“Enjoyed once again”

Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
north coast
“Enjoyed once again”
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Silver Seas is not for everyone, But Ideal for us once again. Very laid back with an Irie vibe.

Wonderful room and fabulous veiw.
my only problem is that the mattress' are old as are the linens.

Highly recommend the resturant if arranged with Barry. It was one of our best meals while in town. Out last night there and we were shocked at what we had been missing here. It was usually not even open in the evenings but Barry the Bar manager has taken over the resturant and made it a special evperience.

I mentioned the veiw being beautiful but partially blocked by the folage and they came later and trimmed it all up.

Bring a collapsable cooler and they will bring you ice in the mornings. the Hi-Lo Grocery and an Internet and Cambio all a the the entrance to the property.

Cant wait to return!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Went for my son's wedding!
I checked out the reviews on tripadvisor and decided to go for it. When I pulled up to the hotel I wondered if I had made a mistake, the entrance looked a bit worn out, but once inside, this hotel's faded glory shone through. My room was very spacious and clean; it had a small TV but no remote control. The grounds are beautiful and serene, the scenery stunning.

The location is perfect, a few steps down the lane and your in the middle of Ochi. Many locals and foreign family members of locals stay here. Met some very interesting people and had long chats at breakfast. I ate breakfast at the hotel a few times, it's good and reasonable, they'll make what you want.

The staff are very friendly and accomodating, Barry, Paulette, Davis(not sure if he works there) and Percy; housekeeping were great, they supplied fresh towels everyday.

Conclusion: For the price you can't beat this hotel; yes it's basic and a bit worn but so am I.
If you want to experience old Jamaica this is the place.

Tips:
Not wheelchair accessible (lots of steps)
R/T airport transfers get Viator, under $40 www.viator.com, they were great.
Cell phone charges are criminal, I got my phone unlocked at the market across the street and bought a Digicel sim card and minutes; perfect!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Celticfemale
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Dirty, run down, bath broken, toilet blocked, beach? what beach?

We had a 3 inch cockroach in the room, I couldn't bear to use the toilet, the noise around the hotel was unbearable. We went to check out the restaurant and no staff were there (although I would not have eaten there) We checked the bar and there were no staff there either.

I've travelled to a number of places, and stayed in several hotels, this is by far the worst hotel I've ever been to. Thank goodness our other 2 hotels in Jamaica more than made up for this

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Celticfemale

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Reviewed 7 October 2010

Nice sea view but poor service. We booked two rooms for our family. One room had a water leak and our son who is asmathic booked into a neighbouring hotel. There was water all on the floor. The Manager refused us any compensation and gave us the run around. The staff were unprofessional. No please or thank you and very casual in their approach and manner.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rjamaica
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Myself and partner who is resident in Jamaica spent a week at this hotel the scenery from the hotel is beautiful and it is clear in it's day the hotel itself was once very beautiful. It needs updating like any other hotel. The staff save one were all friendly and helpful. Ladies beware of a member of staff called Kevin he tried to poison my relationship with my partner by telling me of untrue sightings of my partner when he was at work all in the hopeless vain in trying to date me. My only other complaint is there was no remote for the TV, and on a few occassions our bedding was stained, twice during our stay the electric shut down the first night we were given candles the second night we were told there were no candles or torches and there was nothing they could do for any of their guests, I could not hack a second night without light so myself and partner left. My partner is still trying to get a refund. it is an okay hotel for the price you pay providing the hotel has electricity for you complete stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2010

This was THE place to be.. decades ago. Now it's crumbling, has a poor reputation for security (other guests suffered losses while not in the rooms), and is not the haven it should be.

The price was easily the best and the views from the bar, pool and man made beach really are great. I had an upstairs room and the view from the decent sized balcony would have been way better if the trees had been cut back a bit.

The room was a nice size and the tv was working fine though no remote was to be found. The bathroom was ok too. Nothing is glamourously decorated and is just about kept clean but also there was no cause for me to avoid areas of the room or clean myself so you might be happy accepting it at a cheap rate.

The staff are generally friendly and helpful. There is a guy who runs a water sports and trips service from the man made beach on site and unfortunately I found him pushy and I was not comfortable to relax on the same beach or even in the pool. again if you're happy to constantly say no then the views are great and the rest of the staff are friendly!

It's not a complete loss but it's definitely living in the shadow of former gloríes. You get what you pay for?

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank drb247
Reviewed 18 June 2010

We stayed in the Silver Seas in May 2010 for 10 days. When we read the other reviews, we were a bit worried about staying here.
Firstly, we had a problem with our flight and arrived one day later we contacted the hotel to informed them and they were very understanding and told us that our rooms would still be available which put our minds at rest. We arrived in the evening and was swiftly checked in. Our rooms were very spacious and the balcony view was absolutely breath taking overlooking the sea. The rooms were very clean, the sheets and towels were gleaming white and was changed everyday, which I was very impressed with. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and accommodating especially Carol who was always smiling and helped me with a question that I had so thank Carol for you help. We eat out most evenings but on Sunday, we decided to have dinner in the hotel and to our surprise the food was wonderful and tasty especially the jerk chicken and fruit punch which you have to try and the meal was reasonable priced so try the food at the hotel. The pool at the hotel is lovely we had many afternoons just laying and sunbathing there. You can also go to a few beaches near to the hotel so ask Carol she will tell you were to go.

I recommend staying at the Silver Seas it is one of the first hotel that was built in Ocho Rios so it has a lot of character. I will be definitely staying at the Silver Seas again when I go back to Jamaica next year.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends