“Decent Hotel, some issues!”

Mystic Ridge Resort
Ranked #8 of 19 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“Decent Hotel, some issues!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

First the bad;

The rooms were OK. Had an issue on the first day where we were not provided any blankets. I called the staff several times and the issue did not get resolved till the next evening, when we were finally given a duvet cover with which we made do for the rest of the stay. The other issue was that the water pressure for the sink was really really low, but again we made do.

The breakfast was OK, however 5 out of the 7 days they were out of eggs (really limited the already sparse menu even more). However I wasn't expecting much for the price anyway

The location is good in the sense that its just a a few minutes from the Ocho Rios main street where all the markets are. The disappointment was that for the most part, a little after dark we felt uneasy and unsafe due to some unlit areas and being approached by some shady guys asking for money (on our first night I thought the guy was about to pull a knife on us for not giving him any)

Now the Good;

Despite these issues our stay in Jamaica was really fun. We had an activity everyday so we were away all day anyway. The hotel felt very safe due to its high ground location and security. The June Plum restaurant was nice and the staff is actually all very friendly and great. We made some great friends on our stay which included some of the staff. Met interesting people who were also staying there and liked to explore Jamaica.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hasaang

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I have reviewed this hotel previously however I thought I would do so again since there have been changes and improvements. Stayed here with some friends for 2 nights and we had a good time. Check-in was smooth, Tanisha I believe her name was, was accommodating and even got my friends a discount on their loft suite! I want to make mention especially of Darlington Rose-Bellman who is nothing short of amazing! We checked in and by the time we go to our room we saw that we had 2 beds instead of a King as requested in our reservation. Upon calling the front desk from our room we got Kimarley who did not display what customer service is really about. He went on to tell me he would have to call the person who made my reservation to verify if i did indeed book a King bed which whether or not I had, the fact still remains Mystic Ridge...Kimarley Ridge, had a guest who needed a King bed! And so he continued to argue with me until he finally relented and moved us to the adjoing room which had a Queen bed. Overall I didnt allow his lack of hospitality to ruin our time there as I am aware that this didnt have to set the tone for my short trip. Darlington even called housekeeping for us to get the bed made up and went and got linen for the new room which he never had to do<<<THAT is WHAT Customer Service is all about. Taking ownership regardless of its your job or not. The outside of the property needs a facelift but the rooms are good enough. I suggest putting in some carpets or bedside mats as the floors can get a bit cold especially in the rainy weather. The chef was also great, always checking to ensure the food was good and we had everything we needed. Antonio at breakfast looks like he needs a hug;) he wasnt overly pleasant but not rude. Moving on to the restaurant June Plum<even though I know its two different owners, I will post here and also on their page-Absolutely awesome. My waitress-her name escapes me but I think its Charmaine or starts with a C(Sorry:() she was super amazing. Always smiling and going out of her way to assist us at dinner. The food is glorious, I even forgot to take pics because i just wanted to dive right in. Definitely have the Jerk Chicken rolls, lobster thermidor and the pork chops. Yummy! Overall we had a good time, if you dont stay at the hotel, at least visit June Plum!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shar_Loy
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed there for 2 nights. On first day, receptionist told me the credit card I provided online is not working. She said machine was not working well and it was happening to almost everyone recently. So, I gave her the original card and another card to try. I even called Amx directly to see if they see transaction coming thru but they didn't. The receptionist and another lady there told me they will try again later on. Next day, there is another receptionist and I asked if my room is ok with payment and she said everything is good then, so we checked out. When we are in Kingston as our next stop, we started getting strange transactions from Godaddy.com (online website building / seller.) for more than 200$. Then 1$ from ebay, another 1$ from Amazon and another from Netherlands sourced merchant on both Amx and Visa cards I showed at this hotel. I think there may be organized credit card stealing involved at that hotel. Better give them local money. I got all my money back as some of the transactions kept coming are blocked and the one that went thru were refunded from credit card companies. I rate this hotel as "Terrible" because of our own experience on this credit card stealing cases. They have responsibility not to get compromise/involved of their swiping machines and/or their people.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nay201311
Rebecca R, Guest Relations Manager at Mystic Ridge Resort, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. We're sorry for the delay in responding.

We apologize that this happened to you while you were staying with us.

However, we feel we must correct some inaccuracies in your review. It is true that we were having some problems with our credit card swiping machine while you were a guest. But we would like to emphasize that there is no organized credit card data theft at our hotel.

We are one of the most popular hotels in Ocho Rios. This has not been an issue for the many guests who have stayed with us.

Please know that we take this situation seriously and will continue to protect the personal data of all our guests.

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I found the resort through LivingSocial and wanted to take advantage of the free breakfast offered as well as passes to Mystic Mountain including a ride on the Sky Explorer. My friend and I stayed for 4 days in mid-July. This was our first time to Jamaica.The resort is situated on a steep hill so if you have an issue with treking up and down the hill, this may be an issue for you. For us, it was fine. The view at the top is wonderful. You can see the ocean and beach.

After we checked-in, we were escorted to our room which was a one bedroom suite that included a living area and kitchen. I was pleased with the size and decor of the accomodations. We even had a patio area with a table and two chairs.

The resort includes free-Wifi throughout the property but it can be spotty. The best area of reception was near the June Plum restaurant.

Breakfast included a mix of American and Jamaican cuisine. The options changed daily ranging from saltfish, cabbage, dumplings, and beans. Omlettes were also offered daily. I did notice that the restaurant staff were not as friendly as Americans would expect with customer service. It was almost as if it was a chore to ask for juice or water. I had to keep reminding myself I was in a different country with a different culture. I enjoyed trying the different food options. It was quite tasteful.

I loved that we were within walking distance to Margaritaville and the downtown market. That allowed us to save money to use toward excursions. Additionally, there is a Jerk Centre that serves some pretty good jerk chicken near the resort.

There are taxis available on the property to get you around but the prices will be a bit more expensive than local cabs. It was explained to us that the resort taxis have a contract with the property and that if anything is left behind in the cab, they will return it to you. Basically, a liabiity and saftey issue.

My friend did not stay the entire time so I was there alone for one day. I felt safe walking around the resort and was not bothered. There is also a gate at the bottom of the hill where a security guard monitors people entering and exiting the resort.

My main gripe at the resort was the lack of hot water during my entire stay. We informed management of the issue but it was not resolved prior to us departing. We were not pleased having to take cold showers every day.

The resort is quiet. There weren't many tourists. To my understanding, part of the resort includes privately-owned units which may account for a more local feel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Olivia H
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We've gone to Mystic Ridge twice. The first time we went we were extremely satisfied with our stay that we vowed that it would be our choice hotel when traveling to Ocho Rios. The second time wasn't as great, but we were still pleased with our decision.

The things that remained constant were:
The Staff: extremely friendly and helpful. From the gate man, to the receptionists, to the manager. Everyone there made you feel very welcomed and made the stay enjoyable.

The ambiance: the name suits the resort very well. It's a very cozy and intimate setting the way that the rooms are set up and the grounds are arranged.

The property is in walking distance to shopping centers and various restaurants, but their on property restaurant, June Plum, is all you really need.

When going to Ocho Rios, we will continue to stay at Mystic Ridge. It is definitely not the cheapest hotel in the area, but you definitely get what you pay for.

All in all, if what you're looking for is a place to just stay on the grounds, Mystic Ridge is NOT for you.
If you simply want a place to sleep and don't care for the bells and whistles, save your money and stay elsewhere.
But if you're looking for a safe, intimate, and cozy hotel in which you plan to split your days between the hotel grounds and the sights of Ocho Rios, then Mystic Ridge is for you.
We will continue to return here for our trips to Ochi.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank David A
Woonsocket, Rhode Island
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Mystic Ridge in Ocho Rios with some friends. It was a group trip and we rented a 2 bedroom condo. We had an awesome time at the resort. The staff was friendly and knowledgable, especially Alrick. He went out of his way to assist us and make us feel welcome. The restaurant, June Plum, is to die for. They serve excellent high quality food at reasonable prices. The breakfast buffet was great and included fresh local dishes. Chef Antonio took care of us. The hotel is in a great part of town, centrally located near downtown Ocho Rios but not right in the middle of downtown with all the noise. This is a great hotel to stay at if you want to be near the action but still want to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet of a resort. The spa prices were excellent. This is a great hotel to stay at also if you plan to go to Mystic Mountain as it is a 3 minute drive from the resort and you will receive free admission and sky explorer rides if you are staying at Mystic Ridge. Overall, we had a great time at the hotel and will be returning as soon as we can.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tash0612
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at Mystic; the location is perfect. It overlooks the ocean and depending on the room you are in, you can see the cruise ships when they are in.The room amenities are very modern. I had a 2 br suite and was able to cool and have dinner on the balcony overlooking the ocean.

• Stayed January 2013