“silver seas is an okay place to stay”

Silver Seas Resort Hotel
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Myself and partner who is resident in Jamaica spent a week at this hotel the scenery from the hotel is beautiful and it is clear in it's day the hotel itself was once very beautiful. It needs updating like any other hotel. The staff save one were all friendly and helpful. Ladies beware of a member of staff called Kevin he tried to poison my relationship with my partner by telling me of untrue sightings of my partner when he was at work all in the hopeless vain in trying to date me. My only other complaint is there was no remote for the TV, and on a few occassions our bedding was stained, twice during our stay the electric shut down the first night we were given candles the second night we were told there were no candles or torches and there was nothing they could do for any of their guests, I could not hack a second night without light so myself and partner left. My partner is still trying to get a refund. it is an okay hotel for the price you pay providing the hotel has electricity for you complete stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 July 2010

This was THE place to be.. decades ago. Now it's crumbling, has a poor reputation for security (other guests suffered losses while not in the rooms), and is not the haven it should be.

The price was easily the best and the views from the bar, pool and man made beach really are great. I had an upstairs room and the view from the decent sized balcony would have been way better if the trees had been cut back a bit.

The room was a nice size and the tv was working fine though no remote was to be found. The bathroom was ok too. Nothing is glamourously decorated and is just about kept clean but also there was no cause for me to avoid areas of the room or clean myself so you might be happy accepting it at a cheap rate.

The staff are generally friendly and helpful. There is a guy who runs a water sports and trips service from the man made beach on site and unfortunately I found him pushy and I was not comfortable to relax on the same beach or even in the pool. again if you're happy to constantly say no then the views are great and the rest of the staff are friendly!

It's not a complete loss but it's definitely living in the shadow of former gloríes. You get what you pay for?

1  Thank Damian B
Reviewed 18 June 2010

We stayed in the Silver Seas in May 2010 for 10 days. When we read the other reviews, we were a bit worried about staying here.
Firstly, we had a problem with our flight and arrived one day later we contacted the hotel to informed them and they were very understanding and told us that our rooms would still be available which put our minds at rest. We arrived in the evening and was swiftly checked in. Our rooms were very spacious and the balcony view was absolutely breath taking overlooking the sea. The rooms were very clean, the sheets and towels were gleaming white and was changed everyday, which I was very impressed with. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and accommodating especially Carol who was always smiling and helped me with a question that I had so thank Carol for you help. We eat out most evenings but on Sunday, we decided to have dinner in the hotel and to our surprise the food was wonderful and tasty especially the jerk chicken and fruit punch which you have to try and the meal was reasonable priced so try the food at the hotel. The pool at the hotel is lovely we had many afternoons just laying and sunbathing there. You can also go to a few beaches near to the hotel so ask Carol she will tell you were to go.

I recommend staying at the Silver Seas it is one of the first hotel that was built in Ocho Rios so it has a lot of character. I will be definitely staying at the Silver Seas again when I go back to Jamaica next year.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I stayed at the Silver Seas Hotel in Ochi in December with my boyfriend and we had a great experience. We stayed at another hotel the first night and were very unhappy when we checked in at the Silver Seas. The staff was friendly and the views outside on our balcony were gorgeous. People were snorkeling right in back. The room was simple but had everything we needed. A/C, hot water, nice views, quietness and cleanliness.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2010

i checked in at the silver seas on 05/07/10 and was encounter by a front desk clerk on her cellphone who didnt even acknowledge me. i had to wait until she finish her conversation for her to check me in. upon entering my room i was please with the room but i look in the bathroom and had no towels and no remote control for the tv and the spread on one of the beds was stain. i went to the front desk and told the employee which gave me this response; are you sure???? i told her that she could look for herself and she called hskp. to bring me my towels and told me that she didnt have any more remotes in the entire property. this hotel was not even half full but still 3 times i ask if a remote control could be taken out of an empty room and the answer was always no!!!. the housekeeping service was terrible,they did nothing but empty trash but did not leave a bag for the trash can, no towels again,no sweeping,no beds made and the housekeeper was sitting in front of our room eating lunch claiming she had done the room already. pool was dirty staff looked shabby and very rude. this might be a cheap hotel money wise but not a bargain when the service is so terrible. will never go back

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank nvcbga
Reviewed 18 April 2010

My Fiance and I went for a relaxing vacation, and that is exactly what we got. We loved the hotel, it told stories. The staff was wonderful, Davis, Ivan, Nanny, Lovey, and Precious. They were all very helpful, caring wonderful people. The rooms were large, and clean. The air conditioner worked great, to good actually. We turned it off and enjoyed the fresh air coming off the ocean. The TV worked fine, again hardly a use for it. We always had clean towels. You do need to take shompoos and soaps, or you can have one of the great staff grab some at the store right up the street. Breakfast was heavenly. This is one of those places you can go and feel comletely at home. We are already planning our trip for next Feb. Silver Seas was the perfect choice for us. We were left alone when we wanted to be. We also met an awesome couple looking for the same things we were. Maybe it takes certain kind of people to stay here. Going with the flow, easy going peaceful kind of people.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jwoodworth6
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I had a great stay at this hotel. The rooms are really clean, large and the balconies have great views. Snorkeling right off shore. The staff are really nice and contrary to whats been said here and they are honest. I forgot to lock my room one day and nobody bothered about it.( I did bring my own comfort bag of bedding and pillow, and an electric cooler. ) It helped alot. The hotel people go out of their way to help you. The showers were the best ever. I can hardly wait to go back. Its old and a bit run down, but then so am i. If you go give Nannie my best, a truly great lady!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo