“50th wedding anniversary”

Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
essex
“50th wedding anniversary”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We have just returned from san souci our second time here and we cant understand the negative comments some people write,We had a wonderful time the staff went out of there way to make our anniversary special,the food,rooms grounds etc were perfect we hope to return again soon.
We even had the same room we had in 2011.Cannot fault the hotel.
Im sure some people just go away to find something to complain about.

Room Tip: room g9 is big good sea views large balcony with a day bed
3 Thank colebag

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,305)
Reviewed 1 April 2013

My husband and I spent our 10 year anniversary at this resort 2 yrs. ago (late on writing my review). Nothing compares to the wonderful service, nights singing in the Parachute bar, dinners at the French restaurant, soaking in the mineral pool and experiencing the grotto. We loved the beach cookout and gala. We enjoyed a couples massage and mineral salt scrub overlooking the ocean in a quaint gazebo. The staff was incredible! Thanks Dalton and the hotel staff for making our experience amazing. Recommended excursions: Dunn's River Falls and White River tubing. We hired a private driver for the day to explore Ocho Rios and spent a day at a school.

This is a small resort, quiet and retreat -like. Accommodated us with many special requests!!
Fantastic! Already been back to Jamaica since and nothing has compared to Couples Sans Souci.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a one bedroom ocean suite!
2 Thank Kristy D
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 31 March 2013

A little background. I probably read the last 1000 reviews, watched all the you tube videos, and followed the forum at the Couples website. We were a couple in our mid-forties celebrating our 20th anniversary. There have been a lot of great reviews that you can read through, including some very informative ones that I just read that were posted while we were gone. Based on my research, I knew pretty much what to expect with rooms, facilities, food, etc. I can honestly say that what I wasn't prepared for is the level of desire of the staff to be of service in any way possible. Any and every question or concern was answered with "Ya Mon, no problem Mon" and it would get taken care of ASAP. (well, island time ASAP anyway) I just want to add a little bit of info in this review that you may not get in the others.......kind of some things I was really searching for.

First, scuba diving isn't mentioned much. This free service is part of the reason I chose this resort. It was a bucket list thing that I had always wanted to pursue as I have always loved snorkeling. I actually got officially certified the day before we left for Jamaica. I am glad I had it all taken care of ahead of time, so I wasn't wasting time on this while on an anniversary trip. If already certified, you simply go to the sports shack and fill out a couple of minutes of paperwork and sign up for the dives you want for the week. I didn't bring any equipment with me. They have it all covered if you need it. The BCD's are all in great shape, but do not have an integrated weight system, so you have to wear a weight belt. No big deal, but I had not done it before. Another thing that was different for me was the entry method. In my training we simply stepped in off of a pontoon. On the boat, you do a back roll in. No big deal either, just different than I had ever done. Due to weather and the Dunn's River Falls trip, I was only able to get out Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at 9am each day. When I was there, they also did an 11am dive. Unfortunately, some weather moved in for Thursday and Friday so the dives were canceled. The dive masters (Leon and Nick for my three dives) were very good with taking care of us. Nick is pretty crazy, (in a good way though) but he makes sure you are safe. Leon is mare reserved, but again does a great job of keeping the group together and makes sure everyone is doing fine. The prices for getting certified are really not bad at all. It was $20 CHEAPER than what I paid here in Vegas. It would take a pretty good chunk of two of your days for that though. Nice place to get certified compared to some lake in the States though.

Didn't see a lot about the ages of the folks that frequent this resort. This will obviously change slightly week to week, but there are so many repeaters at this resort, probably less fluctuation than others. (there were over 100 at the repeaters dinner and I am guessing some repeaters didn't show up) For our week I would say the average was late 40's with a mix of probably 5 couples that were in their 20's and celebrating their honeymoon all the way up to folks near 80. There were couples that had been there 25 times. HUGE amount of Canadians when we were there. I never ran into one rude person. There was a large group that partied by the pool each day, but they were all very nice. One of them even went out and got $100+ of KFC and brought it back for the staff.

Segway from KFC to tipping. I also liked the no tipping policy when choosing this resort as I thought it would be nice to check in and put the wallet in the safe. I did. However, and I know that some "regulars" may not like this, by the end of the week I had gotten such amazing service from several of the employees that I had to do something for them. The simple truth of the matter is that no tips are ever exchanged in the open, at least that I saw. There are, however, a lot of "handshakes"...... wink wink. As mentioned in my title, I plan to re-visit and I will plan on a little extra for those that go WAY above and beyond to make my vacation special. If you don't feel the service is good, then don't tip them. Even if I choose to on my next visit, you can put your wallet away for the week and then just take care of a few of your favorites on your last day.

If you like to party "Bob Marley Style"...........you will have no problems. I didn't personally, but if that is up your alley, you will have no issues.....a lot of interesting odors protruding from the jungle.

You will NOT like this resort if you need the following:
1. A modern room with marble and granite. I was in room G16 and when I go back, I would request the EXACT SAME ROOM. It isn't brand new, but it was huge with a huge balcony and a view that is absolutely amazing. (3rd floor, middle of the building) It was spotless, and everything worked. Your really need to make your choice ahead of time. A and B for convenience to the beach, or G for the view. We were in the Ocean view one bedroom category. It is quiet all day, but if you go to bed at 9pm, it may be bad as you will probably hear the noise from the nightly entertainment at the balloon bar until around 11pm or so.

2. You are a type A personality that needs a watch on at all times and needs everything done on a precise schedule. It is island time all over the place. I was totally OK with it other than an issue I had with our private dinner that was a surprise for my wife. If you are spending $170 for a meal, it should be on time and set up when you arrive, especially if you had been clear for months that it was a 20th anniversary surprise. The management did a great job taking care of me even though I told them I didn't need anything. Even with the issues I had, I would totally recommend that dinner. We spent three hours in the wedding gazebo listening to the waves come in. It really was a special night.

Overall, a great trip. I have traveled to a lot of places and have never returned to any of them. This is one that I plan to return to. They have a pretty good program in place for returners (Romance rewards......you should sign up and pre-register before your first visit) and it has some things that will be bringing us back:

1. No children.......how many times have you been sitting around the pool for the afternoon only to hear "Marco"......."Polo".......the whole time?

2. Everybody speaks English.

3. The grounds are immaculate.

4. The amount of free things included. You can do as much or as little as you feel like that week, but if you choose to waterski, wakeboard, peddle boat, hobie cat, wind surf, paddle board, SCUBA, golf, go to Dunn's river falls, snorkel, go on glass bottom boats, etc, etc, etc, it is included. An amazing deal.

5. Most importantly, the staff have as much fun as you and truly seem to value the fact that you chose this resort. It is not the "stuffy" type of service that those of you that stay at a bunch of American 5 star resorts may be thinking. It is a totally laid back vibe from the moment you walk in the front door until the moment you leave. It's Jamaica Mon. And I love the style of service.

Quick note on beach chairs. At least for our week, there was an AMAZING......needs to be stated twice.....AMAZING amount of chair saving. Never seen it to this degree before. Maybe just this particular mix of people? The first morning, we were down there at 10am and the only available chairs were on the very end of the beach PAST the sports shack. No shade, and no floatie. However, there were WAY over half of the chairs that didn't have a body. From there on out, we were down there at 8:30 to find about 90% empty but with a towel and book or something on it. Most of the days even at 8:30, we could only get shade if we sat at the pool and even then, most days I had to kind of arrange my own set up by piecing things together. The folks in the A and B blocks are very close to all of that and must just wander out and put something on the seat at 7am or something. So, another downfall of the G block would be that if you want to save chairs like everyone else, you will have to traverse 150 stairs down and 150 back up at 7am.

Just read the other reviews. There are a small handful that will never be happy, but when approx. 90% of the 1700 plus reviewers rate it "very good" or "excellent", they simply can't be all wrong.......and they AREN'T! ha ha Enjoy your stay wherever you end up.

Room Tip: A and B for convenience of the beach and pool, G for more of a "private" feel with a great...
10 Thank govikesBABY
leopoldsburg
Reviewed 30 March 2013

First of all : English is not our native language, so there might be some "strange" words and weird constructions of sentences in this review.

Of all the great things we experienced at CSS, what did we like the most ?
* The huge and very clean room with two bathrooms and a spectacular view (Evergreen 08)
* The breakfast with a great choice of dishes and the excellent service and this always with a big smile : the ideal way to start a new day in paradise (thank you Simone,Milton,Vanya, Courtney,Shanae...)
* The à la carte restaurants (especially the Casanova and chef André)
* The privat dinner at the wedding gazebo (worth the extra 170 USD) (thank you Alexei and chef Akeema
* The guys from the watersports : can you take us sailing or waterskiing ? No problem man !
Thank you Maurice,Darren, Amalachi...
The poolbar and beachbars with their bartenders Tiger Tony, Taneisha,Capprice,Saskiann, Djaneal... who were always singing, dancing, shaking and making great drinks. Something special, no problem man, we'll get it for you.
* The twin towers Spagetti and Linguini and all the rest of the personel :always happy, yaman !
* Roomservice (fresh fruit and champagne ! )
*The sax-player at sunset, a very romantic end of the day...

What do you have to do when you arrive at CSS : make as soon of possible your reservations for dinner, massage, private dinner, spa
Take your time to explore the resort, there are lots of beautifull spots and secluded places to have a nice and private time with the one you love.
That's what CSS is all about and that's why couples that love each other have to go there !
Would we go again ? Yaman !

Room Tip: The D and E block are nearby the lobby, great oceanview with fauna and flora
7 Thank rietekeput
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We just completed a 7 night stay at Couples San Souci. It is a wonderful resort because of the following:

*Unparalleled friendliness and outstanding customer service.
*Good food
*Beautiful setting (perched on bluffs overlooking the Caribbean)
*Intimate feel to the resort (small number of rooms and guests)

It could be much BETTER if the resort:
*Reinvested some of the big $$$ guests pay for their stays into: a) New furniture and decor in the rooms and common areas (lobby, bars, restaurants, etc.); b) Painting and upkeep of common areas; c) Installation of modern pools and hot tubs in the area. It seems the resort has relied on guests enjoying the "vintage" nature of the resort for too long. Please note carefully the number of reviews saying the resort needs a major facelift. It's absolutely true. My wife and I almost demanded a relocation to another resort our first night here (due to the somewhat run down appearance of the facilities). We decided to stick it out and, overall, we're glad we did. The staff and food made our stay worthwhile.

Would we go back? Probably. Would it be better if there were updated features? Absolutely. This resort is expensive and they need to step it up to effectively compete with their more modern competitors.

Rumford, Maine, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Yes if you stay in G- block you have quite a few stairs to climb through winding rain forest and majestic views to get to your room so don't stay in G- block! We did and the stairs were worth the views at a higher vintage point. I also realized that at my age of 45 I need to hit the gym so I can come back next year.
We met friends we hope to see again if not just to be "e" friends. The staff is out of this world friendly and always great you with a smile. The food is spectacular and you must book the private dinner for two on the beach!!!!! sooooo romantic! We got the couples massage and I swear to you I drooled a little. The guys in the water sports shack will teach you wind surfing, take you sailing or teach you to go yourselves, diving, and snorkeling are fantastic! The entertainment team makes sure that if you want to play and have fun you surely will but if you just want to lay back and get some sun you are left alone!!! My wife and I can not wait to go back!!!!! Oh and Chevel takes the most beautiful and professional photos I have ever had taken on vacation... We bought the photo disk at the end of our trip.....Well worth the money!

2 Thank Eric R
CSS_Operations_Mgr, Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Thank you so much for your review and for all of your positive comments! We hope that this holiday will encourage you to return to Couples Sans Souci again in the very near future.

Nicholas Lynch
Brighton and Hove
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We travelled mid February for a fortnight ,having stayed at Couples Swept away a couple times before, we thought a change was in order,good decision, San Souchi has the same style of food and service as CSA. beaches are totally different and because of the two beaches at CSS i never felt we were chasing sunbeds plenty of shade,beautiful grounds.
Downside one hour fifty mins in a cramped mini bus from the airport that is full is not much fun after a ten and a half hour flight particularly if your six foot three.I do like a mojo cocktail but for over seven nights none of the bars had mint it became a bit of a joke after a few nights, but surely this is a basic bar requirement . WI FI coverage could be improved not available in the room but certainly on the beach found the rooms small by comparison to CSA .

Apart from these minor irritants what makes this place is the staff whos committment to making you enjoy your holiday is second to none.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Graham512
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Couples Sans Souci, positive comments are always encouraging to the staff.

The supply of mint on island can be inconsistent from time to time, so our Landscaping department has developed a herb garden which features mint as a primary crop. We should be able to offer Mojitos year round in the future. We're also working on improvements to the property wifi, but reception will still be subject to the equipment that you're using. At the moment, i'm able to secure connectivity with my phone across 90% of the resort - quite a feat considering the terrain.

Nicholas Lynch
Couples Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!