Couples Sans Souci
US$198
Hibiscus Lodge Hotel(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$139
Columbus Heights(Ocho Rios)
US$129
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Chrisanns Beach Resort(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$74
Reggae Hostel Ocho Rios(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$63
Hotels.com
US$1,250
Official Site
4,159 results
All reviewsmineral poolballoon barbella vistasunset beachsan souciau natural beachb blockmain beachbeachfront suitestarlight galacasanova restaurantroom servicefriday night galamineral grottonooks and cranniessmoothie barin room dining
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We went to this place in October 2012 to celebrate my husband's birthday. Our impressions are mixed. Pluses: 1) the territory is gorgeous! They take good care of it. There are lots of cozy nooks with hammocks to rest. 2) the golf course that is included was also a good one. We've spent there almost all our time. Minuses: 1)It was a low season and a rainy season. Therefore, they did not have a lot of entertainment. We were bored in the evenings. 2) I was sort of upset about the whole "Yo man" attitude demonstrated by staff. They were not trying to do their best to make our vacation enjoyable. They were enjoying themselves. 3) The buildings and rooms are very old. Our jacuzzi did not work. There was a nasty smell of old furniture. 4) The food was too spicy to my taste and there were not a lot of options a la carte. I also had difficulty eating in the main restaurant surrounded by all these stray cats nagging the food. To top it off, on our first night there I was served a glass of wine with traces of old lipstick on it. It was good that I noted this before I started drinking it. So, any meal would start from checking how clean silverware and glassware were. This should not happen in a 5 star resort. 5) Although they knew about my husband's birthday, there was no acknowledgement of it whatsoever.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank olesyazh
CSS_Operations_Mgr, Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Couples Sans Souci, we very much appreciate your support and are so glad that you chose to vacation with us. We were, however, a bit surprised at a few of your comments and would therefore like to point out a few things in particular.

Our evening entertainment offerings vary on a nightly basis but we do not reduce those offerings at any time of the year. In the event of rain, we do not cancel the entertainment, we simply move the event indoors.

Couples Sans Souci is one of Jamaica's landmark resorts, and of course we will occasionally have maintenance challenges because items like en-suite Jacuzzis are in constant use. In the event that we are unable to complete a repair in a very timely manner, we are usually happy to offer a room change.

Our resort has three restaurants, each offering an a la carte dining experience. We do have two extremely popular themed nights when we offer sumptuous buffet dining but we certainly don't think that this diminishes our a la carte offerings.

Once again, thank you for your review and we do hope to host you again in the future.
Warm regards,

Nicholas Lynch

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We visited Couples Sans Souci fro 8/4-8/11 for our honeymoon. I read tons of reviews before booking this hotel so I felt I was going with realistic expectations. On arriving in Jamaica we found our way to the Couples lounge which was a nice touch. We were there just long enough to go to the bathroom and get something to drink. We were escorted to our bus and on our 2 hour trip to Couples Sans Souci. The trip is long but with the right driver it can be interesting to hear about the area.

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted with champagne and a cool towel. We then went to check in and were told our room was not yet ready. While waiting we got lunch and rested in a hammock. We were told we would be given the best room in the resort. I figured this is what they told everyone but boy was I wrong. We stayed in B block and literally had the best view/room in the resort.

Yes the rooms need some improvements. Our room had many repaired tiles, a leaking roof, a dresser with barely usable drawers, and general wear and tear. This was all expected based on my previous reviews. Housekeeping does a great job cleaning the rooms and turning down the bed. I have a fear of bed bugs but this room was so clean I was sure there would be no issues, and there were not! Included in the room are body wash and a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner pumps in the shower. Our hairdryer was very small but luckily we brought our own.

There are a few restaurants on the property. Palazzina is open for all meals. They have a breakfast buffet with an omelet bar, fruit smoothies and espresso. The breakfast was excellent! Lunch is also buffet and typically delicious with a carving station on the outside. Dinner was reservation only at Casanova and Palazzina although we had no difficulty getting a reservation. Dinner leaves a lot to be desired. The meat is low quality and chewy. We did eat lunch at the beach restaurant one day and my husband's burger was inedible. On the other hand my jerk chicken was good. We did not return to that restaurant as the buffet was much better. We did order room service two evenings. The menu is set and does not change. The first night my snapper had tons of bones, the second it had none. Room service does take a significant period of time but that is to be expected.

The service at the restaurants is pretty slow. With dinner being the worst. We do not drink so ordering something like iced tea got a strange look and then took anywhere from 15-20 minutes to get. This type of service was average at both Palazzina and Casanova. We had difficulty with always getting limes when we asked for lemons but I think this may be a difference in culture. Also this resort only carries Splenda and Sugar. If you prefer Equal or Sweet n Low you should make sure to bring plenty with you.

The two special nights included a Beach Party and Starlight Gala. Both of these nights had extensive food selections and good shows. During the beach party we were mere steps from the ocean. Each evening there is a great show!

Sans Souci has several pools which are well kept and nice to hang out in. The beach is another story. This beach is SMALL. The swimming area is even smaller and full of seaweed. If we wanted to get in the ocean we took our floaties out with us so we didn't have to step in the seaweed. With my previous trips to Aruba, Bahamas and St. Thomas I guess I was spoiled. This beach is not white powdery sand and the ocean is full of seaweed.

We did take the complimentary glass bottom boat trip, Dunns river falls excursion as well as utilize the paddleboats and waterskiing. These are all great additions to the resort. Although I will say the water sports crew is not overly friendly and are actually quite sarcastic and inadvertently laughing at you. They seem uninterested in making these inclusions special.

Which leads me into one of my complaints. I had the expectation that I would be treated like "family" at Couples. I did not feel this way at all. I felt like they viewed us a stupid American tourists. They would laugh at you or act like you were bothering them. This attitude followed from guest services to the restaurants to swim up bars. The staff would mock and laugh at a question you asked or huff like you are bothering them. Honestly, I was hoping the customer service would be much much better. There customer service was no better than the Best Western that we stayed in at the hotel in Baltimore. They should really work on teaching the staff to be respectful at a minimum. No one says hello when you walk past some don't even respond when you say "Good Morning."

My last complaint would be the way you are treated if you are a non-drinker. I specifically requested not to have alcohol in our mini fridge but it remained there the entire stay. We also were treated like second class citizens for asking for soda at the swim up bars. We were also frequently told they had no water. The entertainment stay gave mainly alcohol as prizes. When we played table tennis my husband was told he was playing for a bottle of rum. He told the staff that he doesn't drink. The guy just chuckled and said this is what you're playing for. My husband won and ended up giving his gift to the gentleman he beat. This happened repeatedly. I won at bingo and was only given the option of rum. I played fisher prize and this too was to win rum. I understand many enjoy getting alcohol but if you have guests who have communicated they do not it would be nice to offer a shirt or other gift. This was concerning for me since my husband is a recovering alcoholic. Now granted we could go to a non-all inclusive resort but shouldn't we be treated the same as other guests even if we aren't drinking? You would think they would appreciate us more since they are saving money off of us!

I'm not sure if we would stay at Sans Souci again. Had the customer service been better this could be at best a 4 star resort. For 5 stars there beach would need to be much improved. I think that Negril would fit our needs better and if I stayed at another Couples resort I would hope to have a better visit that included better customer service. Overall, Couples Sans Souci offers great beachfront suites, pools, nightly shows, breakfast and lunch, and spa. They have a lot of work to do in the area of customer service and the beach (which I don't think they can change without dredging out the seaweed).

Room Tip: B block is awesome for a view of the ocean. You can also watch the Starlight gala from your balcony. We stayed on the 3rd floor which helped with the view!
6  Thank Sleepy832
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Beautiful surroundings, wonderful staff and delicious food. We loved it here. The views are exactly as in the brochures- its a stunning place and during our visit in August it never felt crowded and you could always get a sun lounger.
Yes it needs a deep clean in places and a few minor repairs but they were doing some of these whilst we were there.
You'd be best to take American rather than Jamaican dollars as this is what everything seems to be priced in, but wait to buy your rum at the airport - its half the price of the resort shop. The trip to the Taj Mahal shopping mall was too long, all the shops sell the same stuff and we had finished in half an hour but had to wait another hour and a half for our resort taxi.
Dunns River Falls was great fun. The beach party and gala evening at the hotel were REALLY good and the amount and choice of food was huge.
We loved it here and would recommend it to anyone (if you have mobility problems the steps could be an issue but we were glad of the exercise after all that food!).
I can see why people go here time after time and we hope to return in the near future.

Room Tip: we were in G block. It was a bit of a walk up and down steps but we didn't mind that. Those with mobility problems could ask for a ground floor room in A or B. It was very quiet after 11pm ut even before that the noise from the Balloon Bar was not too bad. We enjoyed being next to the elevator which took us straight to the mineral pool-our favourite place to be!
4  Thank Nodyalc
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We visited Couples Sans Souci for our 3rd time...it won't be our last. Immediately, upon arriving at the resort, we immediately relax. We were greeted by the bell hop who instantly recognized us, welcomed us "home" and said he would take care of our bags.

For the rest of the week, we were treated to fantastic service and excellent meals all at a spectacular setting.

The staff go above and beyond to make our stay truly memorable. The one night we had dinner at the late sitting and my wife ordered the surf and turf, a very popular entree. Unfortunately, my wife's order was the last order of the night and when the plate arrived, only one shrimp was on her plate. She mentioned to the waiter that she loved the shrimp however, there was only one on her plate. He explained that they were out of shrimp as the entree had been so popular. Several minutes later the Head Chef arrived at our table with a plate of shrimp for my wife. The Chef had found more shrimp and had cooked them especially for her. It is this attention to guests, that keeps us coming back time after time

Night after night we enjoyed the fabulous food at the many restaurants. We have been to many resorts but the food at Sans Souci is truly superior

If you expecting a fancy room with marble tubs etc., then Sans Souci is not the resort for you. Sans Souci is true Jamaican charm, rather than another large Miami Beach style resort transplanted to Jamaica. It is this charm that allows us to relax and wind down

Thanks Couples Sans Souci and to all the staff for another fabulous vacation. Looking forward to returning to our 2nd home again

Room Tip: We prefer G block. Although there are many stairs to get to the upper level of the resort, the views from the rooms are spectacular. Well worth the extra walking
4  Thank James N
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Nice large rooms, great view from the balcony, the bed was decorated with flowers each night. Food was fantastic from the breakfast buffet to dinner. The grounds were beautiful. Some areas were in need of dome refreshing but over all very nice and tranquil. All you want to do from laying around the pool/beach to water sports, spas, mineral pools, exercise room au natural beach or hanging at the many bars.

• Stayed: August 2013