The best way to start this review is to tell you that this is--in no others words--a beautiful place! In all the resorts my wife and I have traveled to, this was by far the most beautiful with the rain forest more or less growing into and around the buildings. So, is that a good enough reason to visit this Couples resort? For may..."yes" and I understand that...but for my wife and I, perhaps not so much. Here are a few negatives with pluses thrown in. Fly to Montego Bay...but you lose 3 hrs getting to Ochos Rios...and then 3 hours when you return to the airport--ground transportation was professional...clean A/C vehicles--friendly drivers. Arrival--no issues...rooms ready, staff at hand. Rooms--some with beautiful ocean views---and the San Souci beachfront is very pretty--actually quite gorgeous at times based on sun position and weather. The Beach is big enough not to be crowed---but the water is shallow and there is no wave action---if you like surf--this is not the place for you. That said, the water is clean--the beach is clean and the beach bar is convenient to the entire beach---a good thing since drink service on the beach was non-existent--even with their ridiculous "blue flag" system--which doesn't work if no one is paying attention--and take my word...once the sun rose into the sky and it got hot, no one was working the beach--thank goodness the beach bar always seemed to be well manned (womaned?) Food was overall good--but not as great as some reviews seem to suggest--and I'll admit to being, perhaps, more discerning than others--especially younger couples who'd find back home buffets to be good food--the food was passable, no more--no less--with hats off to the omelet maker in the morning....the kid could prepare a mean omelet--to order!!! The beach bar is a great place to eat lunch, but service is spotty at best--too often the servers were seemingly involved in their own personal conversations and it often took more than one motioning gesture to get their attention--attitudes were too often indifferent. At one point, we sat at one of the lower tables at the beach bar and not one server would make eye contact. Our traveling companions finally approached one of the servers who said he hadn't noticed us and that he'd be right there---now with two other couples sitting at adjoining tables, another 5 minutes passed and we arose one more to get the server's attention--who finally came down with a nonchalant "what do you want to eat?" and no menus--all three couples got up to get their own menus.This was pitiful--we deserved better. No apology, no nothing, and the food service manager of the day was at the bar (taking up a seat) and chatting with other employees--not engaged whatsoever. Once served, getting followup was also problematic. In the restaurants, getting coffee was a breeze (they brew and serve excellent Blue Mountain coffee), but getting a refill was always a matter of us getting their attention, never them asking us. Drinks---someone at Sans Souci needs to understand that champagne needs to be served cold--chilled at the very least...getting cold champagne was no easy task...Red Stripe beer was in abundance (very good)--but inconsistent with temperature depending on which tap it was coming from--beach bar generally okay...booze choices were okay--not reflective of top drawer--but not rail quality either...no issues--but the only single malt scotch available was in the Balloon lounge, which opens after 6:00. We enjoyed our stay--which was merely to relax, eat and drink..and we accomplished that. However, the friendly, ready, willing and eager staff we were told about never really materialized--and that tipping is frowned upon may be at the heart of the matter. My experiences over many years has taught me that tipping enhances service and attitude--it's just the way life works. I still managed to tip my room maid--who kept our room in clean and perfect condition for the full four days of our stay. Go back?? Doubtful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the cliffs of Jamaica’s emerald coast above a dazzling stretch of Caribbean, Couples Sans Souci beckons you to surrender mind, body and soul. The resort's 'no worries' mantra comes to life as every day unfolds. Lose yourself exploring secluded stone pathways. Melt away stress in the healing natural mineral springs. Feel a rush of exhilaration scaling Dunn's River waterfalls. Or simply drift asleep in a hammock by the sea. Located in vibrant Ocho Rios, the resort's design pays tribute to an understated colonial elegance—intricate latticework, white woven furnishings and feathered palms set a refined stage for your island escape. Dining options abound—from authentic Jamaican fare to five-star international cuisine. Private cabanas at cliff's edge provide the ideal setting for our signature spa treatments, while the choice of resort activities knows no limits. Learn the art of living well while living in the moment at Couples Sans Souci. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Couples Sans Souci reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Sans Souci Hotel Ocho Rios
- Couples San Souci
- Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios
- Couples Sans Souci Jamaica/Ocho Rios