got there, waited about 30 minutes until it was, which again, isn't terrible, we were just so exhausted and ready to change and put on our swimsuits and relax. When our room was finally ready, we were told we needed to have someone change the code on our safe before we go anywhere, well this took another 30 minutes for someone to show up, then it wouldn't work, so at this point it was 4pm, we had been traveling all day, and just really wanted to get our vacation started. The woman in charge of re-setting the safes seemed very irritated that we wanted to leave her there while we went to the pool, but we were so irritated, hungry, and tired that we just wanted to get going. Upon checking in also, I wrote down that we were celebrating our anniversary, but it was never acknowledged. These were truly our only complaints about this resort.

The hotel is beautiful and massive, friendly staff for the most part. Although, I did feel like we got more attentive service at Montego Bay, everyone was still nice and helpful. We stayed 5 nights and didn't have nearly enough time to eat at every restaurant. We did many excursions, so my only tip is to not do too many excursions, as we wished we would of stayed and enjoyed the resort a little more. The Dunn River Falls/booze cruise is a must though!

Food was good, nothing spectacular, the best restaurant in my opinion was Kelly's Dockside, and we were allowed to enjoy this restaurant even though we didn't have a Butler, which was really nice. Soy Sushi bar was great also.

Definitely a very relaxing resort, not as lively as Montego Bay, but I loved not being able to hear the airplanes taking off every 30 minutes. Ocho Rios is beautiful, loved seeing this side of the island. Lots of stairs, so be prepared to get a workout.

Room Tip: Enjoy what the resort has to offer, you don't have to spend the big bucks to do excursions, plen...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Catherine R
Graham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

This is my second post, had to add this one to add some other wonderful people to my previous list of great staff. Now I need to add playmaker Natalia aka Boom Boom, who made the trip fun and engaging; Tyrone and Missian at Sabrina's because every time we ate there they made us feel like such VIP's; to Shirleen who came to turn down our bed every evening and created amazing animal sculptures out of towels (we took pictures!); to Rachel who made our cabana day so very relaxing; to Camille at Red Lane Spa for all the TLC she provided to me, twice; to the young man installing beach party tiki torches (I missed writing down his name but was maybe Odin); to Ryan the butler because even though we did not have a butler, he made us feel important and like family every time we saw him; to Richie at the scuba shop because he kept my husband focused, safe and happy while diving so many times. My only regret is that I did not write down all of the names so if I missed someone, I am sorry. Each person we met made us feel special, every day. My last thanks goes out to the bus driver (again, I did not write down a name) who drove us to the airport. He works for Juta tours I think, and after our tire blew out, then started to fall apart, he kept us all safe and comfortable while he changed the tire and still got us to the airport on time. We hope to see all of you when we return next year!
My only complaint, which was only the smallest inconvenience, was the phone in our room did not work, and though we reported it 4 times, it was never fixed.

Room Tip: Get a butler room - this is the one thing we did not do that we regretted, only because everyone we...
Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

We went as a group of 8 and there was truly something for everyone between the all inclusive water sports, the various restaurants/bars, the spa, the relaxation of either of the pools or the beautiful beach, etc. We booked our 7 day getaway through Ultra Tech Travel-All Inclusive Vacations and this made all the difference. Our travel agent, Jillian Turney Albright made everything so effortless and with her expertise and knowledge of not only this resort but plenty of others, we came to the conclusion together that this was the resort for us. The thing that made our trip the best was the our travel agent, Jillian made sure that all of our rooms were in the same villa. It was like the 8 of us had our own little house with our own private pool! The food and unlimited drinks that Sandals has to offer is always outstanding. We stayed in one of the butler room categories which was really amazing and a lot of fun because you have access to anything you need and you really become best friends with your butlers. My boyfriend even got them to set up a little romantic scene in our room with flowers and the whole nine yards! Overall this was an amazing trip and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Once you stay in a butler room category you will never want to travel any other way!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,710 reviews
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!