“Family”
Review of Village Hotel

Village Hotel
Ranked #27 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 29 August 2013

When when son made the choice and I look at the reviews I was upset, we try to get our money back but could not. With that said they rooms is outdated but it serve our family purpose the staff was friendly our needs were met we even had the chef prepare special breakfast for us for a very low price. We enjoy the pool which was clean. The tv didn't work but they came and fixed it. The location is perfect. I would stay there again..the music next door was very loud and annoying since I am a Christian, but I know the hotel has no choice they say they have talk to them about it. But I am Jamaicans and I know how they can be about their music. I like the place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Reuni0n2013

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Located in the middle of Ocho, but no real reason why you would want to be in the middle of Ocho. Right next to one of the most disgusting, putrid canals you will ever see. Service is poor, rooms are old and decayed, there is just nothing good to day, except that the public areas are okay. And it's not even all that cheap. This should be a $50 a night hotel, and I actually paid $130. Just don't do it!

Room Tip: No room is good here.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SoloTravelerPhoenix
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I was looking for a place to stay for a week that provided me with room and bathroom and it did the job. The AC was good and the room had a kitchenette which was useful for snacks and keeping my drinks cool. The staff were very friendly and I did not have a reservation and was able to check in immediately. Being in the centre of the town was great as I was able to walk to all amenities. The room had not outside views but was very quiet and the parties that took place locally were not a bother.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2013

myself and some friends stayed at the hotel for two nights as we were down for one of my friend's wedding and we were the groomsmen. We are pretty basic individuals so were did not expect anything spectacular from the room - we just needed a place to stay. The only things we required was a working air conditioner and WIFI - however none of these requirements were not met.

Although the room did have cable in the room, not having a properly functioning airco made it very uncomfortable at times - as you can imagine with three to four grown men being in the room at any point in time. The units were noticeably old and in dire need of servicing.

As it relates to the wifi - we got the name of the router and the password but to our dismay, apparently the WIFI was not powerful enough to get to our room! This was a big inconvenience as I sometimes have to send emails from my laptop and my friend who has his own law firm has to answer calls from clients. we had to make due with the Groom's phone which allowed us to use the internet.

The pool was never full and that weekend was particularly hot so we were left to suffer in the heat in a room with an airco that did not work properly.

Would not recommend for a vacation - only for the purposes of having a bed for the night.

Room Tip: Pick a room closer to the front desk so you can get WIFI!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Village Hotel in Ocho Rios from Oct. 19 - Oct. 28 2012. I found this hotel on a legitimate website and it is representing Jamaicain tourism.
The entire time we were there nobody ever cleaned out or treated the pool. The one day we wanted to go for a swim my boyfriend had to clean out the pool himself.
There was also repairs being done on the roof that we weren't informed of beforehand. We were woken up in the morning to pounding over our heads and little pieces of woods actually falling on our heads. We had to go and ask to be moved to a room away from the construction.
Now to the main point of my complaint. I understand that no one could have known that a Hurricane would have occured during my visit. But the Village Hotel was totally unprepared for this situation. We lost power during the afternnoon of Wednesday Oct.24. The hotel had no backup generator so the entire place was in darkness when nightfall arrived. There wasn't even any emergency lighting in the hallways. At 9pm we were given one candle because thats all they had. We were staying in a rooom with a kitchenette and on Thursday had to throw away all of our food because the fridge had been without power for one day at this point.Power was restored on Friday but up to when I left on Sunday there still wasn't any hot water in the room.
On a couple different occasions my boyfriend went to the front desk asking to speak to someone about getting some kind of compensation for our lost money spent on spoiled food and to make up for our general discomfort. He was consistantly told that there was no one on site to deal with our issues.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Michele N
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My stay at this hotel was great. Staff was very friendly. Jamaican breakfast was just lovely. Ackee and saltfish with plantains..'superb... Hotel is in the heart of the town so it was very easy to get around time.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Disgusting cockroach and other bugs infested place. We got to the hotel late, the security gaurd was the one who checked us inand couldnt find our reservatons. He had to call the receptionist at home to find the reservations. no breakfast the next morning znd the cook was very rude. We had to go on the street to get breakfast. The room wasnt cleaned the first day we had to ask for it to be cleaned and there was no fresh towels available. the place was very musky and the walk to the room with our suitcases was a long and windind one. Wouldnt recommend it if it was the last one. I had to check my clothes to make sure no bugs or roaches were in them. I had to call front desk to turn up the water pressure and hot water, the only good thing was the AC

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends