“Not a Wedding Resort!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Elmvale, Canada
“Not a Wedding Resort!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Wow where do I start! TERRIBLE service from the moment we arrived. Suggested by my travel Agent Angela at Jetset Trave. (will never use her again) Half the wedding party was spilt up and put at the beach side which is not walking distance, you take a shuttle bus back n forth. Food portions are VERY small, not accommodating at all, only time we all got to sit together was wedding reception. Pool is dirty, no room service, rooms are very small! Wifi was $14 a day or $45 for the week, never have I ever had to pay for wifi on a all inclusive vacation. I DO NOT reccomend Sandals for a wedding or even a vacation, WAY over priced. Will never go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Toddia V
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Ochi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Toddia,
We are truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us and it was very disheartening to know you left with an unsavory impression of the resort. Guest satisfaction is our #1 priority, and we are never pleased to note that a guest returned home not completely happy with their visit Thank you for your review and notifying us of your concerns. We highly regard your feedback, as this is the means by which we are able to amend any possible shortcomings in our vacation package. If you have any further concerns you with to share with us, please do not hesitate contact our Customer Care Team by email at customerservice@grp.sandals.com.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,451)
Whitehall, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Sandals Grande Riveria, was such an amazing trip! Everyone was so nice at the resort. My husband and I did not have one bad meal the whole week. Moria and Suzie were our butlers for the week and they were Wonderful! We already booked our next there and requested the same butlers!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet getaway stay on the manor side. The beach side is more for the party...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, Teresa!
We loved hearing about your fantastic vacation experience at Sandals Grande Riviera and we are so happy that our staff made sure that all of your expectations were exceeded! It was our pleasure hosting your vacation in beautiful Jamaica and we cannot wait to welcome you back again!
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Wow! We visited Sandals Grande Riviera with 2 other couples for 6 nights and stayed in the Butler Suites up on the hill with the semi-private pools. The butlers Tasha and Ricardo were one of the bright spots of the whole trip. They were always doing what they could to make our stay enjoyable. Since we were a group, we had them our whole stay, and they were 1st class in every way!! They provided us with a cell phone to call them for anything. We didn't bother them much, but they were always willing to help if we needed it. Where to start, we did many things as we're active couples who like to explore and do some tours, so we signed up for scuba and dived twice while we were there. Richie was our instructor and was prob the best instructor for scuba I've ever sat through a class as my wife and I had scuba'd many times, but we had a couple of new divers, and he was very informative and made sure everyone was comfortable. We also took advantage of the golf at Sandals, and the course was overall in decent shape. For you golfers out there, SLOW, SLOW greens compared to home courses, so that was hard to get used to. My only complaint about the golf was the caddy. Just fyi, I would bring a umbrella, because if it rains, they have an umbrella for themselves, but your kinda on your own?!?!? I expected they might let us have the umbrella, but I guess not the typical caddy you might expect. My playing partners was better than mine, but overall that was somewhat disappointing when your getting soaked in the rain and your caddy is sitting there dry, but otherwise enjoyed our time on the course. The green fees were included so you only paid like $20 for the caddy and then a tip each time you played. The resort was nice, very spread out as several of the reviews have mentioned. While I wouldn't say it was a problem, it just required a bit more planning that I wanted on vacation getting to the beach, etc. We found a driver we named "speedy" because he drove like he owned it!!! Most everyone was very nice, the water sports people down at the beach weren't the nicest, seemed like you were bothering them if you wanted to kayak or paddleboat, etc. One MUST do is taking the boat trip/snorkel to Dunn's River Falls and then booze cruise on the way back! That was the highlight of the trip if you like music on a boat, and partying, make sure you do that, you will not come back sober!! LOL! The falls were alright, not as challenging as I thought in my mind, but the boat trip back will be forever remembered. I would recommend doing this early in your stay like 2nd day you get there, because you meet a lot of couples cause everyone is nice and relaxed and enjoying the cruise, so everyone is more than friendly. We saw a lot of the same couples the rest of the trip, making me wish we wouldn't have waited til the end part of our trip. Food was overall very good! Breakfast is the buffet style, but has omelet making options, fresh food, and indoor/outdoor options depending what your looking for. Our favorite restaurants for dinner go as follows. 1. Bayside Grill (surf and turf) 2. Kelly's Boatside (butler rooms only I believe), 3. Soy (sushi), we went there every night before hand just to have sushi as appetizer and then went to dinner at other restaurant, but it was fantastic sushi! All the little restaurants by the pools were fine for a good, quick lunch. Overall, this was a great resort, it had plenty to do, it had plenty of positives, just enough little issues where I can't quite give it a 5*, but definitely a great time had by all! Would recommend it!!

Cleanliness
6 Thank Tehl K
Hello Tehl,
Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you had a great time at Sandals Grande Riviera and that you really enjoyed your time in Jamaica. We understand that you had a few concerns about your stay and the resort management team will look into those matters immediately. We are committed to providing our guests with the best vacation experience possible and realize this can only be achieved by continuously making improvements to our service. We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better time in the near future!
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is our second time to go to this resort. We LOVED the employees here and that is what brought us back! They are so helpful and want to cater to you, making sure you are happy with everything you want or need. They go above and beyond. We like that all of their water sports are included, they have lots of excursions to choose from if you want to do them, and if you want to just relax, then have at it!

When you arrive at the airport and go through customs, right when you pass through the door they have Sandals reps waiting for you to show you right where to go and welcome you. You can go into their free suit and use the restrooms, get a drink and relax while they take your bags and you wait for your bus to leave. We waited maybe 15 min. by the time we got a drink and used the restroom it was time to leave. It is an hour and half ride, but the scenery is neat to see and learn about the island. You also get to spend time with the others going to the resort and get their story on why they are there and maybe what they are celebrating.

Once you arrive, they again have people right there to greet you, give you a clean wash cloth to wipe your hands and neck and feel refreshed. They take your bags to your room for you and then you check in. Gerard was so welcoming and remembered us from last time and took care of us the whole time, making sure we had anything we needed.

I would plan your excursions before you get there or the first day so you know what your time looks like. Also talk to the visitors on the resort and see if they did any excursions and see what they liked or didn't like.

The food wasn't spectacular, but it was good. We loved the breakfast food, lunch food, and the late night food available. The dinners weren't the best, but they were good! Service as always, AMAZING. Now you have to remember you are on island time and they arent in a hurry, so relax and enjoy your dinners.

They always have events going on you can participate in, if you choose. Fun, entertaining, great music, and again wonderful employees that make your stay the best.
Lots to do...they have plenty of on site events that are free, and then if you choose to go off site to special excursions they have those too.

The first trip we stayed on the village side (the side without the beach) and we didn't like being away from everything and we moved after 2 days to the ocean side. So this time, we knew where we wanted to be-OCEAN SIDE! I can get a pool at home, so I want the BEACH. Really any of these rooms over here (beach side) are great, it's a very short walk to anything on the side you are on. And how much time do you really stay in your room? They do have shuttles going like every 5 min to each side, so the transfer is very easy going side to side. On the village side, you did hav a hill you have to wlak to get up to your room, although they do have little carts/shuttles that run but we hated to wait on them and ended up making the hike up and down the hill. So for that reason we liked the beach side to stay on the best.

I would definately reccomend the couples massage on the beach/boardwalk in the huts! OMG, there is nothing like it. We have had massages all around the world and nothing compares to hearing the ocean while getting a massage. We did this both trips.

Within the last 3 years they have done like 35-42 million dollars in renovations and adding on to the resort and it was incredible what they did. LOVED IT.

The excursiosn we did...last time we did the booze cruize-FUN! it was about 4 hours I think. They took us snorkling for 30 min, then traveled on to the Dunges River Falls, climbed the Falls, then had snacks and drank on the way back, very exciting, entertaining, they have loud music going (but not too loud), etc. This trip we did the sky ride, bob sled, and zip lining. Sky ride was beautiful to see the island from that far up, the bob sled was like a roller coaster-we enjoyed it, and the zip lining wasn't very long-like 4-5 lines and then a free fall. I am afraid of heights and I did it :)

They have a couple of areas of beach, one that is under some trees and its a nice area to get a book when you have had too much sun and relax by the ocean. Then there is a middle part that is an enclosed beach, again calm, no waves, a lilly pad you can swim out to and lay out, relaxing. Then the new beach area that also has a lilly pad to lay out on, you did feel the waves here, great chairs to lay out on, but the beach going int ot he ocean is rocky. that is one thing I didn' tlike aobut this beach area, although we hit this beach everytime! This beach area was also very close to the fun swim up bar pool and you can hear the music from the pool at the beach. What I love about Sandals is that they have servers everywhere to bring you drinks and food no matter where you are: beach, pool, etc. A special thanks to Shawnna, Otis, Ramon, Deno, Jason, Serome, Kevon, Demar, Anita, Alex at the pool bar, etc for spectacular service!

I can't say it enough, I LOVE the employees, that fully give it 1000% all the time and never complain! We stayed in contact with some of them via Facebook and the employees that were still there from 4 years ago (from our first trip) remembered us and welcomed us and very thankful for us ocming back! I know it is a NO TIPPING place, but we can't help to give a few dollars here and there to the ones that give so much and work so hard. We felt what is $10 a day to us, when it is SOO much to them. What we did is got $80 in ones and loved to bless some of the workers that went above and beyond for us by giving $10-12 a day, here and there by leaving $2 to each person that went above and beyond that day for us. Again, this is NOT expected and we did it on the DL b/c we didn't want the employees to get in trouble for us wanting to bless them.

We did one of the water sports this time, sailing. My husband and I weren't comfortable doing it on our own, so Roger one of the beach life guards took us out and it was incredible! He did an amazing job and really made sure our day on the beach (which was everyday) was a great experience.

I would definately go back and recomend this Sandals.

Room Tip: If you want to be secluded and away from everything-meaning a quieter area, choose the village side...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Jettawayj
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I was lucky enough to get to stay at the Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios for work in May 2014 for 3 nights. The staff was excellent. I know the Sandals brand trains its employees well. Patrico Henry helped me to my room and hunted down my bag for me when it got lost; he was the best! I saw a few weddings take place, and it is a beautiful choice for a destination wedding. I would love to go back to a Sandals resort one day with a significant other.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank wander_lustt_sc
Somerdale, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Everyting Irie Mon!!! This was one the best experiences I have ever had on vacation. The resort was beautiful, the people we magnificent and the amenities were second to none. Our butlers Damien and Analisa went above and beyond the call of duty. They were ready available for anything we asked of them. I would recommend this resort to anyone that asked about Sandals. We are planning our return trip on 2017.

1 Thank Ken G
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed at Sandals for 5 nights and we had a great time! The atmosphere and people are great! We will definitely be back! We also went on a few activities (1) Chukka Bob Marley Island Routes Zion Bus Line (2) Heritage Horseback (3) Chukka Catamaran w/ Lunch. All the activities were great! We stayed in the Honeymoon Hideaway Luxury Club Level Villa Room, good view and close to all restaurants and activities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,154 reviews

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!