“Dream vacation at a beautiful resort”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 7-night stay at this amazing resort. We'd done a day visit there in April 2010 and fell in love with the lush tropical grounds. We've never stayed at one resort for 7 nights, always having chosen to change resorts after 3 or 4 nights to try different places, but we loved this resort so much that we booked 7 nights. Frankly, even 7 nights weren't enough to discover all of the nooks and crannies, experience the myriad activities, to get to know the amazing staff and to try all the delicious foods!

The people:
The "staff" at this resort quickly came to feel like family or very gracious hosts who welcomed us on arrival and then seemingly effortlessly made us feel more than welcome all week. From the front desk to bell services to housekeeping to the bar tenders to the watersports crew to waitstaff to entertainment - Couples Sans Souci seems to have found the cream of the crop to take care of their guests. We enjoyed countless hours at the swim-up bar, playing trivia games, sharing stories and drinks and biographies and meeting wonderful staff and fellow guests.

The room:
We were in a penthouse suite (D14, the Steve McQueen suite). The accommodations were beautiful, comfortable, impeccably clean and extraordinarily spacious with a bedroom, living room, 1 and 1/2 baths (including a huge walk-in shower) and the hugest balcony I've ever seen (with three entries) - I wish we'd known enough people to host the 50 that I'm sure the balcony space could have accommodated.

The food:
There are 4 restaurant/grill areas open to all guests and we experienced three of them: Casanova (the "formal" restaurant), Palazzina ("semi-formal" at dinner and casual for breakfast and lunch), the Beach Grill (lunch)/Bella Vista (open air and beachfront dinner). The food at each was so good that we'd have chosen the same menu options over and over again. There is also food at Sunset Beach (SSB), the au naturel side of the resort, but we didn't have lunch there. Beyond that, there was in-room dining, and the quality was wonderful. The private, repeat guests dinner which was invitation-only and held in a private dining room, was fabulous!

The activities:
There were so many opportunities for social interaction and we took advantage of many of them, including trivia games, name that tune, etc. I also enjoyed aerobics and piloxing and water aerobics with the visiting fitness instructor, who was top-notch. My husband enjoyed golf a short distance away from the resort 2 mornings. We did a couples massage which was wonderful and relaxing beyond description in a private hideaway room that extended out over the ocean -- amazing! I had a facial that was very refreshing and relaxing. We enjoyed a crazy, late-night offsite excursion (accompanied by 2 great guys from the resort entertainment staff) to Margaritaville Ocho Rios. Fun!! Another of the highlights of our trip was a private sailing outing on a catamaran with a member of the fabulous water sports staff. Each evening, we enjoyed the high-quality, on-site entertainment and dancing outside the Balloon Bar or on the lawn or beach.

This resort is truly romantic and they do everything they can to cultivate a culture and environment that is a fabulous mix of romance, relaxation and adventure.

We loved the experience so much that we've just cancelled a Mediterranean cruise for next summer to split our 2013 vacation time between a romantic husband/wife trip back to this resort and an "extended family" summer beach/lake house rental -- we just couldn't bear the thought of waiting 2 years to return to Couples Sans Souci.

Room Tip: If you don't mind lots of steps to get to and from the beach and restaurants, the penthouse suit...
5  Thank keenercam
Write a ReviewReviews (4,025)

Reviewed 24 July 2012

July 2012: My husband and I just returned and had an WONDERFUL time. This was our second trip; first was in April 2011. This is their off season, so the resort may have been 50% capacity. The staff is phenomenal and the resort is absolutely gorgeous. Beware, that there are a lot of steps around the grounds. Food, coffee, service & staff were top notch. This will probably be an annual vacation for us. Lots of perks for repeat guests!! Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, so after a while, we were upgraded to the Prime Minister's Suite....well worth the wait!

Room Tip: For just ~$10/night, I would choose a penthouse suite vs. regular room.
1  Thank lastrayer
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My husband and I traveled to Couples Sans Souci for our honeymoon and our stay was an amazing experience from start to finish! We loved the service, made friends with lots of the staff, and enjoyed amazing food every single day! The weather was great, the service was friendly...I could go on and on. Just one tip- stay two weeks! We did and I don't regret one penny we spent on this trip.

Imagine surf crashing from you window in the morning and serenading musicians wandering beneath them at night...think waiters on the beach, top shelf cocktails, personalized service and great evenings in restaurants under the stars. I would absolutely recommend this resort to anyone and everyone, and I can't wait to go back.

Please keep in mind you're not on the 7mile beach in Negril and may not experience the crystal blue waters of Jamaica--- but you also won't experience a single peddler of wares either. Sans Souci is tucked between two cliffs and affords the guests a private beach free of distraction, noise, and any other unseemly things you'll want to avoid when you tackle the public beaches. Also, this is a relatively small resort- only 150 rooms at a max of 300 guests. You become friends with a lot of the guests!

They've got access to five different restaurants and the menu never let us down. Tuesday nights have amazing buffets with live music and entertainment you don't want to miss, and Fridays are gala events under the stars! The balloon bar is great for evening entertainment and the club scene was a blast too.

There were trips to go on, shopping excursions to town, zip line tours, climbing waterfalls, water skiing opportunities, hoby catting, and don't forget spa treatments and their huge turtle Charlie!

Great staff? Check. Great food? Check. Great rooms? Check! Would we go again? Check check check!

Room Tip: Put your request in to be high up if you enjoy watching the ocean and a view of the grounds! Also...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank KimchiGoddess_12
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My husband and I celebrated our honeymoon at Couples Sans Souci (July 7-14) and we had a wonderful time. It was a tough decision to make about where to go, because we wanted a place geared towards romance. In the end, I am glad we chose to go to Couples Sans Souci; the atmosphere is geared towards romance and we enjoyed the local entertainment performing at the Balloon Bar, where we always ended up slow dancing to 1 or more songs.

We were not sure what to expect, as it was our first time travelling to Jamaica but we were both impressed with the friendliness of the people, from the greeting at the airport, to the bus driver, to the staff upon arrival at the resort. We enjoyed the water sports offered at the Couples Resort (wind surfing, Glass Bottom boat ride, snorkelling) and we enjoyed all of the fabulous food served at the sit down dinners (we had 2 sit down dinners at Casanova and at Ristorante).

We ventured out on tours as well (the Chakka White River tubing, and Dunns River Falls) and would recommend the Tubing trip. The tour guides made it alot of fun for everyone. The River Falls was also very impressive, although I was not too keen on the DVD filmaking process during the hike, especially since we did not bring the money to buy the DVD ($40) and had no intention of buying the DVD but still were expected to perform for the guides (yelling, cheering, water dips).

We ordered room service for 1 breakfast, and it was delivered on time and we thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast overlooking the ocean.

Our room was kept clean and our fridge was restocked. We were quite happy with the complimentary bottle of Jamaican rum in our room as well.

If you are going on a honeymoon, I recommend the couples massage. We received a complimentary massage as we were honeymooners, and we had 20 minutes of bliss laying in the Hideway Gazebo, listening to the waves on the cliffs below.

The one thing that was a bit frustrating was the check out process. We received notification the night before to have our checkout completed by 7AM, the bags would be picked up by 7:30AM, but our bus was not departing until 8:30 AM. So we sat in the front lobby...waiting...eventually, the coffee station was set up in the computer room, where we had a cup of coffee. Otherwise we waiting for 1.5 hours for a bus, in a hot lobby. And then, when our bus came, our bag was not picked up from the room, and my husband had to run to the room to get the bag before getting onto the bus.

Overall, we both agreed that it was an ideal honeymoon location, and we have 3 other Couples resorts to try out for our 5th wedding anniversary.

7  Thank irinabtj
Reviewed 20 July 2012

This place is heaven. No really.... it is. Go here. Me and my wife went here for out honeymoon and it was incredible. Room service, Great coffee, great food, beautiful scenery and wildlife. The service was incredible. The shake girl Careen by the mineral pool was awesome. She should be the one running the place. Our messages were intense but great! The food... well I gained a lot weight. Everything I ate was perfect and fresh. I miss the omelettes and bacon every morning. The green situation was very good. We ran into some good stuff and it's easy to find which made the trip just that more relaxing. No one gave us a hard time about it and we just smoked on the balcony. All you gotta do is ask someone and they will point you in the right direction. We never left the resort and never got bored. The Jamaican people are so nice very cool. YA MON!

Room Tip: in the G block. Say Hi to Charlotte for me.
6  Thank Jamie A
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My husband and I celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary at CSS the 11-15th of July. I thought it was one of the easiest trips I've ever taken. From arrivals at the airport to the lounge to the transfer was super easy! You can enjoy a beer or soft drink while you wait for the transportation to the resort. The ride to the resort is an hour and 45 mins but it didn't bother us at all as we are frequent travelers. The hotel grounds are absolutely beautiful. The staff maintains it well being that it is an older establishment. We stayed in e block near the balloon bar and it was nice. We had a balcony with ocean views, two bathrooms and a mini bar. The food at all three resturants was awesome. If you want casual dining, eat at the beach bar. The other two resturants required a reservation but are well worth it. The jerk chicken and beef patties were my favorite as I love eating the local fare wherever I am. The staff was awesome to us. Maureen in the beach bar resturant was one of the hardest workers I've ever met. The onsite photographer kanesha was the sweetest person and she takes wonderful photos. Easton, chad, rochelle, peter were all very kind to us and they were a fun bunch to chat with. We also enjoyed the lifeguards darron and barring ton. They are very animated and funny on the glass bottom boat ride. My husband snorkeled twice with them and he had a blast. To sum it all up, we had a great 5th wedding anniversary and it was smooth from arriving there to our ride back home. We would definitely suggest this property to friends who need a getaway. Kudos to the staff at San souci, you all did a great job! We hope to see you all again in the future!

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Clnjssc
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We always love going "home" to couples. We enjoy Couples SS, TI and Negril very much even though they all are very different from one another. SS is built on a cliff, exotic in layout, easy to get alone with my wife, romantic, beautiful views. The food was good, better at TI and Negril, though. The mineral pool is great with an excellent smoothie bar. Nudie, I'm not, but Sunet beach after 5 is very nice. There is a river that goes right by that beach which is fun to play in.
Water sports are pretty good. Diving was well run by Leon and gang. Waterskiing was good too. The beach is poor for windsurfing because a reef line is near the shore through which only a 25 foot gap is available to navigate; very tricky on a windsurfer. Nice reef for snorkeling offshore, for strong swimmers only. Go through the above mentioned gap to the east north east. Reef start at about 150 meters out and goes for at least a kilometer to the east. To do this you must leave at sunrise else the boat traffic may be too dangerous. The Internet was broken for the first 2 days we were there, but worked pretty well thereafter. We like the big apartments with large bathroom, tub and ceiling fans. The AC worked great this time. A little trouble with the airport transfers; AC broken both ways. Staff was friendly and warm. We enjoyed much of the entertainment.

2  Thank Blessed06
1 mi away
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!