Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
US$198
Reggae Hostel Ocho Rios(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$63
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
US$83
US$71
Hibiscus Lodge Hotel(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$138
Chrisanns Beach Resort(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$86
Jamaica Inn(Ocho Rios)
US$454
US$424
9,149 results
All reviewsmanor sideriviera sidereef terracebutler villagebutler servicemanor housekelly's docksidemanor poolgreat housesouthern tablesemi private poolle gourmandpolo loungerabbit holeclub levelour honeymoonriviera building
Reviewed 16 November 2009

Spent our honeymoon here from November 9 through November 12. We were married in Negril at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay on November 7, 2009 with tons of friends and family there to share many moments with. My review might be bias to the Riu resort because of the 5 days of non-stop fun we had there so take that into account but here is how I would describe Sandals Grande:

Between both the Riviera and the Manor, we felt the grounds were just so populated and massive. After seemingly having a resort to ourselves in Negril, Sandals was overwhelming with couples. I was unimpressed with the beach. It has little pockets of nice sand but there are too many water sport activities that the resort tries to cram into these spots. Go early to get a chair to lay out.

The food is awesome and the way they do the first come first serve dinner reservations is a neat concept. We ate at both Italian retaurants and they were great. The "Arizona" is a Southwest themed restaurant and I heard the food is ok. It is right on the boardwalk and looks out to the ocean at sunset which is rad.

I beg you to stay away from the Bayside cafe if at all possible. The food is good but it seems that the service there is just bad. You have to wait to be seated when tables are every where and even to get coffee can take quite a while. I hate saying this but compared to all the great service Sandals has, the service at this one spot is noticeabley sub-par.

I will tell you that after having a destination wedding and non-stop partying, by the time we got to "Ochi" (as the locals refer), we were worn out. A lot of couples we met did the "booze cruise" on the red Sandals ship which is an all day event including food and a trip to the falls. We did not do this but regret not. $90 a person.

All watersports are included at no extra charge which is cool. Talk to "Sticky" on the watersports staff. He knows what's up. Also, please snorkle. It is always cool.

This resort does not encourage tipping and is stingy with breaking big bills so PLEASE bring dollar bills if you feel inclined.

The Sports Bar on the Riviera side is really cool and we spent a lot fo time there. Shericka is a great bartender and make sure you meet my boy Omar.

At the swim up pool bars, Charmaine, Venroy, Dajohn, and Erron will hook it up and I beg anyone to ask them about, "Scaramoochie" and get a "Bob Marley" shot to drink. They'll instantly know and will have a riot.

I totally recommend the spa and couples massage as my wife and I did it and it was great. Very relaxing which is what we needed.

Please, take my advice and enjoy yourself here. Jamaican people are awesome and as you can see from my review, I met a lot of staff and they are very perceptive if you are nice and respectful, they will take care of you.

E-mail me if you have any further questions.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zgrez
Reviewed 15 November 2009

My husband and I stayed at SGOR with 4 other couples for my sister's wedding. We stayed 4 nights and got enough of a taste of Jamaica that we want to come back.

I've read these reviews and don't remember anything about how stinky the waiting area is at the airport. It was musty, dank and in dire need of some air freshener. The rush to get us to an air conditioned bus and then a 45 min. wait for the next two flights to arrive is ridiculous. But once on the road (knew in advance about the 2 hr bus ride), we were all happy to be on our way. The stop at the roadside food/souvenir place? Personally we were happy for it. As there was not much to eat at the airport, I was starved by then and was happy to get a Jamaican beef patty!

During the drive to/from the resort, you will see considerable evidence of poverty, and you may feel guilty heading to a swanky vacation. One thing we found notable was the strong emphasis on education. It appeared that they attend school until almost 5pm! We saw a large exodus of crisply uniformed children coming down the hill from the school, books in hand.

Although tips are supposed to be included, we often gave gratuities when we felt service warranted it. Having seen the poverty, we couldn't just ignore our chances to potentially help someone. I will say, I NEVER ONCE had anyone ask or presume to receive a $20 tip. I never saw a hand sticking out, waiting for money.

Group check-in could've been a bit less hectic, and quicker, but I didn't mind too much with my glass of champagne in hand and my cold washcloth to cool me down. Once at our rooms, our party had to make a couple of changes. The bungalos on the Riviera side really need to be aired out (maybe run the A/C a little?) and freshened up in time for guests. Musty/stinky was the common complaint. Our room was pretty bad but once the A/C started, it wasn't too bad. Maybe we got used to it. It's not like we spent much time in the room.

I agree with reviewers saying these the bathrooms need a facelift. The paint job was dingy and there were places where wood had pits and dings. Some wood putty would've covered that. A fresh coat of paint would do wonders. Our shower had been extended to put a shelf between it and the wall, and the curtain was traditional sized, so each time you showered, there was at least 4" of open space.

We ate all of our breakfasts at Bayside, just because it was convenient and, I think, the only thing open on the Riviera side. But that was fine. The food was plentiful and good. The servers were courteous and helpful, though they didn't go out of their way to anticipate needs. They mostly responded to requests. We found the crows, who loved to steal Splenda packets, amusing. Fortunately none 'dive bombed' anyone in our party. Because of flies buzzing around the open food offerings at the buffet, I stuck with yogurt containers and anything served covered at the steam tables.

