“Back again, can't wait till DEC. /14”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 10 June 2014

K we just love this place, we are active 50's and love to walk and just enjoy the amazing surroundings. The trees, flowers everything, it's stunning. Everywhere is beauty. It's so relaxing, you feel like you're in heaven. Didn't do any extras this time as money was tight, but still enjoyed every minute. Last year we stayed in the Villas (was concierge then, butler now) this year it was the oceanview room near the biggest pool and we loved it. The view was amazing. So close to everything. However in Dec. 14 we are going to be in the Riviera, just to be even closer to the beach and the Ochi Beach Club.
Love love the new Ochio beach Club, the view and privacy in the Tree House area is amazing.
Pool there is warm and inviting. Pool temp changes according to where the pool is located and time of day. In Dec. 12 we spent more time at the pool at the edge of the property near the Theatre, Dec. 13 is was the Ochi Club. Food amazing everywhere. We have tried almost everywhere and really don't know why people come to the Caribbean to eat IN. So we loved the Reef, I really think its our fav. because the view out over the bay is totally amazing, tiki lights all around, breezes ( no mozzies) I would have eaten there almost every nite if the menu would change more. We also ate at Soy outside at the bar tables, what an experience, sun going down, me eaten sushi and dumplings….ahhh doesn't get much better. Loved the polo lounge,
for late nites, staying in the Manor Oceanview Room,( very economical but sells outs fast) meant the polo lounge was so close. We are not big drinkers, but did try a few of the daily specials here and the latte machine, (although temperamental ) was amazing in the morning. View is lovely fro m outside the Polo Lounge. We hadn't been able to get to the grill downstairs below the Polo Lounge, (name???) since we started coming to the Grande, but we went down when they were closing, and they made us up a sample plate of goodies and DELIVERED it to us while we sat in the Polo Lounge. Above and beyond, I just can't imagine they went to all that trouble just for MEEEE. Look I think Sandals is an awesome deal no matter which way you look at it. We went back to Jamaica ( after Dec. !3) on Feb. 3 for 11 days to surprise and celebrate my hubbies 60th. I had booked at Sandals but thot well maybe I could get it cheaper elsewhere, so I cancelled. Well we did enjoy our time on the South Coast but after it was all said and done, I asked my hubby " really which did you enjoy more Sandals or the off resort jaunt in South Coast? Well he said" I
did enjoy the South Coast but really when we go back, lets go back to Sandals, its so much more restful and NO STRESS" Really the South Coast was great and unusual but we had concerns over how much we were spending, security, taxis, long travel over really bad roads etc. When all was said and done, we realized Sandals had it all…want to scuba, done, want privacy and snuggle time in a day bed in front of the fire pits near Kimonos ( this is a must do, grab a bottle of champagne and spend a few hours, this is one of the truly most romantic and enjoyable evenings you will spend ) and yes did I mention it FREEEE. No counting the cost. Look after 6 kids, my husband can relax and not count the cost because so much is included. You can budget what you need to and then RELAX. No toppings (unless you're in Butler suite), great service, food, food, food, lots of fresh fruit, they even bring you drink to the beach….you don't even have to get up!!! Try the Dirty Banana, (get it half the sugar syrup) and also try the soft ice cream opposite Neptunes, at the Grill, you can put it in a glass and then top with rum. Try the coconut shrimp there, I can;t believe how great they are. We would get them ( no fries) as a md afternoon snack. Kayaks, snorkel equipment, little day sailers to try out, have fun and save your money for a return trip. It is so great not to have to nickel and dime everything, just go and enjoy, make sure you walk all through the property, it is stunning. In Dec. I didn;t see any mozzies, either year.
The resort is not full in the early to mid Dec. we usually leave boxing Day or the 23, 24th.
Make sure you buy the ticket to Mo Bay Lounge for at least your departure, due to weather in Canada we were delayed very late 2x. Mo Bay Lounge ticket was much cheaper than buying over priced fast food in the airport and we could relax with our feet up!! I really think the perfect Vaca is to stay at the Carlyle for 4 days ( where you can day visit MO Bay and the RC FREE) then on to the Grande ( yes they take you compared to the 110x2 we paid to go back and forth from the South coast) and then go back to the Carlyle for another 3 days or so. You get to see 4 Sandals in one vacation. Make it about 13-15 days, and you won't; regret it. The absolute best value and yes we would like to go to The Source or the Bahamas but as I said "6 Kids" so its the Carlyle and the Grande for us. How about you??

