“RARELY LEFT RESORT”

Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
north coast
“RARELY LEFT RESORT”
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Another great stay at this property.
There have been some nice improvements here.

We arrived late in the afternoon and ordered dinner here from Ivan, he offered it to be served on our balcony. Really nice and the food was very good. With this option we looked forward to this treat every night but one. Breakfast was usually poolside.

My only compliant was cleaning of the pool during the day when many are poolside.

Look forward to returning!

Room Tip: Order meals to be served on your lovely balconys
1 Thank rootswoman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Panama City, Panama, Panama
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I had booked for two nights at the Silver Seas Hotel in Ocho Rios. When I traveled to Jamaica for the Rebel Salute Festival I was happily surprised when I arrived at Silver Seas and was met by friendly staff and beautiful ocean views.
My huge room with two queen size beds and a large bathroom including bath tub, also had a big terrace from where you could almost touch the Caribbean Sea. Very nice. Excellent food is served at the Silver Seas Hotel, as well. I had wonderful breakfasts with dumplings and ackee and saltfish, the typical Jamaican fare. Make sure you try it.
I had such a nice time there and was made to feel very welcome there that I decided to stay for another 9 days instead of going on to Mobay as I had planned.
Especially with the couple running the very cool pool side bar -Donna and Patrick- I became good friends instantly and I am sure I will go back next month for another visit. Donna is a sparkling happy lady, and she and her husband Patrick are sure to make you feel at home.
My friend who came to meet me there from Detroit felt exactly the same way about this great place and its wonderful staff.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Saskia B
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 4 March 2013

The locals knows it is dangerous and "banned" unofficially from tourists in the know, and hopefully the JTB will look into it. The presentation is seductive with nice view, but it is ridden with pimps, prostitutes and known as that kind of hotel. It is in the ghetto with one alley in and out. We got out as soon as we could. Please be careful. This area is rough and it is NOT for single women or people with small children. Saw several single men there for obvious reasons and out of the whole hotel they were only a handful of guests. It has good potential, and I hope the right people will take it over. But I dont know how they are going to fix the location unless they buy the whole neighborhood. Stray and wild dogs abound. Rooms are old, tattered, and hair present on dressers and awful smell. It look like no one stayed in our room for a year.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Havelynn

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Connecticut
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I just came back from Jamaica and I stayed at Silver Seas with my husband. Let's be honest this hotel is older and is in need of some much needed TLC. I'm unsure why others have bashed this hotel when you can clearly look at the rating that this hotel has received. This is not going to be a 2 star hotel like you will see overseas....its just not. The decoration, furniture and room accessories are older but that's only important if you plan on spending a large amount of time in the room. We partied, spend long nights on the beach, shopped, went sightseeing, partied some more and had a ball! Silver Seas provided exactly what we needed...a warm shower and a bed to crash on when we got back from partying at a great price. The view from our room was breathtaking and it was nice to wake up to the sound of the ocean every morning. The rooms are large and at the price its actually a steal. At an all inclusive resort the rooms are smaller and the price is more. Venture out....walk out to the market and buy a cold jelly or sugar cane, have a Guiness or Dragon Stout at the bar, get a manicure/pedicure, have breakfast at MOMS and lunch at World of Fish and in the evening find a party to go to!!!!!

The women from housekeeping were the friendliest and most humble women I've ever met especially Benneth. They worked harder than any housekeeper that I've seen here overseas. Its obvious that this hotel needs a bigger budget to exceed everyone's expectations. For example take notice of what they dispense their cleaning supplies in and the rags and towels for the rooms. I have extremely sensitive skin so I always bring my own towels, soap and sheets so not having enough towels in the room was not an issue for me.

We never once felt unsafe while we stayed at Silver Seas. It is located on a very busy street and had guards at the entrance every morning and every night. Our suitcases were there more than we were and there was nothing missing from our room or suitcase. My suggestion for traveling somewhere unknown is........ travel light!!!! We only brought our cellphones that doubles as our camera. We kept our passports in our suitcase and we didn't flash any foreign money. We didn't bring a camera, jewelry (except our wedding bands), laptop, IPAD, IPOD...nothing of value. After all you're on vacation!!! Live it up and ENJOY!

Room Tip: The 2nd floor rooms offers breathtaking views.
6 Thank Samantha S
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The silver seas was the first luxury resort in Ochos Rios, built in 1948. Its getting older but some of the rooms have been redone and the view from the balconies is fantastic. You are right on the sea, a nice clean pool,bar,restaurant serving very good food. The staff has been there an average of 20 years and is very helpful

Room Tip: the second floor rooms have great views and sea breezes.
4 Thank 40c
Wells, Maine
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I have stayed at Silver Seas numerous times and always return. I am not visiting Jamaica for a luxury, all inclusive, never leave the hotel kind of stay. I often wonder why anyone would want to stay on the umteenth floor at the Jamaican Grande, maybe they never leave their room! I love my huge room and veranda at Silver Seas on the second floor. This visit I experienced new changes, new faces and all the previous members of the staff that accomodate me 24/7. Love to welcome Donna and Patrick. Donna has spruced up the bar, added some new red wine selections and has plans to bring some exciting local entertainment and promotions to the hotel. All the best Donna! Patrick is always fixing something and replacing old to new! Big up! My gals at the front desk, Carol and Paulette always squeeze me in as my travel plan changes daily! LOL! I swear Mr. Davis at the door has eyes on the back of his head. He always knows when I'm coming or going and always feel safe. Barry is always running something for me to and from the kitchen! My dear Lavina, tea and breakfast in the morning. Great server! For those of you not staying at the Seas, I believe the dining area is open to the public and the food is reasonably priced and delicious. Local and American cuisine. Want to give "Schutz" Mr. Clark a big up for saving the day! His patch job on the old cable T.V. spot. He knows what I mean! Hee Hee! If your looking for clean, quiet and on the water, affordable! Silver Seas is your place! See you soon, B

Room Tip: They are all water front....I prefer the second floor....The verandas are enclosed from room to room...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank echase50
Reviewed 10 January 2013

After reading the reviews I was apprehensive. But silver seas offers value for money for visitors ona budget. If your expecting 5* all inc hotel with all the frills this hotel isnt for you. If your looking for reasonable accommodation in ocho rios in central sea front location then book your stay. Firstly it is 2* so what it lacks in areas it makes up elsewhere. Negatives, needs a revamp but has potential : no fridge, no phone in rooms,shabby towels some times but towels were generally clean and changed daily, no tv remote but has very good tv channel selection,no toiletries, some areas of hotel a little rough, eg bath taps, no plug but who wants a bath in jamaica, mattresses ..not fantastic but bearable. customer service ...IS TYPICALLY JAMAICAN (laid back). But staff are polite when they engage. Rooms can be dark with only table lamps available in rooms. Furniture typically new england style. Positives: air conditioning, hot water with good pressure, clean even though hotel not greatly maintained, huge double double bedrooms, (2 double beds) ♥ Rooms are approx 30ft lots of storage furniture seperate dressing area and bathroom, huge balcony with light chairs and table. Amazing and under priced sea views. Walking distance of main strip 2 mins and main hotels 5mins to the jamaica grande. Free wifi in lobby, clean good size pool, bar and food service. It may not appear that way but hotel is fairly secure. Well lit areas to rooms doors to rooms a little old with key access but additional internal bolt. Central but secluded location. Be local and try local cuisine its great stuff , affordable and fresh.

Room Tip: Sea view room is best and 1st floor for best rooms. For group or family trips request adjoining room...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family