“All inclusive that just kept running out of everything!”

Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I have just returned after a weeks stay at this resort with my husband and whilst I always think I am going to have a great time away this was probably a little like staying at Fawlty Towers.

Our bedroom was spotlessly clean with a 60's theme - this is because the hotel was built in the 60's and has probably not changed since the day they opened for business. The plus side you walk out of your room onto your patio and then straight onto the beach, and then into the sea just metres from your door. The beach and sea is the best feature of the hotel as it is so close and very shallow making it safe for swimming.

The 'all-inclusive' package was a joke! I assumed that we would have lots of menu choices and good fish offerings - fish was on the menu twice and always fried? Starter was always salad and soup - which was out of a packet, powder just add water and tasted disgusting and this hotel had no ice cream all week - is it expensive to purchase in Jamaica is that why we could not have it? Ironically the days I did not enjoy staying in the complex was the day the food was at its best - cruise liner day. Basically cruise ships turn up at the ports of Falmouth and Ocho Rios and passengers are then shipped out on busses and boats to hotel resorts to spend time on land. So we went from a lovely quiet hotel of about 30 guests to over 150 at lunch all trying to get a table. On these days we had three of them, the waiters were running around after them to sell cocktails and beer which we ran out of each time these people appeared. However ask your waiter behind the bar if you could see a cocktail menu and you were told they don't have one. You could have a gin but no tonic, a coke without gold rum, a Coke without whiskey, and no beer most afternoons. The owner was talked about but no one saw him, and the GM appeared during the second half of our holiday but would not make any changes. Although he parked his British jaguar car right outside the front entrance -was that to make a statement who knows but it would seem his main concern was interviewing pretty girls and not caring about the guests in general.

We visited Ocho rios town and it is safe in the day time. Be aware you may get accosted by sellers but they are friendly and just trying to make a living. I would not suggest you go out on your own in the evening just because the area becomes a little edgy although I am sure if you have a local taxi driver with you then you would feel more secure which we heard guests did do.

Do not get a taxi ordered from the hotel they are twice as expensive but if you do then negotiate a price with the driver and also most give you a business card so that you can book them direct on other days. We booked Jo Cool taxis from the airport and they were fantastic. We were late arriving into Montego Bay due to delays but the driver was waiting for us and it was a pleasant journey. We also booked them for our return journey to the airport as they charge 70 US dollars single journey and the hotel charged 135 US dollars.

I did have a massage on the beach by one of the spa ladies - Claudette and it was perfect over an hours massage under a shady tree I would recommend this. You can also go over to the spa and have your massage there or your nails done etc - it looks very dated but is very clean and the staff are lovely.

The highlight for both of us was blue dun falls it is amazing and well worth the visit. Do join a group as you will have lots of fun and the guides are full of good information and will look after your camera and take loads of pictures for you it's a good couple of hours of fun and I am so glad we did this.

We also went on a sightseeing and sunset boat ride from our hotel - a complete rip off as you see nothing however when I was ready to jump overboard with the boredom along came a pod of dolphins which was truly magical but I am not sure this is going to happen every time you get on the boat and at over 100 US dollars was just not worth it - oh and guess what no beer on the boat!?

I am glad I have now visited Jamaica but as the world is getting closer and closer due to fantastic travel options I will not be visiting again.

A lot of the staff were lovely, I even liked the 'grumpy' omelette chef - she had a tough time trying to cook on a two gas ring contraption that actually broke and she then had to cook on just one ring! Smiley the bar man was a sweetie too.

I enjoyed meeting new friends but I won't be going back.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sunnyside2009

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed here in December with my friend. The food was great no complains. The staff was friendly. Smiley the bartender lived up to his name, he smiles alot and communicates with the guest. The view was great and Its somewhat a peaceful hotel.

What I did not like was, the pool was filthy, the flies and bees take over everthing at the bar was a hugh turn off (ive been to other hotels with outside bar and ive never seen so much flies in my life), limited entertainment (night time package was ok but day time needed work), the life gaurd who several guest asked questions and he was extremely rude, the rooms are very outdated but I did see some renovation happening on the other side the hotel.

I would say it depends on what you looking for in a vacation. Its not a bad hotel just need a little spunk. If you are looking to relax then its perfect, if its for fun then you might have a problem.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank avagailb
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I've wasted my vacation here and I don't want to waste anymore time talking about this horrendous HOTEL, but I can't allow anyone else to make the mistake my girlfriend and I did. Please save your money and go elsewhere. The pictures on their website are totally not what you will see when you arrive.

