“Good Decision” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Brighton and Hove
“Good Decision”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

We travelled mid February for a fortnight ,having stayed at Couples Swept away a couple times before, we thought a change was in order,good decision, San Souchi has the same style of food and service as CSA. beaches are totally different and because of the two beaches at CSS i never felt we were chasing sunbeds plenty of shade,beautiful grounds.
Downside one hour fifty mins in a cramped mini bus from the airport that is full is not much fun after a ten and a half hour flight particularly if your six foot three.I do like a mojo cocktail but for over seven nights none of the bars had mint it became a bit of a joke after a few nights, but surely this is a basic bar requirement . WI FI coverage could be improved not available in the room but certainly on the beach found the rooms small by comparison to CSA .

Apart from these minor irritants what makes this place is the staff whos committment to making you enjoy your holiday is second to none.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Graham512
CSS_Operations_Mgr, Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Couples Sans Souci, positive comments are always encouraging to the staff.

The supply of mint on island can be inconsistent from time to time, so our Landscaping department has developed a herb garden which features mint as a primary crop. We should be able to offer Mojitos year round in the future. We're also working on improvements to the property wifi, but reception will still be subject to the equipment that you're using. At the moment, i'm able to secure connectivity with my phone across 90% of the resort - quite a feat considering the terrain.

Nicholas Lynch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,249)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

Read all reviews and followed 'the talk' on the couple site before we went, without doubt those who reported in a negative way are probably never happy and complain everywhere they go, I do not spend my vacation looking for fault.
Accomodation: This hotel is not state of the art it is furnished in an older style but has flat screen TV's. The room was spotlessly clean, as were the linen and towels. room comfort excellent.
Public areas: Kept clean an tidy, constant ground maintenance activity, which was not obstusive to the hotel guests.
Retaurants: Excellent at all meals in any restaurant. Casanova, I defy anyone to complain about anything there, i stands against any top city restaurant. Palazzina, would grace any hotel as the main eating place, and come out with top marks. Bella vista good well presented food but against the other 2 looks ordinary (it is not). Breakfast and Lunch top class food with plenty to chose from. If you cannot find food to suit stay at home and cook your own.
Gala Night: needs to be seen.
Beach Party: another great night. The only negative of the holiday was the on site shop fashion parade and sales pitch, please stop this, it spoild an otherwise great night.
Pools and Beaches: great, always beds available, could do with more umbrellas though. those who complain about no sunbeds must be wanting a particular spot to sit in!
Activities: did not participate but other enjoyed them, scuba was seemingly amazing.
Entertainment: enjoyable, but with a choice of bars and retaurants you can take or leave it.
Transfer to resort: this WILL take 2 hrs minimum, treat it as an island tour, especially if you fly into Kingston.

Room Tip: There are step here, request room based on your ability to climb. the higher and more steps you have...
5 Thank Realism
Thank you for your glowing review of Couples Sans Souci, it's always gratifiying when we've made such a positive impression on our guests. Hopefully we get another opportunity to host you in the near future.

Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

My husband and I used this resort for the day while on a recent cruise. I was so glad to have chosen it. All the hotel guests we spoke with were very pleased with all elements of the resort. We were there mainly for the beach and restaurant. Everyone working at the resort was friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. Upon arrival we paid $50 each for use of the amenities. It was so worth the day! The beach was lovely and our lunch and drinks were perfect. It is a couples only resort so that was kind of nice for a change. The only issue was the cab ride there was rather pricey. Howeve,r we met the nicest woman on our ride to and from. She was kind of a tour guide and just lovely. So the $60 round trip was worth it. I do encourage asking around for the best price, initially we were told $80 rtrip.

2 Thank ryanflyin
CSS_Operations_Mgr, Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Thank you for reviewing your day pass experience at Couples Sans Souci although I must say that this small taste of the resort is simply not enough....you should return for at least a week next time.

On another note, the cost for day passes fluctuates somewhat so please contact the resort directly to confirm pricing and availability.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

We were at CSS from Sat, 3/16 until Sat, 3/23. All in all, we had a BLAST and will be back. Here is our review. Yes, it's a little long. I'm sorry for that upfront.

Shuttle to CSS: It took us just over 2 hours to get to CSS. Unfortunately, we were with 2 other couples in a smaller shuttle bus and they all had golf clubs. So it took a while to get the entire luggage in and settled. The other couples had filled a cooler with Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light. So I knew the ride would be interesting. Don’t get me wrong, I like to have a good time but they were a bit loud, etc. They were going to CTI. Our driver was Patrick. He didn’t give us a “tour” per se, but did answer any questions we had. He was nice but he actually drove a bit slow for us. We’ve been to Negril many times and this was our first trip to Ocho. I thought he would drive the same. Nope. Was a bit surprised by that. LOL And be careful if you are wearing flip flops and get out of the shuttle. The rubber mat area is slippery as I almost took a tumble getting out at the pit stop. We were fine with driving straight to CSS. But the 2 couples with us, wanted to stop. *sigh* So we stopped a little over ½ way there. They got more drinks and went potty. My hubby and I just stood outside and looked at the view. Funny thing was, they brought my hubby a beer but didn’t bring me anything! Not that we asked them to, but I thought that was kinda weird. Guess they didn’t like me though I never really spoke to them and neither did hubby. LOL

Arrival: We arrived around 3:45pm. Our room wasn’t ready yet. Was just a little surprised by that since it was almost 4pm. So we walked over to make dinner reservations. While we were doing that (which I thought we might not be able to do since we didn’t have a room number yet), someone came over and gave them our room number. We knew we were going to eat at the Bella Vista that night since we got in late, but we wanted to book the rest of the nights. Well, the only times available at both restaurants for the entire week were 8:30pm or 9:00pm. We were a bit disappointed in that as we don’t normally eat that late. I thought maybe the first reservation and possibly the second would be late but not the entire week. So we booked the Cassanova and the Pallazina twice each. We then went down to the Beach Grille to get a bite to eat and wait for our room to be ready. We went back to the lobby around 4:45pm and our room was ready just then. A driver drove us to our room and they carried our bags up. Very nice guys. Pretty painless but I kept wanting to follow the driver to the van instead of waiting for them to come up to the lobby entrance. He got a kick out of that. LOL

Room: We booked the Beachfront Suite. I requested the A block and either the 2nd or 3rd Floor. They granted my request and we were in A25. 3rd floor, corner room next to the B block. Very pleased with the location. The room was fine. Nothing fancy but comfy. But being Couples repeaters, we knew all that. The bathroom sink plungers didn’t work well and if you ran the water, the sink would fill up instead of draining. But besides that, no real issues. Water pressure was very good (maybe a little too strong actually) and never ran out of hot water. We didn’t use the Jacuzzi tub. I called housekeeping after we settled in as there wasn’t an ashtray in the room. I used an old water bottle instead. They said they would bring one down. Our mini fridge wasn’t filled as requested per the pre-check in I filled out. So we called down and they brought up a few things. I didn’t bother asking for the additional stuff I had originally wanted. We were fine with water, soda and Red Stripe. When we went down for dinner, I just asked the Beach Bar bartender on our way back to the room if I could have an ashtray to bring back up with me. When we got back to our room, they had been there for turndown service and had brought an ashtray.

Food: We ate at the Beach Grille after we arrived. The food was very good and service was excellent. We did have to wait about 45 minutes for a table the first night. So we walked the beach in the dark for a while, got a drink and then we were seated. Just a side note: They turn the water off at the little shower stations to rinse your feet, etc. by the beach at night. Wasn’t able to do that before dinner. The Beach Grille was our favorite lunch place all week. We only ate at the Pallazina for lunch once. Which was fine but we preferred the Beach Grille. We also ate dinner there one other night besides our arrival and loved both meals. Service was a bit more spotty the second time we went but still good. We were seated right away the second time. We had reservations at the Cassanova twice but ended up only going once. We actually didn’t care for it at all. The food was okay but not as good as I thought it would be. My steak wasn’t cooked correctly but I didn’t send it back as it was close enough. The service wasn’t as good either. No one smiled and it just seemed a bit too stuffy for us. Now, I’m not the type of person that requires everyone to smile and gush over me. But just a little bit of friendly exchange is nice. My hubby agreed so we changed our second reservation we had there to the Pallazina. Our first visit to the Pallazina for dinner was great. Food was very good and service was spot on. The second night (the one we changed to after cancelling the Cassanova reservation) was just okay. Service was really slow for some reason. We waited about 40 minutes for them to just take our order. And they ran out of the dessert we wanted. We ate at the Pallazina every morning for breakfast. My hubby loved their buffet. I enjoyed it too. He got an omelet once and I got one twice. Good but they use just a little too much oil. But still very good. We had room service for dinner once. It was okay but not our favorite. I did order 2 snacks from room service as well. The Nachos made me laugh. They used Dorito chips instead of tortilla! Kinda a weird taste. LOL

So our favorites:
Pallazina for Breakfast
Beach Grille for Lunch
Bella Vista/Pallazina for Dinner

WaterSports: The only water sport thing we did was the glass bottom boat which was nice. We’ve done that one in Negril. Hurricane Sandy did do some damage but still saw some cool stuff. The best part was one of the fisherman boats came over to our boat on our way back. They chatted with the 2 boat guys and they had been out spear fishing. They caught a marlin. They sold the body and sword but showed us the head. OMG!!!! That thing was HUGE! No way would I have gotten in the water with something that big and shot at it. LOL So that was pretty cool to see. We kept meaning to go snorkeling, do the Cat boats, paddle boats, etc. but just never did. My hubby did do the PADI certification while we were there. I bought it for him for his 40th birthday present (which was just before we left to go to CSS). It only took 2 days (Mon & Tue) from 8:45am to about 1:00pm. I just hung out on the beach or around the bars while he was gone. He said it was the best present ever!!! he dove again on Wed but then picked up a small cold so couldn't go on Thur or Fri. We plan on doing more when we go back. Promise! The beach towel exchange was easy. I would just switch ours out at the end of the day so we would have fresh ones in the AM. We dropped them off later on Fri and got our exchange ticket for checkout. Very easy and all of the people at the Water Sports area were nice.

Beach: IMO, the beach isn’t as good as Negril. But we knew that when we booked the trip. It is still a nice beach. A little rough in spots and there was much more sea grass than I expected (thankfully I brought water shoes). It is much smaller than Negril of course but still plenty of space for everyone. If you came down late, you did have to scrounge for a lounger and floatie and sometimes you were SOL on the floatie part. Same for finding a shady spot if you wanted it. There was definitely some “getting up early and reserving the prime spots” happening every morning. I found a decent spot near the lifeguard stand using the stand for shade and then when that disappeared, I moved over in front of the Beach Grille. Worked for me. Didn’t lounge around the pool but did see a spot or two there from time to time. We didn’t go to the A/N beach at all. Kept meaning to for sunset but missed it each time! Will definitely have to put that on the “to do” list next time.

Grounds: We walked around the grounds twice. The day after we arrived and the day before we left (to take pics.... I always seem to forget to do that until the last day!). It is very beautiful. So lush and green. And the views are to die for. The huge tree was cool and the pond was neat to see all the birds, etc. Yes, there are steps. But we actually didn’t have too much of an issue when we were exploring (and I have a bum knee from riding horses for too many years!). The hardest hike is from our room to the lobby area.

Mineral Pool: We did go into the mineral pool one afternoon for a while. It was much cooler than the beach pool and the ocean. But very refreshing. The smoothie’s at the bar were awesome.

Pool Bars: All of the bartenders were awesome at both bars. I found that the ladies actually made the drinks a bit stronger than the guys did. Had my first Bob Marley shot. We spent a lot of time at the bars. LOL Earlier in the day, it was kinda quiet but picked up later in the day. I think I only drank the same drink a few times. I kept telling them to just surprise me. And they did. I only had one drink that I didn’t care for the entire week. Not too bad. Chairs were more comfy at the pool bar.

Vendors/Gift Shop: We bought a few things from the vendors on the beach. Very nice people, not pushy at all and had some nice stuff. We also got a few things at the gift shop. They had some great deals!

Activities: We didn’t do anything. We planned on the Dunns River Falls and to go Horseback Riding. Nope. Didn’t make either. LOL It’s all good… we will try next time. I did play one game while we were there at the pool bar. And ended up winning! The activities lady (I can’t remember her name!) was so nice and what a beautiful lady! We didn’t go to the Beach Party. Hubby and I aren’t “big group” type people. So that’s when we had room service so can’t comment on that. We didn’t go to the Repeater Dinner either. Went to the Pallazina instead. We did go to the Starlight Gala. The decorations and food were awesome. The entertainment was okay. Just singing so we left after about 15 minutes. We were leaving the next day so were tired and wanted to pack and such.

Spa/Sports Complex (Tennis)/Golf: We didn't do any of them. I was going to get a massage but didn't get around to booking it!

Departure: Our flight was at 12:40pm. They slipped the departure info under our door while we were at the Gala. Our shuttle was to leave at 8:30am. Luggage was to be picked up at 7:30am. Check out at 8:00am. Very smooth departure. We grabbed some breakfast when the Pallazina opened up at 7:30am and then headed up to the lobby. The shuttle back was much better. Driver was a little faster and the shuttle was bigger and had better air conditioning. Everyone was pretty quiet. I'm sure it's because we were all sad to leave and just a bit tired. We got to the airport around 10:15am.

Summary: All in all, we had a great time and will be back (probably next Spring… we are booked for Negril this Fall). We met some really nice people from all over the world. The staff were awesome (for the most part) and we enjoyed ourselves. I want to give a shout out to the bar folks we met – Jheanel, Peter, Caprice, Demar & Anthoy. Also, my hubby’s dive instructor Phillip was so nice and fantastic. I didn’t catch too many other names but there were a lot of great people. We loved the size of the resort. It never felt crowded though it was at full capacity. My only improvement suggestions would be: Better wifi. It was good down at the beach but sketchy in our room. More comfy beach bar chairs. The ones at the pool bar were more comfy so we ended up there more often. Have one other option for dinner w/o reservations. So we didn’t have to eat so late all the time. Of course, these are just small nit picky suggestions.

I know this was long and I applaud anyone who got through it all. It was our first time there and I found other reviews very helpful before our trip. The more details the better! So hope this is helpful to someone.

We did theClub MoBay Pass for the first time. Here is a review of that:
Arrival: We opted to get the MoBay pass (arrival and departure) since we were getting in around 1pm on a Sat (3/16). And leaving on a Sat (3/23). We got off the plane and headed down. Once we got to the bottom of the ramp our rep was standing there holding a paddle with our names on it. The line was already starting to go up the ramp. She politely weaved us in and out of the line to get to the MoBay VIP line. There was no one there. So while the guy was processing our paperwork, I asked her if we had gotten into that line, how long would it have taken. She said at least 1 ½ hours if not closer to 2. Wow. She then walked us to baggage claim and asked around to find our luggage. Once she found the area, I looked through and found our 2 bags which were already sitting out. We grabbed our bags and she took us to customs. We were the only ones in the VIP line. There were about 20 people in the regular line. She then took us to the Couples lounge so we could check in and get our luggage tagged. From walking off the plane to sitting in the lounge….. 10 minutes. We decided to hang out in the MoBay lounge instead as it was less crowded. Their lounge is very nice with cool towels, drinks and a nice bathroom to change in. We did pop over to the Couples lounge for another drink and to sit for a minute right before we left. Our shuttle left about 20 minutes after we had settled in. So we were on our way to CSS around 1:40pm. :-D

