“Respect!”

Mystic Ridge Resort
Ranked #8 of 20 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Well. We did this as apart of the Groupon promotion. I am known for being truthful so here it goes. Unlike other reviewers, I do not have an overall picky demeanor when it comes to where I stay. If I want the Ritz or the Hilton then I will stay there. However, the place must be clean, safe, affordable, and accommodating. I must say that this hotel has really great service! This hotel is beautiful: the grounds, and the people. Mr Singh who is one of the two drivers who offer their taxi services, was AWESOME! He treated my sister and I like we were family. PLEASE PLEASE if you have to get a ride, patronize him. Back to the hotel. We got in from our flight at around 10:00 p.m. from Philadelphia and arrived to Montego Bay (Sangster). Please note that the normal operating hours for the taxi's to the hotel's and resorts are typically from morning until late evening (unless noted otherwise) so like 7 (or earlier) -9 p.m.. After that...you are on your own. Unless you are staying at a resort that provides transportation around the clock-schedule an early flight. Note that the thing they will not inform you of is that the taxi's are per-ride not per passenger (noted in all of their travel guides). However, unless you are staying in Montego Bay this could become VERY COSTLY. Mystic Ridge is about a good hour and forty five minutes away from the airport. Prepare for this. You will not be able to take a bus or walk (it isn't safe to do at certain hours anyway-as with any place). Anywho, we ended up having to pay a ridiculous amount for a taxi (Juta Tours is the official taxi's there in Jamaica...DO NOT get in if it does not say Juta Tours). Our ride was fast although we were half asleep the entire time so we did not get to see anything on the way in. I must say however, that the taxi driver was very nice and even gave us a history lesson while we nodded off and on.
When we arrived to our hotel, it was midnight. Dragging along we made it to the front door already jaded by the ridiculously priced taxi ride.
Upon entering a large group of French Tourist were checking in. It went by fast, by the time we came to the front it had to be about 1:00 in the morning almost. For that time of night, I must say that the front desk was VERY helpful and accommodating. She had a smile, she was ready for us. Though she could not find our reservation (I had a confirmation number but apparently it disappeared on their system) she set us up with a room, had someone take our bags, and wished us a good night's rest. When I inquired about the room she said: "You are tired. Don't worry about it right now. Go in, get some sleep and we will deal with it in the morning. Pleasant dreams". Honestly, I thought I'd walked into a 1950's movie, she was so sweet. We dragged to our room and hit the sheets.
The next morning, reality set in-in a good way though. PLEASE NOTE: This hotel is on a mountain that is VERY steep. It is also located near a bird sanctuary, garden, very very nature outdoorsy kind of place. Expect lizards, bugs (oh the big bugs), and some stray cats (indigenous to islands and everywhere else.) The crickets were HUGE I am TERRIFIED of bugs and for someone who freaks out every time a bug comes near them, I did really well. I will tell you why: NOT A SINGLE BUG OR ANYTHING ELSE WAS FOUND IN MY ROOM. They take great pride in their establishment and I must say that we slept comfortably EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. The cleaning women are VERY friendly and did a wonderful job. This is a pretty big place so for the women I did see to handle this place-I commend them.
My sister and I walked in on the woman cleaning the room and she was very precise in how she mopped, swept, folded our sheets, and I knew this wasn't for show because she'd done it everyday we were there. We didn't ask for clean towels but the hotel made sure we had them. They even folded them into birds and placed them on the bathroom rack. The shower was AWESOME. I am VERY particular about bathrooms and this one was very clean. The balcony was very nice, the furniture was sturdy (my sister and I are tall plus size women). The hotel was very nice. They even have Mystic Ridge rain forest park. The only activities included are the access to the park not any additional amenities.
The June Plum had great breakfast (try their punch and their sweet rolls) but their restaurant at night was overpriced and overrated. I DID NOT LIKE THE FOOD. My sister and I have a very adventurous palate but this food was the worse. We paid $7.00 each for cheesecake and expected a nice portion, but got a stale slither of cake. Please save your money and have dinner at the two restaurants at the bottom of the hotel. Yes there is a hill A HIGH HILL, but the food was waaaaay better. Also try Oceans on the Ridge (Mr Singh can take you for a fee). Both have affordable meals and good prices.
Mystic Mountain and Dunn's Falls are a must! Also, take advantage of a tour with Mr Singh. He will also take you souvenir shopping. Overall I loved the hotel. If you do not want to do the hour and a half long ride you can stay in Montego Bay but there is nothing to do outside of the resorts. I felt like I got a real taste for Jamaica when I went and I wouldn't change that for anything! Jamaica is a hustle! Hustle them back! It was a HUGE turn-off to be haggled so much but this was no fault of the hotel. The hotel made sure to take care of us, and for that I say they are top in my book when it comes to accommodations in Ocho Rios. P.S. they do not have a private beach but can take you to one (for a fee) as most places not directly on the beach do not have beach access. We still had a great time.
Here are some photos:https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4127205654676.2139370.1119450495&type=1&l=c0d605e614

Room Tip: If you stay in the rear of the hotel you get to hear the waterfall in the restaurant next door. Pick...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank P L

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Spacious rooms all with a balcony. Huge pool with a pool bar. Beautiful grounds, feels like you are in the middle of a tropical jungle, but only 30 seconds from the town center. Breakfast is included and excellent- authentic Jamaican breakfast. Wifi works, cable tv, and simple check in, check out policy. We showed up without a reservation. Really an all around great experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Erica551987
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I got married there Feb 23, 2013, I just want to take the time out to say how happy I am with service from the hotel and even more from my wedding planner Anesia . She was very helpful through out these months and very professional. I COULD NOT had a better wedding planner . The room was also great and the grounds were well kept (great condition ). My husband was very pleased with the room and the nature sound with the river flowing in the back. We will come back and stay there. The breakfast was top notch and our wedding cake superb!!!!
THANKS FOR WONDERFUL TIME WE HAVE NO COMPLAINTS!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We were here for a weekend wedding in Ocho Rios. Despite the fact that we happened to have chosen the grayest, rainiest weekend to be in Jamaica, I had a wonderful time. I absolutely loved Mystic Ridge and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise that we were not on the beach... because it was not beach-going weather anyway.

What I loved:
This place is very very elegant. Every time I would walk the grounds, I felt like I was in a Southern plantation surveying my properties. The outside is impeccably manicured and inside, the rooms are very stylishly decorated. Obviously, no one books a hotel in the Caribbean because they are looking for a design haven, but this place is very fashionable and bright. A nice juxtaposition of modern and antique.

The service when we were there was IMPECCABLE. Nakisha and Renato were the ones who greeted us and they were absolute gems. Ironically, when I had called from the States prior to the trip, the person who answered me was so surly that I got worried. When we got there, everyone was tremendously warm.

What I did not love:
The sign on the main road looks like a sign you would see for a rundown amusement park. It was bright yellow and tacky, and I was horrified when our tour bus pulled up and let us down here. We looked like we were staying at a motel that charges by the hour. Why such an achingly elegant place would have such a shlocky, kitschy sign on the outside is beyond me. Yes, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover... but after seeing the grand entrances of the other hotels on the way from the airport, this entrance was such a disappointment. Especially when you come all the way in and realize how beautiful everything it. Mystic, please change your awful sign. You are selling yourself so short.

What you should be aware of:
I think Mystic Ridge should be renamed Mystic Mountain because the hill it is on is STEEP. I am in my 20s and when I got back to America, I didn't recognise my body: it was so toned from all the walking I had done up and down the hill. Obviously, 1 person's toned is another one's throbbing. If you have any type of leg/knee problems, or if you are over 40 (seriously, I'm not being ageist), this hill is daunting. There is a shuttle to take you up and down the hill. But, if you want an excellent workout (especially after stuffing your mouth with every land and sea creature within a 10-mile radius), then this 'ridge' is a godsend.

Other thing, you are not on the beach. Because of the rain, this was no problem b/c there was no beach to see. If you want to roll out of bed and be on the sand, this is not your hotel. If you don't mind a 5 min jaunt and you prefer to be in the center of town, then this is a perfect hotel. I was able to shop for gifts easily and the only time I paid for a car was to get to the wedding. Otherwise, I walked everywhere.

What needs improving:
If you accept that island time is a part of the bargain, then you'll be fine. If you are in rush, then this may be an issue.
I ordered a spa service with Verona. Everyone is on island time so I learned that you have to be flexible. If you want to start at 5:00, make a 4:30 booking. The spa comes to your room. I wish it could last longer, and I hope someone brings this business model to the US. A lot of us would love to have spa service at home. I hadn't been to a spa in 5 years or so, this was a real treat.

The views when you walk around the property are achingly mesmerizing. it waslike being in the countryside and the jungle. The hotel could be a bona fide tourist attraction and I think they should invest in more tables and chairs in its mountainside, to encourage guests to walk around. There is a gazebo up top and it was just begging to be married in :).

So the flaws are:
- tacky entrance sign
- not enough hot water
- an underdeveloped (but beautiful) mountainside
- decorative pillows that are not quite clean
- steep hill

The advantages are:
- Elegant elegant elegant setup + decor
- Embarrassingly affordable
- Center of town
- Dazzling mountaintop views
- Wonderful, wonderful service
- Relaxed, peaceful setting (I walked by some of the beachside hotels and it sounded like a nonstop 80s frat party. Such loud music).
- In-room balcony. I had the most basic room and it still came with a lovely balcony.
- Friendly, gracious staff who were not over the top the way so many are (which leaves you feeling like you are being made fun of.)

I am not an island person and was only here for a wedding. That said, I would book this hotel again if ever I were in Ocho Rios. It is 5 stars with an asterisk b/c none of its flaws are dealbreakers. Bear in mind that it rained throughout and I still had a lovely time. Thank you for a fantastic stay.

ps. On my last day, I bought exquisite jewelry for my picky (ritzy) mum from a vendor named Trevor Basie. His stall is in that open air market right on Main St (make a right onto DaCosta, a left onto Milford, a right onto Main St.) Ask for Basie, the vendors all know him. The necklaces look like something out of a Neiman Marcus catalogue. Treat your wives/girlfriends/mother...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank ZozParis
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Wish we were here longer than just the few nights we spent here on our Jamaican vacation & business trip. The one & two bedroom apartments were very clean and spacious. We were on the third floor, which was fine for us, but there were no elevators, which my be a problem for others. The grounds were immaculate and the pool, restaurant and swim up bar areas were wonderful. The front desk clerk was rather blah, but the rest of the staff was helpful. We were right near Mystic Mountain attraction, which was where we spent the day on the zip line through the rain forest, tobogganing and on the water slide. The 15 minute trip up the mountain on the gondola was breathtaking! The resort gives a discount rates to hotel guests. We recommend it to everyone going to Ochoa Rios. I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DebArtist
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed there with my boyfriend from 2/19-2/23 to celebrate my birthday. I chose this hotel because it was on a mountain, close to a town and walking distance to the beach. When I got there I realized that the room wasn't as bright and flawless and as crisp as the pictures showed. The bedskirt was dingy as if someone had mopped the floor without lifting it, the curtains and shower curtains were not freshly washed either. I'm thinking that this place is probably about as clean as a Ramada Inn or Holiday Inn but because those places use heavily patterned bedspreads and curtains, we can't SEE what's dirty. This places uses white and lime green so they should DEFINITELY pull curtains down and bedspreads off and wash them weekly. Otherwise, the bathroom was clean, the towels, wash cloths and the sheets were clean. The bedroll was kind of tattered. Again, bright colors but it should probably come with a zip off cover that should be removed and washed. Oh yeah, the hot water seemed to disappear any time I wanted to shower. Smh. But here I am, writing a review of what they need to do in my opinion...that's not my objective but I guess that's what constructive criticism is.
STAFF: Friendly, nice people. June Plum was closed when we got there, we were starving and Carl seated us and let us know that they had a couple of items left which were yummy.
POOLSIDE BAR: Open, the bartender was very nice and friendly and made us THE BEST daiquiris.
DESK STAFF: Very nice and helpful. They were NO problem at all.
CAB DRIVERS AT THE HOTEL: They were very nice and mysteriously ALWAYS AROUND when we left our room...when we got there they were always offering to take us everywhere and even including Dunn's River Falls for $40 for both of us round trip...very nice until we didn't agree with the prices! lol. One guy (Not Mr. Green) drove us to the town to the pharmacy and was supposed to take us to Dunn's but upon negotiating the price...he disappeared when we came out of the store. We found that to be hilarious. Amazingly, after complaining about prices, we never saw either of them again. But we walked out and got a cab to and from Dunn's River for a TOTAL of $15 round trip for the two of us.
THE POOL: Clean, cold, relaxing, very nice.
All in all, its an okay hotel. It can benefit from a good power wash on the outside and some machine washing on the linens. The person who cleans the rooms does a great job on the things that she can clean by hand tho.. ..I guess that's my review!

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank SmartyPantsJones
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Hotel is comfortably nested in the hills, yet you can walk downtown to main street in a matter of moments. Super central location, easily accessible when traveling through Ocho Rios. The room we had was stellar, which was identical to the advertised spaces, and everything in the room was working well. The restaurant at the hotel serves authentic Jamaican cuisine for meals so get ready for it... when in Rome! The food is actually quite tasty and very healthy for you, so open your mind! The pool/bar area was super laid back, everybody who was out there was having a great time. The rooms and different areas of the hotel were clean, safe, and just enjoyable overall. We received great treatment from the staff we met, and would highly recommend this resort to anybody traveling through the Ochi area!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends