“Love this place”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is our second time to go to this resort. We LOVED the employees here and that is what brought us back! They are so helpful and want to cater to you, making sure you are happy with everything you want or need. They go above and beyond. We like that all of their water sports are included, they have lots of excursions to choose from if you want to do them, and if you want to just relax, then have at it!

When you arrive at the airport and go through customs, right when you pass through the door they have Sandals reps waiting for you to show you right where to go and welcome you. You can go into their free suit and use the restrooms, get a drink and relax while they take your bags and you wait for your bus to leave. We waited maybe 15 min. by the time we got a drink and used the restroom it was time to leave. It is an hour and half ride, but the scenery is neat to see and learn about the island. You also get to spend time with the others going to the resort and get their story on why they are there and maybe what they are celebrating.

Once you arrive, they again have people right there to greet you, give you a clean wash cloth to wipe your hands and neck and feel refreshed. They take your bags to your room for you and then you check in. Gerard was so welcoming and remembered us from last time and took care of us the whole time, making sure we had anything we needed.

I would plan your excursions before you get there or the first day so you know what your time looks like. Also talk to the visitors on the resort and see if they did any excursions and see what they liked or didn't like.

The food wasn't spectacular, but it was good. We loved the breakfast food, lunch food, and the late night food available. The dinners weren't the best, but they were good! Service as always, AMAZING. Now you have to remember you are on island time and they arent in a hurry, so relax and enjoy your dinners.

They always have events going on you can participate in, if you choose. Fun, entertaining, great music, and again wonderful employees that make your stay the best.
Lots to do...they have plenty of on site events that are free, and then if you choose to go off site to special excursions they have those too.

The first trip we stayed on the village side (the side without the beach) and we didn't like being away from everything and we moved after 2 days to the ocean side. So this time, we knew where we wanted to be-OCEAN SIDE! I can get a pool at home, so I want the BEACH. Really any of these rooms over here (beach side) are great, it's a very short walk to anything on the side you are on. And how much time do you really stay in your room? They do have shuttles going like every 5 min to each side, so the transfer is very easy going side to side. On the village side, you did hav a hill you have to wlak to get up to your room, although they do have little carts/shuttles that run but we hated to wait on them and ended up making the hike up and down the hill. So for that reason we liked the beach side to stay on the best.

I would definately reccomend the couples massage on the beach/boardwalk in the huts! OMG, there is nothing like it. We have had massages all around the world and nothing compares to hearing the ocean while getting a massage. We did this both trips.

Within the last 3 years they have done like 35-42 million dollars in renovations and adding on to the resort and it was incredible what they did. LOVED IT.

The excursiosn we did...last time we did the booze cruize-FUN! it was about 4 hours I think. They took us snorkling for 30 min, then traveled on to the Dunges River Falls, climbed the Falls, then had snacks and drank on the way back, very exciting, entertaining, they have loud music going (but not too loud), etc. This trip we did the sky ride, bob sled, and zip lining. Sky ride was beautiful to see the island from that far up, the bob sled was like a roller coaster-we enjoyed it, and the zip lining wasn't very long-like 4-5 lines and then a free fall. I am afraid of heights and I did it :)

They have a couple of areas of beach, one that is under some trees and its a nice area to get a book when you have had too much sun and relax by the ocean. Then there is a middle part that is an enclosed beach, again calm, no waves, a lilly pad you can swim out to and lay out, relaxing. Then the new beach area that also has a lilly pad to lay out on, you did feel the waves here, great chairs to lay out on, but the beach going int ot he ocean is rocky. that is one thing I didn' tlike aobut this beach area, although we hit this beach everytime! This beach area was also very close to the fun swim up bar pool and you can hear the music from the pool at the beach. What I love about Sandals is that they have servers everywhere to bring you drinks and food no matter where you are: beach, pool, etc. A special thanks to Shawnna, Otis, Ramon, Deno, Jason, Serome, Kevon, Demar, Anita, Alex at the pool bar, etc for spectacular service!

I can't say it enough, I LOVE the employees, that fully give it 1000% all the time and never complain! We stayed in contact with some of them via Facebook and the employees that were still there from 4 years ago (from our first trip) remembered us and welcomed us and very thankful for us ocming back! I know it is a NO TIPPING place, but we can't help to give a few dollars here and there to the ones that give so much and work so hard. We felt what is $10 a day to us, when it is SOO much to them. What we did is got $80 in ones and loved to bless some of the workers that went above and beyond for us by giving $10-12 a day, here and there by leaving $2 to each person that went above and beyond that day for us. Again, this is NOT expected and we did it on the DL b/c we didn't want the employees to get in trouble for us wanting to bless them.

We did one of the water sports this time, sailing. My husband and I weren't comfortable doing it on our own, so Roger one of the beach life guards took us out and it was incredible! He did an amazing job and really made sure our day on the beach (which was everyday) was a great experience.

I would definately go back and recomend this Sandals.

Room Tip: If you want to be secluded and away from everything-meaning a quieter area, choose the village side...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Jettawayj
Write a ReviewReviews (8,858)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I was lucky enough to get to stay at the Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios for work in May 2014 for 3 nights. The staff was excellent. I know the Sandals brand trains its employees well. Patrico Henry helped me to my room and hunted down my bag for me when it got lost; he was the best! I saw a few weddings take place, and it is a beautiful choice for a destination wedding. I would love to go back to a Sandals resort one day with a significant other.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank wander_lustt_sc
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Everyting Irie Mon!!! This was one the best experiences I have ever had on vacation. The resort was beautiful, the people we magnificent and the amenities were second to none. Our butlers Damien and Analisa went above and beyond the call of duty. They were ready available for anything we asked of them. I would recommend this resort to anyone that asked about Sandals. We are planning our return trip on 2017.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ken G
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed at Sandals for 5 nights and we had a great time! The atmosphere and people are great! We will definitely be back! We also went on a few activities (1) Chukka Bob Marley Island Routes Zion Bus Line (2) Heritage Horseback (3) Chukka Catamaran w/ Lunch. All the activities were great! We stayed in the Honeymoon Hideaway Luxury Club Level Villa Room, good view and close to all restaurants and activities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Iliana V
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed at the Sandals Grande Riviera from May15th-22nd for our wedding.

You can read the details below but the summary in a few words is: These Folks KNOW how to do Weddings AND cater to their guests--Period!!

Before the details I have to mention these folks who made the stay at the Grande one of the most enjoyable vacations that we've taken to date:

Nina Samuels, Kamesha Dennisur and La_Toya Brooks of the wedding department were consistently top notch, super professional and just sooo pleasant to work with in the planning and coordination of our wedding. In response to our questions or tweaks in the customization of our wedding we constantly heard from them one of these phrases: "Notta Problem" "Yeah Mon" or "That's Nooo Problem Mon"

As a reflection of their personalities, we were frequently left with the experience of dealing with friends versus just completing a business transaction.

We don’t know if weddings of 65 guests, most flying in from the US, are small, medium or big for them but they handled everything with a flow that appeared seamless. On the day of, our guests were moved from ceremony, cocktails and reception with each area fully set up, prepped and waiting for them--nice! Kamesha--the mento band was a great suggestion and appreciated by our guests at cocktail--thanks for that.

Everyone from the photographers (Shadane Brown and Valin Barriffe of SnapShots) to the wedding chauffeur Ismael Henry-(who we'd met previously on our site visit) were part of our enjoyable experience. All just genuine in their friendliness and willingness to provide. They often say your wedding day is a blurr but for us it was all the little details they had taken care of that had it turn out as wonderful as it did.

My family, guests and wife were very pleased and to start a new life with a happy wife--well you know the rest :-)

Butler service--as Nike says "Just Do it" Yes it’s a cost but we are sooo happy that we did. Denton Christie And Shannea Sterling--these two were also great in their service and most importantly for me, their attitudes. Denton I hope you get to read this one day, but we wanted to give you a special thank you!! Your demeanor, professionalism and commitment to us was really felt and appreciated by my wife and I. Shannea, dinner from across the way, on the night of that massive rain fall and with a smile! You rock!

Don’t want to spoil it for others but the special little niceties you both provided in our rooms left us jaw dropped like kids at Christmas. Well done to you both and Sandals for those extras.

Overall our stay at Sandals Grande was amazing, my cousins have already posted their pictures on FB with their butler. since I'm currently writing this from Hawaii and my wife just said that she'd love to go back to Sandals, I guess that says a lot.

So what could have been improved?

Our guests did report back that they had failures around getting in contact, leaving messages/emails and having calls returned from members of the Pre-Travel wedding group--what ever system that's set up to handle this part needs some tweaking.

Based on the amount of rooms booked, we earned "complimentary" massages, pedi's etc. please let guests know more clearly that there is a service charge added to each of these free services. Not noticing the fine print is on us, but making it clear and bold up front at time of service as a reminder would be appreciated.

Overall, if you are interested in a vacation where hospitality (& service), great sleep (& service), good food (& service), exciting excursions with entertaining shows and sites on the premises is your kind of thing, then this resort is definitely for you.

And if we didnt mention the service :-) especailly from the butlers were topped notched. Our family/friends all had the same consenus with that regard.

From a scale of 1-10, this particular vacation felt like a 12.

Room Tip: Butler rooms are in a secluded area and away from most things but definitely worth the price if you...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Clive T
Reviewed 8 July 2014

YEAH MON! No Worries! No Problems!

We just got back from our 3rd trip to the Grande Riviera Resort and as before can't wait to go back again! Lisa with Beach Bum Vacations does an amazing job taking care of all our reservations and arrangements for our Sandals trips. She does her best to make it a hassle free experience, and all 3 trips to the Grande Riviera have been just that. We will definitely continue to go with Lisa for our vacation planning.

At the Resort just sit back, Relax and Enjoy. You will be greeted at the Resort as soon as you get off the bus and taken care of and waited on until you leave. Everyone was extremely friendly and remembers our names while we are there. We even seen some of the playmakers that remembered us from our trip 2 years ago. There is never a dull moment. Jamaicans know how to have a good time. The drinks are endless and the food is very good, there is a little bit of everything for everyone. If you do not have something just ask and they will do their best to accommodate and make sure you are taken care of. There are even employees that walk the beach asking if you are OK and bringing endless drinks while you just sit and relax. You can be as involved in and find something to do from Sun up to Sundown, or do nothing but Sit and Relax, it’s your choice.

We like the beach, so we stay on the Beach side, The rooms are nice and very clean, nothing fancy but they have everything you need. They even have a stocked refrigerator with cold drinks and liquor cabinet in the room. Ocean view is the wife’s preference so ocean view it is, I myself could have stayed in a lounge chair on the beach and been OK since that is where you can find me most of the time anyway. The Mountain side or Manor side has a lot to do also, just no sand. A shuttle comes every 5 minutes and you can go back and forth as much as you want for events, to swim or for dinner. We just like the beach.

The Catamaran Excursions are a MUST. The ride is awesome and the crew is very entertaining. We did the Dunn’s River Falls excursion on our last trip, the waterfall was beautiful and the ride on the catamaran was amazing. You can snorkel right over a reef halfway along before arriving at the Falls. We just did an evening excursion this time, but either one you choose be ready for a party. As with everywhere else on the resort the drinks are endless and they set up a buffet of appetizers and snacks on both trips. We have gone on the River Tube Ride, and my brother and his wife went on the Zipline and Bob Sled adventure this last time. We had a great time with all of them.

I see and have read some negative comments and complaints and realize you can’t make everyone Happy. But If you want to experience an all-around good time you can’t go wrong in my opinion and will not be disappointed with Sandals Grande Riviera employee’s effort to make sure you are taken care of and have a good time.

Room Tip: As stated we really liked overlooking the beach. But then again we really did not spend a lot of tim...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
24  Thank Kent S
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We went for our honeymoon for 10 days. We stayed in a butler village 1BR suite and it was very nice accommodations. The butlers are amazing esp. Oshane and Jermaine who were our butlers, they give you a cell phone to call them so whatever you need they are there promptly. Sometimes we didnt even have to call they got to know us and knew what time and what we liked for lunch. Also knew what time our dinners were and made sure they were there to pick us to head to the restaurant. You can make your stay a relaxing one by staying in your private pool shared by only 3 other rooms (but usually its just your private pool) or you can go to the great house pool and play games. There are also many other pools throughout the resort that will fit any personality. The restaurants are all different cuisines so you have choices and there is a grill that is open basically 24/7. People may think there is not enough to do on one resort, but they are wrong. They have events in the evening and many activities throughout the day. We also took a trip to duns river on the catamaran cruise, and I highly recommend that excursion. My new husband and I met some great friends there and will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#6 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!