Room Tip: Look after staying in multiple rooms my best choice for ocean view would be the ocean view in the Ma...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank freddiemac1

Reviewed 10 June 2014

You can definitely not go wrong with this resort. We chose this resort for our honeymoon, and were very very pleasantly surprised at the look, feel, and quality of everything. While we have never been to an all-inclusive resort before, so we may not have much to compare to, the Sandals experience really wow'd us. I will touch on a few different areas:

Accommodations: We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a butler villa. Our view was awesome and the room was great. It was essentially a 3 room suite, with a living room (small couch and TV), small bar/kitchen area (sink & fridge), and large bedroom. The bed was extremely comfortable. The room was quite spacious, and included a small outdoor balcony with 2 chairs and table. The balcony was awesome, as we spent many mornings eating breakfast out there, as well as a pre-drink cocktail.

Service: The service in the butler villas is a bit overwhelming. It was likely due to our personal preference to be a bit more independent, but we felt that the butler was checking in with us more than us checking in or asking for anything from the butler. It was very nice having the butler at your beck and call to pick you up from the villa if needed, or make any arrangements for dinners, activities, etc. Overall butler service was great, but a bit over the top.

Food & Beverage: Food far surpassed our expectations. The dining options were very diverse and each of them were extremely tastey. We enjoyed Hibachi style, which was in all honesty the best I have been to anywhere (resort of regular restaraunt included). We sampled some sushi, which was also extremely good and way above what we expected. Finally, we had dinner our last night at the Italian restaurant, which was just as good as all the others. Beverage options were equally outstanding, with a ton of choices, and very high quality brands. Only wish would be that they would have more beer options above RedStripe and RSLight.

Activity & Social: Tons of options. Lots to do on the resort. This one felt like a pretty social resort. They set up events to try to encourage some social interaction. It was really fun and well done. There were also many options at the resort to keep us busy, such as paddleboarding, snorkeling, the gym, etc. We didnt venture off the resort, except for golf.

The golf course (greens fees included) was a 15 minute drive away and a great option for a bit of a change than sitting on the beach. The course was OK. Not a great course, but definitely nice enough.

Overall Grade: B+
Value Adjusted Grade: A+++

1  Thank Gabe B
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We spent a beautiful week long vacation celebrating our 25th anniversary May 10-17.

I must start off & tell you we had the BEST BUTLERS JOSIE & CHRISTA!! They went out of there way for us expecially, Josie. My husband was needy....requesting a step stool to get into the tall bed, night light for the bathroom & limes for his drink. Josie made sure he had it all. We miss you both!!

The bus ride to & from the resort was not that bad as I have been reading before our trip. Yes, its long but, enjoy the scenery.

We had a Butler Village Honeymoon Poolside 1 bedroom Villa Suite....#7237. We had a surprise amazing view of the ocean, everything was great in our suite. We never used the pool at the villa, but, had a romantic dinner outside on our patio.

We spent most of our time at the manor pool with the swim up bar. I noticed that each day it was the same people......we had lots of great conversations with many people & even made new friend's. Kirk the bartender made the best drinks there....try his Wolverine!! We had lunch a few times from the pizza place right there also.

Had the most amazing time on the catermerran to Dunn River Falls. I didbt want to go but, hubby did. You snorkel on the way....then on to Dunn River Falls. The water is freezing which was fine but, very crowded. I fell on one of the rocks & hurt my tailbone big time. The ride back was WILD & FUN!! Loud with lots of drinking.

We ate at every restaurant except Kimonos & Bayside. Every place was delicious. We didnt have one bad meal. I did feel that Valentino's had very close seating in there. The chinese restaurant at the Great House was very surprisingly yummy...not what you expect.

Everyone should see the steel drums.....those Jamaicians were AMAZING!

We spent every night at the Polo Lounge at the Great House Manor with another amazing person "Ricardo" the bartender. He is a must to visit.....try his "Big Jack"!! We miss you Ricardo!

Every person we met on each side of the Sandal's resort were very friendly & kind to us. We sure do miss the wobderful hospitality from you all!! Thank you for making our trip memorable.

One thing that I will say that I didnt care for was out side our suite in the hallway was a closet that didnt close. They put room service dishes in it & the cats roaming around get in it. Scared us one night.

If you want the best butlers.....request Josie & Christa!!

