“A place with character”

Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Hanau, Germany
“A place with character”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

What a nice place, it's the oldest hotel in Ochi and I just love old hotels with character and charm, not the sterilness of the chain hotels where you have to ask which country you in.

This place is great value for money, the staff and the food are exellent, direct acess to the ocean, no real beach but lounge chairs you can relax in and hop in the water as you please, also a pool.

Everything in Ochi is walkable from this place, so you're not stuck and have to get a taxi anywhere you want to go.

You can tell the age by design, but everything works just fine, A/C is great and the view from the balcony can't be beat, I would stay here again without thinking twice about it.

Room Tip: second floor, good view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Uta H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Temple, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I recently stayed at Silver Seas at the recommendation of a friend. The price that I received was great but once I got there I saw why. This hotel is very old and is in need of a major overhaul. I really hope that someone buys the current owners out and make some extensive renovations. This hotel sits in a perfect spot to be the perfect getaway. The best thing about it was waking up and looking right out into the ocean. The furniture is old, the mattress is thin and it feels like it is about 30 years old. And probably has bed bugs....its that bad. They have a iron and ironing board at the front desk that you have to go and pick it up and take back after every use. They dont have ice machines or fridges. We had to go out and find ice in the community and bring it back to the room. The room has a funny smell, so we went and found candles to help with the smell. The room is big but just nasty.The linen on the beds are old.The toilet overflooded while we were there, the air conditioner does not work well and is loud. My husband found drugs stuffed into the balcony area and I witnessed the security guard selling drugs to one of the guests. This hotel is the perfect place if you are on the run from the police. me and my husband could not get out of there quick enough.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RedboneTx829

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

I has an amazing time at silver seas. my eight year old daughter was treated like a princess by all of the staff, especially Donna the bartender. She was so good to her my child gave her the boogie board she just got for the trip. I LEFT THE HOTEL FEELING LIKE I WAS LEAVING FAMILY. I know you will have the best time in all of ochos rios staying here.

• Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

A charming and unique hotel. Unlike all of the standardized resort hotels in the area it offers a unique stay with a real taste of Jamaica. The hotel is set back from the hectic road side, a heaven along the sea front with the best views around. The hotel rooms are huge with balconies offering the best ocean views around. Donna the bar tender is a legend and is a fountain of knowledge as to what to see, where to eat and how to travel in Ochi.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Genuine_13
north coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

Another great stay at this property.
There have been some nice improvements here.

We arrived late in the afternoon and ordered dinner here from Ivan, he offered it to be served on our balcony. Really nice and the food was very good. With this option we looked forward to this treat every night but one. Breakfast was usually poolside.

My only compliant was cleaning of the pool during the day when many are poolside.

Look forward to returning!

Room Tip: Order meals to be served on your lovely balconys
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rootswoman
Panama City, Panama, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

I had booked for two nights at the Silver Seas Hotel in Ocho Rios. When I traveled to Jamaica for the Rebel Salute Festival I was happily surprised when I arrived at Silver Seas and was met by friendly staff and beautiful ocean views.
My huge room with two queen size beds and a large bathroom including bath tub, also had a big terrace from where you could almost touch the Caribbean Sea. Very nice. Excellent food is served at the Silver Seas Hotel, as well. I had wonderful breakfasts with dumplings and ackee and saltfish, the typical Jamaican fare. Make sure you try it.
I had such a nice time there and was made to feel very welcome there that I decided to stay for another 9 days instead of going on to Mobay as I had planned.
Especially with the couple running the very cool pool side bar -Donna and Patrick- I became good friends instantly and I am sure I will go back next month for another visit. Donna is a sparkling happy lady, and she and her husband Patrick are sure to make you feel at home.
My friend who came to meet me there from Detroit felt exactly the same way about this great place and its wonderful staff.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Saskia B
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

The locals knows it is dangerous and "banned" unofficially from tourists in the know, and hopefully the JTB will look into it. The presentation is seductive with nice view, but it is ridden with pimps, prostitutes and known as that kind of hotel. It is in the ghetto with one alley in and out. We got out as soon as we could. Please be careful. This area is rough and it is NOT for single women or people with small children. Saw several single men there for obvious reasons and out of the whole hotel they were only a handful of guests. It has good potential, and I hope the right people will take it over. But I dont know how they are going to fix the location unless they buy the whole neighborhood. Stray and wild dogs abound. Rooms are old, tattered, and hair present on dressers and awful smell. It look like no one stayed in our room for a year.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family