“Silver Seas is great for the money”

Silver Seas Resort Hotel
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I stayed at the Silver Seas Hotel in Ochi in December with my boyfriend and we had a great experience. We stayed at another hotel the first night and were very unhappy when we checked in at the Silver Seas. The staff was friendly and the views outside on our balcony were gorgeous. People were snorkeling right in back. The room was simple but had everything we needed. A/C, hot water, nice views, quietness and cleanliness.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 May 2010

i checked in at the silver seas on 05/07/10 and was encounter by a front desk clerk on her cellphone who didnt even acknowledge me. i had to wait until she finish her conversation for her to check me in. upon entering my room i was please with the room but i look in the bathroom and had no towels and no remote control for the tv and the spread on one of the beds was stain. i went to the front desk and told the employee which gave me this response; are you sure???? i told her that she could look for herself and she called hskp. to bring me my towels and told me that she didnt have any more remotes in the entire property. this hotel was not even half full but still 3 times i ask if a remote control could be taken out of an empty room and the answer was always no!!!. the housekeeping service was terrible,they did nothing but empty trash but did not leave a bag for the trash can, no towels again,no sweeping,no beds made and the housekeeper was sitting in front of our room eating lunch claiming she had done the room already. pool was dirty staff looked shabby and very rude. this might be a cheap hotel money wise but not a bargain when the service is so terrible. will never go back

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank nvcbga
Reviewed 18 April 2010

My Fiance and I went for a relaxing vacation, and that is exactly what we got. We loved the hotel, it told stories. The staff was wonderful, Davis, Ivan, Nanny, Lovey, and Precious. They were all very helpful, caring wonderful people. The rooms were large, and clean. The air conditioner worked great, to good actually. We turned it off and enjoyed the fresh air coming off the ocean. The TV worked fine, again hardly a use for it. We always had clean towels. You do need to take shompoos and soaps, or you can have one of the great staff grab some at the store right up the street. Breakfast was heavenly. This is one of those places you can go and feel comletely at home. We are already planning our trip for next Feb. Silver Seas was the perfect choice for us. We were left alone when we wanted to be. We also met an awesome couple looking for the same things we were. Maybe it takes certain kind of people to stay here. Going with the flow, easy going peaceful kind of people.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jwoodworth6
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I had a great stay at this hotel. The rooms are really clean, large and the balconies have great views. Snorkeling right off shore. The staff are really nice and contrary to whats been said here and they are honest. I forgot to lock my room one day and nobody bothered about it.( I did bring my own comfort bag of bedding and pillow, and an electric cooler. ) It helped alot. The hotel people go out of their way to help you. The showers were the best ever. I can hardly wait to go back. Its old and a bit run down, but then so am i. If you go give Nannie my best, a truly great lady!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2010

For those travelers who, like me, enjoy a more authentic and unique cultural experience while traveling, Silver Seas is a wonderful and well-priced option for your Caribbean adventures. Although Silver Seas is no luxury all-inclusive, its location, charm, and amazingly affordable prices make it a gem in the rough.

The hotel’s most amazing feature is its location—nearly every room, if not every room, has a breathtaking view of the ocean and is only a few steps away from the beach. Also, Silver Seas is a leisurely walk from many of Ochi’s best restaurants, shopping, and entertainment.

The hotel’s amenities are very modest, but are generally clean and safe. In addition to the small beach and dock area, there is a modestly sized pool, as well as a small bar and restaurant. The rooms are starting to show their age and sometimes the AC or water can be a bit finicky. Don’t count on having a TV in your room, or a minifridge, safe, or any other similar amenity that pricier establishments may boast. But remember that you are paying far less than you would at many other local hotels and you booked this hotel for an authentic adventure, right?

Overall: This is one of my favorite hotels. It is no-frills and a bit on the roughing-it side, but it functions perfectly as a “home base” for exploring and enjoying all that authentic Ocho Rios has to offer.

TIPS for an awesome and thrifty Silver Seas vacation:

- Make friends with the staff.

- Buy your snorkel gear at Wal-Mart before you go and leave it behind as a gift for one of your new friends.

- Go to Evita’s! Evita’s is home to some of the best Italian food on the globe, and many stars have visited over the years (you never know who you’ll run into there). It is VERY reasonably priced! (Think “Olive Garden” price range.) And as of the last time we were there, they offer complimentary shuttle service to/from Silver Seas.

- Try a Juci Patti.

- For those of you looking for a super-frugal vaca—buy some of your meals from the local supermarkets (i.e. a loaf of raisin bread for breakfasts, fresh fruit for snacks, etc.) and bring some of your meals from home (i.e. a box of cereal, canned tuna, and good ol’ PB&J).

- There is a cruise ship shopping “village” also within walking distance from Silver Seas. If you want to see a movie, like to gawk at the uber tourists straight off the ship, or you MUST visit every one of Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritavilles, then add this destination to your list.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank SummerGirl8888
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Breathtaking ocean view from my room, within walking distance of Ochi, but secluded enough for a relaxing get-away, freshwater pool alonside the hotel's private beach, and exhillerating water sports that my entire enjoyed. the friendly and helpful staff ensured that we not only enjoyed our stay at the Silver Seas but in the beautiful Island of Jamaica as well. i enjoyed my stay at the Silver Seas hotel so much that I would recommend it to all of my family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank beachlove2000
Reviewed 19 March 2010

Everything was surpisingly incredibly wonderful for the lowest price in Ocho Rios! The view was amazing. The blue carribean in the front and the mountains in the back. wonderful staff--fun and helpful and konw everything about Jamaica. We traveled throughout the island and staying at Silver Seas was the highlight of our trip. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends