“Authentic Jamaica”

Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Kansas City, MO
“Authentic Jamaica”
Reviewed 6 April 2010

For those travelers who, like me, enjoy a more authentic and unique cultural experience while traveling, Silver Seas is a wonderful and well-priced option for your Caribbean adventures. Although Silver Seas is no luxury all-inclusive, its location, charm, and amazingly affordable prices make it a gem in the rough.

The hotel’s most amazing feature is its location—nearly every room, if not every room, has a breathtaking view of the ocean and is only a few steps away from the beach. Also, Silver Seas is a leisurely walk from many of Ochi’s best restaurants, shopping, and entertainment.

The hotel’s amenities are very modest, but are generally clean and safe. In addition to the small beach and dock area, there is a modestly sized pool, as well as a small bar and restaurant. The rooms are starting to show their age and sometimes the AC or water can be a bit finicky. Don’t count on having a TV in your room, or a minifridge, safe, or any other similar amenity that pricier establishments may boast. But remember that you are paying far less than you would at many other local hotels and you booked this hotel for an authentic adventure, right?

Overall: This is one of my favorite hotels. It is no-frills and a bit on the roughing-it side, but it functions perfectly as a “home base” for exploring and enjoying all that authentic Ocho Rios has to offer.

TIPS for an awesome and thrifty Silver Seas vacation:

- Make friends with the staff.

- Buy your snorkel gear at Wal-Mart before you go and leave it behind as a gift for one of your new friends.

- Go to Evita’s! Evita’s is home to some of the best Italian food on the globe, and many stars have visited over the years (you never know who you’ll run into there). It is VERY reasonably priced! (Think “Olive Garden” price range.) And as of the last time we were there, they offer complimentary shuttle service to/from Silver Seas.

- Try a Juci Patti.

- For those of you looking for a super-frugal vaca—buy some of your meals from the local supermarkets (i.e. a loaf of raisin bread for breakfasts, fresh fruit for snacks, etc.) and bring some of your meals from home (i.e. a box of cereal, canned tuna, and good ol’ PB&J).

- There is a cruise ship shopping “village” also within walking distance from Silver Seas. If you want to see a movie, like to gawk at the uber tourists straight off the ship, or you MUST visit every one of Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritavilles, then add this destination to your list.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank SummerGirl8888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
beachlove2000
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Breathtaking ocean view from my room, within walking distance of Ochi, but secluded enough for a relaxing get-away, freshwater pool alonside the hotel's private beach, and exhillerating water sports that my entire enjoyed. the friendly and helpful staff ensured that we not only enjoyed our stay at the Silver Seas but in the beautiful Island of Jamaica as well. i enjoyed my stay at the Silver Seas hotel so much that I would recommend it to all of my family and friends.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank beachlove2000
New York
Reviewed 19 March 2010

Everything was surpisingly incredibly wonderful for the lowest price in Ocho Rios! The view was amazing. The blue carribean in the front and the mountains in the back. wonderful staff--fun and helpful and konw everything about Jamaica. We traveled throughout the island and staying at Silver Seas was the highlight of our trip. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travelmoneky21
Vancouver
Reviewed 18 March 2010

OK. This hotel has major history. It's actually beautiful although it's obvious that it has seen better days. My Jamaican cousins were worried that I would be unaccustomed to this kind of place -- but I'm a world traveller and have stayed in many worse places in N America and Europe. I paid $50 US per night last May because I stayed for eight nights and every fourth night was free. We swam in the pool, went snorkelling along the reef with Dennis (a very kind gentleman with a boat that uses Silver Seas beach for his water recreation business), ate in the local restaurants, took drives along the coast, to the green grotto caves, and went to the nearby market. For the record, I am half-Jamaican half-English but I'm white and my daughter is completely caucasian with straight blonde hair and blues eyes. We had lots of time to ourselves and never once did I feel unsafe for either her or myself. While at the hotel, we loved chatting with Nani by the poolside, with Barry and all the staff at the poolside bar and got to meet many locals who were coming and going. The hotel really has a good family feel to it. I really wish that the owners of this hotel would put some money back into it though. It has such incredible history and some beautiful decorative details that need repairing. Errol Flyn (excuse spelling) and Mick Jagger used to hang out there in the early days of the hotel and you can see why. It has beautiful verandas, vine covered staircases to the beaches, fire pits built into the cliffs and a wonderful dock where we met so many great people. The menu is limited but tasty and cheap. And the beer and rum is dirt cheap. If they fixed up the rooms a little bit with paint, better mattresses, internet and maybe a small fridge for ice and drinks, this would be the best, most authentic place in Ochi. I'd highly recommend this if you're the well seasoned budget traveller type. And not the type to do the all-inclusive resort.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank canadianjamaicangirl
connecticut
Reviewed 4 March 2010

People do not stay at this hotel. I was over charged for an extra night that I did not stay and was told that my money would be refunded to my account. Now it's weeks later and the refund has not shown up. The bank says it only takes five days to be refunded. The workers at the hotel say there is nothing that they can do because it has already been refunded. They are crooks. Also the linen was dirty and old. I would never stay here again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank mgayle84

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

St. Louis
Reviewed 9 February 2010

OK. If the negative reviews here have you warned off, I get it---
don't come here if you need an upscale manicured setting, or if unfiltered Jamaican
society near the taxi-stand across the street offends you(actually, I've witnessed things there that made me LOL, but that's another story...).

However, I've been coming to the island for nearly 30 years, and the Silver Seas is one of my choices for inexpensive accomodations. The view from their balconies of the ocean have always captivated me, rain or shine. The hotel has obviously seen better days, but then, so has the world at large, true?? The hotel is located on a secondary road (or alley, you might say) running parallel to the coastline of Ochi leaving town. Park your car in the circular drive, and if you enjoy Indian cuisine, the fabulous (& slightly pricey) rooftop restaurant A Passage To India is a five minute stroll away.

The shower is strong and hot if you need it, the AC in general works, the breakfasts I've had there are great(really), and I like the staff. I travel for business and pleasure in Jamaica, and have developed a feel for physical danger when it is present. I haven't had that feeling here, but again this is not where I would recommend a young dewy-eyed couple of 'kids' visiting JA the 1st time to stay, especially if they have visions of island luxury. Still, the view of the ocean from the terrace and pool area is one fixed firmly in my mind, & on that terrace I've had enjoyable conversations with visitors from Europe who did not seem nearly as squimish about this place as some of the voices here...

It's the sort of place Graham Greene would know and understand, realizing that, while it's by far not the best, it's well well better than the worst.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank Foreign-Man
nyc
Reviewed 7 January 2010

If Silver Seas is offering you a free reservation dont even consider it. I had the displeasure of staying in that rat hole in December I left my car in their "secure" parking lot in the middle of the day for half an hour to get something from my room....on my return the car and all its contents were gone...and yes the car was locked and alarm armed.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple