“Second time and more impressed than the first!”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We went to this resort last year for our honeymoon and decided to come back for our first anniversary Both of our trips were booked for us by our FABULOUS travel agent, Penny Sheldon Travel. We had a BLAST! Our butlers Jeremy and Richard were EXCELLENT!! They more than exceeded our expectations.and we could tell they truly cared that we were having a good time! The food was excellent we really enjoyed Soy(sushi), The Reef Terrace, and Bayside. We like seafood. We went snorkeling multiple times and had so much fun! We also enjoyed a day with butler service in a cabana.It was enjoyable since sometimes you have to get up early to reserve a good spot by the pool or beach. Every single person who worked at the resort was welcoming and friendly. They obviously strive to make sure their guests feel well taken care of! I would HIGHLY recommend this resort to any and everyone! :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brianna B
Write a ReviewReviews (8,685)

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to a Sandals resort. We have now been to two different ones. But we when stayed the first time it was so nice and relaxing. To be able to get far away from work and everything with the one you luv is wonderful. I'm ready for my 3rd trip hopefully next year with some close friends. They have never been. I know they will love it.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed from the 1st till the 8th of April......Oh where shall I begin.... First I will say that my husband and I read ALOT of reviews.We read them and then we decide who are the picky, and who are the realist's. The picky will NEVER be happy, and the REAL people will tell you the truth. Well I am here to tell you the truth, This place is amazing!!! We have been to the Whitehouse...yes it is fantastic.But let's not forget that it is newer,and a LONG way from the airport, We had a Wonderful time there. But an EVEN better time at the Grande Riveria. The staff are beyond wonderful. The food is fantastic. The shows in the evening are out of this world entertaining. We love to snorkel (and even have our own equipment) that being said...the fish were amazing right out front of the resort. Our room was wonderful with an awesome view of the Ocean,we stayed on the 4th floor,on the Riviera side. The walk to everything is so close. We celebrated our 35th anniversary,and our evening turn down service had our bed full of flowers and a lovely note when we arrived to our room in the evening. I can not say enough of the wonderful service that we had. The amazing welcoming staff. The beautiful property and the fast room service.The selection from the menu was great.From the moment we arrived until the day we had to leave was a moment to remember. I would recommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: If you like a view of the Ocean stay on the Riviera side . 3rd floor or higher.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Laurie686
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We were married at this resort in 2009 and returned in 2010 for our one year anniversary. We decided to visit Sandals Grande Riviera for our 5th anniversary and just returned home to the states late Friday night.

Overall, we had a good vacation. There were, however, some truly disappointing issues and I can say that we will not return to this resort again. We had booked an ocean view room on the hillside in the Manor building. We realized that this wouldn't be an exceptional ocean view, but we have stayed on this side of the resort on our two prior visits (in the hillside villas) and enjoy the peace and quiet here as opposed to the busier, noisier Riviera side.

I do not want to look a gift horse in the mouth, because the gesture was appreciated, but we were "upgraded" to a room on the Riviera side that was concierge level. We hadn't booked concierge this time because our experiences with concierge and butler level rooms on the last two visits were nice, but not needed for us. Not only we were moved to the Riviera side, but we were put in a room on the back of the building overlooking a battered, lower roof with maintenance supplies and the constant thrum and noise of air conditioning and other equipment below. No ocean view. At all.

We started out with a positive attitude about it and figured it's worth giving a shot since we've never experienced this side of the resort. Plus, we get concierge. Okay, great. The ONE thing I wanted to do on the resort was have dinner at Kelly's Dockside. So we get into our room at about 2:30pm on Friday, April 4th and my husband calls concierge to ask about scheduling Kelly's for the following week. The gentlemen who answered said that they were all booked up for this week and my husband explained we had just arrived and were looking for the following week. The man suggested we call first thing Monday to reserve a table, but that he would write it down. Guess what? I called Monday morning (approximately 8:30am) and am told by another man that they are all booked up for the week. I explained what we were told Friday and this guy sounds baffled. He says he'll put us on the wait list and they will let us know if anything opens up. It never did.

Sunday afternoon I stopped in at the Riviera side concierge desk to mention that the hair dryer in the room wasn't working. Sherise (sp?) jots something down and says that they will take care of it. It's not a huge deal. I'm fine with air drying my hair while vacationing in the Carribbean, but thought it would be nice to pretty up for a dinner or two with my husband. We had to call again Wednesday afternoon to follow-up and a replacement dryer was delivered to our room just in time to get ready for the returning guests dinner.

Overall, it was still vacation. Time away from home and work that was enjoyed by both of us, but the food was more standard fair than on prior visits. We were able to have lobster one night and shrimp at a couple restaurants. The filets were more on par with a sirloin this time around - though they were cooked perfectly. Drinks were fabulous, as always.

The staff was less congenial than on our prior stays and my concern is that Sandals attempts to step it up at this resort have put more strain on the staff. It was a noticeable difference. Claude at Sabrina's and O'Brien at Bayside were the only two servers that smiled and showed some interest in whether or not we were enjoying ourselves. Errol at the Sundowner bar was smug, but made a great drink.

Carrie at the returning guests dinner was cheerful and fun. I briefly mentioned our disappointment with the "upgrade" and she mentioned the additional services offered through concierge. I didn't bother to mention the poor experience with concierge. We only had one full day remaining in our trip at that point and I was still trying to enjoy myself.

One extremely positive comment I can make was that the housekeeping staff did a superb job! I've never stayed in a room so clean for the entire stay. The changing towel animals left on the bed everyday was a fun touch.

I wish I returned home from this trip with the desire to share with friends and family how wonderful this Sandals resort is, but it just wasn't meant to be this time around.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the Riviera hotel building are loud with a dirty view of the maintenance areas...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EverytingsIrie
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The staff and grounds were great. We stayed in one of the villas on the hill, 4 couples per building, sharing a pool. It was very easy to walk 10 mins to the beach, or catch a ride with a staff member. Not very much actual beach in front of the main hotel but hey, its all-inclusive so it would be really hard to have a bad time!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We had a great stay. Our butler Nadine made us feel special.I am a certified diver and took a specialty deep dive course. My instructor Jeno took real good care of me. made sure I was on the list for every dive and worked with me one on one with training. Donna was one of the housekeepers for our villa. she was a sweet lady that always had us a smile. Jackie W. At the spa was Jackie Wonderful. We combined two menu items to have steak and lobster. If you do not like being spoiled do not go.
The food was great. At one restaraunt

The food was great lobster and filet mijonn

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Got married and returned to this Sandals resort! We stayed on the mountain side and had a pool directly infront of our room. The pool was shared with 3 other rooms, but never saw anyone else, fairly private! We loved it and will know have to try a Beaches due to having a child now!

Room Tip: Use the concierge service,well worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!