“You get what you pay for...”

Sand Castles Resort
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Stayed here with 4 friends for 6 days for a wedding. Apartment was billed as a penthouse and the pictures they sent us before we booked were nice. But this resort is run down and unloved - chewed up parking lot, nasty pool, stray cats everywhere. Our apartment was neat and clean but dark and dated. The only up to date amenity was our upstairs shower - it was a modern, multi-head deal with phone and radio connections...but nothing worked but the main shower head. This place is fine if you want to save money and don't much care about your room, but for me a nice room is as important as the rest of my vacation experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank PABizTripper

Reviewed 31 May 2012

this hotel is in walking distance to every where in the town of ocho rios, the gardens are well kept and security is very good, the last time i was there in may 2012 the bar or the restaurant was not in operation, so i had to walk out to eat, you can also prepare your own meals most of the suites have a complete kitchen and it is right on the beach with 24 hour security.
the manager is very friendly and helpful, you can rent from private owners or the hotel.
this hotel is kids friendly and a getaway for the whole family.i stayed in this hotel before and they use to have a band playing by the pool nightly, and the restaurant and bar was operating then, the food was very good. this is a hotel where the price is negotiable if you are renting from one of the private owners, it is not 100% now it needs some improvement, but still a very reasonable secured, low budget vacation spot.

Room Tip: rooms to the south are quieter there is party in a parking lot close by some times on weekends to th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nakita j
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I would not recommend this so called "resort " to anyone. When I pulled up to the property, I was embarrased to get out of the car. Once I got inside, my suspicions were confirmed. There was no one at the desk to welcome me. I had to search the grounds to find someone. When I finally found a staff member, he did not have any record of my room. I had to present my own room information. I was shown three rooms. I was unhappy with all three. The rooms were very shabby, the bathroom was substandard. Oh, and the lovely pool that is advertised online, well, let's just say insects would not survive in it. The grounds reaked of cat feases, and yes there were cats running everywhere.I had to choose another hotel, as I was concerned about my health as well as my safety. I was much happier at my other hotel. Unhappy traveler 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Jazz2012314
Reviewed 28 April 2012

.The hotel was vey well known .really close to the beach with all shops and bars very near.you can walk everywhere.
has a private car park and very safe. The hotel was not busy and the bar was closed but i dont drink so it didnt bother me, but if u do the liquer is cheap in the supermarket across the road.
This palce is great if u want some peace and quite instead of a loud and busy hotel. This one bed appartment had wifi,tv,music player,nice veiw.smoking area,ac hot water and cozy.This room is private owned room.Jeni gave us a good price so it was cheaper then a hotel.Coming back and staying here.
WE COOKED FOR OURSELF AND HAD A FRIDGE FOR ALL LEFT OVERS. MUSIC SYSTEM WHICH I LINKED UP WITH MY IPHONE. I FORGOT MY PHONE IN THE ROOM AND THE OWNER JUST POSTED IT BACK TO ME. SO LOST NOTHIN AND GAINED A GREAT TIME IN JAMAICA. WILL DEFO COME BACK TO JENI'S APPARTMENT @ SANDCASTLES.

Room Tip: pick the private rooms and not hotel rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank taysharn
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I have stayed here many times, alone or with my 5 year old and other family members. I recommend booking an apartment/studio through an owner not through Sandcastles coz its cheaper, the rooms are much better, microwave, utensils, flat screen, clean, working AC and in general a home from home feel. Yes i know for some of you these things are not important but when your away from home with a child you still need to have certain things at hand (oh yeh and some dont have cable). If u book through sandcastles then the room is basic, u will be lucky if you have a microwave. The pool needs fixing up but my son loves it regardless, everything is central plus the Turtle park directly across the road, the external works needs touching up but the area is kept clean all the time. wifi beside the pool which helped.Staff have always been helpful, everyone has different experiences but trust me i travel to Ja twice a year and Sandcastles has always been my base , i will go visit my family but i keep this place to come back too. Relaxed and friendly environment the only thing is the restaurant wasnt open and usually by the pool sometimes there is a vibe but on this trip in december they didnt have any activities going on

Room Tip: i stayed infront of the carpark, E block which was cool and easier for me after parking up it was a...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank cherezz
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few times, the restaurant is now closed, but hey recession is everywhere, what I like about this place is I am a single traveller and all the shops and amenities are close by, beach, restaurants and clubs, my appartment was nice and it had cooking facilities, so dont believe the hype give it a try.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Trooper761
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Went there to visit old friends on my last stay in january to Ocho Rios, and was shocked at what I found, Reception had closed down as was the restaruant, bar and everything else, the reception was stripped of furniture, Big TV's and all decor, Rumor was that its going under hard really to understand as last year they started upgrading it, Sad as it used to be a good place to stay, right in the heart of Ocho

Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo