“Loved this place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Florida
“Loved this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Loved the villa we had it was rented to us by Fred Mc Clurkin , very nice guy and the place was 100% , could not have ask for more...views very just so nice and the place was peacful ...

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank DEVigirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

Fisherman’s Point Resort

The positive: great location; easy walk to center of Ocho Rios & close to major attractions in Ocho Rios.
From the 3rd floor the view of bay is awesome! Watched people come & go from cruise ship. No elevators!

Building 9 where we stayed, the floor plan is great with kitchenette, living & dining area, bedroom & bathroom.

The furnishing is dated. Felt like I walked in my grandmother’s old home! Certainly not what I expected for a 3 star facility. Kitchen counter is old and shabby. Had 2 cheap plastic bowls, a few cup and 1 drinking glass.

Living area, the curtains at the patio door is filthy. It would be so easy to throw the white net curtains in some warm soapy water to clean! The covers of all chair are drab & dirty.
The cover of the faucets in the kitchen & on the wash basin in the bathroom is missing. What’s left is encrusted . Turn the hot water tap on in the bathroom, and water squirts from the cold faucet. The mount for the shower door coming apart so door difficult to slide.

Worst of all, the Baywatch Restaurant & bar on the property, near building 9. Music started blaring from the bar started around 6pm and continued way into the night. We could feel the vibration from the speakers in our room.
Why we stayed? We had prepaid for 3 nights through RCI on the condition that the transaction was is “completely non- refundable, non-changeable, and non-transferable“.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank noproblemSetx

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

If you should go to Jamaica ..stay clear pf Fishermans point resort in Orcho Rios..
the dirtiest and smelly Resort in Jamaica.. Expedia booked my six nights stay with Fishermans point resort.. Upon arrival at the Hotel .. my first impression of the entrance was sickening.. unkept grounds ..the man who helped with my Bags ,very dirty shoes ,clothes, smell .. oh my god.... However against every emotions, that i was felt .. i checked into a room on the ground floor ,,which i was told.. thats the best room ..that they had available..when the gentleman open the door. and i checked the room .. living room no AC,, musty dirty smell.. the Bedroom old wooden twin bed.. dirtty, crumbs on the sheets.. at that moment i immediately decided to check out. from the Fishermas Point Resort. i then called expedia.. to book me at the grand Bahia resort which was a great experience ,,In the meantime expedia could nt find anyone available to discuss the matters of my Refund of six nights @ $169Us a night,, we have called several times .. to the hotel .. No one ..I mean no one,, would speak to me, or expedia,, Shame on you .. Fishermans point Resort..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank patorah1858
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

I made reservations at Fishermans’ Pointe in July 2011, despite being advised against it by my daughter, to stay for four days. Upon arriving at the hotel (word used loosely), I realized that I made a grievous error, but being that I was already there, I surmised, how bad could it really be? Then I found out!!
When I got to my room, (which by the way is on the first floor, next to the road, with a little man acting as both security and gate ((iron bar)) raiser) my question was answered. You walk into a one bedroom style apartment with a kitchenette and refrigerator. In the musty smelling living area there are very antiquated dirty sofas as well as an antiquated television. In the bedroom there was also an antiquated bed that was not fit for one person, not to mention two. The air conditioning in the bedroom was not working properly and there was not air conditioning in the rest of the apartment. The only clean/updated part of the room was the tile floors which seem to have been laid recently.
There was no telephone in the room and the television only had three channels, with poor reception. That was the clincher for me to leave this hotel.
So I went to the make-shift, detached lobby (with liquid stained deep read chairs) to find out why there was no AC or phones and was told that there were no phones in the entire hotel with the exception of one in the lobby. In fact, there was no phone service because it was disconnected back in March.
I used the one working phone in the hotel and called Expedia to inform them that I wanted to change hotels because I was not comfortable with the lack amenities and especially the lack of real securities. While I was on the phone Expedia tried to contact the hotel and, naturally could not get through because I was on the only working phone in the hotel. The receptionist was able to reach the owner using her person cellphone. I talk with the owner and informed her of my decision to leave the hotel citing the problems including the AC and that I wanted a refund. She told me that the living room is not considered a room and therefore should not have AC…she also told me that she would not refund my money because her guest loves her hotel. I informed her that clearly I was not one of those and that I needed a refund. She then told because her hotel (syn) was such a lovely place she could not do that and she was not going to argue with me about the quality of the place. At that point I just knew it was time to go and let Expedia sort out the refund later. I had my daughter find me another hotel in the immediate area, which I went to and enjoyed my four days stay.
If you should ever have to go to Ocho Rios Jamaica, stay clear of the Fishermans’ Pointe…it would probably good for fishermen wanting a day of rest, but definitely not for someone on vacation.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Virginia T
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

Fisherman's Point Resort is definitely not an "all inclusive," but has an excellent location in Ocho Rios. I travel to Jamaica often and have done so for many years. I am usually a solo traveler or travel with a family member. This time, travel was around the time of the Rebel Salute festival, etc. I am not the "all inclusive kinda gal" as I rarely eat in hotels (no matter where they exist). The area has food all over the place, as well as a few grocery stores. There are also street vendors late at night in various locations toward the town square. I have not major complaints about Fisherman's Point. The staff was friendly (at least to me) and did what they could to accomodate me; however, I am not fussy and honestly don't want the "attention." I just want somewhere to place my belongings and to sleep that is relatively safe (I live in DC and don't scare too easily...lol). The security was nice and attentive. The engineering staff worked tirelessly on some issues that were taking place in the area due to the rain, and all was good with the universe. There is a restaurant/bar through the little walkway from the units, and I enjoyed a hype party there one night, which was great because I did not have to take a taxi or walk far. I had no issues with feeling "un safe" and left my things in the room with no problems at all. The door to my condo had several locks, so there would be no entry by any additional key, as there were 2 other bolts in the interior of the living room unit. I also slept with the balcony doors open and stayed on the second floor. So, the only entry would be from spiderman up the balcony ledge...teehee. The one bedroom I stayed in was clean and comfy with nice living room furniture and dining table and chairs. The kitchen was adequate with working stove, refrigerator, etc. and pots, pans and dishes for cooking (however, my plan was not to be cooking food in Jamaica). I went to the grocery store and bought snacks, Guness and Red Stripe (hey...it's Jamaica mon)...and each morning I would catch up with the jelly coconut man over by the beach. I usually stay in Rooms or other hotels along the beach, so I am familiar with this beach area and some of the people who reside there...hard working people willing to show you a bit of Jamaica (just bargain over those prices...it's business ya know). There are taxis nearby the location, so transportation was never a problem; however, I tend to walk a lot and take the local buses, so I spent very little on transportation. There are wonderful attractions all along this corridor...too many to name. I am a nature and garden lover, so I spent a lot of time at Coyaba Gardens and Shaw Park, which is up Fern Gully Road. The Mahoe Falls are breathtaking. I actually found this place far more enjoyable than Dunns River Falls, which is too "touristy" for my taste. There is a lovely museum at Coyaba, which provides a birdseye view of history of the lovely island of Jamaica...what a rich history indeed. Fisherman's Point Beach is also near the resort, and you can go and chill down there with the "rastas" and eat some fresh fish, conch soup or lobster. The bredren down there are chill...nobody bothers you. Or maybe I should say nobody bothers me...lol. The pool was nice. There wasn't a business center, but the lovely front desk staff let me use their computer whenever I wanted (just gotta be nice to ppl...lol). I enjoyed my stay at Fisherman's and would more than likely stay there again...if I'm not on the South Coast, or in Negril, or in Port Antonio, or in Kingston...teehee.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
6 Thank TMommy4
New England, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2011

I've been visiting Fisherman's Point yearly for the past 10 years. Recent negative reviews and talk of a change of management had me nervous prior to my February visit. I am relieved to say that everything was fine and that I did notice an increase in security around the property this visit. It seemed at the time I visited that the new management is making an effort to address recent issues. For example, the roof terrace above our units was locked off. We were told we could have it opened for a time to enjoy, but didn't bother.

Things were somewhat quiet at Fisherman's. We had drinks at the restaurant(can't recall the name just now) and the atmosphere was relaxing and inviting. The pool area was nice and clean. The two 1 bedroom units we had were both all around clean and nice. We didn't spend much time around the front desk, but were happy with the efficient interactions we had with staff there and elsewhere on the property. No complaints at all. I will definitely return to Fisherman's in the future.

Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ms.L
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2011

Tips: STOP reading online horror stories~ go with a positive attitude and you'll have a great time! This hotel is NOTHING like the ones in the states but its a typical Jamacian apartment with wooden slat windows, high ceilings, and a tile floor. (Reminded me of a camping cabin at times.) We spent every morning watching the cruise ships come in from our 3rd floor balcony. Every unit will have a kitchen with a couple pans, plates, silverware... I would recommend bringing a few extra bowls, spoons, dish soap, and paper towels if your planning on cooking. There is a grocery store within walking distance (off of main street, I think) PS: there is a Cambio right here too, if you need to exchange.
The tap water at the hotel was safe. We needed a place to lock up our money so we paid the $3 per day to rent the safe key. There was a good/solid safe mounted to the wall in our closet. We didn't have any trouble, no money ever went missing. The grounds (flowers and trees) are extremely well-kept!
If the locals hassle you (and they will, this seems to be a poor country) GO TO THE BEACH! We never got hassled on the beach! Don't bother bringing the paper beach passes, we just flashed the metal tab on our room key ring... worked every time. The water was sparkley clear, we didn't get any bug bites, the sand is lovely. There are two main entrances to the beach.. the one closest to the hotel is RIGHT by the boats... go out through the back gate, through Baywatch restaurant, take a right and walk by the boats closest to the water.
The pool at the hotel was warm and clean~ no salt... nice place.
I didn't notice any all-night loud "party" music everyone complains about... we were RIGHT across the street from the party and slept fine. The bed was a little hard... but not too bad. We had NO BUGS~ no bites.
The hotel arranged a transfer back to the airport for $25 per person. (Wish I would have known, cause we paid $100 for both of us to get to the hotel from the airport) Contact the hotel and arrange this before you get to Jamaica... you'll save some money!
We walked to the falls from the hotel! We got there right when they opened BEFORE the cruise ship crowds!
The Jerk Center (which is also walking distance on De Costa Drive) was AWESOME! We ate there about twice a day. (We never did end up eating at the hotel... they SHOULD put menu's in the room, we probably would have tried it)
The only place that was safe from hasslers was the hotel and beach.
If your looking for PERFECT for the same price, go on a cruise! In my opinion, this place is for adventurous resourceful people, looking for a (cozy) culture-experience.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple