“boring and terrible”

Fisherman's Point Resort
Ranked #30 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 13 April 2012

just back from there, the hotel by itself is ok but service is very bad, they clean room but don't bring clean towels. To get to beach you can only from 9Am to 5PM and you have to take beach pass and pass 2 securities..what is stupid....and if the security in not there (what happened often) you have to walk around from downtown about 10-15 min to get there and you can't swim in the sea as it's shallow and only local children are there. Life is there only when cruises come to the city. I wll never choose Ocho Rios and this hotel for sure. If you would like to stay in Ochi better to chose Sand Castle or Rooms on the beach app. the same price, they have at least direct exit to the beach and restaurant.

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank O V

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I have stayed there twice and i would not stay there again

Good points: Its in the central part of Ocho, near the clubs, beach, restaurants/fast food, supermarkets etc. The 2 male reception staff i have dealt with were both helpful.

Bad points: 1 bed apartment i had to change, the place was full of ants i refused to have my child sleeping in the room. Bedrooms are small and i dont like the fact you have to go into the bedroom to get to the bathroom, if a few of you are staying there thats a little annoying if you are the one sleeping in the bedroom and people will want to use the bathroom. You have to ask for a iron. Certain amenities are not in the kitchen, cups, forks, you may get a microwave. The club opposite you could hear the music/dj loud and clear (thats if you stayed in the apartments infront of the carpark). The food onsite is pricey and taste stale. Oh and the bed matresses felt uncomfortable..felt like i was sleeping on the floor..nightmare

In all nothing really good to say about it, a boring deserted resort. Good thing so many things to do outside of it

Maybe things have improved since i stayed there, but im not gonna chance it again

Room Tip: Maybe renting through a private owner, in these kind of place thats always the best thing to do
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank cherezz
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I decided to give this place a try based on reviews and I wanted to stay outside of the big all-inclusive resorts. Well I wish I had not bothered. The apartment we got was jaded and very noisy because of the proximity of a night club opposite, which I can handle for the price, but it was filthy, which there is no excuse for. We asked to swap it but were told there were no others available. I am still scratching all the bites I have, look like flea bites…
It is a shame that the whole complex is damned. Reading the reviews there seems to be a range of apartment qualities; it would be useful for reviewers to say which they stayed in so only those apartments get the poor reputation. For the record ours was building 13 Apartment 67.
The complex in itself is well located close to shopping, bars and restaurants. Just make sure you get a good apartment, otherwise shop around.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travellingman59
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Spend alot of time in Ochie and decided to stay at the Point for the first time in January 2012. Spent three nights my first visit. My room or should I say apartment was imaculate and every amenity one could ask for was there. A full kitchen, stove, fridge, toaster, dishes, pots and pans etc. Important to me as I cook most of my meals...the hot shower was great and the bed, comfy! Close to Island Village, quick walk for a margarita, and although I rent a car, 5 minute drive to Evitas my fav! The staff was great and managed me a nice room on the second stay, the night before my ride back to the airport, which Junta tours provided and were exactly on time! I recommend Fisherman's Point and will return on my next visit!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank echase50
Reviewed 4 January 2012

my family and i checked into this resort on december 15, 2011 to celebrate my 50th birthday. one of my best friends was in my group. on thursday, december 17, while leaving the pool area, my best friend slipped on freshly painted steps leading from the pool to our room. he severely sprained his hand, hurt his back which resulted in all over body aches.

we immediately one of the hotel's reception staff, tafari, about the fall and requested assistance to find a doctor in nearby ocho rios. we were told by the hotel's manager, miss taylor, that the hotel is not liable for any falls or injuries on the hotel's property and the only assistance she would offer, is to find a doctor for my friend. she said all expenses incurred would have to be paid by my friend. we explained to miss taylor that all we wanted was for the hotel to pay the doctor's fee and that would be the end of our request. miss taylor, the manager of fisherman's point said no. since miss taylor has refused to take any responsibility, we have hired a lawyer in ocho rios to pursue our claim.

other issues with this hotel: security is a joke. there are no checks at the security gate to verify if personS entering the compound are legitimate clients. everyone is free to come and go as they please. while i was staying at the hotel, many clients checked out early because of various negatives. some of which are, water not available in the apartments, families not feeling safe on the compound, access to the beach becomes a hassle since the gate leading to the beach is locked (should be manned 24 hours) and it becomes a nightmare trying to find security to open the gate.

my advice. AVOID FISHERMAN'S POINT. STAY SOME PLACE ELSE.

Room Tip: avoid at all cost.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank eggy f
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I travel the carribean as often as possible. I have never stayed in an all inclusive or 5 star hotel. I prefer the more mom and pop places to the large chain hotels. I travel this way for two reasons; cost and I get a much more feel of the local envirnment. With that being said I found Fishermans Point to be a typical carribean affordable hotel. It is not 5 star by any means but the accomodations and staff could not have been better. I ended up there because me and my family and friends missed our Carnival cruise ship out of Miami (we watched the boat pull out of port without us after car trouble in a remote area-boo Carnival no stars for you!). When our party ended up in Ocho Rios, we initially had arraingments to stay elsewhere. However our wonderful cab driver advised us that our planned hotel was in a bad area of town. He said he knew of a place that was close to the cruise port with 24 hour security in a good area. He showed us both hotels and we took his advice and stayed at FP. We were treated so well by all staff from the front desk to the security guards and even the gift shop. Our accomodations were nice including a bedroom, large bath and great room with a kitchen and living room with cable TV. Plenty of room for all of us on our unexpected Jamaican vacation. The grounds were nicely maintained with a pool and lots of tropical plants. the location of FP is in a great area of Ocho Rios with plenty of things to do ie resteraunts shopping and many tourist activities. We met up with our cruise ship in the port and started that partion of our vacation but we all missed Ocho Rios and the friends we made while staying at Fishermans Point.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank trvlwhnIcan
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Loved the villa we had it was rented to us by Fred Mc Clurkin , very nice guy and the place was 100% , could not have ask for more...views very just so nice and the place was peacful ...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family