“It was okay, but wouldnt do it again”

Fisherman's Point Resort
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
michigan
“It was okay, but wouldnt do it again”
Reviewed 12 November 2008

Well, here i am again posting yet another about Ocho Rios, as i am a frequent traveler to jamaica. I decided to stay at Fishermans after hearing mixed reviews from friends and acquaintances who have also stayed there. I was accompanied by 3 friends, with myself and one friend in one room and the other 2 friends in another room. Upon first entry into the room, it was basic but clean with all new kitchen appliances,and cabinets, there was also a bar like counter with 4 bar stools in our room, which was a 1 bedroom apartment. I must say im not a big complainer but the couch and two chairs in our room were harder than bricks, we had a Tv also that got excellent reception. The adjoined bedroom was cozy and the bed was ok in the way of softness, but the dresser was pretty shabby. I didnt really care much about that, as im not super picky and figuring im not staying in a 5 star resort, most stuff was acceptable, not wonderful but acceptable. The only thing i take issue with is that our bathroom was pretty shabby and kinda gross, the caulking around the tub, wasnt the best to look at, and the bathroom was in need of an upgrade. Also the walls in our bedroom were orange, which was non issue as orange is my favorite color, but they appeared to have been painted by either a 10 year old, or a visually impaired person. Fishermans had a nice pool that me and my friends swam in at night, it was pretty clean and all the people who worked there were super nice. I also ate at the restaurant, which was pretty good as well. The only major issue i had with Fishermans was that our room had ants, and i mentioned it to MGMT who said they would come spray but never did, when i left the resort i was covered in numerous bites, dont know if they were ant bites or mosquito bites, which the room seemed to have a few of as well. Overall, if you go to Jamaica and want to stay someplace affordable and close to town, there are a few others better than Fishermans. Oh yeah, my two friends room was very cute, the furniture was nicer and softer, the appliances werent new and the microwave didnt work, there bedroom which had 2 beds, was really cute, with a nice closet and the bathroom was pretty neat also though they didnt have hot water most of the time. SO i guess, your stay could be a good one or an OK one based off of what room you actually get. I requested a specific room when i booked but someone else got it, that arrived before me, i wasnt too upset.

• Liked — the proximity to the town, Margaritaville, Oceans 11, the beach, restaurants
  • Disliked — the ants, the shabby bathroom and the prison like furniture
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank lilrosey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
london
Reviewed 4 September 2008

i stayed here in 05. it was great, I was disappointed this time. Firstly all my love to Candy and the Manager at the front office. extremely professional and helpful always. Under no circumstances stay in appt6. it is like the dump of the resort. all ground floor appt get little day light and are not secure. after 5 days we moved to appt 62. beautiful with oceanview. well equipped for s/catering.steer clearly of BOBBY the pool guy not very good at his job and often absent.he cleans the pool at odd times and allow kids in the pool when he has just added clorine bleach or while it still being cleaned.he tries to sell you excursions at rip of prices,then gives you attitude if you decline. may I recommend CAPTAIN VINCENT he works on turtle beach. decent,honest and trustworthy guide will take care of your day trips. ask anyone for him on the beach.this hotel provides no beach chairs on the beach so you have to rent them from the lifeguards abit unfair as you will find out. if you need transport mr RAINFORD JOHNSON is attached to this hotel. excellent and has a variety of quality transport and will get you good deals on souvineers (and rum). housekeeping have no set time to call and dont like changing sheets.they only changed the sheets if i stripped the beds. the laundry is poor. no wireless internet no poolside bar and no hotel entertainment kids pool is not great. and play area is unsupervised.resturant is expensive and not very good. food is always bland or burnt. management at resturant show poor customer service and are money grabbers.i wont be staying at fishermans again. mainly because the security let anyone onto the resort. also it is hard to tell the differency between staff and guest. so you're never sure who's knocking at your door.uniforms would help.

• Liked — appt 62 was nice, fresh, modern and lovely to stay in
  • Disliked — House keeping had no set time to call sometimes they didnt attend until after 3pm
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank tytal

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

lodi
Reviewed 13 July 2008

My wife, son and I were not even checked in for 24 hours all our personal belongings were stolen as we slept. The person who showed us our room stayed in our room for over 15 minutes talking. Even though I had my son in my hand and he was crying. We did not leave the hotel. The farthest we went was to get baby food for my son and to find where the restaurant and everything was. We started to plan what we were going to do after we rest; but only to wake up on Saturday and found all of our electronics devices money and personal belonging was gone.
Things we had missing: my laptop, I-pod, Armani watch, camcorder, blackberry cell phone, all our cash and camera were gone, my wife purse with credit cards which they started to use, her green card and her driver license being here was like a nightmare. First, they told us that we were going to get a second floor room then when we got there they stuck us ground floor room number 8 (easy access). The thing that we don’t understand is that they have security on ground, back entrance and front entrance, makes you wonder “hmmmm” and all of this happen on JULY 11 of 2008.
We have chosen this resort because it was the cheapest. Take my foolish advice save your money and go to a real resort. We will continue to update because right now I am stuck in Kingston Jamaica at relatives house broke and not knowing how we are going to get home.

• Liked — getting robbed while sleeping thank god they didn't kill us
  • Disliked — getting robbed while sleeping thank god they didn't kill us
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
12 Thank champhf
saskatoon
Reviewed 9 July 2008

My entire family(about 15 of us) stayed here for the first 2 weeks of January this year, and we had an amazing time. The rooms, while not 5 star were terrific. We had running water, working toilets and a tv ( much to my youngest son's delight).Our rooms were very comfortable. Our housekeeper kept our room extremely clean. The restaurant and bar- Coconuts- was great, the staff were so eager to please each and every one of us. We all had a wonderful time sitting around the bar everynight laughing with Anthony and Mr.G and Courtnay, as well as Kate and the rest of the awesome waitresses. The service was second to none. Smiley the Chef, made our meals just right. This has become our absolute favorite holiday destination and we can't wait to get back in December of this year, or early Jan '09. I just hope DJ Tony will still be blasting his tunes for the tourists bright and early every morning.
will try to add photos later.

Tracy Nolin.
Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada

• Liked — what didn't I like ??? it was all great! the STAFF were amazing
  • Disliked — the pool water could have been a bit warmer :) lol
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank happiness_42
Austin
Reviewed 19 June 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here on our first trip to Jamaica and were less than impressed with the hotel. We were given a room with a twin bed and the pillow (as well as the couch and telephone) was so old and dirty I didn't touch any of them our whole stay and wore flip flops in my room at all times. Luckily my boyfriend and I like to expereince the culture wherever we travel and appreciated Jamaica very much for what it was, a gorgeous little country with hardly no exports except coffee and Red Stripe and thus no money. "Wealthier" locals actually live at Fisherman's Point although it is defintely not a nice property by American standards. I would advise anyone who stays here to ask for a better room if they are unsatisfied. We sucked it up but kind of wish we'd stood up for ourselves more. On the upside, it is a great location for shopping and eating... just an okay location for the beach though because you have to walk a little ways to find an entrance (the beach charges an admittance fee for the locals in this area I think). Basically, if you're into comfort, don't stay here. If you're into immersing yourself in a culture, you might give it a try, mon.

• Liked — The proximity to shops and restaurants
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank joshandnicole
Reviewed 15 May 2008

Our first mistake was using an online travel agent. Never again. We spent 5 days in Ochi and 5 days in Negril over the Christmas holiday. Knowing what I know now, I would of skipped Ocho Rios all together and spent my entire vacation in Negril. The "resort" is old and in need of some up grading. The rooms were circa 1970. Everything was old, uncomfortable, and scratchy. Loud and busy with cruise ship traffic and vendors selling everything. Yes, we were approached by several vendors selling any and everything you can think of, but a polite "no thank you" was all that was needed. I will say that the "resort" staff was very friendly and always greeted us when ever they saw us. We didn't use the pool due to the fact that it was over run by 12-14 yr olds. Spent most of the time on the beach, which was a 1/4 mile walk from the "resort", had one meal at the "resort" restaurant and it was not very good, did the Dunn River Falls (ok, but overrated) and had a good meal at Mama Marley's. Over all, would not stay at Fisherman's Point or visit Ocho Rios again.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SweetPeaAdventures
bronx,ny
Reviewed 29 March 2008

I recently had the pleasure of staying at what i would consider the most reasonably priced beautifully manicured and well run establishments i have experienced since i've come to jamaica.The staff was both beautiful and professsional and they seemed to find no excuses when it came to my comfort.Because of this experience jamaica will continue to be my choice for vacations and fishermans point resort my desired location when in ocho rios. jeffrey jones stayed 03/13/08

• Liked — very comfortable and spacious
  • Disliked — i had to leave