Our room was a superior and it was deplorable. I knew I was in for a ride when the front desk handed us a KEY, yes a key not key card but a KEY. Mildew in bathroom and rotting on furniture. Window curtain had stains and so did the wall and ceiling. The lamps didn't work properly and they had water bugs. Wild dogs running by the pool which made my girlfriend and I rush back to our deplorable room. Cats walking around on the premises when we're trying to have lunch and dinner.

The staff was the only decent part of this hotel, well most of them at least. You can walk the whole beach in 3mins and 34 seconds. Yeah I timed it. Management completely gave up on this place. Whoever owns this hotel needs to give everyone back a refund. I don't know how they're still in business. Please go elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014
6  Thank FF609
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I returned yesterday from my trip to Shaw Park. I purchased a deal and did my research online. The pictures looked great. Boy was I wrong. I stayed in the superior room with my boyfriend. All of the furniture was old and received several paint jobs. This includes ALL of the furniture. We did not have a bath tub? We had a stand in shower? In a superior room? Don't expect to have lotion and shampoo provided. Only soap. The shower curtains were mildewed. The very nice gentleman who escorted us to our room went to open the curtain to show us the view only to reveal a huge smudge mark on the uncleaned glass. I stayed silent as I was embarrassed for him.

If you plan on having your room cleaned do not expect clean towels and always expect to kill 10-15 Mosquitos.

Stray animals: A random cat wandered around the dining room table every evening. I was scared as I had no idea whether it was hostile or not. Eventually we named it stranger and took pictures of it. This was how often we saw it.

There were also 3 dogs that ran down the path to the rooms one night I was so terrified that I ran back to mine and stayed in for the evening. Like are you kidding me? I do not vacation to be tense but to relax. Each night I kept looking for the dogs and I always heard them, especially by the pool.

The omelet lady was very rude as stated above. There is only 1 restaurant, the food was decent and the staff friendly.

We stayed for 6 nights and only enjoyed live entertainment 1 NIGHT.

We also couldn't print our voucher and spent 30-40 minutes utilizing there old computer to do so. We finally had it completed after 2 days of this.

The excursions off of the hotel were amazing. I could not wait to leave the hotel as the pictures are a complete lie. The white couches are stained, club never used, 1 pool stick to play pool, drawers have wall paper on the bottom to cover up the weathering of the dresser, no iron or hair dyer. However we saw a whole load of irons in the managers office when trying to print the voucher.

They served us drinks in children sized plastic cups. Beach chairs were filthy and kayaks had broken paddles.

They look like they have just given up on trying. However my room had a nice view of the owners boat parked on the beach walk way.

They also had a wonderful excursion to see the shaw gardens. They charged us and it was there own property. What a rip off.

Never book here. We are already booking our next trip to make up for this one. We will revisit Jamaica as we were left with a bad taste.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else. Anywhere else. Felt like wearing hiking clothes to dinner. Definitely not elega...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Candy609L
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed at shaw park for7 days..the hotel could definitely use fixing up but it was nice to be right on beach.

Food was amazing every day.
great people and great weather!!

As for sunwing they were the worst..DONT FLY SUNWING...

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stephanie j
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed there last year for 7 days. Food was really good and being on the ocean was nice. That is where the good part of this review ends. I could write a book about the terrible shape of the buildings and the lack of amenities. But the worst part for us was being ROBBED on the resort. Yes on the resort. In the hallway outside of our friends room. Management and owner could not have cared any less that we were robbed. They did not offer us anything not even an apology. In fact they made us feel like it was our fault. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank DerekMcD
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed at shaw park for seven days, no complaints about the hotel at all, food was great and plentiful, room clean and six steps to the beach, which was racked and cleaned daily more then once, always beach chairs available, always smiling, helping staff, met great folk, that did have some water issues before we arrived, but we had no problems at all, with shaw park( did have one issue with a security person out at the gate, which was rude, and needed to be adjusted, spoke with manager, Colin in that regard.
We will be back! Will not deal with sunwing as they were our problem, they never showed their face once in seven days... Losers!
Thanks to smily on the bar, thanks to Tracy, for making the best bracelets, and a smile each day, thanks to rose, thanks to all the chefs( which I cannot remember their names) thanks to Simone!,, miss you all, thanks for making our vacation one to remember....

Stayed: February 2014