I tend only to write reviews of places which I think merit 5 stars. I feel that unless a place is really terrible then I should just keep silent.
This is the third Couples Resort we have been to and I felt it was the best. At Tower Isle the selection of food in the restaurant at breakfast and lunch was better but the buffet restaurant for some reason amplifies sounds, giving the noisy atmosphere of a school canteen. This contrasted with the relaxing atmosphere of Sans Souci.
The beach at Negril was really unbeatable but it was public. The beaches at Sans Souci were small but more private..
People have been critical of the stairs at Sans Souci. If you have a physical handicap this might be a problem but there is transport available for those who can't make the journey. If you consider yourself to be able bodied and the stairs are a factor then you should give serious consideration to your physical fitness. My wife and I are 64 and I certainly would not consider the stairs as a hazard or a problem - indeed they help with fitness and the hilly location provides great views from many vantage points. We stayed in Carnation which was a few steps below the Balloon Bar. The first night we were a bit worried that there would be noise from the bar but this proved not to be the case, although it might be for those very early bedders. Being from Europe we are always amazed how few North Americans are still partying after 11pm.
Now things that make Sans Souci special:
The very relaxing atmosphere in the whole resort.
The amazing staff. Nothing is too much bother and always a smile. Even the gardeners have a nice word to say.
The lake and wild life with exotic birds, turtles and pelicans diving into the water. Cracker and Anita the parrots who got to know us well.
The wonderful people we met from England, Canada and USA.
The Balloon Bar where the staff were simply outstanding. Always laughing and I never waited more than 10 seconds to be served. They also do the best Bob Marleys ever.
The Casanova where the food was excellent and the piano was a great touch.
The fact that you can book any restaurant any time without limit.
The mineral pool where you can have a relaxing soak or do water exercise at 11am.
The little nooks and crannies all over with occasional hammocks, views and even a jacuzzi in amongst jungle.
The watersports team who were always so helpful and remembered everyone's name.
Our suite had two distinct rooms. One had Settee and armchairs, table and chairs, sideboard with fridge and bar etc. and a flat screen TV. The other had large bed, en suite bathroom with double basin. The shower was very good but in the bath with a shower curtain. There was a small balcony which was not big enough to sit out on.
I see a lot of complaints that the rooms are outdated but the whole place has a relaxed colonial feel and we felt that the only thing that could have improved our accommodation would have been a walk in shower and perhaps a larger balcony but when you consider that we had a full suite with our own bar for the basic price then the value and comfort were exceptional.
We loved the parrots but we would like to have seen information on their cages about names, age, sex and types of parrots and whether they bite. These creatures crave attention and I think more people would pay them a visit if there was more information.
We met the general manager Pierre and found him to be charming. We later heard from another guest that his wife has been very ill. He must have been very stressed but no one would have known. We wish them all the very best and hope for a good outcome.
A small note for Brits only and nothing to do with Sans Souci:
We have been to the Caribbean 11 times, each time for 2 weeks. This is the first time we have flown with Virgin mainly because we normally fly from Manchester. We have never had anything to complain about in the past but Virgin flights were that bit special.
The bottom line is: would we go back? YEAH MON TOMORROW!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the cliffs of Jamaica’s emerald coast above a dazzling stretch of Caribbean, Couples Sans Souci beckons you to surrender mind, body and soul. The resort's 'no worries' mantra comes to life as every day unfolds. Lose yourself exploring secluded stone pathways. Melt away stress in the healing natural mineral springs. Feel a rush of exhilaration scaling Dunn's River waterfalls. Or simply drift asleep in a hammock by the sea. Located in vibrant Ocho Rios, the resort's design pays tribute to an understated colonial elegance—intricate latticework, white woven furnishings and feathered palms set a refined stage for your island escape. Dining options abound—from authentic Jamaican fare to five-star international cuisine. Private cabanas at cliff's edge provide the ideal setting for our signature spa treatments, while the choice of resort activities knows no limits. Learn the art of living well while living in the moment at Couples Sans Souci. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, LoveHolidays, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Couples Sans Souci reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Sans Souci Hotel Ocho Rios
- Couples San Souci
- Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios
- Couples Sans Souci Jamaica/Ocho Rios