Departure: Our flight was at 12:40pm. We got to the airport around 10:15am. We went to our airline area to check in first. The self-check in kiosk area was a bit crowded so we went directly to the airline counter instead. There was only one couple ahead of us and we got checked in pretty quick. We then walked towards security. The line was all the way to the entrance doors by the airline check ins. Figured out that the MoBay VIP line was on the left and got in line. Only about 5 people ahead of us. Passport check and security went fine and quick. We were then directed to the MoBay departure lounge. The lounge is really nice. Air conditioning, snack foods (small sandwiches, muffins, cookies, pastries, etc) and drinks. Nice restrooms and open area to sit in. A nice monitor to check your flight status. We hung out there for a bit. About 30 minutes before our flight was going to board, we left and walked around the airport.

So all in all, we saved probably close to 3 hours. I was pleased with the service and they are very efficient. We will definitely be using it again as we normally travel from Sat to Sat. Well worth the money IMO.

For those that ask about flying through ATL:

I know there have been many questions about using Delta airlines and more specifically connecting through Atlanta. Yes, Atlanta is a big airport but IMO is very easy to navigate. On our way to Jamaica, we had no issues at all. We arrived on time in ATL and only had a 50 minute connection time. We deplaned, got on the tram in Concourse B to go to the International Terminal and were standing at our departure gate in 10 minutes. So we had time to walk around before boarding. And for those that smoke, ATL International Terminal has a really nice and well ventilated smoking lounge. Returning from Jamaica, we left MBJ late and hit some bad weather coming into ATL. We arrived about 30 minutes or so late and we already had a little less than 2 hours for our connection to begin with. We were also towards the back of the plane. So once we landed and were taxing, I fired up my phone to see if our connecting flight was delayed to give us extra time. It was not and the Fly Delta app suggested that we change our connecting flight since we were arriving late (you can do that through the app). So I looked at hubby and he looked at me and we decided to just take a chance and see if we could make it. I knew there was a later flight we could take if we didn’t make it. We got off the plane, went through passport services, got our bags (which came out within a few minutes), went through customs, re-checked our bags and then went through security. Got on the tram to get to Concourse B from the International Terminal and went to our gate. From getting off the plane to standing at our departure gate……. 22 minutes. We landed around 5pm on a Saturday and I was surprised there weren’t any lines. The staff in the International Terminal were fabulous. Very helpful and told us exactly where we needed to go and what we needed to do and they had people at every corner to guide you along. I even mentioned to one of the staff towards the end that IMO, they were the most efficient airport I had seen in a long time.

We have booked a return trip to CN in November with similar flight/connection times.

Peace be the journey....

Room Tip: We were in the A Block. Room A25 so third floor, corner room. Really liked this location. View wa...
4 Thank lsm1212
Thank you very much for taking the time to put so much detail into your review of Couples Sans Souci - i'm sure that there are many other first time visitors who will find all the information that you added completely incredibly helpful.

We're very glad that you enjoyed your holiday and our staff, they will be thrilled that you mentioned them online. One quick note on our wifi - although the terrain here presents significant challenges to extensive wifi coverage, we are always working to improve our wifi with the addition of newer and more efficient equipment. Hopefully you'll notice the improvement on your next visit.

Regards,

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

This was our third time staying at this hotel and it was probably the best of the three. The staff remembered our names and our preffered drinks which is always nice. In 8 days we had two cloudy, rainy windy days, but then 6 straight awesome sunny days. We had a great beachfront room on the third floor which we loved. They do not have that stunning cliff view that the ocean rooms have, but they are very convenient to beach and restaurants and have a huge bathroom with a jaccuzi tube with a large seperate shower. If you want to wake up to fresh brewed deliverd coffee every morning, you simply fill out a card and slip it on your door nob before two in the morning. You pick what time you would like the coffee delivered, and it will be there. No need to tip or worry about money, as this hotel has a strict no tipping policy. Another great feature of this hotel that is a small touch, but much appreciated is the rubber foaties on each chair that is soft and comfortable, and doubles as a float for the pool or sea. Very relaxing floating on your floatie.

The grounds are so pretty and tropical. Its so much prettier than anywhere in Mexico. The staff are so gracious and helpful. They are always in a good mood, and more than egar to help with anything. Such a huge plus when you are on vacation.

As long as you are aware that San Souci does not have the beaches that Negril does, and your ok with that, you can't help but have a great vacation. If the beach is a deal breaker, than perhaps you should check out Couples Negril or Couples Swept Away. We have been to three of the four Couples and our preference is Couples San Souci. We are definitely hooked on the Couples Brand.

Room Tip: If you want stunning views 1 bedroom ocean rooms are the one, if you want convenience Beachfront roo...
6 Thank turtle040
Thank you very much for your sterling review! We're glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us so much and look forward to your next visit.

Richmond, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

My wife arranged this trip as a birthday surprise for me.
We arrived at the hotel at 9PM, the beach front room we booked was not available and they put us in an older room 2 doors down from the lobby. We were hungry. The 3 restaurants were closed so we could only order room service. The menu was very limited. She ordered nachos and I ordered pizza. The food came cold and greasy. There were about 20 nachos with what looked like melted processed cheese and the pizza was tasteless; both were cold.
The first full day of our vacation we were kind of in limbo waiting on the room we were supposed to have.
I like au naturel and she likes a swim suit. The first beach day it was cloudy and rained a bit; many people were on the beach covered up. The second day hotel security told us that it was a nude beach and my wife had to disrobe or leave. WEARING CLOTHES ON THE AU NATUREL BEACH IS PROHIBITED.
This meant that we were limited to the clothed beach; as singles are not supposed to be on the au naturel beach either.
The restaurant meals were average to poor, with the exception of one dinner that really was tasty.
Hotel staff were generally friendly and helpful, however, guest services were less than interested with any of our concerns.

8 Thank Bret P
CSS_Operations_Mgr, Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Good morning and thank you for taking the time to review Couples Sans Souci.

It is unfortunate that you were not familiar with the resort's policy at the au naturel beach prior to making your reservation - as you mentioned it is a fully nude facility and we do not permit singles. We do our best to maintain a comfortable atmosphere for couples at the au naturel beach and it is to this end that we have implemented certain policies.

I believe that I responded via email to a comment card that your wife filled out with an offer to research other possibilities within the Couples group, please feel free contact me directly if you think that I migth be able to assist you.
Timmins
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

My husband and I travelled for our annual escape from winter and snow. Our timing was perfect considering the snow that fell while we were away. Unfortunately the weather in Jamaica wasn't ideal with the last 2 days overcast with some light showers. That being said the resort cannot control the weather and the cold I somehow picked up along the way. We were amazed by the beautiful setting of San Souci. The grounds are stunning. The many stairs did not bother us at all. We had a beachfront suite which was lovely. Everything looked updated and clean. The only problem with our room was the noise during the day at the main pool. People don't normally care about daytime noise but when you missed a night of sleep due to an early flight it can be annoying. Otherwise the location of the room was close to most things and had a nice view of the ocean. We used the jucuzzi tub a couple of times too!
The beach is private but quite small. Nice but not the best we've been on. It was quite wavy some days which disallowed water sports disappointing my husband but again not the fault of the resort.
The staff was very friendly and professional for the most part. Albert managed to create a fancy coffee with whipped cream for my husband at the Casanova restaurant, our favourite place to eat dinner. Breakfast at the main restaurant was pleasant and airy with lots of breakfast choices . The highlight of our trip was the spa. We enjoyed a couples massage (thanks Ruth and Marcia) and a face massage later in the week. Both were heavenly.
The entertainment was okay but found it better at Sweptaway last year. When we tried to compare the resorts we liked different things about each so it would be hard to say which we liked better.
All in all we had a relaxing fun vacation. We met lots of nice people, staff and other vacationers. We would like to continue exploring the other Couple's resorts, including Couples Negril and Couples Barbados.

3 Thank smileyTimmins
Couples Swept Away
#15 of 84 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,045 reviews
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!