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank ammowife2
Reviewed 9 June 2014

So, you are considering which Sandal's property to visit....you will not go wrong here. Tremendous staff that is always happy to renew friendships and meet new couples. I've NEVER had a bad experience here. Tex remains the best chef and entertainer at Kimino's. The Dive staff are very professional and upholds high standards so you have confidence ini your abilities upon completion. Tremendious Chocolate buffet every Wednesday night that surpasses any desert experience. Food is great, you should not expect a "US portion size" as there are multiple courses in the evening dinning experience. You will not leave hungry.

Room Tip: We stay in the "concierge" level rooms...all equally appointed and comfortable.
1  Thank CobraJoe
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We had a great vacation May 31 to June 7. Our room was perfect, we had the Romeo and Juilet Suite, couldn't of been better, very clean.. our butlers Josie and Christina were great, wish we could of taken them home... the food wasn't to bad. Overall the resort was huge, lots of staris, to climb, you have to take a bus to the other side of the resort. The Come back Soon Desk is very helpful, shout out to Tyrone, Topol , and Boom-Boom. This is our 8th trip to Sandals we love them !!!

Room Tip: Get the Romeo and Juliet Suite its the BEST !!!!
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just returned after another 2 wonderful weeks at this wonderful resort. We have vacationed there for the past 2 years and on this occasion took our daughter and partner to be Sandalised. They loved it, but I'm sure that they will write their own review.

We stayed in the Butler villas on the Manor side, which was at our request and couldn't have wished for better accommodation. Our Butlers were Dacia and Necia, for the second year running and they were absolutely exceptional, doing all sorts of different things which I won't repeat as it will spoil the surprise element if you are lucky enough to be allocated these wonderful ladies. In fairness, we interacted with many of the Butlers including Shawn (Respect !!), Paula, Suzi Ann and Tasha - all of whom were excellent.

We spent most days at Jamie's Beach and admittedly did spend a little bit of time in the bar there. The staff there (Tony and Dwayne) were absolutely excellent and were ably assisted by the girls on the beach who continually were able to twist my arm to get me another beer and another, and another.... For a beach bar, it was immaculate and we were impressed at Bernard with the brush, who really never stopped brushing the place out from morning to night.

Restaurants were all very good and I cannot recall getting a bad meal. My daughter is coeliac and she was always well catered for. We did speak to Durrant, the F and B manager, who with the assistance of our Butlers ensured that she was always well catered for. The restaurants were always notified in advance by Durrant and things like sauces were made separately. Gluton free pizza and pancakes were also specially made and some of the so called classy restaurants in the UK could really take a leaf out of Sandals book in relation to this and their overall customer service.

As a qualified diver, did 5 dives during the holiday and was, as always, really impressed with the quality of the dive team.

All in all, we had a wonderful time and have already booked for 2015 through the Soon Come Back desk, which gave us a very good deal.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank NeilSusan
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I choose to be married at Sandals. We purchased the pictures and video that we wanted to shared on 5/31/2014. During the planning process we were assured that the video and pictures would be received in time for our reception. Our plan was to play our beautiful wedding video at the beginning of our reception. The stress started when we still had not received the video the week before. I contacted Sandals and I was told that the video was sent on 5/18/2014 which was when we were still there. I waited and contacted the resort again. I spent hours on hold and waiting for email messages that were useless in helping us resolve our problem. We spent thousands of dollars to be married this way and assured our families (our children) that they would be part of our celebration. We spent $1,200 for 36 pictures and for a 16 min video. After going back and forth we finally received a link from Sandals to share the pictures and the video. The video was there and had not been sent on 5/18/2014 like they said. The video was sent to us on 5/30/2014 and received 4 days after our reception. So after all of the stress we believed we are all set. The video skipped and hesitated all the way through it. We shut it off after feeling extremely disappointed. We had 130 guest sitting there not all that impressed with how Sandals captured our special day so we could share it the way we had planned. The morning of the reception the supervisor called me and said that they would credit us $250. We still have not received that nor did we get any of our honeymoons credits. We asked to use our credit twice to upgrade our room. After waiting two days we decided we didn't want to move all of our things so we asked for a honeymoon video and that was never done because our wedding planner did not get our message. The resort was wonderful because of the employees. The food was good, our room was not cleaned everyday and we listened to the noise involved in installing a walkway the whole week. However all of the good outweighed anything negative we had to say until the chaos when we got home. I would recommend the resort but I would choose another place to be married if you want to share your experience when you get home. Sandals is not the company I thought they were. I am extremely disappointed with their lack of follow up. I sent an email a week ago and I still have not heard anything from them other than the email was forwarded to a manager. What a disappointing result after choosing this company to handle our special day.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
#8 of 64 in Montego Bay
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!