“Our 10 Year Anniversary!!!!! Our Butlers Ricardo & Tasha are THE BEST!!!”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Los Angeles, California
“Our 10 Year Anniversary!!!!! Our Butlers Ricardo & Tasha are THE BEST!!!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We came back June 2014 for our 10 year anniversary. This time we stayed in the Butler Suites. Spend the extra Get a butler suite. Our butlers felt more like family. We couldnt possibly ask them to come to our room and make us a drink for us in our in room bar that was 4 feet away. Or bring us food or drinks out on the beach. But they will if you ask them to. Its what they do. They brought us a small icechest to take on one of our excursions full of our favorite sodas & water. We told them we were on our anniversary vacation and they set up our room with rose petals spelling out "LOVE" in the tub. They made reservations and met us at our restaurants that we did not need reservations for. This time we were really able to enjoy ourselves. Last time we had to meet with people for the wedding & wedding itself. This time was so much more enjoyable and Our Butlers Ricardo & Tasha And Tanesha from the watersports, Kevin, Anna & The Captain on the Kattamaran and so many others played a HUGE part in our 10th wedding Anniversary being AWESOME!!!! We Love and miss you guys!!!!!We had the best Butler team ever Ricardo & Tasha. When we left we felt as if we left our extended family behind.

Room Tip: Spend the extra Get a butler suite. We stayed in 7211 and it was so close to the great house it was...
1 Thank LupeShannon A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,562)
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Arrival:
Bear in mind that this part is not really within the control of Sandals. I am not a seasoned traveler, and so I feel it it worth mentioning to others. If you are picturing your plane landing and immediate immersion in the beauty of Jamaica, you'll be disappointed. You'll be herded into a cattle line for immigration and you'll be standing and shifting forward a couple feet with your bags in a seemingly endless bureaucratic line. Once we finally made our way out of Dante's First Circle of Hell, we grabbed our luggage and headed straight to the exclusive Sandals lounge. The Sandals greeter there couldn't manage to crack a smile and seemed a bit annoyed that we needed assistance knowing what we were supposed to be doing. We got our luggage tagged and proceeded into the lounge, where we had about 30 seconds to chug a Red Stripe on draft before we were ushered out to the bus to take us to the resort. Here is your first glimpse of porters, who will load all your bags for you and wheel them out to the bus. As they are being loaded, you'll be informed "I take care of you, now you take care of me" with an outstretched hand. 2 minutes into the sunshine of Jamaica, and already asked for cash. The porters are not employed by Sandals, and are very aggressive in their pursuit of tips. Given that I just left the U.S., where I hauled all my bags three times the distance with no issue (they make them with wheels now!), and was given no option to carry my own bags, I found this annoying.

Travel to Resort:
Others complain about the bumpy ride and the length of the trip (hour and a half or so), but I didn't really feel that these were issues. I knew in advance that we were not flying directly into Ocho Rios. However, if you are picturing that this journey will be along a picturesque landscape like the resort photos, you'll be taken aback that you are traveling along a highway that exposes you to the income disparity in Jamaica, perhaps explaining the aggressive porters. When you arrive at the resort, the bus driver reminds you that tipping is a pretty cool idea.

Check-in:
We were given lemongrass towels as promised to refresh ourselves- a nice touch. Then the guests are separated by the type of room they had booked. We, and another couple, were taken into a very nice, private sanctuary because we had Butler rooms. We were asked what we would like to drink, and there was rum punch and other refreshments readily available. Plenty of nice, plush seating for us. Everything was handled without issue, and within a short period of time, our butler Denton came for us and took us to up to our room via golf cart (which you'll become familiar with).

Room:
Building 33, room 7314. What can I say? 10/10. Excellent. We were given a quick orientation by Denton and given a cell phone to contact him and our other butler Shannae. We had champagne waiting for us and a chocolate covered apple (wife allergic to berries) that had a Congratulations and Welcome message. Our room was adjoined to one other, but no one occupied that until our second to last day, so we had the pool all to ourselves. The pool looked out over a balcony and the ocean was clearly visible over the tops of overwhelming beautiful flowers and trees. We couldn't have asked for more. Below our balcony was a hot tub, and in the entire time we were there, not a single soul other than us was encountered there, and we used it often. There was also a hammock next to the hot tub. In fact, I only saw one other guest near our room for almost our entire stay. We were stunned by the unexpected privacy! We were also close enough to the main lobby to walk along a wonderfully landscaped path if we so chose (which we often did since we enjoy taking walks together). As we explored our room, I noticed that the bar had been stocked to include top shelf bottles we had mentioned we liked. Another nice surprise. The mini-fridge was completely stocked with a variety of juices, water, and soda. The tub was very nice, as was the furniture, and the in-room safe. The air conditioning units and the ceiling fans worked great in keeping the temperature to our liking.

Butler Service:
It feels a bit strange at first, but you get used to it. I highly recommend it and our butlers were wonderfully professional and of great assistance. I'd like to take a moment here and address Sandals management who might come upon this: We had a butler trainee named Kerry-Ann during our stay who came along with Denton and Shannae. I'm sure I am spelling names incorrectly, so my apologies. Without a doubt, Kerry-Ann is ready to be moved into the role of butler and would make a wonderful addition to the outstanding crew. As a manager myself, I wouldn't hesitate to hire Kerry-Ann based upon her positive attitude and her view of hard work and how to approach attaining goals. Those are rare qualities to find.

Drinks:
No worries here! Drinks were wonderful, and virtually anything you ask for will be made and brought to you. Our favorite, by far, was the Dirty Banana.

Restaurants:
This is perhaps the only reason why this review is 4 stars instead of 5. I am a foodie, and my expectations simply were not met at most of the restaurants. I'd rate most of the fare as average, not bad mind you, but I don't believe we encountered any dishes we felt we had to have a second time. With that said, the atmosphere makes up for it quite a bit at some locations. I recommend The Reef and Kelly's Dockside for dinner solely based upon the stunning views and ambiance. Kimono's is a typical Hibachi joint, and I highly recommend that you make a reservation there on your first night as the entertainment and interaction with other guests will introduce you nicely to the attitude of the resort. We felt that Sabrina's Marketplace had the best breakfast buffet and ate there the majority of the times. We were tired one evening and had Sabrina's brought to our room via butler service and it was one of our better meals. Valentino's stands out as having the best food and service. Our waiter, Glenroy, deserves special praise. This gentleman was outstanding, and I cannot express how impressed we were with him. He should be in management, so that he can share his attitude and professionalism with others in a training environment. Do it now Sandals. Service ranged from average to good in other locations. I'd recommend that Sandals do some work with the menus to live up to the hype their website promises regarding the cuisine. If the tastes matched the environment, it would be a 5 star for sure!

Excursions:
We did two- the Honeymoon Horseback Ride and the Ultimate Dolphin Swim.

The horseback ride was a mixed bag. Time on the horses was a bit short in our opinion (compared to similar tours in the U.S.), but getting to trot on horseback through the waves of the ocean was a great experience. The Honeymoon package also means you'll be given jerk chicken and champagne in a private hut on the beach. For $250 (plus bus driver tip again, and a request for a tip from your tour guide), it seemed a bit overpriced. The guy who seemed to run the show there was very cool and told us how they save these horses. All in all, I am glad we did it, but only because it was a unique experience for our honeymoon and we did get a cd with pictures of us riding in the waves. I wouldn't recommend it outside of a weddingmoon.

The Ultimate Swim with the Dolphins was around $450. Worth it. If you are going, spend the extra money and get this package. I was smiling the entire time I was in the water with the dolphins. It was exhilarating, and made me feel like a kid (and I'm a tough guy to make feel that way). In a nutshell, you will be kissed by two dolphins (and kiss them back) to start. Then, you will be given a ride by grabbing a hold of the their dorsal fins. The finale is insane. It is hard to describe what happens, but essentially, you float on your stomach and the dolphins propel you into a near-standing position with your feet on their noses. You will never experience anything like it again, and I'd forgo all other excursions to do this one. There are a few other things to check out-- shark show (entertaining but unimpressive), holding a stingray (cool enough), and snorkeling (not much to look at down there). I recommend eating before you go and bringing your own bottled water and granola bars. They make sure and give you enough time for shopping, and make you exit through the gift shop (very tourist trap-feely). My biggest complaint here is that they will not allow you to bring your camera into the dolphin area. They have an in-house photographer who gets all the shots of you doing the cool stuff that I mentioned above. We have no pictures of this experience. Why? There is an insane price tag attached. If you are traveling as a group, and one of you is not doing the swim, have them bring a camera with a good lens and take pictures from behind the photog.

Wedding:
Absolutely wonderful job done by Kerry-Ann, our wedding consultant. Cannot sing her praises enough. Another phenomenal Sandals staff member. She was flexible, helpful, understanding, and genuinely enjoys her profession. We had a "sunset" wedding at the pier near Kelly's Dockside. Our photographer was excellent and a pleasure to work with. Everything was perfect. We were well taken care of, and I won't give all the details so that you can be surprised if you have your wedding there. We even came back to a very sweet surprise from our butlers in our room. We did a candlelit dinner on the beach and it was very romantic. Thanks Sandals for a perfect wedding.

