“PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!”

Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Queens, New York
“PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I've wasted my vacation here and I don't want to waste anymore time talking about this horrendous HOTEL, but I can't allow anyone else to make the mistake my girlfriend and I did. Please save your money and go elsewhere. The pictures on their website are totally not what you will see when you arrive.

Our room was a superior and it was deplorable. I knew I was in for a ride when the front desk handed us a KEY, yes a key not key card but a KEY. Mildew in bathroom and rotting on furniture. Window curtain had stains and so did the wall and ceiling. The lamps didn't work properly and they had water bugs. Wild dogs running by the pool which made my girlfriend and I rush back to our deplorable room. Cats walking around on the premises when we're trying to have lunch and dinner.

The staff was the only decent part of this hotel, well most of them at least. You can walk the whole beach in 3mins and 34 seconds. Yeah I timed it. Management completely gave up on this place. Whoever owns this hotel needs to give everyone back a refund. I don't know how they're still in business. Please go elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014
6 Thank FF609

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I returned yesterday from my trip to Shaw Park. I purchased a deal and did my research online. The pictures looked great. Boy was I wrong. I stayed in the superior room with my boyfriend. All of the furniture was old and received several paint jobs. This includes ALL of the furniture. We did not have a bath tub? We had a stand in shower? In a superior room? Don't expect to have lotion and shampoo provided. Only soap. The shower curtains were mildewed. The very nice gentleman who escorted us to our room went to open the curtain to show us the view only to reveal a huge smudge mark on the uncleaned glass. I stayed silent as I was embarrassed for him.

If you plan on having your room cleaned do not expect clean towels and always expect to kill 10-15 Mosquitos.

Stray animals: A random cat wandered around the dining room table every evening. I was scared as I had no idea whether it was hostile or not. Eventually we named it stranger and took pictures of it. This was how often we saw it.

There were also 3 dogs that ran down the path to the rooms one night I was so terrified that I ran back to mine and stayed in for the evening. Like are you kidding me? I do not vacation to be tense but to relax. Each night I kept looking for the dogs and I always heard them, especially by the pool.

The omelet lady was very rude as stated above. There is only 1 restaurant, the food was decent and the staff friendly.

We stayed for 6 nights and only enjoyed live entertainment 1 NIGHT.

We also couldn't print our voucher and spent 30-40 minutes utilizing there old computer to do so. We finally had it completed after 2 days of this.

The excursions off of the hotel were amazing. I could not wait to leave the hotel as the pictures are a complete lie. The white couches are stained, club never used, 1 pool stick to play pool, drawers have wall paper on the bottom to cover up the weathering of the dresser, no iron or hair dyer. However we saw a whole load of irons in the managers office when trying to print the voucher.

They served us drinks in children sized plastic cups. Beach chairs were filthy and kayaks had broken paddles.

They look like they have just given up on trying. However my room had a nice view of the owners boat parked on the beach walk way.

They also had a wonderful excursion to see the shaw gardens. They charged us and it was there own property. What a rip off.

Never book here. We are already booking our next trip to make up for this one. We will revisit Jamaica as we were left with a bad taste.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else. Anywhere else. Felt like wearing hiking clothes to dinner. Definitely not elega...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Candy609L

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at shaw park for7 days..the hotel could definitely use fixing up but it was nice to be right on beach.

Food was amazing every day.
great people and great weather!!

As for sunwing they were the worst..DONT FLY SUNWING...

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank stephanie j
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed there last year for 7 days. Food was really good and being on the ocean was nice. That is where the good part of this review ends. I could write a book about the terrible shape of the buildings and the lack of amenities. But the worst part for us was being ROBBED on the resort. Yes on the resort. In the hallway outside of our friends room. Management and owner could not have cared any less that we were robbed. They did not offer us anything not even an apology. In fact they made us feel like it was our fault. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank DerekMcD
Emerson, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at shaw park for seven days, no complaints about the hotel at all, food was great and plentiful, room clean and six steps to the beach, which was racked and cleaned daily more then once, always beach chairs available, always smiling, helping staff, met great folk, that did have some water issues before we arrived, but we had no problems at all, with shaw park( did have one issue with a security person out at the gate, which was rude, and needed to be adjusted, spoke with manager, Colin in that regard.
We will be back! Will not deal with sunwing as they were our problem, they never showed their face once in seven days... Losers!
Thanks to smily on the bar, thanks to Tracy, for making the best bracelets, and a smile each day, thanks to rose, thanks to all the chefs( which I cannot remember their names) thanks to Simone!,, miss you all, thanks for making our vacation one to remember....

Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Joy K
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2014

As I start to write this review, I don’t even know where to begin. There were WAY TOO many HORRIBLE things about this “resort”. I will begin by saying: save yourself from this nightmare and GO ANYWHERE ELSE! THIS PLACE IS A COMPLETE SCAM AND MANAGEMENT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMERS.

I have broken down the comments into a few categories.

No running water for days and associated lies:

•There was NO running water for THREE consecutive days at this resort. They staff kept giving us false hope that it will come back in ‘2 hours’. Well, it didn’t come back for days. And when it did, there was still NO hot water. Forget hot water, there was not even lukewarm water.
•The hotel decided to exploit the situation and tried to sell us bottles of water at this ‘all-inclusive resort’ and offered absolutely no apology for the situation. If anything, the front desk staff would YELL at you if you mentioned it to them.

Comments about Staff and Management:

•We bought an excursion from the hotel and made the mistake of paying in full before the experience, thinking we are at a real resort. GUESS WHAT? THEY SCAMMED US. We paid for a snorkeling and Dunn’s River boat cruise. We got snorkeling and were told that we won’t be getting the other half of the experience, nor will we get our money back! For days, we asked to speak to a Manager. But ofcourse, the standard excuse was that there is no Manager on-site. Finally, one day we were able to talk to this Manager after waiting AN HOUR in the lobby for his highness as he was “in a meeting”. He quickly reiterated to us that ‘there is nothing he can do for us’. I have never felt more scammed and angry than that moment.
•The kitchen staff tried to sell us drugs – we felt extremely unsafe
•There was an angry young lady that worked the omelet station and would not speak a word, had an angry scowl all day and would yell obscenities at you in Jamaican slang if you happened to ask for your omelet well done! Customer service comes last here! Remember, the customer is always wrong!
•There was a nice elderly couple who asked for a room change as their room was in a deplorable condition. The front desk staff did change the room as Sunwing (travel agency) forced them too. But, the front desk staff made sure she displayed her anger. SHE THREW THE KEYS AT THE CUSTOMER. Another great example of customer service here.

The rooms, property and food:

•The rooms are DISGUSTING! There is mold and rotting wood everywhere. Things don’t work (lamps, etc). The resort looks nothing like the pictures on their website. COMPLETELY FALSE ADVERTISING.
•ANOTHER LIE: THEY ADVERTISE TWO RESTAURANTS. THERE IS BARELY EVEN ONE!
•Our bathroom door didn’t even close.
•They don’t even put shampoo and soap in the shower.
•The carpet looks like it’s been there since the 70s
•The whole resort looks like something pulled out of a horror movie.
•The ‘all inclusive’ food options were very limited. The food tasted bland and there were never any decent dessert or fruit options. We were lucky if we found one thing every meal that tasted edible.

Safety concerns:
•The staff tried to sell us drugs
•Our first night, we heard yelling and screaming (and likely beating) in the room next door. We were too frightened to mention it to the staff as they did not care.

TO SUMMARIZE: THE WEBSITE IS FULL OF LIES, THERE IS BARELY ONE RESTAURANT, CUSTOMER SERVICE IS TERRIBLE, FOOD IS BLAND & LIMITED, MANAGEMENT IS JUST A BUNCH OF CROOKS, AND THIS IS CERTAINLY NO RESORT!

WORST VACATION EVER!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room anywhere but at Shaw Park
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank KingSal1
Belmont, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

The photos and description are completely fraudulent. No sailboats, kayaks are at least 20 years old and have glued together paddles, horrible smell of mildew throughout, slum like conditions throughout. Some good points: nice beach and food is good. The owner, a wealthy white Jamaican who owns the most expensive rum distillery on the island, is apparently trying to run the place into the ground. The manager is absent and inattentive. The staff tries to do the best but they have little to work with.

Stayed February 2014
SeaGarden Beach Resort
#19 of 62 in Montego Bay
Fun Holiday Beach Resort
SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril

Been to Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!