Valentino's food was wonderful, though portions pretty small. <that was good, we saved room for dessert!> Our service was incredibly slow and often inattentive. Orchids was the opposite, service was very quick and attentive (of course we opened the place and it wasn't busy, like Valentino's was when we went). I never got to try Arizona's, Reef Terrace or San Genarro. We enjoyed jerk pork and beef patties at the beachside grill. We traveled to the Dunn's River resort our last night for dinner, and ate at Il Capitano and were duly impressed. Service, food, and ambiance were delightful. We got enough of a look around that we think we'll stay at that resort next time. It is much newer and shows quite a disparity to the condition of SGOR. Maybe some day Sandals will put the same effort into fixing up SGOR to be as nice as Dunn's River.

My husband and I indulged in a couples massage. We had considered the one on the beach but were glad we saved the money and opted for the more intimate one at the spa. The massage therapists we had were wonderful, very skilled at reading our bodies' needs and changing their techniques to meet those needs. My husband is very ticklish and they figured out how to work on him without torturing him.

Across the street from the Riviera side is an open air market (those funny looking blue and gold boxes you pass on your way in) and you can get a lot of the same types of souvenirs offered in the gift shop <and plenty of more authentic ones> and you can actually haggle the prices. We got art work, coffee, coconut shell jewelry, bamboo carved boxes, etc. They take either Jamaican dollars or USD so if you need to use up your Jamaican money, that's a good place to do it!

We were disappointed that Sandals had no organized excursions to the Appleton Rum distillery, a coffee plantation or Rick's in Negril for watching the sunset. We were told we'd have to hire a cab to take us.

Things we liked: the Halloween entertainment, (the Sandals Playmakers and the Silverbirds steel drum orchestra), the 'his and hers' massage, the canopy zip-line excursion, the friendliness of the staff (they always said "hello" when you'd see them on property), the swim up bars, Jamaican Smile drinks, the attention they give to brides/grooms being married on property, snorkeling, availability of beach chairs and towels, shopping at the open air market, mimosas for breakfast, RedStripe on tap at the airport waiting area, having almost no waits for service at any meal, the FREE daily restocked mini fridge with waters, juice, etc

Things we didn't like: stinky waiting area at airport, stinky room/bathroom, flies at the buffet, the drive up the mountain to get to the zip line excursion, hearing only about 4 Bob Marley songs all weekend, unfairly poor reviews on TripAdvisor, not having more authentic Jamaican food on any menus (goat, oxtail), only having RedStripe available, not knowing in advance which restaurants were closed for which meals, lack of excursions to other parts of Jamaica.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I JUST WANT TO START OFF WITH THE WARNINGS THAT NO ONE TOLD ME BEFORE I WENT: If you go into it thinking that this place is going to look like it does on TV you will be sadly disappointed. My husband and I figured it wouldn't be all it was cracked up to be so we just took everything with a grain of salt. Overall it was a nice place. However, it's not really all inclusive. Yes, the food is paid for and so are the drinks but they do really sneaky things! When we first arrived we had this BIG box in our kitchen with everything from suntan lotion to an underwater camera. At first glance I thought wow! How nice! But then at the very bottom is a small card that lists all of the prices and in very small print explains that it will all be charged to your credit card which BTW we never gave them our credit card because we were never asked for it. If I were you I wouldn't give them your credit card either. You can however give them cash when you want to buy something. For example, if you want to buy something in the gift shop you have to go to the front desk and give them the purchase amount, the front desk gives you a receipt and you in turn give it to the gift shop for whatever you purchased. Yes, its a pain to do that but they don't have my credit card so i felt a lot better about that. I'd read stories about people getting charged outragious amounts for things they didn't do. I can see where they would do things like that because a few days after we had been there our "Box" had some random things missing in it. I had to call the front desk and tell them that we didn't take those and I didn't want to be charged for them. If I hadn't of done that I am not sure what would have happened.

WEDDING/RENEWAL OF VOWS: We had our vows renewed there. We got married at the courthouse in feb. and decided to have a little ceremony at sandals. I must admit it was very nice! Very sweet and the wedding coordinator was wonderful as well as the photographer. The cake was cute and so were my flowers. My only complaints would be 1. they booked our meeting with the coordinator the day we had a tour booked and wanted us to cancel our tour???? uhhh ya sorry but no! (thats what we said haha)
2. At first seemed like we were more of an annoyance because we wanted to reschedule the meeting with the coordinator. We were worried for a while if it was even going to happen.

FOOD/RESTAURANTS:

We ate at just about almost every restaurant that they had there. Here are my thoughts on that.
1. The buffet is ok if you are really hungry but don't expect fine dining with the buffet.
2. The dinner time restaurants are awesome. Our favorite were orchids (awesome asian cuisine (not buffet), the manor restaurant (they had the best service. The food was great too though), Also try Marco Polo at Dunn's River ( you can go there by shuttle from ocho rio grande) they have an awesome surf and turf and the food is great there too. One thing to note about those places is they will try and sell you expensive wine but luckily they dont push it on you. When they hand you a menu there will be a list of prices for wine but don't worry that's only if you want some expensive wine. The Arizona restaurant I thought was awful! I could make better food at home and one of the women there yelled at me for lifting one of the buffet things up wrong?? Sorry but if I'm on vacation there is no reason for me to be yelled at by a staff member over a buffet dish! You pay a lot of money to go there and the least you can expect is some friendlyness

At the Manor Grill and the Beach Club they do have snacks from 11am to 6 pm? Burgers, nachos, and little jamaican snacks that are pretty good.

One thing they don't tell you about the 8 restaurants is they are not all open at the same time so keep that in mind. We also didn 't eat at valentinos but heard from many other couples that it was a glorified olive garden.

HOW THE RESORT IS LAID OUT:
There is the Manor (where you have your villas etc..)
The Riviera
and the Beach Club (that's where the beach is but you can go to the Rivieria and walk a short distance to get to the beach.)
BEACH: The beach my husband did not like because you could only swim in certain parts. That didn't bother me. I liked it because i felt safer. However, I did get stung by a jelly fish while swimming...but that could happen anywhere.

We stayed 7 days personally I thought that was too long and so did my husband. Eventually you do run out of things to do unless you have tons of money and can spend 200 bucks a day on tours which we couldn't.

Also, just to let you guys know sandals is like a compound. They don't really want you to leave but for good reason. It's not in the best area and jamaica over all isn't really a safe country. If you do leave the resort you must sign out or the marshall security guards will hunt you down and make you. There are guys on the beach that try and sell you weed as well as sandals employees. When we first got there the guy who took our luggage up to our room sat it down and asked us if we wanted to buy some. I think we got asked a total of 15 times while we were there. We don't smoke pot but did as teenagers. It was funny at first but after a while you are like ok! Also, if you do go on the shopping tour through sandals be aware of the jamaicans! They will try and get money our of you for ever little thing. Always!!!! set your price first. Other wise they think you owe them all this money. We saw it happen many times. If you don't buy something of theirs they do get very pissed off in some of those little souvenir shops so just keep walking. I would not suggest going on the shopping tour. It's 40 bucks for a couple and a waste of money.

OVERALL: The room was nice, we didn't get our concierge liquor at first like we were supposed to but but he next day we had that, the food was mediocre during the day but pretty good at night, the resort itself was beautiful, however, after a while you do get cabin fever! I would suggest this to a friend but i think that people need to go into it knowing the facts and not expect what sandals commercials promise cause that's just not gonna happen.

OTHER THINGS I FORGOT TO MENTION:
1. There are phones where you can call home using your credit or debit card. It's $6 for the first 1-3 minutes and a dollar for each additional minute.
2. There is no free wi fi. If I remember right it was almost 15 bucks for one day or something. There's also a place to check your email but it's 60cents a minute and we were told by many other guests that it wasn't worth it.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2009

It was my first time in Jamaica & my first time at Sandals and I loved every second of the trip!!! I traveled with my boyfriend and 4 other friends (2 couples). No special reason for going - just needed a break. I never felt stressed the whole trip!! The shuttle ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios is about a 90 minutes, but we had a blast the whole time. The shuttle driver was really funny. When we arrived at Sandals, they had champagne & cold towels waiting. We stayed in the Rivera Deluxe rooms on the beach side of the resort and loved it (this is an upgrade from a basic room). It was in the perfect spot with a balcony and a beautiful view of the gardens. Bathroom was outdated, but I could have cared less. Our room even had a mini fridge that they stocked every day with juice, soda, and water. We really appreciated the water in the morning!! The food was good, better at some restaurants than others. I liked Valentino's the best for the food and Arizona's the best for the atmosphere (the restaurant is on the pier). There are plenty of tours at the resort that you can purchase, but if you want to save money you can always walk off the property and take your own cab. Resort charges about $40 US dollars per person for a shopping tour, or you can take a cab downtown for less than $10. We took our own cabs and I always felt safe. Just flag down your own cab - if the resort calls you a cab they will charge you more money. The only tour we purchased through the resort was ziplining. It was a little pricey but worth the money. The resort pools & beach were always fun. Grab a towel early because they tend to run out. Overall, the vacation was awesome. It was really nice not to have to worry about anything for an entire week. The people were awesome and it was a great value for the money - we paid $1440 US dollars per person including roundtrip airfare from san diego (included the upgraded room and a $250 spa credit).

What I liked best about the trip: the people
What I liked least about the trip: I gained 5 pounds :o)

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
7  Thank Laura0078
Reviewed 13 November 2009

This was our second trip to Sandals Ocho Rios and even more impressive than the last. When they say "Welcome Home" they really mean it and do everything they can to make your stay relaxing and memorable. The staff is the friendliest we have found at any resort we have stayed at. We are now committed to only staying at Sandals when we vacation, nothing else compares to the accomadations and value for your money!! If you are looking for a relaxing and fun filled vacation, stay at Sandals! We will be going back SOON!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple