“Totally In Love”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed Oct 26-Nov 2 for our Anniversary and Husband Birthday. Flight to Jamaica: AirTran direct from Baltimore to Montego Bay-Flight Crew was from Atlanta and were attentive and entertaining and made our 3hr+ flight breeze by.

Arrival: Used Club Mobay for arrival-completely worth it. Seeing your name on the sign as you walk off of the plane and walking by those long lines was a really great feeling. Time from Airplane to Lounge-maybe 10-15 minutes including luggage retrieval. The Couples and Club Mobay are next to each other and we used both in the 10 mins we waited for our shuttle. The Club Mobay lounge has rum punch in addition to Red Stripe and some snacks. They also came around with cold wash clothes which felt wonderfully refreshing after our flight.

Bus transfer to Couples Sans Souci: Was long and slow-our bus had difficulty climbing up the hills and cars were passing us by! But the driver was nice and told us some things on the trip. We stopped once for a potty break which I really think was a smoke break for the guy who asked to stop. Was about 2 hrs with the stop.

Arrival at the resort: Immediately greeted by staff. Champagne and cool cloth. Welcome Home! Saw our luggage come off the bus and off to the lobby to check in-which went smoothly and even though we arrived hours before official check in time we were off to our room with luggage already loaded in hotel shuttle. 2 min ride to A06 and we took 15 to unpack and change into swimsuits. Off to the pool bar we go!

Room: Our room A06 was spotless and spacious and its style and theme felt more comfortable and more like home than any other hotel I've stayed. Outdated-wouldn't say that but its no Ritz Carlton and we were grateful for that. We LOVED using our patio doors to go in and out to the beach and pool all day long. We locked valuables and money in the safe and didn't worry about anything all week as far as leaving our patio doors unlocked on the ground floor. Our location was direct middle of the building and ground floor in building A. Perfect location and we will request ground floor and building A always and hope for the best! Our mini bar was stocked within an hour of our arrival with the request I put in online and was restocked daily according to what we requested on our refill sheets and always by the time we requested.

Food: Even my picky husband found something every meal. Not a bad thing had all week long. Pallazina for breakfast was delicious every day and so was room service breakfast when we had it a couple of times for breakfast. Lunch at the beach grill was my husbands favorite and I liked the Pallazina for the buffet variety. Dinner at Cassanova was delicious but not our favorite but only because it felt too long for us with the different courses and we sat inside. I think we may have enjoyed the outside seating more and will remember that next time. Pallazina for dinner was delicious and the pasta station was the best part. Our favorite restaurant was Bella Vista-the food was wonderful and served at a perfect steady speed. No reservations needed and there is something to be said for sitting a few feet from the ocean lapping while eating dinner with a breeze blowing that made this our favorite. The service at all restaurants was second to none.

Activities: many to choose from and you can keep busy or veg all day. We did a little of both. We arranged on our own a tour and trip to the Bob Marley Museum at 9 Mile. Beautiful Countryside.

Spa: We did a Couples "special" massage and body scrub in a cabana on a cliff. It was a beautiful view and a wonderful relaxing massage.

Grounds: It is beautiful and lush and all of the secret spots are romantic and magical. The stairs are steep and LOTS of them but the resort would not be nearly as beautiful without them. If we called for a shuttle from the beachfront rooms to the lobby it arrived in 5 mins to take us.

The Staff: No hotel or resort we have ever visited have staff like Couples Sans Souci. They know you and you know them like family. From the grounds keepers to the bartenders to the entertainment staff you will be well taken care of. Never have we had staff find us-knowing we were leaving- to hug us goodbye on our last morning.

Couples Sans Souci is beautiful and the food is delicious and its fun and relaxing at the same time. BUT without the staff they have it would just be another nice resort...with the staff they have...you are surely home and feel like family.

Flight home: AirTran to Baltimore direct flight. We had ClubMobay for the departure lounge but for us was a waste of money as we walked around the shops until time for our flight and we barely spent any time there but if you're going to use it-its a nice comfortable place to wait with food and drinks.

We are already planning our return trip in 2015-in fact we decided by day two that we were going back and we'd be going in 2014 if we didn't already have a family trip planned.

Room Tip: Don't want to walk the steps-Choose beachfront in blocks A and B.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Lorijen, double celebration in paradise with us andyou seemed to have had a great time. We are always happy to have you and thankful we could have surpassed your expectations. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,056)

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We spent a week at Sans Souci to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. This was our third trip to Sans Souci and we will definitely return again. The service throughout the resort is top notch and the grounds are maintained very well on a daily basis. We like the peacefullness of the resort and enjoy the layout of the beaches, bars and pools. I cannot report any deficiency that we noted during our visit and I highly recommend this resort for adults who are looking to relax and spend quality time with their significant other.

1  Thank eyedoc123

Dear eyedoc123, Congratulations on your 30th anniversary and for your continued support of Couples Resorts. Happy you had another wonderful experience with us and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

What an amazing experience. My husband and I stayed here in September 2013 and we're already planning to go back. Where to start?? When we arrived at the airport the Couples Lounge is right there and a welcome hello to Jamaica. The desk staff and porters were very friendly and helpful and offered us our first Red Stripe on tap of the trip. After the drive (yes it is every bit of 2 hours but totally worth it), the staff welcomed us warmly and got us all checked in and settled. They even had the bellman walk us to our room and carry our luggage, which is really nice with all of the stairs this place had. A note about the property. Be sure you understand how many steps this place has. It’s built to climb up on to the cliff. This makes for some amazing views and the way the beach is in a cove makes it amazingly private to the resort. That being said, if stairs are hard for you, maybe pick somewhere else. So onto the different parts of the resort...

Dining - the food was wonderful! Food is a really important part of our choice in resorts and we loved the food here. There were different things at the buffet each day which kept it interesting. The a la carte dining was also up to par. We loved having lunch every day at the Beachside Restaurant. The water is just feet away and the staff is always friendly. Dinner at Palizzina was probably my favorite of the restaurants. I was intrigued by a dish on the a la carte menu but was intimidated by the amount of spice it might have (curry) and I mentioned that to our server. She said "no problem" and told me to order something else and she would bring me a side of the curry dish so I could try it. Really very simple but such a nice touch that she just offered. And I was so glad she did because it was delicious. The food always seemed really fresh and there was always lots of fresh fruit and juices if you didn't want a cocktail. Loved the fruit juice bar at breakfast in the morning as well as the make your own bloody mary bar!

Bars - I loved relaxing at the bar right on the beach but the servers coming around while we laid out made it even better. I didn't even have to get up for another drink. Every day the beach seemed to empty towards the evening and everyone was around the pool bar. The bartender was so entertaining and fun that it was right where we all wanted to be.

Evening Entertainment - The parties in the evening were amazing! I hate when everything closes down by the beach at night at a resort and they pull all of their entertainment and activities away from the beach. I'm in Jamaica, I want to be by the water. I can sit in a bar at home. This resort did a better job at this than any resort I have been to yet. Our first night there was the beach party and buffet. Live entertainment and a great buffet with tables set right in the sand next to the water. A perfect introduction to the trip. Our last night there was the starlight gala. It was great. The buffet was even bigger than the one our first night. My favorite part of that last night was the after party at the beach bar and grill. They cleared out the tables and we danced the night away in the sand.

Activity Staff - I can't say enough about all the staff at this resort. They have this great laid back approach to everything but still made us feel so well taken care of. We took advantage of the free scuba class and loved it so much and felt so comfortable with the instructor that we ended up getting certified while we were there. Worth every penny. The rest of the staff at the beach was so much fun. We would talk with them and joke around and they would remember us every day when we saw them. They completely made us feel like we'd been coming to this resort for years but this was our first trip.

Over all, my best statement about this resort came from my husband. We've never understood how people could go back to the same place and/or resort over and over again when there are so many places in the world to travel too. Now, we understand. We will be back again and hope to see some of the same smiling faces.

Room Tip: Book an Ocean suite or a Penthouse suite if you want a good view of the ocean from your balcony. If...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Abby D

Dear abby 7doc, enjoying Jamaica at its best is very important and you seemed to have done just that. We are known for our great staff and service and we are pleased we were able to deliver and you are planning to return already.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed from Nov 14-19th, and had a great time. Although we were supposed to be travelling with another couple (they didn't make it!), we enjoyed ourselves very much. My husband had a tough time navigating the stairs A(and there are a LOT of stairs!) from our original room in the G block, but Shauna at the front desk graciously moved us to a ground level room near the beach, which worked out very well.
Food! It was amazing! The Friday Night Gala rivaled anything we've seen on a cruise ship, with a huge variety of food choices. The restaurants were wonderful, and the staff was great. We also took advantage of the water sports. We aren't golfers, so the golf option was not anything we were interested in. The ride to & from the airport was long....even longer going to the resort because of a very bad accident, which delayed us almost an hour.
Overall, it was great.

Room Tip: Don't like climbing stairs? Get a room in the A or B block.

Dear amyandmikesma,

Thank you for choosing Couples Resorts for your recent vacation. We are always happy to assist with requests,are pleased that you were satisfied and we look forward to catering to your needs more in the future.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed at Couples San Souci November 9-17 and had a fantastic honeymoon experience. It was my husbands first time out of the U.S. and our first time to Jamaica and I felt that we chose the perfect place to go. The food is great! We loved Casanova, but Palazina was amazing too. Edgar at the omelet station made the most delicious omelets every morning. We also enjoyed Bella Vista - for a "casual restaurant" the evening meals were of a surprisingly high caliber. We loved the bartenders at the swim-up bar. They were entertaining and would make anything you asked, even make original creations. Most employees we encountered seemed to enjoy their jobs and worked hard to make sure we enjoyed our stay. Dillano was our favorite waiter - he was helpful and was always in a good mood. We had fun on the Dunns excursion - I would recommend doing it once. I would also suggest checking out the water sports - we both enjoyed snorkeling and the water bikes! I had a blast - but I think my husband had the time of his life. He's already planning for our next trip back.
Our only complaint - and all things considered this isn't major - was the mini-bar refills. We requested a refill of soda, beer, and juice most days - but our request was only filled twice.
Overall, we felt we were treated so well. They worked with us to arrange our tours, and they gave us special treats to celebrate our honeymoon. We would definitely recommend CSS to other couples.

Room Tip: We stayed in E block on the first night - the view was amazing and the patio was large and very nice...
3  Thank mformichelle
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear mformichelle,

Thanks for honeymooning with us in Jamaica. Delighted you enjoyed your time with us allow with Edgars tasty omlettes and Dilliano's great service. We look forward to having you come back and spend some more time with us.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Beautiful resort.The food was excellent.My wife loved the mineral pool and hidden hot tub.The beach was clean and the water was warm. There were plenty of pool and beach chairs and nowhere did it feel overcrowded.We were treated like royalty by every staff member we encountered.Thanks for a great vacation.

Room Tip: Choose a beachfront room if you do not like steps.
3  Thank Bnhoover

Dear Bnhoover,

The mediterranean charm of Sans Souci is always sure to captivate and we are happy you were. You are indeed royalty and we are always happy to have you with us.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed 10/26 to 11/02 in Building B.
Arrival in Montego Bay.
Saturday at 11:35 AM our flight deplaned to enter customs and immigration. Fortunately our flight was an early arrival and the length of time in both was about 20 minutes until we were escorted to the Couples Lounge by the Apple representative. Checked in at lounge and had a few Red Stripe beers before we were escorted to the transportation bus. COmment on the Club Mobay arrival service. Certainbly was not worth the price since our entry was so fast. COuples Lounge had all the amenities we needed before departing for CSS.
Transportation to CSS.
It was about a 90 minute trip. The roads were modern and unlike the roads of the early 90s with their twists and turns and crazy drivers passing at every turn. This was one of the most relaxing road trips I have ever been on in Jamaica. Driver was friendly and engaging which helped make the trip pass quickly.
Arrival at CSS.
Pretty uneventful.
Checked in, assigned room. We were not offered taht cool towel or champagne but ijt really did not matter. Checked out the view from the lobby terrace and it was magnificent. Driven to room and unpacked shortly thereafter.
Building B Room.
Although dated it was large and comfortable. Sitting area was a nice touch as was the balcony. The accomodations were not lacking in any way. Bathroom was large and shower always had hot water.
Restaurants.
Cassanova was outstanding. Pallazini was delicious. Certainly not your Mortons or Capital Grille but the food was delicious. Breakfast was excellent with a great cup of Jamiacian coffe to begin your day. I did not see anyone that came to loose weight, we certainly did not
Beverages.
Bars were adequate with a variety of mixed drinks and tropical drinks. Never tire of receiving a cold drink on a hot day.
Service.
Service provided by the staff are just as the reviews indicate. A group of dedicated staff that are there to make your stay enjoyable. All the praise throughout the reviews are well deserved.
Grounds.
They are as well maintained and stunning as described. Its is a living botanical garden which you are invited to explore.
Beach and Pools.
Although small the main pool was never crowded. The beach was clean and picturesque. The ocean was a disappointment being shallow and less than clear.
Outside activities.
Did the Dunns River tour and it was as good as ever. Took the Blue Mountain Bike Tour. It was off the beaten path and allowed us to see the remote inhabitated area of Jamaica. The roads are frightening.
Minor Irritations.
Lack of mint for Mojitos. Refilling mini bar was 2 days late after 3 calls. Although an irratant it did not detract from our stay.

Room Tip: B block is convenient with a great beach view. Walking the steps and hills is a task.
1  Thank Steelerfan48

Dear Steelerfan 48,

Thank you for your vacation review. We are delighted that you had a great driving experience to the resort. The staff are our biggest asset and we are happy they have continued to exceed expectations. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience incurred with regards to the nonavailabilty of mint and the mini bar. We do look forward to hosting you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
1 mi away
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!