“Keep returning”

Silver Seas Resort Hotel
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 29 June 2008

Love the location and the veiws from the huge balcony.
The beds are ruff as are the linens. Bring your own.

The rooms are large with many chairs and a local stations TV.

Bring a coffeepot and a radio,
the accustics in these rooms and balcony's are fine.

Plan to snoerkel, the reef in front of the hotel is where many local charters take their tours.
Alot of action there..fun

Breakfast is the only meal we take on site.
Plenty of resturants within 5min walk on James ave or call Evita's for a comp pickup.

Ask to see a couple rooms before deciding.
The westside rooms are nicer and more convenient.

Bigup to
Mr Davis,Cowboy,Devon,Carole,JohnWayne&Precious

The phone [--]
photos added

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank rootswoman

Reviewed 14 April 2008

This was a last minute trip for my sister and I (we booked 4-3-08 and traveled on 4-4-08). We found a great price for airfare and this hotel so we decided to take a chance and we booked for the Silver Seas Resort Hotel.

The ride from the airport:

The ride was the standard 1.5 hours from Sangster to Ochos, Rios. The ride is usually nice but we had a driver that wouldn't shut up!

The hotel:

Honestly, when we pulled up to the hotel it reminded me of the hotel on the movie Revenge of the Nerds 2! It was old and random people were walking around. We got our luggage and went to the front lobby to check in. I was further taken aback by the dated furniture. At this point I got worried because I began to ask myself, If the lobby is like this, what is the room like? So, the front desk guy took us upstairs to see one of the rooms. It was large but like the rest of the hotel, it was old. No telephones or radios in the room and the tv had no cable. Despite this we figure this was a last minute trip so we were going to make the best out of the situation. There were two things that made up for this hotel, the view and the housekeeping. The view from our balcony was spectacular! we were right on the water! It was nice sleeping with the balcony door open and hearing the ocean and feeling the breeze! When we got back to the room from a long day, the room was always spotless and we always has clean towels and washcloths.

The beach and pool area:

The beach here consist of a stip of sand and concrete. The pool area was okay but when I'm in Jamaica, I prefer to swim in the beautiful ocean. We went to the public beach down the street.

Overall:

We had a fantastic vacation! Even though the hotel wasn't to my usual standard it was okay. We were right in the heart of ochos rios and we had a blast! I would go back there if I should ever get a great deal like I did this time.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank vascience_teacher
Reviewed 14 March 2008

we stayed at silver seas on our freinds recommendation and we
thought value for money it could not be beaten,we were only there for one night but wish it had been longer and will definetly
be going back the rooms were basic but i thought we got what we paid for and more besides, rooms were large,beds comfy, hot
water constantly, lovely balcony fantasic views,lovely staff ive stayed in alot worse for the money we paid to stay at silver seas.
okay its in what people could call downtown but to me i just think ,
there but for the grace of god go i, jamaica and its people are wonderful i love the country .when i go on holiday i dont want the ritz by the way you got the same view from silver seas as you would staying at the jamaica grande for loads more money its experiencing the culture thats what its all about we ate at the local eateries and mixed with the lovely people.Hello to mr davis and barry at silver seas and all the other lovely staff . WE WILL BE BACK

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank jamaicanstyle
Reviewed 15 February 2008

If you are a young single guy and spending every night in town getting drunk and doing drugs and you don't care where you stay as long as it has a bed this is your place. If you are a couple or a family and you want a tv that works, a dvd player. a wash cloth and a clean room to stay in then you want to stay anywhere else but here. They even lied about their being not cable for the tv because they said that all the cable was down on the island [ then I went across the street and saw a tv on and asked about the cable and they were enjoying it just fine] then if this is what you want for a vacation this is where you should stay. If you want your hair braided for $50 when you can get it here for $25 and you want a hotel driver to take you shopping and he drives two short blocks and charges you $20 and if you want to be taken to a market at the top of the hill where the prices are 2-3 times higher than two blocks in the other dirction at the duty free shops, then this is where you should vacation. If you want to have the driver assign someone to follow you every step that you take and get a cut while you are being taken advantage of, and in some cases they block your exit from their booths and you have to be a little physical to get out, then this is where you should vacation. OUT OF ABOUT 70-100 ROOMS ONLY 22 OR SO CAN EVEN BE WALKED INTO BECAUSE ALL THE CEILINGS ARE FALIING DOWN ON YOU AND WATER POURING AND BATHROOMS NOT WORKING, This is not the place you would want to stay for even $50 a night. I have traveled in over 25 nations over the past 40 years and this is one of the absolute worst that i have eer encountered in my travels. I have been to Jamaica at lest 6-10 times over the past 30 years and never have I stay ina place that looked so good on line and was so filthy upon arrival and a staff that will take care of you [ and not how you want to be, but not how you want to be.]The food is more than the cost of the room and not good at all, and the cost depends on who waits on you and the same meal can be $3-4 or more higher or lower depending on who waits on you. You can eat for half or more as much just by leaving and walking a block or two. It is evident that the little staff there could give a flying flip as to the condition of the place. THE FLOOR IN THE ROOM LOOKED SO NICE AND CLEAN UNTIL I WOKE UP THE NEXT MORNING AND MY WIFE screamed about what was wrong with my feet. YOU SEE, THEY WERE TOTALLY BLACK ON THE BOTTOM BECAUSE I HAD GOTTEN UP 3-4 TIMES IN THE NIGHT AND THE FLOOR WAS SO FITHY THAT THEY TURNED MY FEET BLACK. HOWEVER, THEY DID MOP THE BATHROOM ONE TIME THE WEEK WE WERE THERE.THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CONDEMNED. If you come to Jamaica it is well worth the sacrifice to paying $100 or $200 a night and staying where there is tv, and a phone in the room, and cable, and CLEAN rooms. It is well worth it.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveling-preacher
Reviewed 24 January 2008

Silver Seas Hotel is fantistic...I love this place, a real down to earth local hotel with a genuine caring and loving Jamaican staff. They could not be more friendly or helpful, my wishes were their desire...No Problem, just ask.

Everyone was very courteous and the chef granted some special requests for us to have Jamaican Specialties...cornmeal porridge, pumpkin soup, meat patty, curry goat, stew beef and many more. The staff was cordial 24-7,as the rum flowed and songs were sung and we danced til dawn. There is a great pool and beach, hotel is close to downtown and The Jerk Centre; a private car and driver were available to us anytime.

Our 10 day stay, was a very very good time and a great getaway; this was my 9th trip to Jamaica and the Jamaicans refer to me as a "Jamerican".

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank rummrunner
Reviewed 23 May 2007

I Love this place. Room 113 will always be precious to me but room 108 has better cable lol. I would stay there in a hear beat anytime as long as I have platinum and turbo is there. This place made me fall in love all over again and it was a good feeling. Will never forget Silver Seas. so if you're just looking for a place to chill and escape your worries go to Silver Seas.

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank TurbosPlatinum
Reviewed 27 February 2007

I was thinking about this review on my flight back from Jamaica. I wanted to be as fair as possible while being honest. Here's what I thought -- this hotel was not worth the cheap rate.

The hotel has stunning views and the veranda we had, courtesy of staying on the first floor, was awesome. That;s about it.

We stayed in room 108. As we walked in we thought, wow...it's spacious and not that bad. Then we noticed the terrible mold/mildew on the corner floor of the bathroom/hall. So, we'll start there:

The bathroom smelled funky. The windows were paneled with no screens and we didnt feel safe opening them. The shower curtain had mildew all over it and the bathroom just looked filthy in general. THERE IS A TOWEL SHORTAGE and my best decision was to bring my own bath towel. Thank goodness! My two girlfriends had tiny dingy towels that got wet with the first wipe of their arms. We found 1 cockroach whom we named Lenny in the bathroom on our last night.

We had a large walk in closet that was nice, but it reeked with the mildew/mold smell, which smelled like feces.

We had 2 lamps in our rooms, both looked like they came from a dirty cheap motel -- kind of like what you see in the movies. But they served their purpose.

The paint in our room was peeling and there were a ton of dead bugs on our ceiling. Our airconditioner sat precariously in the wall near the ceiling with no caulking or anything -- ie, there was space around the air conditioner, which allowed bugs in. On the veranda, the tray that the air conditioner was sitting on was falling apart, which scared me to death because the air conditioner could have fallen at any moment.

The beds were nasty, but I didnt bring my own sheets as another reviewer suggested. The comforter was nasty and I did bring my own pillow and throw blanket, which was awesome considering that the pillows on the bed were old couch pillows.

There is no phone in any of the rooms and TV is inconsistent.

The pool area was so ghetto -- they had a "braid corner," and Precious approaches you the minute she sees you so she can braid your hair. We didnt want to lay by the pool because of the people -- who werent staying at this hotel -- that were around. We just didnt feel comfortable.

There is no beach at this hotel -- there is sand and a concrete wall with precarious steps leading into the water. We did not partake in the "beach" experience.

We regretted not paying the $100 or $200 more to stay at an all-inclusive hotel. We would have felt much safer and more comfortable if we had.

Stayed: February 2007