“best place on earth”

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Oneida, New York
“best place on earth”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My wife and I went to Sans Souci on 9/23-9/28 2013 to celebrate our 20th . We had the best time ever. The resort is very big with only 150 rooms so threre is plenty of space to be alone if you wanted. The rooms are very clean and had everything you needed. People say that the rooms are outdated,but I think it adds to the plantation feel of the resort.There were plenty of things to do at the resort if you wanted and no pressure to do anything if you didn't want. We went snorkling, on the glass bottom boat. I also took the resort scuba course. The instructor was very good and safety was always his first concern but it was fun. I cant wait to get certified so i can dive again.
The food was soooooooooo good, with 3 restaurants to eat at, and room service from 6 AM to 11PM. There was also a late night girll opened all night. Palazzina was our favorite, with Tina Raydean and Cransten who had a specail meal prepared for us so we could try some of his favorite food. We had diner at the Casanova with krestson as a waiter, he was great.The service at all of the restaurants was the best we have ever had, hands down.The portions were just the right size so you could enjoy each part of the meal. There were 2 buffets/parties that the resort put on. One was on the beach and one on the main lawn. The food was great at both and the entertainment was also very good. Your glass was never empty and ther was never a long wait. We dont drink alot but it sure looked like people didn't have any problem keeping their glasses full and I dint here any complaining about the quality of the drinks. We had many virgin drinks and they were great. Bryan at the pool bar was very fun and his service was great. We also had a private diner on the beach for our 20th and Junior was our waiter, he was aslo the one who dilivered our coffee and dainish to our room in the morning.
The spa was being renovated but they stilll had full service. We had a couples massage in one of the huts on the cliffs. I had never had one before and it was wonderful with the waves hitting the shore right below us. Joan, Marsha, and and Alissa were great.
The grounds of the resort were stunning with paths all over and beautiful places to sit and relax. There are hammocks and hot tubs to find. There are a lot of steps and ground to cover but thats Ok because the food is so good you need to walk it off. The main beach was a little small but it was private and there were plenty of chairs (all with floats) to sit at. There is also the au naturel beach whitch is very nice. It is no clothing from 9-5 and then it is open to all for the best sunsets ever. Ther are 3 pools pluse the one at sunset beach. the pool up by the lobby was hardly ever used so you could be alone there most times.Ther mineral pool was great and there is a veggie/ smoothy bar there too, Nicoy makes the best smoothies. There is also a mineral groto that was a great place to cool off. They say if you sit in it for 20 min you will add 5 years to your life.
The activities were alot of fun. Linguni, Spagetti, and Squash were fun to be around as well as the rest of the activities staff. The water sports team was very good and they helped you to get in and out the paddle boats, kayaks, paddle boards and water bikes. They will also teach you how to sail on a Hobbie cat. There is wake boarding and waterskiing too. You can book a fishing trip or a private cruise on their power boat(there is a charge). There was nerver any pressure to do anything but they were always ready to help you have a good time.
To my wife and I one of the best parts of our trip was the staff. I know I named some but every staff member we came in contact with seemed to be happy and the all asked if you were alright and having a good time. Even the grounds staff would stop and see if you were OK, Albert was one that we meet and we will be in contact with him though facebook. I think the staff truly wants you to have a great time so you will come back to their resort, we will be comming back in Feb 2015 and I cant wait to here "welcome home" when we get there. There have been some bad reviews about Sans Souci but dont listen to them. We are not world travelers but if you cant have a great vacation here you should give up and stay home because this place was wonderful.

Room Tip: We had a beachfront room that was close to most of the resaurants and activities. If you have troubl...
7 Thank hender1776

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,273)
Columbus, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This was an amazing trip... Accommodations, food, drinks, activities and staff were all top-shelf... I was already PADI certified and went on a dive almost everyday at no-charge... My girlfriend got certified and spoiled to death in the incredible water and sights...

Room Tip: Get a room in the A-block...
5 Thank Chad S
Houston
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Me and my husband came to San Souci for our honeymoon from August 4-11 2013. I had been to Jamaica before and knew I would return one day. I'm glad we chose San Souci!

Pros:

Transportation: First of all, the arrival at the airport couldn't have gone any smoother. We arrived and immediately entered the Couples lounge after getting our bags. We checked in and within 15 minutes the bus was ready for departure. That gave us just enough time to go to the bathroom and get a free beer in the lounge. I had warned my husband that the drive to San Souci was about 1-1/2 - 2 hours from the airport but to expect the bus to stop at one tourist trap (at least). I was pleasantly wrong as it was a straight shot to the hotel. On my first visit to Jamaica the crazy bus drivers just about gave me a panic attack, but this driver was much more conservative. I felt completely safe.

Checkin and room: Upon arrival we were greeted with champagne. Our room wasn't ready as we were a bit early so they took our bags and we were able to get a late lunch. After lunch we checked in and our bags were waiting for us in the room. The room was exactly what we booked and my sweet husband had ordered a romance package so there were flowers and a bottle of champagne waiting for us.

Bars: The swim up bar was where we spent most of our time. Shot out to "BRYAN' for taking care of us at the bar! He was very friendly and kept everyone entertained. I've been to a few all inclusive hotels and you tend to have to wait to get a drink. We never waited more than a few minutes here. It was never crowded anywhere at the hotel, in fact. You don't need to bring your 'Bubba' cup because getting a refill is quick and convenient. They do have beach service also.

Spa: We had a free 25 minute couples massage which all newlyweds get (with proof of wedding). I recommend upgrading to a full massage though. We did and it was worth it. I was a bit concerned while waiting for our massage because I'm used to waiting in a nice indoor room with a robe and drink for my treatment. Jamaica is HOT and we waited outside. Once the massage therapists arrived they immediately took up to a cabana on the cliff for our massage. It was amazing! I'm not a big massage person but the location and and ambience made this experience unforgettable. There was a great ocean breeze through the cabana keeping it nice and cool. The waves crashed on the rocks below for ultimate relaxation.

Excursions: The only excursion we did was Dunns River Falls. I highly recommend going. I went on both my trips to Jamaica. I would have liked to explore a bit on my own versus going hand and hand up with the group, but they wouldn't allow that (for safety and liability reason I'm sure).

Buffets: We got to experience two huge buffets as Jamaica was having their independence celebration while we were there. Both that and the regular weekly beach buffet were amazing. Plenty of great food and not too crowded. There was so much food I didn't even get to try half of it before I was full.

Restaurants: All of the restaurants had great food and service. You have to make reservations a day or two before for a couple restaurants so its best to do this when you check in. We also had a lovely and romantic dinner on the beach one night. I felt so special!

Property: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the layout and grounds here. I loved being able to walk up and down different levels and finding hidden pathways and random hammocks around the property. I didn't mind the walking as I needed to burn off all the great food I ate lol. I appreciated the natural landscape and well maintained property. There were beautiful birds and flowers all over. The wedding gazebo is amazing and I recommend if you want to have a destination weddnig to do it here. The nude beach is a better beach as you can see down the coastline (the main beach is in a cove) but we could only visit after 5 or 6 pm when it is not required to be au naturel. The only thing that would have made it even better is if the mineral pool was made into an infinity pool (but I'm splitting hairs).

Activities: There were soooooo many activities but I like how there was no pressure to join in the fun. There was no screaming activities director or super loud music. We did a snorkeling trip and it was beautiful. It's a shame that so much of Jamaica's reefs are dead. My husband took the free class and scuba diving trip. He enjoyed it.

Beach: The beach is in a cove giving it complete privacy. This means no pressure to buy anything from locals. The chairs did get "reserved" pretty early with towels, but there seemed to always be some available. We didn't pay much attention since we were at the swim up bar mostly. The sand was nice and soft and not rocky like some others are.

Staff: I can't say enough about the friendly and attentive staff. Everyone seemed to genuinely enjoy their jobs and were eager to please.

Cons: Rooms are in need of updating but they were clean and we weren't in the room enough to care anyway.

Room service: The room service was a great bonus but expect the delivery to take a while, strictly due to the layout of the hotel having so many stairs. Also the menu for room service is very limited, only about 5 items.

Room Tip: From what I've heard from others there really isn't a bad room in the resort. I was in &quo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank tx_sara
new york
Reviewed 25 September 2013

If you want outdated this is your place! Man made beach needs sand. Rooms are old, our penthouse suite leaked from ceiling and patio door when it rained. Staff is friendly but know obsoletely nothing about resort. As long as you don't have any questions you will be in good shape otherwise expect to wait while 5 staff members consult. Most of the bartenders expect to be tipped; if not service suffers -have not seen that at other all inclusives.

11 Thank matt3432
CSS_Operations_Mgr, Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Matt,

It is unfortunate indeed that you did not enjoy your stay with us at Couples Sans Souci, but I would like to respond to a few of your points. We have two private beaches at the resort, neither is man made. We don't have a record of a penthouse leak in September. It has "absolutely" been my experience that our permanent staff are remarkably well informed about the resort and you will find many other reviews here that share that positive experience. The resort's team member handbook clearly states that solicitation of tips can result in separation from the company; our staff are well aware of this clause.

Regards,
Nicholas Lynch
Operations Manager
Ohio
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We fell in love with this resort. It is so beautiful with the cliffs overlooking the ocean and all of the spa cabanas up there with such a view and so relaxing. It is a smaller and a little older resort than what we were used to but the rooms were large and clean and the staff is the friendliest I have ever encountered. They knew you by name after the first day. The food was great! We only stayed 4 days as we split time at Tower Isle but I wish we could have stayed at San Souci the entire time. We did the scuba program as we were certified years ago and I had not gone in years. I did the resort course to just get re-aclimated and they were so patient and great with my dive. I will definitely be doing a refresher and get back into diving. For anyone that has never dove before, take advantage of the free resort course and experience the thrill of underwater adventure. The beach is small but private so you do not have to put up with pushy vendors interrupting your peace and quiet. Try this resort and you will not be sorry. The shops at the resort were pretty reasonable and the jewelry store had some really good deals. One note- there is a lot of walking to get to reception area and to different parts of the resort. No problem for us but if you have limitations- you need to evaluate that before coming.

Room Tip: Get the beachfront- close to everything.
5 Thank Deb47Ohio
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Couples San Souci is a perfect piece of paradise. I'll never forget one day that I was laying on a float in the mineral pool by my new wife, thinking to myself... I have never before had NO care in the world like I do at this moment. That is what this resort does to you. It's beautiful. It's secluded. It's small and yet we met SO many young couples that we really had a lot in common with. Also met and enjoyed drinks with "The View" Host Sherri Shepherd and her husband, who are wonderful people and had nothing but awesome things to say about the resort as well.

Walking around, we couldn't get enough of the beauty of this resort. Every corner features something that literally takes your breath away, between the sea and the trees and the cliffs. We enjoyed exploring little quiet areas where you could literally jump into the ocean and just float. Sure, it may be a little older styled, but that's what adds to its beauty.

The STAFF are incredible. Never did we meet a staff member without a HUGE smile on their face. Melisia in Palazina and Casanova is wonderful. We literally got so close to her that we are going to keep in touch via snail mail. The drinks are awesome. The food is awesome. We enjoyed the smoothie bar daily and loved the addition of ginger to the smoothies. We also enjoyed the water aerobics classes. Dancing was always going on and the crowds were eager participants because of the awesome staff.

We stayed in B block second floor, which was perfect. It was a close walk to everything and we woke every morning to the beautiful ocean. Watersport inclusions were great. We enjoyed snorkeling, Hooves horseback riding, Dunns river, and Margaritaville (it's WILD!) Also, the spa is excellent and is just pure bliss.

We loved this place so much that we were homesick when we got back from the honeymoon. What a dream. Don't miss out on this place.

Room Tip: B Block was great. Close to everything!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank James O
Illinois
Reviewed 16 September 2013

There are few resorts, that one can say, it is truly unlike any other place, and Couples Sans Souci is one such place.
A resort actually built in the cliffs, with it's entire layout perfectly entwined with it's natural sounding. Yes there are stairs and lot's of trees, but without them, this resort would not be so unique.
Also, with it's originality comes exceptional staff members. My husband has mobility issues, and the staff accommodated him to the best of their ability. A van would drive him from our beachfront suite to the top of the resort , at least daily, per his request. Almost every staff member we encountered were great.
Loved the fact that the entertainment was hosted outside next to the Balloon Bar, with a gorgeous view of the ocean. Casino night in this area was great fun. We also spent each morning after breakfast at the pond directly behind our room, loved feeding all the birds and turtles.
Our room was clean, had a nice layout, a great location, wonderful housekeeping staff, large balcony, and a jacuzzi that could fit 2 !
Our meals were all good. Especially liked the fact that for lunch you could eat at the beach grill, on the terrace at Pallazina , or inside with the AC.
At night Casanova's atmosphere could not be beat nor could it's food. Loved eating at Bella Vista also, we always got a table directly on the beach, loved the strolling musicians and the romance of the tiki torches and candles.
Again, dinner at Pallizina was always a treat, with some of the best serving staff.
The beach party and the Friday night gala were both wonderful evenings.
Enjoyed trying the AN beach one day, made us feel very comfortable.
Mineral pool was my favorite spot each morning, and the aqua size instructor was phenomenal, first time I EVER exercised daily on vacation.
Spent my afternoons on the beach, which was never crowded and offered plenty of shade. Both of the swim up bars ( AN and main beach swim up bar) were full of activities and fun. LOVED the entertainment staff. Plenty of scheduled daily activities in both the main beach area and the AN area.
Husband enjoyed sailing in the Hobie Cats, and we took a nice glass bottom boat tour.
The atmosphere at CSS is welcoming and romantic. Hands down the most romantic resort we have ever visited.
As we walked the grounds, I was just waiting to meet James Bond as we walked, it has that kind of atmosphere.
This place could not be built today, and must be experienced to truly understand the degree of it's beauty.
One area for improvement is the smoothies at the mineral pool area. During our trip they had limited supplies to make smoothies, more options would have been nice.
I will definitely return to this resort someday.

Room Tip: Beachfront Suites closest to AN area.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Couples Swept Away
#14 of 85 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,125 reviews
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!