“What you see online is not what you get”

Sand Castles Resort
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Baltimore, Maryland
“What you see online is not what you get”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I would not recommend this so called "resort " to anyone. When I pulled up to the property, I was embarrased to get out of the car. Once I got inside, my suspicions were confirmed. There was no one at the desk to welcome me. I had to search the grounds to find someone. When I finally found a staff member, he did not have any record of my room. I had to present my own room information. I was shown three rooms. I was unhappy with all three. The rooms were very shabby, the bathroom was substandard. Oh, and the lovely pool that is advertised online, well, let's just say insects would not survive in it. The grounds reaked of cat feases, and yes there were cats running everywhere.I had to choose another hotel, as I was concerned about my health as well as my safety. I was much happier at my other hotel. Unhappy traveler 2012

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jazz2012314

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
london
Reviewed 28 April 2012

.The hotel was vey well known .really close to the beach with all shops and bars very near.you can walk everywhere.
has a private car park and very safe. The hotel was not busy and the bar was closed but i dont drink so it didnt bother me, but if u do the liquer is cheap in the supermarket across the road.
This palce is great if u want some peace and quite instead of a loud and busy hotel. This one bed appartment had wifi,tv,music player,nice veiw.smoking area,ac hot water and cozy.This room is private owned room.Jeni gave us a good price so it was cheaper then a hotel.Coming back and staying here.
WE COOKED FOR OURSELF AND HAD A FRIDGE FOR ALL LEFT OVERS. MUSIC SYSTEM WHICH I LINKED UP WITH MY IPHONE. I FORGOT MY PHONE IN THE ROOM AND THE OWNER JUST POSTED IT BACK TO ME. SO LOST NOTHIN AND GAINED A GREAT TIME IN JAMAICA. WILL DEFO COME BACK TO JENI'S APPARTMENT @ SANDCASTLES.

Room Tip: pick the private rooms and not hotel rooms
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank taysharn
West London
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I have stayed here many times, alone or with my 5 year old and other family members. I recommend booking an apartment/studio through an owner not through Sandcastles coz its cheaper, the rooms are much better, microwave, utensils, flat screen, clean, working AC and in general a home from home feel. Yes i know for some of you these things are not important but when your away from home with a child you still need to have certain things at hand (oh yeh and some dont have cable). If u book through sandcastles then the room is basic, u will be lucky if you have a microwave. The pool needs fixing up but my son loves it regardless, everything is central plus the Turtle park directly across the road, the external works needs touching up but the area is kept clean all the time. wifi beside the pool which helped.Staff have always been helpful, everyone has different experiences but trust me i travel to Ja twice a year and Sandcastles has always been my base , i will go visit my family but i keep this place to come back too. Relaxed and friendly environment the only thing is the restaurant wasnt open and usually by the pool sometimes there is a vibe but on this trip in december they didnt have any activities going on

Room Tip: i stayed infront of the carpark, E block which was cool and easier for me after parking up it was a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank cherezz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few times, the restaurant is now closed, but hey recession is everywhere, what I like about this place is I am a single traveller and all the shops and amenities are close by, beach, restaurants and clubs, my appartment was nice and it had cooking facilities, so dont believe the hype give it a try.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Trooper761
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Went there to visit old friends on my last stay in january to Ocho Rios, and was shocked at what I found, Reception had closed down as was the restaruant, bar and everything else, the reception was stripped of furniture, Big TV's and all decor, Rumor was that its going under hard really to understand as last year they started upgrading it, Sad as it used to be a good place to stay, right in the heart of Ocho

Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Janis L
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I would not recommend this resort for no human been this is the dirties hotel i had ever seen , I book a vacation to Jamaica on February 10 ,2012 , with stay at the Sand Castle Resort I book my hotel room @hotel.com , on my arrival at the hotel , standing @ the front desk could not find a guest service agent to check us in , while we were there some one came and ask, are you looking for a room ?" I have a room to rent if you need a room" , this was scary i responded no , i am hear to check in, i have a reservations . The guest agent came and check us in we waited about 30 minutes before someone take us to the room . upon arrival at the room the room has mold and roach it also smell stink , it was not what i paid for on hotel.com i wanted 2beds they were offering one , i refuse to stay in a room in that condition so i ask for a change of room, i was told i cannot get a change of room , because none is available , so i kindly ask to have a refund so i could go some where else . I was ask to wait a few minutes , after waiting a lady and the front desk agent offer me another room but with an option to pay the full price for that room , I was told i have to wait 2-3 weeks to have my money refunded back to me , I refuse that offer . They gave me a change of room with no hot water . I was getting really tired and frustrated not knowing anyone in Ocho Rios so i accept the offer . The next day approximately 12:00 A.M. I heard banging on the door someone telling me i have to leave the room because its a private room and they need their money . I had to pack my stuff and i was given another room that was very dirty and has roach . I was treated like a piece of dirty material , just going from one place to the other . My worst ever experience . This place need to close down, mold and roach can make you sick, even can be deadly , in 2 days i had been in three rooms they all have mold and roach this is not good for your health.

Room Tip: None go some where else
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank MONICA F

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I read some of the reviews.. Oh my! MY experience was much different.

I booked directly from the owner on flipkey.. and lucked out on Studio D11 from the owner. On arrival, It was exactly as I had imagined it based on the pics online. I had no regret!
Great apartment, perhaps one of the very best. It is a studio apartment, and it was suited for me and mine. Cozy, CLEAN, and well maintained.

I build my own trip - that work out to be cost effective to do all the excursions, eating at several restaurants in Ochy.

Honestly, it is not a 5 star resort. But there are some really nice units that are privately owned and well maintained by the owners.

It's a bargain deal, so shop around, I would definitely stay at Studio D11 again.
Chao~