“hotel for locals”

Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“hotel for locals”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2007

I stayed at this hotel in february 2007 because i had previously seen it on one of my regular holidays to jamaica I have previously stayed at Sunset Jamaica Grande but i wanted to go on a budget holiday as i was only in jamaica for 6 days.

The staff were friendly but this did not help to make my stay at this hotel more comfortable.
As on the third day of my holiday I had to move with my family right back up to the SJGrande SO THAT I COULD ENJOY MY USUAL COMFORTS.

This is the reason why I was dissatisfied with this accomadation:

I was placed in a Triple deluxe room (so they say) and i shared this room with two other adults who happen to be family.

In my opinion my room was clean as it was cleaned every day and the room was a very good size.

However, the AC worked adequately but could have been bettter.The room did not contain a window which made the room quite sufficating and claustrophobic.

This was not helped by the fact that i was told on the first day on my arrival by the receptionist that they did not have a remote control for my AC as they had given the last remote to another guest . The receptionist informed me that they had only one remote to turn on the AC in other rooms and that they needed the remote just incase they got some people who wanted to check in late.
(This incident happened at 12PM as i had arrived at this property from the airport at 11:45PM) .
Obviously , I did not take this news very well and had to argue and i threatened to leave the accomadation and i wanted a full refund if the situation was not sorted .
Thankfully the situation was quickly sorted and they some how found one.
ALSO
The toilets did not flush and this made the holiday even more uncomfortable as you had to take care when you used it (you need to read between the lines what i am trying to say).
ALSO
Although the room had a safety deposit box the reception could not find a key for the box, this resulted in me and my fellow companions feeling uncomfortable.
ALSO
The breakfast that came with the package when i booked this holiday was not varied .The breakfast was either a Jamaican dinner !! or egg and toast, also you was only allowed one small glass of orange juice and one cup of tea or coffee.
ALSO
There was a strong smell of weed, ganja or marijuana coming from most of the rooms near my room, this smell seaped into my room on many occasions.

I would only recommend this accomadation if you wanted to stay for one night in ochi rios, it is definately not recommended for long term stays.

As it contains alot of local men and foreign women who are looking for a one night stand.

In short it is like a knocking shop/ drugs den etc.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank Sannmarie9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
marietta, ga
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2007

We decided to stay in this hotel prior to our trip to Jamacia because I had not seen any bad review on this one. I am sorry I did not spend enough time on my research before making my reservation.

When my husband and I first arrived, the hotel looked old on the outside and I was hoping the inside would be better based on their pictures. I was wrong!!. The inside was very rundown -
1. the mattress was not comfortable; 2. You can't get hot water in the Kitchen; 3. The paint on the wall was peeling off; 4. the bathroom sink was not very stable; 5. I locked the bathroom door once and I could not get out because the lock was so rusty, my husband had to call someone at the front desk to hummar the lock to get me out; 6. The air conditioning unit was not cool enough in January, you can imagine how hot it would get in the summer; 7. I even found ants crawing in the kitchen floor and once in the diner on my breakfast plate; 8. The phone did not work for the first two days.

When I saw the ants and had problems with the phone, I asked to switch to a different room. They gave me a different room (the phone and hot water worked in this unit, but it was streaming hot when I first got there), but the deadbolt lock in this unit could not be locked from the outside. So I asked for another unit and they said they did not have any more room with the kitchen. We then demanded for a refund (I paid my travel agent upfront for 6 nights), then the manager sent someone up to fix the phone and gave us a bug spray. If I had not spent $91 a night there already, I would have checked out this hotel long time ago. Most people staying there were only for a night or two; I could see people coming and going very often.

The security guard and the lady at the internet cafe were the nicest hotal staff all around. The guy at the front desk charged me $16.38 for the phone calls that I made (average $1 per local call) and I gave him $20. He said he did not have change and sent someone to get a change at the gift shop. When he returned, the guy gave me $160 Jamaican dollars back (less than $2.50 @ $1US to $66). I then told him to give me $500 Jamaican and gave him back $300 Jamaican $. For some reason, he kept telling me that I still owed him $6.38US because he now only had $10 US. I had to explained to him 3 times that I gave him $20 US. At the end, I told he that he sent a guy to get change for the $10 and that was why he only got $10US +$460 Jamican dollars left. I don't know what he was trying to pull here; whatever it is, he was not very honest at all.

The public beach was about 5 minutes walk and the admission fee was $200 Jamaican or $3.25US per person. With a $4 per night safety deposit box charge by the hotel, be prepared to spend $99 if you plan to go to the beach and kept your personal belonging safe.

• Liked — security guard - he will take your name down if you are leaving the property
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank bemyself

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2007

this hotel is for locals or for tourist who is familiar with Ocho Rios. Rooms were clean, but furniture and appliances were outdated. Jazucci was something i think my great grandmother would use. overall if you want somewhere cheap quiet, clean, and in the middle of most attractions then this is your hotel.
staff was great, but they lack knowledge of local attractions.

PS BUT HEY you get what you pay for

Stay 'AWAY" from the pool if you swim in there you might get leprosy.

• Liked — THE STAFF
  • Disliked — the pool
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends
5 Thank outllaw
Waldorf, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2007

Happy New Year to all. I am writing about our quick holiday trip to Ocho Rios. My husband, son and I were directed to try this property from Norma of Lees Tour and Taxi. We were not disappointed. The service couldn't have been better. The staff is wonderful. This hotel is more like a B&B. It is across from Sunset Jamaica Grande which we have stayed at previously. Last year we stayed at the RIU and while it is a very nice property, we enjoyed the personalized attention from the staff here. They go out of their way to help you. It is within walking distance to the center of Ocho Rios. It is close to one of our favorite restaurants Magarettaville. As usual we booked our tour and taxi service through Norma. Lees Tour will be operating out of this hotel soon. We enjoyed the breakfast each morning. The restaurant on site serves very good food. The location leaves you many more choice to choose from for places to eat. Our son loved the walk to Burger King. Our son stayed for free which was a big help on the budget. He enjoyed the pool. The rooms are spacious and clean. For relaxing personalized service, give this place a try. We are thinking of returning in May.
Irie Mon

• Liked — The personalized attention
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank mylesmom
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2006

We spent 9 days at the Village Hotel in September. We were pleasantly surprised as we had no idea what to expect before we arrived as the booking was very last minute. We were expecting the worse but on arrival realised our fears were unfounded as our stay at The Village Hotel was a very relaxing and peaceful experience.

The hotel is in a great location which makes it very easy to explore Ochio on foot. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, a first class service provided with a smile.

The room we stayed in was comfortable and clean, we had a kitchenette in the room so we always had cold drinks, snacks etc that we purchased from the local supermarkets, if you don’t want to cook there is a restaurant in the hotel or lots of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Breakfast is provided each morning and is worth getting up for..... We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — The TV in the room was a bit too high
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 2travel_fun
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2006

I spent 2 weeks over easter and the hotel is very quiet and clean. The atmosphere is relax and staffs are very friendly. The rooms are quite comfortable and clean. The board was B&B but I was a bit desappointed with the breakfast. there is not a lot a variety. Mostly Jmaican brakfast is serve with scramble egg.

Apart from few things like shower heads that didn't always supply in the correct direction I could say its a quite a good hotel. and I would not hesitate to go back there.

We cannot always expect to get the same comfort in a hotel as at home can we?

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2004

I spent 2 nights at the Villiage hotel...The atmosphere was extremely welcoming and pleasant. The breakfast was delicious...I will surely plan to stay there again...

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member