“Nightmare on elm street”
Review of Village Hotel

Village Hotel
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
England
“Nightmare on elm street”
Reviewed 25 April 2009

What can I say, we planned to stay for 3 nights, it was the festive period, but ended the minute you stepped into the hotel. It was beibg refurbished, to which the owners failed to inform us, so the facilities (what little there was) were closed off. Yet they charged us full price. The continental breakfeast was a poor imitation of a slic of bread with jam!!. The rooms were dard and dank, no windows, you could not tell if it was day ot night, the bathroom tiles has ten years worth of scum!! - I could go on, all i will say is don't bother

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank sky09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
jamaica ocho rios
Reviewed 3 March 2009

My family and i stayed at the village hotel and we had lots of fun ,although this hotel does not have a beach front the staff interduced us to lots af tours that we exciting and fun and we were picked up each day at the hotel by the tour operators and return safely ,each morning we had the option of choosing between a jamaican breakfast oa an europian breafast free of cost and rather tasty ,the staff were plesant and would do any thing to make us happy espicially Dasha AT THE FRONT DESK i enjoyed every minute of my vacation ,the thing i hate about so of the reviews written are that they expect too much especially when they are paying little .if you want a great vacation where the people are real ,the food is really jamaican then the village hotel is the place to be .

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
atlanta
Reviewed 28 January 2009

When we reached the hotel, the staff was very courteous and pleasant. The hotel is small but an excellent alternative to these very large hotels.

The rooms were very clean and sports bar is a very nice.

Overall i loved my stay and i am planning to go back again

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jajaka
Jamaica
Reviewed 8 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and the experience was frightening. The AC did not work properly and when we reported it we were told that they had been having trouble with the unit for some time. On the last night I woke up in the middle of the night to find my door half open. I was puzzled, in the morning when I was about to go downstairs to purchase bfast I realized the my handbag with all our cash was missing. My bag was found two weeks later in a room nearby. I was not offered any compensation as my drivers licence, cash and all major credit and debit cards were missing. We had to leave the hotel without cash and only the gas in our car.

Stayed August 2008
3 Thank mayeday

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

London, England
Reviewed 13 August 2007

I have to agree with much of what has been written below. We wanted to stay in a local hotel, not one of the all-inclusives, and the Rough Guide suggested this was a good option - it's not! The thing that annoys me most is that I would have put up with a lot of the negatives about the place had it been a budget option but we paid $106 per night, which is a rip-off for what you get. In no particular order, my gripes are as follows: firstly, no windows - I cannot believe they don't tell you this when you book. They tell you you have to pay an extra $30 for a balcony, but they don't tell you that if you choose not to pay this, you don't get a window at all. Our room was an interior room, with a "window" looking out on the corridor with a light in it that shone permanently into our room and which was so bright I ended up taking the bulb out of it. Secondly, you are not allowed to keep the remote control for your AC unit - you have to contact reception to change the temperature in your room, and they switch the AC off altogether during the day. Thirdly, they play ridiculously loud music at all times of day at the pool bar, which is never open, so you have to ring down to reception to get a beer. Fourthly, the staff, whilst being very pleasant and friendly, are utterly incompetent - it took four separate visits to our room by the caretaker, and a change of room, before someone twigged that the reason our AC wasn't working was because they switch it off during the day. I'm sorry to be so harsh when the people there are very nice, but I really felt robbed by the amount it cost compared to the service you get.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Handbagvixen
London
Reviewed 14 May 2007

Where do I start?? I arrived at this hotel on Sunday 6 May and was staying for 4 nights on my own.

I have family who live in Ochi and have stayed at Rooms before. From the website I booked through this hotel seemed ok.

Well I checked in after a 6 hour Jamaican bus journey from St Thomas (if you have ever been on the bus you will know how I felt by the time I checked in!!). The check in went OK the receptionist even knew who I was! She then asked if I needed help with my bag to which I replied yes...and she carried it up the stairs.

When shown to my room I burst into laughter!

As soon as you open the door you almost trip into the bed....the bathroom was small and dark. But the 'best' bit about the hotel was that it is unique in that it has no windows!! I'm in the middle of Jamaica and I cant even see out outside...no window in bathroom and none in the main room.

I went downstairs and asked about leaving a deposit for the phone and was told that I could not do that and I needed to call down to reception to use the phone and they would dial the number for me...(have you ever heard such rubbish?) when I asked about direct dial (as stated on the website) I was told 'no hotel ever has direct dial phones'!

The one thing however that made me check out within the hour was asking for the remote control for the A/C.... I was told that if I wanted the temperature of the room changed I had to call downstairs and ask them to come up and change it. Now as a single women guest what would I do when I got cold in the middle of the night and wanted the temperature changed??

That was enough I checked out (after having to speak to someone on the phone first) it was all very strange. I went and booked myself into Rooms and had a nice break and a whole different experience.

Some one on a review said that you cannot expect the same standards as at home. But I am sorry it may be a poor country (both my parents grew up there) but some of them kids have better mobiles than mine they are just as able as we are and I am sure the hotel is not owned by a Jamaican!

In Short don’t waste your time or money check into Rooms on the Beach.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The whole experience
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
8 Thank chrissy78
London
Reviewed 10 May 2007

Myself and a girlfriend stayed here for the week from the 23rd - 30th April and were very disappointed when we arrived and saw the hotel, especially after dropping off other holiday makers and seeing the outside of their hotels and the way guests were greeted - you'll get none of this at Village.

Nonetheless, trying not to be put off by the outside, we went to our rooms. Yes, this was only a 2*, but the rooms were very basic. We had cable tv, although no channels showed clearly, and upon calling maintenance we were told there was nothing they could do. The shower worked when it felt like it, and it went from one extreme to the other. And as for the toilet.... we called maintenance after the toilet became blocked, who told us there was nothing wrong with it. This happened several times for the week!! The package included breakfast, but we were told repeatedly they had run out of food or the chef wasnt there - you really dont expect to be offered scrambled egg on toast for breakfast in Jamaica! Needless to say we didnt eat there once! There is a pool, although this was without water for half of the week!

There was one reception worker who was lovely (cant remember her name) but the rest of them seemed to need customer service skills - it is most upsetting to try and get a response from front desk when they are more interested in playing Solitaire on the PC!

We had run ins with the guy on reception who gave out our room number to a stranger (who ended up stalking us), so we were bombarded with calls. Security was not great, as this stalker also managed to get past security one evening and run up the stairs to find us, although thankfully security got him out eventually!

The room was cleaned daily, though there was a big patch of dirt under the sink that greeted me everytime I sat on the toilet and is probably still there!

On the plus side - the beds were very comfortable and there was air conditioning, however there is a club located near the back of the hotel and you could hear dancehall music till nearly 6am in the morning, and on one occasion we even heard gun shots!!

If on a budget I would recommend Rooms on the Beach which is a similar price - its ten times nicer! I will go back to Jamaica again but definitely not stay in this hotel!!

• Liked — Location and on site travbel company to book tours
  • Disliked — The room, attitude of some staff, food
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MightyMoLondon