“Quaint Hotel”

Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
New
“Quaint Hotel”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

The Village hotel is a quaint place to stay. From the exterior it appears small but is actually pretty spacious inside. The staff were all very accommodating, everyone from management, front desk, maid service, to the cook and security guard were super hospitable. They made the stay for myself, my infant & my mom very pleasant. It's proximity to the town and beach made it very easy to get around.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is not a resort or a fancy hotel but it's clean and the staff are very pleasent and helpful. The price is fair and they do offer free coffee and for a $4 additional fee, breakfast. There's a nice restaurant next door called The Mongoose and they offer a variety of good food.
There are several worthwhile sites near the town; Dunn's River Falls, Turtle River (used to be Enchanted Gardens) and the Fern Gully. The gully is just a drive that takes you into the mountains and through an area of beautiful ferns. On the road to Turtle River is an excellent Italian restaurant called Evita's that offers a fantastic view of the city of Ocho Rios & the sea.
Those are the good parts. The town it self is very dirty, crowded and has a lot of outdoor venders who are pushy for you to look at what they offer. Even the locals, when they spot a tourist want to show you where to buy something then expect money in exchange (this actually happened only once). As long as one does not venture into the downtown area it's not a bad place to visit. I will say this about Jamaica in general. I had a rental car and driving there was a religous experience to say the least! I had never driven on the left side of the road with a steering wheel on the right side of the vehicle. That took a while to get used to but I made it accident free for the full 11 days. Ha, and it's said women can't drive!

Room Tip: In spite of the town, the attractions nearby are worth seeing
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ann W
Bethlehem
Reviewed 30 October 2013

the hotel is ok I found the common areas to be very T he staff was very nice and helpful ... I felt the rooms had bugs i would suggest that you check the bed first and make sure your air conditioner works...i would stay there again if i needed too

Room Tip: check the air conditioner first before you lug your luggage to the room..DEFINATLY PULL BACK THE BED...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracey J
Wimauma, Florida
Reviewed 29 August 2013

When when son made the choice and I look at the reviews I was upset, we try to get our money back but could not. With that said they rooms is outdated but it serve our family purpose the staff was friendly our needs were met we even had the chef prepare special breakfast for us for a very low price. We enjoy the pool which was clean. The tv didn't work but they came and fixed it. The location is perfect. I would stay there again..the music next door was very loud and annoying since I am a Christian, but I know the hotel has no choice they say they have talk to them about it. But I am Jamaicans and I know how they can be about their music. I like the place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Reuni0n2013
Phoenix
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Located in the middle of Ocho, but no real reason why you would want to be in the middle of Ocho. Right next to one of the most disgusting, putrid canals you will ever see. Service is poor, rooms are old and decayed, there is just nothing good to day, except that the public areas are okay. And it's not even all that cheap. This should be a $50 a night hotel, and I actually paid $130. Just don't do it!

Room Tip: No room is good here.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SoloTravelerPhoenix

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

UK
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I was looking for a place to stay for a week that provided me with room and bathroom and it did the job. The AC was good and the room had a kitchenette which was useful for snacks and keeping my drinks cool. The staff were very friendly and I did not have a reservation and was able to check in immediately. Being in the centre of the town was great as I was able to walk to all amenities. The room had not outside views but was very quiet and the parties that took place locally were not a bother.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 4 July 2013

myself and some friends stayed at the hotel for two nights as we were down for one of my friend's wedding and we were the groomsmen. We are pretty basic individuals so were did not expect anything spectacular from the room - we just needed a place to stay. The only things we required was a working air conditioner and WIFI - however none of these requirements were not met.

Although the room did have cable in the room, not having a properly functioning airco made it very uncomfortable at times - as you can imagine with three to four grown men being in the room at any point in time. The units were noticeably old and in dire need of servicing.

As it relates to the wifi - we got the name of the router and the password but to our dismay, apparently the WIFI was not powerful enough to get to our room! This was a big inconvenience as I sometimes have to send emails from my laptop and my friend who has his own law firm has to answer calls from clients. we had to make due with the Groom's phone which allowed us to use the internet.

The pool was never full and that weekend was particularly hot so we were left to suffer in the heat in a room with an airco that did not work properly.

Would not recommend for a vacation - only for the purposes of having a bed for the night.

Room Tip: Pick a room closer to the front desk so you can get WIFI!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends