“Wish I was still there!”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This place was so awesome! There are not enough reviews about the cottages. They are the best location there. Ocean front can be a little noisy and not as private. We had a 1 minute walk to the fabulous breakfast buffet and the beach along a beautiful walk way. There is a private pool and hot tub right next to the cottages. Plantation like shutter doors. Which my husband would have opened when I woke up in the morning. Such greenery and flowers to see 1st thing in the morning makes you jump out of bed! Chad was our main concierge. He was fantastic! Don't think you need a butler when they do everything for you. Jerod the bell hop was the friendliest guy you can meet. And Richard the electrician. We didn't need his services but we loved talking to him. The reggae guy on Tuesday nights is fantastic! Wish the band would have him more often. Was disappointed it wasn't him for the white party. We did have problems when we arrived. Huge bee nest on our patio. Ceiling fan was so messed up it seemed like it would fall on us. Within 30 minutes they had everything fixed! No problem! Dinner wasn't great but I didn't go there for that. Breakfast and lunch at the grill was fantastic. People that complain the ocean isn't deep enough, just go to the ochi beach. It is over your head. Most beautiful water ever! We snorkeled right there and saw so many awesome things. Booze cruise to dunns river is a must to do. I would go back in a heartbeat! They have awesome cocktail waitresses that bring you your drinks right on the beach. The BEST Saniqua Roberts! Love her! If you don't want to buy souvineers from Sandals, There are Jamaican's selling hand crafted things at the edge of the resort. That is where I bought really cool things. Love Sandals but I would rather buy from the Jamaicans! All in all, you can't beat this resort!

Room Tip: Cottages. Close to everything with privacy
3  Thank saidiePa

Something for Everyone

I recently returned from a six-night stay at this resort. I think the experience really offered something for everyone. Want to party and dance? You can do that. Prefer quite nights? You can have those, too. Like water sports? Check. Want to lay out? Better get up early to get a chair.

My husband and I had a room in one of the garden villas on the beach side, without butler service. We enjoyed staying in a smaller structure, as opposed to a hotel tower. We always want a balcony on vacation, and we had a semiprivate one here on the ground level surrounded by plants, which suited us nicely. The mini-fridge was stocked with all complimentary beverages, including the house wines, which we found very good and drinkable. A tray of paid snacks was on the dresser, with price list. We enjoyed very prompt room service several times for no extra charge.

The resort property is divided into two sides by a local road. Your room will be either on the beach side of the road, or the hill side of the road. A shuttle transports guests between the reception lobbies on either side, on a regular basis. Hill side rooms seemed to have the butler service, and generally the hill side amenities seemed to be the somewhat newer, definitely larger part of the property. We did not have butler service, and never felt we needed it. Furthermore, since I was diving once or twice a day, it was great to be on the beach side closer to the dive shop.

The property is lovely and maintained well. It somehow did not feel as big as the maps made it seem. When we wanted a change of scenery, we could take the shuttle up to the hill side.

We were glad to see no golf carts carts driving guests around the property. It was all quiet, pedestrian paths. It was nice to be able to walk the resort. Everything was typically a short walk away.

Dining options seemed ample, with a variety of restaurants serving different cuisines. Sometimes we had to wait for a table, which did not bother us; we just relaxed at the closest bar. By all accounts the food here is amazing for a resort. Although I could never entirely shake the hotel restaurant vibe, I always enjoyed the food. We especially enjoyed The Reef (great outdoor terrace and Jamaican cuisine), Valentino’s (indoor, serving very good Italian), and our man Leon made our favorite pizza for an afternoon snack everyday at the pizza oven. Several couples reported iffy, slow dinner service at Bayside.

If you are into healthy eating, Sabrina’s and Bayside offer a nice selection of fresh fruits and vegetables at breakfast and lunch, served buffet style. For dinner, I think it is best to plan to relax your diet restrictions and enjoy yourself. There are few vegetarian options. Some menu items are designated “Healthy” (you can decide if you agree with the designation).

The service is good, though not infallible. I think it is what I expected at a place that aims to provide a luxury experience to a large number of people, in a setting where the standard of living is relatively low. There were multiple times where I felt frustrated, unsure whether I was on Jamaican time or if my request had simply been forgotten. I guess it takes more than five nights for this American to get the Jamaica vibe. Nonetheless, the good outweighed the frustrating moments, with the majority of the staff seeming genuinely concerned for our enjoyment.

I went scuba diving every day and, as a relatively new diver, really enjoyed the opportunity to practice diving. The reef seems to be recovering from a period of mismanagement and abuse. The dive staff was quite friendly and jovial and always instructed us to look but not touch, in addition to the standard safety briefing before each dive. Of all the dives I went on, I most enjoyed the trip to the Kathrine wreck and swim through the caverns there.

The scuba was completely free, except for the cost to rent a wet suit, which was $10 per dive. All other equipment was provided, if needed, though it was not uncommon for divers to have their own. I wore a shirt over my swimsuit on all but one dive. I did get chilly on occasion, especially exiting the water, so I suggest bringing a towel onto the boat if possible. Otherwise, I found the water temp quite manageable without a wetsuit. Paid dives are also offered, though I’m unsure how often; I was never informed of them, or the timing didn’t work for me.

My husband golfed and found there were fees in order to actually get on the course. For 9 holes w/tip figure about $50; 18 holes w/tip about $80. He was required to pay for a cart and caddie. He found the course to be wide open, with few places to get into trouble. A small basket of balls at the driving range was $5, plus tip for the guy who drove him out there. You can store your clubs at the course if you like.

We were surprised there were almost no bugs! Leave the bug spray at home.

Beach towels could be hard to get. I usually ended up hoarding one anytime I saw them stocked, as I was diving regularly but they were never stocked when I actually needed one. It would be nice if the beach goers would be more considerate with the number of towels used, and if they would put their towels in the bin when finished so someone else can use the chair, but there’s not much anyone can do about that.

There is no natural beach. Despite the size of the resort property, the actual beach front is somewhat limited, and every foot of it is claimed for water sports or swimming. If you enjoy walks on the beach on your vacation, try Negril instead of Ocho Rios.

There are a lot of steps on the property. It is definitely not handicap accessible. Watch your step, as you go up/down at least a few steps to get pretty much anywhere. Consider aqua socks at the beach if you are unsteady, as the beachfront can be a bit pebbly at the shoreline. It would be easy to stub a toe or trip if not careful. I saw one gentleman fall while walking out of the water, I assume because he was walking over the rocks and was already a little unsteady on his feet.

The entertainment was great. We enjoyed every show we could. They really encourage people to participate. The beach party and chocolate buffet were especially impressive to me. The hosts could be hilarious once things started to go a little off script.

On our last day, our airport transfer departed first thing in the morning. We didn’t have time for anything but to quickly pack and grab breakfast. That was our last day at the resort. This left us with ample time at the airport before our afternoon flight, and I wish we had asked to be on a later bus. I’m unsure why we were scheduled to depart so early.

Do not purchase tickets to Club Mobay, unless you are a big drinker or really want the expedited service through airport security. We found the lounge to be cave-like and too isolated from what was going on with the departing flights, and the food is not very substantial or fresh. (My husband also somehow lost all the contacts on his phone after using their WiFi.) There are plenty of dining options and shops in the departure terminal, where we wish we had spent our time.

We had a wonderful time at Sandals in Ocho Rios, and we were really bummed to leave. I definitely recommend a visit here for a relaxing beach resort vaca, and we met lots of people who come back every year. Thank you to the staff who made sure we could enjoy this idyllic place and escape the Chicago winter for a brief time.

Room Tip: Garden villa rooms are quiet and within walking distance to the beach
5  Thank CojackChicago
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was our second trip to a Sandals resort in early February 2014. We stayed at the Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios. What a beautiful resort from the Manor side to the seaside. A gorgeous resort all around! The staff were amazing and catered to all of our needs. Our butler Curtis was the "James Bond of butlers with a license to thrill!" Our best meal of the week was a special lobster lunch which Curtis prepared himself and brought to the beach with his signature drink. A true treat! Sherriffa was the other butler we had that made sure all of our needs were taken care of. Her signature drink was incredible! Michael was one of the waiters at the resort who will not be forgotten for his impecable service and poolside dancing. All in all the service, butlers and Sandals experience at this resort will never be forgotten

Room Tip: Upgraded to Butler service. Nice and quiet Amazing experience!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 705Jacqueline1964
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My wife and I arrived at the SGR resort after the hour and some bus ride...and we were a little disappointed with the view from our room: we were told we would be in the Manor house, with a garden view, and that's what we got. But guess what? We spend so little time in the room it mattered not a bit to us. The bed was very comfy, and the place was clean. Someone has to use those rooms-but imagine our surprise when we bumped into two couples from here in Nova Scotia, whom we know well, and they were in a butler suite for the same price as we paid. Hmmmmm........they did book in September, though, and we booked in December. So shop around.
I came to this resort because I wanted to scuba dive; I was not disappointed. Our instructor, Richie Major, is the man!!! He took expert care of us, taught us well, repeated and drilled us on the safety protocols, over and over again. He knows his stuff, and our group felt we had the best possible training for the 30 to 40 ft depths to which we would be descending. Over the week I went out three times. Tip: If you want to dive, and your significant other doesn't want to be left on the beach, asking if he/she can come on the boat ride (and maybe snorkel) while you are diving, will get the usual "No problem, mon". I thought it was so cool to see my wife swimming on the surface, 30 feet above me, and waving at me as we awaited our team members for buoyancy check and equalization, before we would set out for our excursion over the reef. The water is so warm, but the reefs around this resort lack a lot of variety.
The food at SGR is excellent. The fillet mignon I had at Kelly's Dockside our first evening (ask and you might receive) was not filet mignon - it was a steak a tad overdone, tasted good though. And if your red wine is warm, which happened a couple times, tell your server and you will be satisfied.
Yes, the portions are small, but you're eating a 4 couse dinner!! If you want more, ask. I love the small portions because I got to taste a lot of different things without leaving the restaurant bloated. The Reef terrace had the best steak I've had in a while, and the view is fabulous. We visited SOY, the sushi house, for appetizers, then went to dinner. SOY as a real Japanese chef, and the nibbles we tried made us think about going back for a full meal; alas, we ran out of days.This business of sampling is something a lot of people are trying. The rack of lamb at Valentino's our third night was superb - my waiter, noticing I was drinking chardonnay with my appetizer and soup, read my mind in asking me if I was interested in switching to a red with my entree. I wish I could remember the waiter's name....good job, mon.
The small catamarans (hobies) are super easy to sail, and for me, getting out twice (and returning to shore safely) without needing to be rescued was a major accomplishment.
Dress code for dinner: gentlemen, don't bring jeans as your long pants - so tacky.
We loved this resort. This was our first time in Jamaica, and our other experiences in the Caribbean, although mostly good, pale when compared to the Sandals Grande Riviera.
Our last morning, having coffee outside the Polo Lounge, watching the resort come to life, Henry introduced himself, and for the next ten minutes told us of working here for the last 22 years. Such a gentle soul, and so sincere. To all the staff whose names I cannot remember, thank you for a truly fabulous week.
We are hoping to come back next year.

2  Thank JDM54
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at Sandals for 7 nights, our room was in a central location that worked great. Mitchael was wonderful and helpful. At one point I had an issue with a credit from the spa and needed assistance; the evening manager, Shane, worked to resolve it. The next day (Sunday) the guest relations manager also spoke to me. My husband and I were pleased with the service and responsiveness of staff and management. We will return.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I will preface this review by saying my absolute favourite resort is Sandals Negril, which is a relatively small and intimate resort that boasts a beautiful beach and the most stunning sunsets. You can walk from one end of that resort to the other in about 15 minutes. So to go from this resort one year to Sandals Grande Riviera the next year was a bit of a shock to the system.

Walking from one end of the resort to the other is not doable. In fact, you need to rely on a bus to get you from one end to the other.

When we were booking the resort we knew there were two sides to the resort -- the manor side, with all the butler villas, and the beach side. We usually go for the beach side but saw how relatively inexpensive the butler villas were and we knew we'd never shell out the money for a butler on any other resort, so we decided to seize this one chance to try out the butler experience. So, we booked the manor side. We had to take a bus to the beach or to any of the amenities/restaurants located on or near the beach. I found that very inconvenient. If I forgot something in my room, I'd have to turn around, walk to the bus stop, wait for the bus, go for a short ride to the Manor House and then walk to my room, then walk back and catch the bus to go back down. Very inconvenient. We were lucky that our villa was right by the Manor House -- other people who had a villa far from the Manor house (where the bus stop is) would have to get a jitney to go to the Manor House and then get the bus from there.

The beach was insanely small. You'd just get walking and then it would be cut off by a set of stairs that you'd walk up, walk a few feet, then walk back down, then you'd get a few more feet and that would be the end of the beach. Very strange. We talked to one of the managers at the returning guest dinner and he said a man owns a section of the beach right in the middle of the property and he won't sell it to Sandals no matter how much they offer him. That's why the beach has to be broken up by a set of stairs. Needless to say, long walks on the beach aren't happening at this resort. And because the beach is small, it always felt overcrowded. Unless you could get a chair out on the dock, the beach area was always loud, never peaceful and serene.

There were no beautiful sunsets that you get in other parts of Jamaica (particularly Negril). It was disappointing.

However, the property was absolutely stunning. Every inch of it was immaculate and very modern and grand. It was definitely the best looking resort we've been on. But we just never felt "at home" the way we have at other Sandals properties we've been on, which happen to be much smaller. If I were to go back there for some reason, I would opt for a room on the beach side but in the gardens. That was my favourite part of the entire resort -- they were so lush and beautiful. It was amazing walking through them at night, listening to the tree frogs.

The food was great -- never a bad meal!! They weren't afraid of adding spice to their dishes there, and we love spicy food. So we were 100% satisfied with that! As always, the staff was incredible -- you never get a "sorry, we can't do that for you' answer. You ask for something and they make it happen!!

Having a butler was nice but it really wasn't for us -- we didn't make much use of them at all because we like to do our own thing and it felt weird asking them for something we can easily do ourselves, especially when we're just sitting around doing nothing.

In sum, I can tell why some people love that property because it is absolutely gorgeous and has all the amenities and cuisine you could ever imagine.... but since I love small resorts that sit right on a long stretch of beach, this one wasn't for me.

3  Thank juicyinjamaica
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Sandals Grande Riviera is a great place to relax people watch and have a great time. Overall we had a fantastic vacation and the staff was amazing. We were delayed getting to Jamaica for a day due to weather, and between our great Travel Agents Mike and Amy at Dream Makers Vacations, and Karima, the Loyalty Manager at Sandals they were able to extend us on the back end of our trip so we didn't miss a day. When at 6 am in the morning our flight got canceled it was great to know we could call Mike and Amy and they were able to help us get everything re-booked and changed. We have done business with them before and they've always been great, but the real test is what happens when things go wrong and Dream Makers was right there to help us in any way we needed.

The only criticism on this trip was the buss/shuttle ride from the airport to the resort. Everything was going very smoothly. They took us to our bus, we loaded all the luggage and boarded the bus. The driver told us we were waiting for additional passengers. We told him that we told inside that it was just the 2 of us, and the other couple that was already on board. He said he would check. After waiting about 20 minutes they said we were right so they didn't want to send a big bus so we would have to switch to a smaller one. So we had to move all our luggage and then reload on the smaller bus. As we left the airport we thought we were now on our way. Just outside the airport, our driver said he was going to pull over up ahead to change drivers. We pulled over on the shoulder and indeed there was another driver and her girlfriend were waiting there and they switched. The only thing we can think of Is that the new driver was not licensed to pick up at the airport. This made us feel uncomfortable as we were sitting on a shoulder while we met up with some car with a different driver. Again as we got going we thought we were set. As we drove, the driver would continuously shut off the air conditioning saying it was too much of a strain on the engine, and would open her window, but we did not have windows to open in the back. It ended up that most of the ride was without air which made for a hot and uncomfortable ride.

When we arrived at the resort though the fun and great service began. Karima the loyalty manager welcomed us, saying that they were glad we had arrived even if it was a day late and confirming that they had extended our stay on the end to make sure we had all of our days.

We were at this resort last year and struggled with whether we should go back to the same resort or try a different one. Going back this time made us feel we made the right decision. It was truly amazing when Herlon, one of the bell men recognized us by name and welcomed us back with big hugs. We remembered him, but never expected him to recognize us a year later. Every day if we were going through the lobby he would see us and come up to us, say hello and make sure we were happy and ask if there was anything we needed.

Even though the resort was sold out, there was an increase in the number of waiters/ waitresses so whether at the pool, on the beach or in a bar, there were no long waits to get your next drink. This was a big improvement over last year, when there was an occasional wait. A great improvement.

The service we had throughout the resort was amazing. We ate at Neptunes the first night, which is the beach restaurant and Ramone our waiter found out we had just arrived and treated us like we were his only guest. The great service continued throughout our trip. At the Manor, Julia was our Hostess and again she made sure we were well taken care of.

Joseph is one of the bar managers, and it was amazing to us that he remembered us and again he made a point whenever he saw us on the resort to stop and say hello and make sure everything was going well. Joe still does his very entertaining show at Ethel's Piano Bar most nights.

At Kimonos' Japanese Restaurant we asked for Tex as our Chef and he was absolutely amazing. We had heard great things, and many times the reputation fails to live up to the reality. In this case it surpassed the reputation. Tex was an amazing Chef and Entertainer and made the evening very enjoyable. He does some of the normal Japanese Steak House knife work and entertainment, but he takes it a step well above. Hank was the waiter at our table and again did everything he could to make sure we were well taken care of.

Sundowner's is a great place to sit, relax and enjoy the view of the ocean. We sat in a corner where it was very private and romantic. Again what great service. Monique was our waitress and made sure that even though we were in a kind of isolated spot we never went thirsty waiting for a drink.

As I said, the service at this resort is amazing. One of our favorite spots is Ethel's piano bar. While we were there the first night we met Tyrone the Bartender who took great care of us. Again we were amazed when we found out he was a floating bartender that fills in at different bars throughout the resort. The reason we know this is that wherever Tyrone saw us around the resort he made a point of making our favorite drinks without us even having to order. We also met Martin at Ethel's who was the regular bartender. Again, what amazing service. Martin would see us walk in and make a point of making sure we had our drinks in our hand almost as soon as we walked in. He made us feel like we were the only guests in the bar, even though he was taking great care of a full house.

We had several occasions to stop at the front desk, once to book a pool cabana, and once to take care of an issue with our Wi-Fi service. Peaches one of the managers helped us with both, and again watched for us throughout the resort and went out of her way to say hi and ask if we needed anything at all.

One of our favorite places to eat at Sandals is Soy, the Sushi Restaurant. Arturo is the usual Chef and we were looking forward to seeing him again as he has always done a great job making great suggestions on things we should try. Arturo was there the first two days of our visit and again, he was wonderful. Arturo left for vacation, and we were concerned that the service would not be as good. The next time we went to Soy, we met Wilson, who is also a Sushi Chef, and also did a great job. The one night we went in just for appetizers, and he treated us to such a variety of great food we left stuffed.

When we were at this resort last time, we did not attend any of the entertainment, but this time we did, and it was great. We got to meet the Playmakers, who are in charge of the games around the resort and the entertainment at night. Tanisha, Romario, Mario & Boom Boom, were great to talk to and did an amazing job trying to make sure everyone was having a good time. They would find on us the beach or at the pool and get us involved in games, dance lessons, you name it. They also put on some great evening shows. While we were there we saw an incredible show by the Silver Birds, Steel Drum Band. By the name you would think you were going to go see a group of silver haired seniors playing Calypso music. Not even close. This was an amazing group of young people that played pop music on the steel drums while putting on an amazing show with dancing, acrobatics and an amazing energy. The show was so good that we saw it a second time, and we don't normally do that. The other great show we saw was the history of Reggae. If you have a chance and either of these shows is there when you are, you should go see them.

Our favorite place to hang out was at the Beach is near Jamie's bar, as it is the best of all worlds. You are on the beach in the sun which is wonderful by itself. The ocean in that area is walled in by a pier all the way around so you are never more than chest deep in the water and you are protected from any waves. You are only a few yards from Jamie's Bar, and one of the snack stands just on the other side. Siniqua is one of the waitresses on the beach and she did a great job on checking on us throughout the day and getting us whatever we wanted.

One of the places we liked to hang out during the mid day when the sun had gotten to us a little bit, was Kelly's Dockside Bar. The bartender there was Kerry Ann, who had been our beach waitress last year. Again we were impressed that she remembered us, and just like last year went way out of her way to make sure we were having a great time. In the mornings, she works in the Breakfast buffet and made me the most incredible fresh fruit smoothy each morning.

To sum it all up, going back to the same place you worry if it will live up to your memories. In this case it surpassed on memories. The great staff and their attention to us as their guest made our vacation wonderful. They made us feel like family coming home for a visit. The tag line that Sandal's uses of "Welcome Home" really fits at this resort because of the great people they have.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
#8 of 64 in Montego Bay
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!