Miscellaneous:
I recommend staying on resort property as much as possible. The all-inclusive feel of your vacation evaporates when you leave and everyone starts asking for tips. There is also the travel time in crowded streets and the illusion of being in paradise fades. Most of the excursions are things that we can do here in the U.S. much cheaper. I understand the novelty of doing it in Jamaica, but I think you'll enjoy your time more reserving a cabana by the pool or getting a massage at the spa (excellent service there as well!) We're laid-back folks who just wanted to spend time with each other, so we skipped the activities, but if you are in the mood for that, there is plenty going on and those folks seemed to be having a great time. We did snorkeling and kayaking, and hung out on the beaches and to me, those were as fun as going out on an excursion such as rafting would be.

Room Tip: Butler Village. Building 33. Room 7314. You will not be disappointed.
8 Thank Rob B
Creola, Alabama
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I just got back from a week at the resort and we can't wait to go back! Shout out to amazing staff that made the whole wedding/honeymoon experience more than we could have imagined. From Kerry Ann our Wedding planner to Valin our photographer to Lemoy who helped up with our bags. No one forgot our names and everyone was beyond friendly. YEAH MON! No Worries! We hung out mainly at the riviera pool by the amphitheater, it's a smaller pool but Andre and Tyrone the Playmakers were UNBELIEIVABLE!! We visited the manor pool one time and they were not near as fun as the other guys so we went back. They kept us laughing and entertained and always had a drink of anything you can imagine. Loved the Superman drink, so goood! The room was nice, nothing fancy but oceanview was amazing! The spa was awesome with Sakina my fabulous hair and makeup diva that made me feel beautiful:) We got a wonderful couples massage which was perfect and we got a Private Cabana one day which was nice too.

The catamaran waterfall excursion was by far the most fun and best trip ever! A MUST GO! the waterfall was beautiful and the ride on the catamaran was amazing. We snorkeled right over a reef half way and it was such a good experience. We also did the dolphin swim excursion because I have always wanted to and I am happy we did. They are amazing creatures and so much fun swimming and getting to kiss them. Downside was it was very short the time you got to actually interact with them so I would not do that again personally.

Our wedding was perfect. My immediate family was there with us which was perfect and everything went off without a hitch! We got married on the watersports beach and I am so impressed with how everything turned out. I would not change a thing about it!

Food was good, no real complaints. A little bit of everything for everyone.

white night on wednesday was great! CHOCOLATE EVERYWHERE! SO good and entertainment was good too. Jamaicans know how to have a good time. The steel drum and the breakdancing guys afterwards were amazing I could have watched them every night!

ONE TIP- if you like beach, stay on the riviera side. The manor side has the majority of the butler suites but I found out from another couple they can't drive you on their golf carts to the beach side because they have no license to drive on the road. You have to take the shuttle which comes every 5 min so it's not bad but not for us. we loved the beach side!

Room Tip: Loved our room we had an ocean view on the riviera side and I absolutely loved waking up and going t...
3 Thank Leah M
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We actually stayed the night next door at Sandals Royal Plantation (which was a great resort all the way) but we spent a lot of time over at Grand Riviera as well. Grand Riviera is split between the Hill Top and Sea Side resorts. Like two resorts in one. Getting between the two will require you to leave the resort to go across the street. This also obviously is the case going back and forth from SGR and SRP. When going from one resort to the next or from the Sea Side to Hill Side at SGR you will need to take a ride in a van/bus/truck what have you.

LADIES: DO NOT GO ALONE!

My wife had the unpleasant experience of getting a ride back to the room without me when she left the beach early to get ready for dinner. The driver, driving a converted pickup truck that said SANDALS on the side, asked her to sit in the front of the truck with him. He then shooed away everyone else who were also waiting for a ride. He then proceeded to accosted her on the ride over. This made her very upset and needless to say dampered our experience. I tried my best to find out which driver it was but was an able to.

Other than that the resort is a Sandals and as I would expect (as I've been to a few of them before) it is fantastic in every way (except the perverted driver). Will we return? Not to this resort as my wife refuses to. Which is too bad because it is a great place. We've usually gone to Sandals Royal Caribbean and we'll stick to there.

Room Tip: Ladies: Don't go on the shuttle alone!
6 Thank C C
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Ochi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Hello and thank you for your review.
We regret to hear that you did not completely enjoy your time at Sandals Grande Riviera and we are certainly concerned by the incident that you described in your review. We take every step to ensure that we provide our guests with a safe and comfortable environment and we take the matter of guest security very seriously. We would like to look into this incident further and I have sent you a message for a few additional details. I look forward to speaking with you in the near future.
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed 2 July 2014

In June 2014 we traveled to Sandals Grande Riviera for a wedding. The trip started out on a very rough start. First of all, the bus ride to the resort is very long and extremely hot so be sure to account that into your travel time. When we first pulled into the resort we were very impressed. The lawns are well taken care of and the scenery in beautiful. At check in they give you a small talk about what the resort has to offer. Honestly we were too tired and exhausted to really pay attention, but shortly we were walked to our room, but they didn't give us our luggage. All we wanted was to shower and relax so we were very frustrated when they took our bags. It took over an hour for them to bring our bags so if you want your bags immediately tell them you will take them yourself. Overall the first day was very overwhelming, but after a good nights rest our vacation really began. From now on I'll break down the different parts of the resort.

Rooms: Our room was beautiful, and although we didn't have an ocean view, the view of the garden was incredible. We also visited a few other rooms throughout the resort and they all exceeded our expectations.

Drinks: All of the alcoholic drinks are defiantly watered down, but that is pretty common for an all-inclusive resort. If you're looking for something non-alchoholic the Jamaican lemonade is delicious. All fruit juiced are freshly squeezed when your order it. Don't forget to drink some blue mountain coffee, it is incredible. Shout out to Cheese at the riviera swim up bar! He is hilarious.

Food: Overall I was 50/50 on the food. All the seafood was absolutely delicious and so were the breakfast options, but other than that the food was less than average. The portions are also very small, my finacee finally decided to order two entrees so he could get enough to eat. The way the restaurants are laid out can be confusing since they all have different hours so be sure to check the daily newsletter for that days dining options. Food is available 24/7. At night there is a beach bar open that has "comfort food" such as grilled cheese, jerk chicken, and hamburgers. They also have a nacho bar.

Beach: There are two different beaches located within the resort. One is located within the boardwalk and is relatively shallow. It also has lights in the sand so it is lit up at night. The chairs at his beach seemed cheap and were uncomfortable so we didn't spend a lot of time there. The Ochi beach is a lot nicer. This beach is a lot deeper and is completely exposed to the open ocean. The chairs on this beach are a lot nicer, but they do tend to have more people around them.

Pools: Every single pool on the property was wonderful. All of them have swim up bars and are well kept. The great house pool is the largest and also has tables in the water to set your drink down on. The Ochi beach pool is still relatively large and also had a large hot tub. The riviera pool was the pool we spent the most time at since the stage where all the entertainment occured looked over the pool.

Entertainment: Each night sandals has a different show held at the amphitheater. Each show was defiantly worth seeing. I was really impressed with the staff talent show. Jamaica defiantly has a lot of talented people. The steel drum band and the dancers were also fantastic!

Activities: You defiantly never run out of things to do at this resort! All of the activities at the beach were a lot of fun except the aqua trikes. The bike barely moved when we were peddling. We only made it out about 30 feet and decided to come back in. I'm not sure if the bike just wasn't greased in a while or what but it wasn't the relaxing experience were were expecting.

Excursions: We only went on one excursion during our stay. We decided to do the catamaran ride that took you snorkeling and to Dunn's River Falls. This was the BEST part of our stay! The boat ride was beautiful, and the snorkeling was amazing. We saw different types of fish, sea urchins, coral, and even a few sand dollars being formed. The fall's were also a lot of fun. The catamaran ride back to the resort was defiantly a party! I defiantly feel like this excursion was worth the extra money!

Gift Shop: The gift shop had everything that we wanted to get for souvenirs. They even had a beautiful hand made photo album that I bought to display all of our pictures. Just a heads up the Trading Post on the sea side is a lot less expensive that the gift shop on the hill side.

Be prepared for some crazy drivers. Their saying is "We only drive fast, everything else we do slow". That being said all of the service in the resort can be quite slow.

Overall we had a wonderful time in the resort. We left very happy and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you want to be close to all the restaurants and ocean stay on the sea side, if you want to be a l...
4 Thank keelyrose
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

15 restaurants; all poor. Frozen fish in the Carib? Frequently cold and almost always more what you'd expect of fast food. Things were broken in the room and in spite of repeated requests never got finished. 1/2 of the tennis courts not usable. The staff were pleasant. Would have been acceptable if 3 star and half the price. Very disappointing!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Sandals Grande Riviera.
We regret to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations. Because of that, please accept my apologies. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments for immediate evaluation and action as needed. Our response to feedback continues to be in word and deed. We hope that you would afford us an opportunity to demonstrate the same.
essex
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We married at this resort in 2010 and decided to use our sandal select points to return.
We stayed on the manor side with butlers, Shannea and Denton.
They were both very good, knowing just the right amount of service we required.
They were attentive and not intrusive at all.
I think we got to try all the restaurants and never had a bad meal.
My favourite restaurants were Valentinos, sabrinas, The manor and Soy.
We spent most of our time on the beach by the beach club and the nights at Ethel's piano bar also on the beach side.
Martin gave great service at Ethel's.
It was no hassle getting from one side to the other.
Wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Some butler rooms are just a bedroom, go for a suite with the separate lounge they are much nicer.
1 Thank Keeleyh1902
#8 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
#1 of 1 in White House

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!