“Absolutely Amazing”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We went to Couples Sans Souci for our honeymoon. It was definitely a good choice. it was both of our first times out of the country and we could not have picked a better place. Everyone was so friendly and we were taken care of as soon as we landed at the airport. It was also wonderful that there was no language barrier. The staff seemed to thoroughly enjoy their jobs and always made sure we were enjoying ourselves. The food was great, especially the soups. It was 80 and 90 degrees and we couldn't get enough of the soups--we had a different kind each day! Restaurant choices were great, casual to formal. And the bars, including the smoothie bar, were always open and delicious. The excursions that were included were well worth it-- we did glass bottom boat, Dunn's River Falls, downtown shopping trip, snorkeling, and the Hobie Cat sailing. The resort also provided two entertainment nights, which was great to bring everyone together. We also checked out the Au Naturel Beach...it is a beautiful stretch of beach and very fun to visit. Might as well do it if you are there! Our room was in the B block, which was pretty much a central location to everything. Room service kept it clean, and everything was in working order. One pool was closed for remodeling, but the main pool and mineral pool were plenty to bounce back and forth from. Plus there is a pool at the Au Naturel Beach. Highly recommend Couples Sans Souci!!

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank sarbear3

Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We got married here in 2009 and all I can say is it was perfect! The hotel, grounds, staff, restaurants. I can not think of one fault. It was truly amazing. My hubby did promise me a return visit for our 5th wedding anniversary. So I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank cubajamaica
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I started our honeymoon here and we were quickly made to feel at home and we not allowed to stress about anything. We enjoyed the staff especially Alecia in Guest Services and Jason in Watersports were two people that stood out for us. All of our meals were great and the wait and restaurant staff were extremely helpful and felt like family after a couple of hours. We thoroughly enjoyed our time and were sad to leave.

Room Tip: Definitely get a beachfront and I would also suggest a second floor for a little more privacy but no...
5  Thank jab810
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This is still a quiet unique resort. Its not for those that want to party all night and do lots of fun onsite activities.
It is for relaxing and recharging.

This is exactly what me and my husband have done for the last week. We did see some changes and were told of more coming By the manager. The patio at the Balloon Bar was being repaved and the patio below and by the spa will also be redone. The balloon bar one was soapstone and looking lovely although not finished as yet.

Yes the room still need to be updated and get rid of the blue stripy worn our linen but the rooms are functional and clean and the views are wonderful.
We took part in some pool bar activities, wine tasting and the fishing and won some prizes of rum, wine, rum cream and club mobay tickets ( which was amazing especially as we had a delay).

One criticism I had was of the front desk staff they were not particularly friendly or happy on the whole and that was the first impression. As we were checkin gout with the same person, there was an issue going on with other guests and they were talking about it and even although it is in patois it get easy to pick up what is going on and from a leadership perspective staff should not be talking about other guests in front of guests.

I have no understanding of how they categorize some of their rooms!

The bell hop was much happier and remembered us and made up for his colleagues.
We spent a lot of time doing water sports and the team their are the best and want you to have a fun time.
The gift shop has changed since we were there last with a nice and reasonable selection of gifts and clotting.

We had some favorite staff and they have been there for a few years.

The food was better than last time and was fresh and tasty. I love their soups. Casanova has lovely food but i noticed some things were not new on the menu. Room service was prompt when we used it and they have even brought us things that were not on the room service menu when we asked for it.

We went on a nature walk with Kirk and he wandered around the property for 1 1/4 hrs telling us all about the plants and fruit and had a n great knowledge.

Over all it was a great relaxing time we lay on the beach Had drinks brought to us without asking and they were there for us as soon as we returned from water sports. We finished what was left in a bottle of name brand liquor one night and they went and got another one when we wanted more.

I hope this review helps you make a decision on whether it is right for you :-)

Room Tip: Walk in showers are amazing
8  Thank efoden
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary (August 6-13th) at CSS and had a great time! Yes, I did check out CSS on TA from March through August to make sure we had picked the right resort for us and thanks to everyone on TA, CSS was great! Everyone on TA describes it correctly - it's lovely and the staff puts a lot of time and effort to make the beach and resort parties affairs that rival many wedding receptions! Service was great, very attentive!!!! What makes this place "UNIQUE" is the fact that is NOT like a typical hotel resort and you have to go there with that in mind. It's small and private and tucked away on the side of a cliff. This provides beautiful vistas and unusual paths (with stairs) leading to surprising romantic places to be alone. The hotel never felt crowded! (I think the capacity is 250 people). Never had to fight for beach shade or floats. You're not going to get this privacy and romantic environment in large resorts! I've traveled to other Caribbean Islands and Europe, and this is what you come for. We booked through Cheap Caribean.com which was great - didn't realize I could have directly booked hotel AND Flight with CSS directly. I started communicating with Alecia Thomas (guest services at CSS) BEFORE our trip to make sure we could make our vacation memorable. On the first morning, we went to guests services and Alecia greeted us as if we were old friends! We purchased the "Forever Yours" package and it was well worth it! You get a choice of where you can have your private dinner and ours was in the wedding gazebo (so romantic), flowers EVERYWHERE in the room! Food is great (similar to cruise food- we're not foodies, but we're not afraid to pay for great food). Suggestions: make all of your dinner reservations for the week with guest services on the first day so you don't have to think about it again. Also, get your message on the first day so you can enjoy it without any sunburn! (I got this tip from TA). Don't compare this hotel to USA hotels because you have to remember you're in a different country. I've never had the charm of this place in a USA resort! Yes, it is older (1994) and we stayed in Block B, great location = centrally located, suite was wonderful: little living room, veranda overlooking the beach, huge bathroom, king bed was firm and plenty of pillows! To update other reviewers on TA: we also witnessed on-going repairs: pool deck tiles being replaced, roof replaced on the main pool swim bar-( 6:00pm - 9:00pm), repairs to the spa bathrooms. But this means they are making improvements! Staff was friendly and responded quickly to any concerns we had (only two). Alecia followed up with phone calls during the week to make sure everything ok. (IT WAS!) She gave us hugs upon our departure and she continued to email us after we got home ("I'm your first Jamaican friend"). All of the clientele were very friendly, reasonable people = middle class - not like uppity people we've met (and who ruined our other Caribbean vacations by being demanding and condescending to the staff). Many people (our age group) we met were repeaters and/or came here from other Couples resorts and preferred this place! Honeymooners were fun to be with! Make sure you do Dunn's River Falls (terrific!) and the shopping trip (ok), water sports, which are included. You can do as much or as little as you wanted. YOGA class was terrific! There was never any pressure to purchase anything....just a very private and relaxing place (as evidenced by a very popular USA female comic celebrity (one of the four hosts on The View t.v. show), was staying there during our week and she could have gone anywhere in Jamaica but she chose this place!). The only reason for the 4 stars is the plumbing in our room needed replacement washers in faucets, shower head needed de-declogging but all worked. (Who cares, you're not in your room all that much). Another tip: the airport at Montego Bay is lacking in food choices on the first floor, before you can enter the rest of the airport to wait at your gate (the only "decent" place was Burger King for breakfast (UGH!). Maybe purchasing the Mombray lounge would have been worth it? I don't know. If you want the best value for your dollar, all-inclusive and a laid-back relaxing place with beautiful romantic vistas, great food and great staff with no pretense, this is the place for you! We would go back again!

Room Tip: We stayed in B block (suite B36), corner ocean view, 3rd floor suite. Very private, no noise, centr...
7  Thank TwosomeTravelers2013
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Went here based on reviews and was extremely disappointed. Rooms are dated, the beach (I am being generous calling it a "beach") is small with bad sand and rocky when you walk into the water (you don't feel like you are even in the ocean, it feels more like a bad lake), food at restaurants was just passable, liquor/drink selection was terrible and there was very little to do at the resort. Only thing that was good was that they let us transfer to Couples Swept Away in Negril for the balance of the trip. I really don't see why anyone would give this place more than 2 stars.

18  Thank Anonymust
CSS_Operations_Mgr, Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

We are very sorry that Couples Sans Souci did not meet your expectations but found a number of your observations very surprising.

The alcohol selection is standardized across all Couples Resorts, so there would have been no differences between our offerings and those at Swept Away. Similarly, all four resorts share a Group Executive Chef who ensures that the quality standards are consistent.

Couples Sans Souci has a total of 600 feet of beach split between two locations, while this does not compare with the 7 mile beach that Swept Away is on, most of our guests appreciate the fact that both of our beaches are completely private and offer unparalleled seclusion.

It is unfortunate that the private, romantic atmosphere for which Couples Sans Souci is famed was not what you were looking for.

Nicholas Lynch
Operations Manager

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We have been going to Couples for years, especially San Souci. It is a very beautiful place where my wife and I have spent some special occasions. We hoped it would last. I sent the below review to Randy Russell, the Chief Romance Officer, after no response from my travel agent sending it to Pierre, the resort manager, and the Amex rep for Couples. I expected some response, but after weeks/months, I am posting here to let others know, and to form their own opinions.

Bottom line, Couples seems to hang their hat here simply on location. Over the years there has been no improvement (even degradation) to the older rooms (which are excellent in location/layout). Service has also taken on a much different complexion, where the people we've met over the years, and very much enjoyed, seem very reserved and unhappy - almost afraid. Strange.

If there was one theme to our visit, it was just that simple things were a big hassle. Please read below, it contains good and bad, and is exactly as presented to Couples numerous times - with only silence in return. I edited only 2 parts - to remove employee names in the spirit of HR privacy.

Needless to say, I have no idea if we will return or not. We vacation 4-6 times a year, and always had one reserved here to revisit special memories. Tough call, as there are some great resorts - see my review on Secrets Marquis Los Cabos (excellent).

In short, Couples complete lack of response to my travel agent or me is my case-in-point....

August 5, 2013

Hey Randy,

Hope this finds you well. I’ll try to keep it brief…

Below is an exchange between me and Tammy (our travel agent). She had forwarded this a number of times to various people at Couples, copying Pierre, and no response. As she and I continue to work together on other trips, it kept coming up that nobody bothered to acknowledge it.

So I am sending it to you.

Bottom line – we love Couples (especially San Souci), and are trying to be good customers. Kim and I have spent some very special occasions there, and were hoping for many more. And we have no problem with problems, but we definitely have a problem with some of the stuff below and the nobody responding at all when sent thru the proper channels.

I must emphasize that we are looking for nothing from this, other than your positive use of this constructive feedback.

Keep in mind that what is below is the unfiltered version, but at this point I really don’t mind.

There’s more in between these comments as well, so if you have any questions I’m happy to talk.

I also want to emphasize that part below where it says “We aren’t complainers.” We aren’t, I promise. Perhaps we have high standards, but that’s one reason we like Couples. But we’ve been there many times, and make another 3-4 vacations a year. It is rare (only 2 other times in my life) that I’ve written anything like this – and they were horrible incidents.

So, thanks for taking the time to read this. Obviously we haven’t done anything with it other than send it to the Couples rep for Tammy and Pierre a couple times.

Regards, hope to see you in the islands.

JRW

From: Woodward, Jason
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:13 PM
To: Tamara Brubaker
Subject: RE: Couples

I know we sound like complainers, but we really aren’t. We’d have to be convinced a decent bit to consider Couples again. Here’s what sticks out in our head the most:

Club Mobay – awesome. Will buy it every time. No questions asked.

Transfer – very good.

Everything was Couples, unexpectedly. But things seem to have changed. In short, nobody seemed happy. A couple good people, and we made sure they got credit. But they were by far the exception. Overall, just seemed to be a hassle about most stuff.

Room was a major hassle. They tried to stick us in a lousy room in C for the Penthouse. No balcony, no view. It’s a joke it’s even a penthouse. But “nothing else at all was available anywhere” until we told them we wanted to go back to a OBOS category. Magically E block came open right then. Amazing. No different than our usual room. View was good, but those rooms are dated and we had several repair issues.

We wouldn’t do a Penthouse again unless we knew it was in D. Again, they couldn’t care less about our request or # of visits (knew several newbie couples in great penthouses). They hadn’t even looked at your notes, and ignored them when I showed your copy.

Mgmt invisible – all week, except goofy repeaters dinner speeches.

No music at SSB pool for several days (repairing one day, not on others).

Couldn’t get a working coffee pot for 4 days – asked 4 times. Room service often took up to an hr. Had to call on safe. Fans in both rooms (G block then C block) were horrible and squeaked and groaned when on. Never fixed. We gave up (picked coffee pot battle).

Won $100 gift certificate at repeaters dinner. Went to spa. Lady said “these are usually only $50.” Argued for ½ hr while she checked and finally gave it to us. Mgr said $100, paper said $100 – she said $50. Mindboggling.

Got $25 gift certificate to gift shop in Just Because package I bought (with resort credit from Romance Rewards). Tried to buy $60 purse. Wouldn’t take credit of $25 against purse. Said we had to buy something for $25. What?! Said we wouldn’t buy purse. Magically they said they would put purse on our room, then take $25 off bill at front desk when we brought coupon. Ugh. Would not sell purse, take certificate (paid for on room), and put $35 addl on room. Huh?

Overall, employees seemed down, tired, more robotic. I felt bad for them, especially the ones I knew tried to be (or were before) happy.

Taneisha was a bartender who was there every day except 2 at poolbar. She was very nice, but seems like she was very reserved on purpose – very businesslike. Very good service from her.

Entertainment was pretty good.

Food was good. Casanova was very good. Great server one night – Gibson.

Property looked great overall (landscaping, etc). Rooms are the exception – seems to be very little upkeep, improvement in older blocks (that we were in). Some of the things we found had to have been reported, and still not fixed. Example – both fans sounded like they were coming off the ceiling when on. Nobody could have slept thru it, nobody.

Spa service was very good (gift certificate exception aside). Great masseuse – Thelma.

We’re trying to make this work because we love the location/property, the size, the rooms (when in good block, good repair) and some of the amenities. But things have trended downhill since we’ve been going there (faster lately it seems).

JRW

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank woodwardcapital
CSS_Operations_Mgr, Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you very much for your support of Couples Sans Souci although it is unfortunate that you found your recent stay disappointing.

Suites are assigned based on availability at the time of arrival. While we do make every effort to accommodate room requests, occupancy often limits our options and in this instance, all our Penthouses were occupied. The Pavarotti Suite may not have been to your taste but it is extremely popular with many of our guests.

I do find it very unusual that you were not able to secure a working coffee pot for some time and I must apologize for whatever confusion caused that misstep. Similarly, the challenges that you faced with the gift certificates were aberrations. Both employees were either overstepping their authority or misunderstanding the resort's promotional programmes. I understand that both incidents were addressed by the relevant department heads but again, allow me to apologize for any resulting confusion.

It has, of course, been some time since your visit. In the interim we have been engaged with a number of improvement efforts - a new Jacuzzi at SSB, new tiles for the Balloon Bar and Spa Terraces, a total renovation of Rolly's Salon, pool renovations at the Balloon Bar and SSB, as well as renovation of the Spa Gazebos and Bella Vista Restaurant. In short, I think that it would be safe to say that Couples is committed to continued maintenance and improvement at Couples Sans Souci and that commitment is evident now more than ever.

Once again, thank you for your continued support of Couples Resorts, we do look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

#11 of 64 in Montego Bay
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
#14 of 80 in Negril

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!